Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

On 7/14/2020 at 3:48 PM, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

6  containers that is a lot for just lugge ??????

Philip Stolte posted on FB today the following message: i’m in the middle of asking all President club members and world cruise guests to help us switch to the Zaandam next year, Mr Gentry has already started but we are still looking for the correct email adress of the new ceo Gus, please help us (henk, christel, shiv, ronald, Presty, Tina, etc) to get on the Zaandam next year to be ready for the 2022 WC.

For those of us who do the World Cruise, it might help if we also write to the new President that we would like the crew that was on the Amsterdam this year moved to the Zaandam.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Storylady said:

Philip Stolte posted on FB today the following message: i’m in the middle of asking all President club members and world cruise guests to help us switch to the Zaandam next year, Mr Gentry has already started but we are still looking for the correct email adress of the new ceo Gus, please help us (henk, christel, shiv, ronald, Presty, Tina, etc) to get on the Zaandam next year to be ready for the 2022 WC.

For those of us who do the World Cruise, it might help if we also write to the new President that we would like the crew that was on the Amsterdam this year moved to the Zaandam.

The only issue with this is that there is no GWV scheduled for "next year," a mere five-six months from today. Zaanie is scheduled to take over in 2022

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

The only issue with this is that there is no GWV scheduled for "next year," a mere five-six months from today. Zaanie is scheduled to take over in 2022

WC 2022 was mentioned in Philip Stolte’s message. My error in saying this year when I definitely know the WC 2021 was postponed to 2022 was a mistake in typing too fast and not checking what I wrote. So sorry for any confusion.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Storylady said:

Received  an email from.  “ Nathan Brockmann, Holland America, office of the president“

guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

Just an FYI, for those of you awaiting the return of your luggage, @richwmn has added the Gulf Bridge’s progress to his fleet report. He updates it everyday and the title of the thread is “The Daily for ....” Just replace the dots with the day’s date. 

Best wishes for a speedy reunion!

We all know that a world cruise would not be the same if there were a different set of officers and crew on the Zaandam 2022.  We are suggesting that letters be sent to Gus (the new CEO) about the importance of the current staff and officers.

Jeff Gentry created a "road map" for a letter to write to Gus about GWC2022 officers and crew. I mentioned the names of some of the dining room officers and Jeff's response was to let these officers choose their own 'teams'.
Either way, this is a 'road map and should not be copy pasted because it will look too 'fake'. Let's make each letter a little different to show how personal this issue is to us.

109570594_2716136255154717_2974819567358848450_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=CiEFqaTpbrIAX-RrXvB&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=ece55a82820dfba5087ca72adbade4a3&oe=5F392633

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Just an FYI, for those of you awaiting the return of your luggage, @richwmn has added the Gulf Bridge’s progress to his fleet report. He updates it everyday and the title of the thread is “The Daily for ....” Just replace the dots with the day’s date. 

Best wishes for a speedy reunion!

Actually, I've been tacking Gulf Bridge onto Rich's reports.  I know way back in the day HAL was more in the transportation business than the leisure business and the passenger ships all ended in dam while the freighters and mixed cargo/passenger ships had other suffixes.  Perhaps the Gulf Bridge could become an honorary HAL ship for now, perhaps the Gulf Bridgedijk.

Roy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Actually, I've been tacking Gulf Bridge onto Rich's reports.  I know way back in the day HAL was more in the transportation business than the leisure business and the passenger ships all ended in dam while the freighters and mixed cargo/passenger ships had other suffixes.  Perhaps the Gulf Bridge could become an honorary HAL ship for now, perhaps the Gulf Bridgedijk.

Sorry Roy.  I did not realize you were doing this. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

I for one am hoping for a mix of crew from both ships...... the best of the best...... sounds like some are worried about not feeling entitled!

I don’t feel if I am entitled to ask that some of the key people that I think have done an excellent job are onboard. It is not as if we are asking for the whole Amsterdam crew be transferred. But having familiar faces onboard gives me a sense of coming home. I have been on cruise where I didn’t know the staff such as the time I sailed the Zaandam years ago. And it was my least favorite cruise. For me the crew make the cruise. The key persons will request the rest of the crew and naturally they will chose people that are extremely experienced at handling World Cruise guests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Storylady said:

gives me a sense of coming home.

Whenever, wherever, I step aboard a Holland America Line ship, I have that sense "of coming home".  

If I recognize some crew members or they recognize me, such only adds a much appreciated feeling of "Welcome".  

Even if the entire ship's compliment is new to me, I still have that feeling that "this is still my cruising home".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Whenever, wherever, I step aboard a Holland America Line ship, I have that sense "of coming home".  

If I recognize some crew members or they recognize me, such only adds a much appreciated feeling of "Welcome".  

Even if the entire ship's compliment is new to me, I still have that feeling that "this is still my cruising home".

Agreed.

I enjoy meeting new crew members on each cruise (and passengers) and possibly seeing them on other ships. That to me is more of an experience and "family" than having the same crew on each time. This last GWC was not the same as others and honestly, it wasn't the best crew (a few had never sailed on a ship). Obviously we retired a great Captain and to me the rest could be replaced by other crew that have as much experience and have not become "influenced". I witnessed a few of these people that are being requested as definitely catering to specific passengers and ignoring requests of others. Once things get to that point, it becomes a problem for other passengers. Obviously they cannot please every passenger but I would much rather experience the best crew for the sake of overall passenger experience and not just because I personally like a crew member. IMO

• Like 3

Just an outside opinion being only a 1 & 1/2  full WC individual  (‘18 & ‘20).

I’m not convinced that a ‘22 would be a reality. Whether folks would like certain individuals from prior WC’s is not really an issue IMO. Me thinks the Zaandam folks may take an issue with your ‘issue’.

And BTW, I enjoy Philip, Manny, Tina and all the good folks on prior WC’s. Time to give other qualified and friendly folks to serve you?

Seriously, at this point, without a safe & proven vaccination for the current ‘flu’, aka
COVID, the cruise line industry & past cruises  will be a memory only.

And...HAL have folks signed up for the ‘21 WC, folks on the ‘18 WC that made deposits for the ‘21 & ‘ 22 with various FCC’’s and folks that made deposits for the ‘22 WC only. What a mess, no?

Perhaps a larger ship, I.e N. Statedam, might be required for the tentative ‘22 WC ( will need deep water port perhaps?).

Goodness, I hope the WC reservation desk (& the CS folks) are getting hazardous duty pay at this point.

For the time being, say the next two years or so, I would consider optional travel plans beyond cruising.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 4

6 hours ago, prescottbob said:

Just an outside opinion being only a 1 & 1/2  full WC individual  (‘18 & ‘20).

I’m not convinced that a ‘22 would be a reality. Whether folks would like certain individuals from prior WC’s is not really an issue IMO. Me thinks the Zaandam folks may take an issue with your ‘issue’.

And BTW, I enjoy Philip, Manny, Tina and all the good folks on prior WC’s. Time to give other qualified and friendly folks to serve you?

Seriously, at this point, without a safe & proven vaccination for the current ‘flu’, aka
COVID, the cruise line industry & past cruises  will be a memory only.

And...HAL have folks signed up for the ‘21 WC, folks on the ‘18 WC that made deposits for the ‘21 & ‘ 22 with various FCC’’s and folks that made deposits for the ‘22 WC only. What a mess, no?

Perhaps a larger ship, I.e N. Statedam, might be required for the tentative ‘22 WC ( will need deep water port perhaps?).

Goodness, I hope the WC reservation desk (& the CS folks) are getting hazardous duty pay at this point.

For the time being, say the next two years or so, I would consider optional travel plans beyond cruising.

Be well.

Bob

Thank you, Bob, as always the voice of reason.

Lonny

• Like 2

Just received this letter from HAL concerning our luggage.

July 20, 2020

Dear Valued Guest,

I am pleased to be able to provide you with another update on the status of your luggage from your Grand World Voyage earlier this year.

In my last note I advised that your luggage had been offloaded to the Singapore Cruise Terminal. It has now cleared all necessary formalities, and has been loaded onto a container ship which departed from Singapore last week. Amsterdam’s Hotel Director, Henk Mensink, personally oversaw the loading and securing of the shipping container, which has been sealed to safeguard its contents during transit.

We anticipate that the ship will arrive in Fort Lauderdale, Florida around August 27, 2020. We will reach out again once we have an update on the exact timing and details of the land shipment from Florida to your home, but wanted to update you on the current progress.

I know you are eager to receive your belongings, and once again thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Gregory Crick

Director, Guest Relations

• Like 1

20 hours ago, REOVA said:

Agreed.

I enjoy meeting new crew members on each cruise (and passengers) and possibly seeing them on other ships. That to me is more of an experience and "family" than having the same crew on each time. This last GWC was not the same as others and honestly, it wasn't the best crew (a few had never sailed on a ship). Obviously we retired a great Captain and to me the rest could be replaced by other crew that have as much experience and have not become "influenced". I witnessed a few of these people that are being requested as definitely catering to specific passengers and ignoring requests of others. Once things get to that point, it becomes a problem for other passengers. Obviously they cannot please every passenger but I would much rather experience the best crew for the sake of overall passenger experience and not just because I personally like a crew member. IMO

My bolding above.  As new HAL passengers on the 2017 WC we witnessed the same behavior.  It was not pleasant to be sitting in the lido waiting for something while the crew chatted up their favorite passengers.  Interestingly we did not get on the ship in Ft Lauderdale that year, we boarded in San Diego so it wasn't like they were just seeing them for the first time.

It was so bad we mentioned it to the cruise director (who had solicited our comments as new wc passengers), after that the behavior stopped.  

I agree that the crew makes the cruise, we weren't that impressed with the ship itself but the crew (after the aforementioned blip) was superb.  A lot of crew members may move on with their lives and not come back.  Whatever the make up of the crew, I would have confidence in HAL to put together the best group possible.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cruise NH said:

My bolding above.  As new HAL passengers on the 2017 WC we witnessed the same behavior.  It was not pleasant to be sitting in the lido waiting for something while the crew chatted up their favorite passengers.  Interestingly we did not get on the ship in Ft Lauderdale that year, we boarded in San Diego so it wasn't like they were just seeing them for the first time.

It was so bad we mentioned it to the cruise director (who had solicited our comments as new wc passengers), after that the behavior stopped.  

I agree that the crew makes the cruise, we weren't that impressed with the ship itself but the crew (after the aforementioned blip) was superb.  A lot of crew members may move on with their lives and not come back.  Whatever the make up of the crew, I would have confidence in HAL to put together the best group possible.

I still don’t think it hurts to mention those crew that did an above and beyond job and that we would enjoy having onboard again. Having sailed on several non-grand voyage ships, the crew isn’t permanent to a particular ship only the Prinsendam and Amsterdam who did the Grand Voyage was this true.

i plan on sending a letter commending those crew members who made our World Cruise 2020 such a memorable voyage as we never receive survey for the WC 2020.

• Like 1

REOVA and Cruise NH, Thank you for these posts.  I am one, of possibly many, who follows the HAL WC and the WC of other lines.  When we take our first WC I don't want to be treated like a second class passenger because we are not "known" to the crew.  I think it wonderful that crew and passengers develop a relationship but not at the expense of "newbies."  TheInsideCabin gave a wonderful live report from their first HAL WC and they have been on others.  It was nice to see that they did not feel like fish out of water.  Thanks again for your posts that welcome all crew.  Cherie  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, REOVA said:

I witnessed a few of these people that are being requested as definitely catering to specific passengers and ignoring requests of others.

I have not witnessed this type of behavior, but I have witnessed "a sense of entitlement" from a few regular world cruise guests.  

I recall vividly an episode at the Amsterdam's Crow's Nest Bar when I arrived before the usual occupants of some seats at the Bar they "always sat".  I sat at one of those seats (which is where I had been wanting to sit).  The "regulars" arrived.  The "how dare you sit in my seat" expression was obvious by them.  I sat.  It's a wonder that the bartenders did not break out laughing at the situation.  Amazingly, these 3 people found a table where they could enjoy their pre-dinner HH.  

This sense of "entitlement" on the part of a few with whom I met on a world cruise is a reason why I would not consider booking a world cruise again.  Their attitude and "expectations" so negatively influence a new cruiser for such an experience that it is difficult to balance that with the positive influences from other regular world cruisers that are welcoming and considerate.  

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have not witnessed this type of behavior, but I have witnessed "a sense of entitlement" from a few regular world cruise guests.  

I recall vividly an episode at the Amsterdam's Crow's Nest Bar when I arrived before the usual occupants of some seats at the Bar they "always sat".  I sat at one of those seats (which is where I had been wanting to sit).  The "regulars" arrived.  The "how dare you sit in my seat" expression was obvious by them.  I sat.  It's a wonder that the bartenders did not break out laughing at the situation.  Amazingly, these 3 people found a table where they could enjoy their pre-dinner HH.  

This sense of "entitlement" on the part of a few with whom I met on a world cruise is a reason why I would not consider booking a world cruise again.  Their attitude and "expectations" so negatively influence a new cruiser for such an experience that it is difficult to balance that with the positive influences from other regular world cruisers that are welcoming and considerate.  

Wow.  Thank you so much for this post.  This type of behavior would make me want to put my finger down my throat and gag.  There were several posts on 2020 HAL WC blogs where "entitled" behavior was observed and the observers burst out laughing.  You seem to take segments of more than one WC voyage and that may be the "ticket."  It's such a special experience and not everyone can repeat it.  Thank you again for your post,  Cherie   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cccole said:

Wow.  Thank you so much for this post.  This type of behavior would make me want to put my finger down my throat and gag.  There were several posts on 2020 HAL WC blogs where "entitled" behavior was observed and the observers burst out laughing.  You seem to take segments of more than one WC voyage and that may be the "ticket."  It's such a special experience and not everyone can repeat it.  Thank you again for your post,  Cherie   

I sailed on the last segment of the 2007 world cruise from Civitavecchia to Fort Lauderdale as a pre-view of what I might experience during my already booked 2008 Grand World Voyage.  Those 17 days in 2007:  no cliques that I witnessed, all guests whom I encountered were friendly and just as I had experienced on previous HAL cruises.  As usual, the crew were great.  2008 was a different story.  I have my suspicions as to why which I will keep to myself because they would be offensive to some more recent world cruise guests, I think.  

One Officer that I still remember and must laud was Captain van Zaane.  I had sailed with him before and was pleased that he was at the helm of Amsterdam.  Friendly, competent, and a superior handler of the Amsterdam.  I accurately don't recall the Asian port in which we docked, but he was able to maneuver the ship in a very small dock area astern of a freighter at our bow and a breakwater just feet from our stern.  

My world cruise of 2008 provided so many experiences and memories!  I am so glad that I was able to do so then.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cccole said:

All great memories.  Sorry, I thought you had been on WC segments of more than one cruise line in 2020.  You have certainly had amazing experiences.  And, I'm sure, many more in the future.  Cherie 

Cherie,

I am most appreciative of your kind post.  Thank you and God bless you for doing so!  

Only one WC segment along with the entire WC 2008 cruise, but I have been able to enjoy other long cruises ranging from 64 days and fewer.  I have been blessed to experience what I have.  I am thankful.  Not just for the travel experience, but also because of the fellow cruisers whom I have met and who influenced my cruise experience.  These good people have become friends.  Some of whom I have sailed with once again.  Who would ever thought such would happen when I first visited the RMS Queen Mary in New York prior to her sailing when I was a young teenager?  (I left that ship visit and sailing with the thought:  I HAVE TO DO THIS!)  I am so thankful that thought became true 61 times.  

#62?  I hope.    

• Like 2