Oasis of the seas crew members positive for Covid-19

BND

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Here’s an interesting article about the original owner (John Ruzic) and the history of CocoCay.  He also wrote a book about it. (The Shallow  Sea).

https://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/wild-life-for-author-neil-ruzic-adventure-is-not-only/article_df1e20ab-290d-5693-bbd2-61c23feb71c3.html

Just another example of why not to believe everything you read on Wikipedia. 

Thanks for the link. That was very interesting to read.

• Like 1

Watched 2011 Contagion last night. Eerily similar to what we are going through with Covid19. I sure hope governments around the world finally wake up and get their countries better prepared for the next one. These pandemics keep happening more frequently now. Science doesn't lie.

• Like 1

Chris posted a new video today. He spent several hours at Miami International and finally boarded his flight to London/Heathrow. Later he posted from Heathrow awaiting flight to Manchester. He spoke of no illness on the Oasis. Hopefully he will arrive home healthy.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I was thinking about when the last official cruise ended on March 15th.  I thought maybe some of the crew was allowed off of the ship that day when the passengers were leaving the ship too.

What I heard on at least one Royal ship was no, Crew staying longer did not get off then and havent been since

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Coralc said:

Thanks. That is just unfathomable to me in California. :classic_smile:

That's not surprising locals in the Hampton's are concerned about NYC residents that are going to their summer homes.  Our Governor in Jersey has advised residents not to go to the Jersey Shore and stay home.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I doubt they would let the crew off.  Seems to defeat the idea of being separated from all. I would think that most of the island workers have been sent home except for a Skelton crew to maintain it.

Once I got through all the "survey clicks", to read the article it was quite interesting.  

You could have denied the survey and still got the article.

4 hours ago, nelblu said:

You could have denied the survey and still got the article.

I didn’t see the option. Usually it is listed on the bottom.  The original owner seemed quite “interesting” though. 

8 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I didn’t see the option. Usually it is listed on the bottom.  The original owner seemed quite “interesting” though. 

I didn't have the option either until I closed the site and then clicked on the link a second time.

17 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

Watched 2011 Contagion last night. Eerily similar to what we are going through with Covid19. I sure hope governments around the world finally wake up and get their countries better prepared for the next one. These pandemics keep happening more frequently now. Science doesn't lie.

I have watched this twice already and as frightening covid 19 is,  the strain in the movie  had an 80% death rate.

One thing after watching this, you realize how often we don't pay attention to our surroundings e.g, eating nuts out of a common bowl, coughing people on elevators etc.  Spooky stuff.

Edited by Judyrem

7 hours ago, BND said:

Video (audio actually) recording of the Captain talking about the situation.  

There are things I just don't understand here. This ship dropped off its last passengers on its last cruise and all were left were the crew. They they went out to seas, wherever, off the Bahamas I guess. The crew were allowed to use o good portion of the ship which is very nice. Where did they get these tests from? Why were they testing in the first place, symptoms or precaution? What is the plan if these people are really sick? How do they know its only 14 unless they tested everyone? I'm just a little confused by some of this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The docked early in the week to let crew off and pick up supplies, they could easily have received some then. 

Also they could they have been dropped by chopper or boat as I think Oasis has been to closer to Florida the last few days. 

Just thinking out loud, all the tests had to be done and then samples send to be tested with a few days delay.  I wonder if they were dropped off when the crew was earlier this week?  Or maybe they were tested on the ship the same day they came in for supplies?

Edited by A&L_Ont

Chris has posted this.  I wasn't looking for it but it just came up.

Since it came as a suggestion while I was watching an unrelated video, I don't think there's any reason not to post it.

Roy

• Like 1

There are now over 60 confirmed cases onboard the Oasis with 200 others showing symptoms. 

They just off loaded one deathly ill crew member by life boat and brought him to shore at Port Everglades

Edited by Retired LEO

Just now, Retired LEO said:

There are now over 60 confirmed cases onboard the Oasis with 200 others showing symptoms. 

They just off loaded one deathly ill crew member by life boat and brought him on shore in Ft. Lauderdale. 

200?!?!? I was just about to post that we should all pray no one out of the 51 gets critically ill.

This ... and the current Zaandam saga, what else? ...  is super bad for the industry.

The press will be all over this if death(s) occur.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Retired LEO said:

They just off loaded one deathly ill crew member by life boat and brought him to shore at Port Everglades

Please post the link / Source for the info?