Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

Just a heads up re: the names in this "2021 GWV letter" to HAL's new president; Captain Jeroen Schuchmann, although a very competent master, unlike the other four names mentioned, has never done a Grand World Voyage in that position. His current contract on Amsterdam in these uncertain times after relieving long-time GWV Captain Mercer, is his first time on that ship and he gets to take her on her final HAL voyage to her new owners in Cyprus (ironically, as he did with Prinsendam about one year ago). He was promoted to captain five years ago and has served all his time in that capacity on the former Prinsendam. Prior to his 2015 promotion, he was a long-time staff captain on that same Prinsendam

Additionally, the vast majority of the crew do not work a "GWV contract" per se. Their contracts can commence several months prior to the start of the GWV and end in the middle of, or anywhere during, it. In other words, crew does repatriate during the GWV in various ports and others embark on that particular day to take their place.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just a heads up re: the names in this "2021 GWV letter" to HAL's new president; Captain Jeroen Schuchmann, although a very competent master, unlike the other four names mentioned, has never done a Grand World Voyage in that position. His current contract on Amsterdam in these uncertain times after relieving long-time GWV Captain Mercer, is his first time on that ship and he gets to take her on her final HAL voyage to her new owners in Cyprus (ironically, as he did with Prinsendam about one year ago). He was promoted to captain five years ago and has served all his time in that capacity on the former Prinsendam. Prior to his 2015 promotion, he was a long-time staff captain on that same Prinsendam

Additionally, the vast majority of the crew do not work a "GWV contract" per se. Their contracts can commence several months prior to the start of the GWV and end in the middle of, or anywhere during, it. In other words, crew does repatriate during the GWV in various ports and others embark on that particular day to take their place.

Well one hesitates to contradict Copper 10-8 from whom we enjoy his many great insights and super information, especially about HAL, the ships and the folks who sail them.  But in this case he has a small error.  This is not the first time Captain Jeroen Schuchmann has sailed the ms Amsterdam.  We joined Jeroen in San Diego, Dec 2019, prior to our WC2020, for our Holiday Cruise. We know he had captained the ship into the South Pacific.  Jeroen did come from the Prinsendam where we first met him as he worked for Captain Tim Roberts. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vancpl said:

Well one hesitates to contradict Copper 10-8 from whom we enjoy his many great insights and super information, especially about HAL, the ships and the folks who sail them.  But in this case he has a small error.  This is not the first time Captain Jeroen Schuchmann has sailed the ms Amsterdam.  We joined Jeroen in San Diego, Dec 2019, prior to our WC2020, for our Holiday Cruise. We know he had captained the ship into the South Pacific.  Jeroen did come from the Prinsendam where we first met him as he worked for Captain Tim Roberts. 

I sit corrected, thanks! 😉 He must have replaced another long-time A'dam captain at that time, Fred Eversen

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

I sit corrected, thanks! 😉 He must have replaced another long-time A'dam captain at that time, Fred Eversen

Copper10-8 - You can probably polish that halo a little and it will be back to normal!!!!  Cherie 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, whogo said:

I am surprised that some of the luggage was not sent by FedEx from Asia (or Australia), wasn't that one of the perks for those who booked the world cruise early?

I think all of the "perks" went out the window when we were dumped off the ship in Australia.  Probably would involve too much red tape and hassle to FedEx all the luggage individually back to the US.  Much easier to send it in a bulk container and sort it out at the FedEx terminal in Miami.

2 minutes ago, Fredspak said:

I think all of the "perks" went out the window when we were dumped off the ship in Australia.  Probably would involve too much red tape and hassle to FedEx all the luggage individually back to the US.  Much easier to send it in a bulk container and sort it out at the FedEx terminal in Miami.

I just hope you world cruisers get your luggage back and soon. This is over 4 months and counting 

1 hour ago, whogo said:

I am surprised that some of the luggage was not sent by FedEx from Asia (or Australia), wasn't that one of the perks for those who booked the world cruise early?

That perk was shipping to and from FLL.  Those how do not have that perk like us had to pay $100/suitcase or $500 for the privledge.

4 hours ago, vancpl said:

That is correct we were on that same cruise, the Zaanie will be a new one for him, which is the same class, he's a great captain..

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Captain Jeroen Schuchmann, although a very competent master, unlike the other four names mentioned, has never done a Grand World Voyage in that position

Not a Grand World Voyage but he has done at least one Grand Voyage (Grand Antarctica 2019) as Master.  However,  everybody who does a Grand Voyage does it once for the first time and I'm sure HAL has a number of Captains who could do a superb job.  What I find a bit unsettling is that other than Captain Schuchmann, everyone else mentioned was part of previous Amsterdam GWV and this to me kind of blows out of the water the idea that they are trying to keep a great crew together.  It sounds to me more like the idea is "we're special and we want to hand pick our crew".  I'm sure a lot of 5-star Mariners would disagree.

Roy

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It sounds to me more like the idea is "we're special and we want to hand pick our crew".  I'm sure a lot of 5-star Mariners would disagree.

I understand where you are coming from with your first quoted sentence.  I experienced the "entitlement" attitude by a small minority of guests on my GWV and have posted about that on CC more than once.  

I participated in naming some "special to me" crew members that I have experienced not just during the GWV, but also on other cruises, both long and short.  They just happened to serve on my GWV as well as another cruise or so.

With a reduction in the size of the fleet and the need for fewer HAL crew members, those crew members whom I mentioned are those that I would like to see HAL keep employed.

This is a topic that I have not read on CC that concerns the economic future of those HAL crew in all Departments whose jobs are gone because the possible ships on which they might be assigned are no longer a part of HAL or even of the family of CCL operating companies.  

• Like 1

I expect those who have sailed around the world half a dozen times or more on the same ship with the same captain and the same crew are likely to feel a bit entitled.... human nature.

I thought it a bit "over the top" to ask HAL to reshuffle crew assignments for the entire fleet just so they could sail  with their favorite crew members....or crew members they knew....or thought they knew.

IMO

Edited by DFD1

24 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

I expect those who have sailed around the world half a dozen times or more on the same ship with the same captain and the same crew are likely to feel a bit entitled.... human nature.

I thought it a bit "over the top" to ask HAL to reshuffle crew assignments for the entire fleet just so they could sail  with their favorite crew members....or crew members they knew....or thought they knew.

IMO

very true

1 hour ago, DFD1 said:

Not "entitled", maybe, but it may be the same feeling that I have when I embark a HAL ship:  I AM HOME!

There is a difference between the feeling of "I AM HOME" and the sense of "entitlement" that I have experienced.  

• Like 2

The current captain rotation on Zaandam is/will be Captains Ane Jan Smit and Joost Eldering, both very experienced (Eldering most recently did several tours on Seabourn Quest while Smit "grew up through the ranks" on Maasdam, starting as cadet)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The current captain rotation on Zaandam is/will be Captains Ane Jan Smit and Joost Eldering, both very experienced (Eldering most recently did several tours on Seabourn Quest while Smit "grew up through the ranks" on Maasdam, starting as cadet)

Wasn’t Captain Smit the one to bring Zaandam safely home when this whole mess started ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

I'll "correct" you a tad more 😎 in that Captain Schuchmann was already on the Amsterdam when we got on late September for the Incan Empires and continued on until Jan 4th when Captain Mercer came aboard.  After the Incan cruise, we did the 51 day Tales of the Pacific.  I'm not sure when he started but it was while the ship was still in Alaska.

Linda R.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

I'll "correct" you a tad more 😎 in that Captain Schuchmann was already on the Amsterdam when we got on late September for the Incan Empires and continued on until Jan 4th when Captain Mercer came aboard.  After the Incan cruise, we did the 51 day Tales of the Pacific.  I'm not sure when he started but it was while the ship was still in Alaska.

Linda R.

He started 30 Sep 2019 for that 35-day Seattle-San Diego 😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Wasn’t Captain Smit the one to bring Zaandam safely home when this whole mess started ?

He sure was, not to be confused with Capt. Vincent Smit, currently one of Noordam's captains, no relation to Ane Jan

Edited by Copper10-8

12 hours ago, tjcox9 said:

Sorry to be a spelling nerd, but please make that stationery!  

I am embarrassed when I see that I have made the their/there/they're mistake or it's/its or straight/strait, I know* better, but I would never have caught the stationery/stationary error. Thanks for pointing it out, maybe I will remember.

*I resisted the urge to spell it 'no'.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Not a Grand World Voyage but he has done at least one Grand Voyage (Grand Antarctica 2019) as Master.  However,  everybody who does a Grand Voyage does it once for the first time and I'm sure HAL has a number of Captains who could do a superb job.  What I find a bit unsettling is that other than Captain Schuchmann, everyone else mentioned was part of previous Amsterdam GWV and this to me kind of blows out of the water the idea that they are trying to keep a great crew together.  It sounds to me more like the idea is "we're special and we want to hand pick our crew".  I'm sure a lot of 5-star Mariners would disagree.

Roy

i am a 5 star mariner with hal's gold medal for more than 500 real cruisedays on a hal ship. and i dont disagree

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

He sure was, not to be confused with Capt. Vincent Smit, currently one of Noordam's captains, no relation to Ane Jan

John:  You have great knowledge of the HALLAND AMERICA LINE and her Captains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as any ship’s current crew being ‘displaced’ due to requests:

At this time, NONE of the ships have their regular customer service staff aboard. They are mostly in Indonesia, or the Philippines, or wherever home is. By the time sailing resumes, their contracts will be up, and fewer new contracts will be available.
IMHO, HAL will likely offer contracts to those with the best personnel files or most seniority, as ships gradually come  back ‘on line’. The odds of management looking up who was working on any specific ship in March and getting the whole band back together seems highly unlikely. Whether or not people make requests for specific crew on the ships that take over the Grand Voyages, the previous crews have already been displaced.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

As far as any ship’s current crew being ‘displaced’ due to requests:

At this time, NONE of the ships have their regular customer service staff aboard. They are mostly in Indonesia, or the Philippines, or wherever home is. By the time sailing resumes, their contracts will be up, and fewer new contracts will be available.
IMHO, HAL will likely offer contracts to those with the best personnel files or most seniority, as ships gradually come  back ‘on line’. The odds of management looking up who was working on any specific ship in March and getting the whole band back together seems highly unlikely. Whether or not people make requests for specific crew on the ships that take over the Grand Voyages, the previous crews have already been displaced.

That would make sense.

• Like 2