How many more times does RCCL suspends cruises before they say enough is enough for 2020 ?

Jimbo

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

The Europeans might ban people from North America, similar to the travel restrictions currently between Canada and the US.

I could see the Schengen visa applied to all countries that do not have direct medical agreements with European countries. This visa has a proof of health care provision so that European countries do not get stuck with the bill for these visitors if they suffer illness or injury. This already applies to all but 50 countries in the world. That could be reduced and then require visas for Americans. 

Canada and Australia usually have direct agreements for care of their citizens while abroad and they are usually reciprocal. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 20165 said:

right, we will slowly start geting back to normal after we get over the initial shock, but that doesnt mean you wont get it, just that the hospital will have the capacity to treat you.  Like Milwaukee Eight said, we are all at risk until there is a vaccine. 

Or a cure.

3 hours ago, MADflyer said:

I could see the Schengen visa applied to all countries that do not have direct medical agreements with European countries. This visa has a proof of health care provision so that European countries do not get stuck with the bill for these visitors if they suffer illness or injury. This already applies to all but 50 countries in the world. That could be reduced and then require visas for Americans. 

Canada and Australia usually have direct agreements for care of their citizens while abroad and they are usually reciprocal. 

Canada has an agreement for care of their citizens abroad?   first I've heard of that.

Canadians travelling outside of Canada must buy health insurance.

I am very doubtful that cruising will resume anytime soon. We have already had a May TA cancelled and are not very hopeful about sailing our September and November 2020 cruises. I think that the charts showing the peak and plateau estimates are helpful, but just because a certain region has reached one of these milestones does not mean that traveling can then safely resume there any time soon. Until a vaccine is developed and more is learned about the virus and it's treatment, I think it's doubtful that countries will welcome foreign travelers and allow ships to dock in their ports. 

1 hour ago, M&A said:

Canada has an agreement for care of their citizens abroad?   first I've heard of that.

Canadians travelling outside of Canada must buy health insurance.

Are Canadians good about always buying travel insurance when they go abroad? The only change would be with the Schengen visa is  that proof of travel health insurance is necessary to get the visa for entry along with a small fee, I would imagine. 

Oddly, I looked at Sweden's medical agreement documents now and you are right, it is not Canada, but the agreement is actually just with Quebec and not the whole country. 

18 minutes ago, COCKYMARK said:

All these folks that keep saying this will happen and that will happen and no cruises this year and all that go buy me a lottery ticket or give me your crystal ball!

Really don’t need a crystal ball.  A little common sense goes a long way.  No comparison from a lotto ticket to people getting very sick and over 10,500 already dead.  Anyone really want to gamble on that?  This virus is not through.  There will be rolling hot spots for the next few weeks.  You can bet on that and more will get sick and die.   Is it really worth the gamble?

• Like 3

I see no reason why Royal Caribbean wouldn’t just wait and cancel month by month.

i do not believe the whole year will be cancelled. I don’t think realistically cruises will start up before Aug or Sep or even worse case Oct. But even a couple of months of revenue is better than nothing. If Royal canceled the rest of the year, their stock would drop even more. 

• Like 3

During our governments press conference tonight where they stated Australia is leading the way in the world in flattening the curve.  300,000 tests, 6,000 positive, 44 deaths & 14 of those cruise passengers.  Social distancing will be in place for at least 6 months & international travel will not resume to normal levels for at least another 12 to 18 months!  In 12-18 months a vaccine should be available.  Until then our borders will be closed.  
I assume all other countries will also be closed, therefore, not much cruising happening anywhere in the world until a vaccine.  
A game changer could be finding a way to test for the virus with immediate results.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, COCKYMARK said:

All these folks that keep saying this will happen and that will happen and no cruises this year and all that go buy me a lottery ticket or give me your crystal ball!

If you pay attention to everything going on in the USA and around the world with COVID-19, you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to understand it is going to be a significant amount of time before cruise lines resume operations. This is far different than random luck associated with winning the lottery, that nobody can predict. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, COCKYMARK said:

No crystal ball needed. Just common sense. A cruise ship is a prime carrier of virus/bacteria on a good day. Social distancing is not going to stop immediately even when we flatten the curve. There is no way to social distance on a cruise ship. As this spreads from country to country, state to state, we have to hope that this doesn't rebound as people start to travel again. Cruising will be the last industry to reopen as it's non essential travel.

• Like 2

Hi,

RCL cannot cancel the year. They don't have the funds. They can barely refund

cruisers for cancelled cruises in March 2020. Look at the boards for refunds!!

They are coming up with various creative reasons for not cash refunding. They also

do not want all the issued IOU's (FCC) to be worthless. They recently

got a influx of funding but as far as I can tell it will be used to keep them going

and not for cash refunds. This is my opinion and it may be hopefully wrong. 

• Like 2

I also follow another cruise website and am amazed at the number of people on that site who truly believe their mid-May cruise is still going to sail. I don’t see cruises sailing again until at least the fall and possibly not until there is a vaccine available. I think the next round of cancellations will be through the end of May, then a full month at a time going forward. That would make it easier for everyone to keep up with the dates. I will take the refund when they cancel our cruise since there are too many unknowns at this point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lr657 said:

New guidelines from CDC regarding cruise ship passengers:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-ship/what-cdc-is-doing.html

These guidelines will definitely make any resumption of cruises debarking in the US more complicated.

To add no symptoms does not mean that you aren't infected. There really isn't any 100 percent precaution even with the CDC guidelines. 

4 hours ago, RKHOOKER said:

A game changer could be finding a way to test for the virus with immediate results.

I saw on my local news channel last night that there is now a test that will give a result in under 10 minutes.  Rapid test kit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I also follow another cruise website and am amazed at the number of people on that site who truly believe their mid-May cruise is still going to sail. I don’t see cruises sailing again until at least the fall and possibly not until there is a vaccine available. I think the next round of cancellations will be through the end of May, then a full month at a time going forward. That would make it easier for everyone to keep up with the dates. I will take the refund when they cancel our cruise since there are too many unknowns at this point.

Guess I wasn't too far off when I said to DW the other day that if cruise lines decided to open tomorrow and start cruising out of FLL, there'd be a lineup of morons as far as the eye could see waiting to get on a ship. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Guess I wasn't too far off when I said to DW the other day that if cruise lines decided to open tomorrow and start cruising out of FLL, there'd be a lineup of morons as far as the eye could see waiting to get on a ship. 

Sigh...yup...and the line will be much longer...social distancing in effect.

Just how exactly will social distancing work if and when passengers get onboard?

42 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Yep.  And then if a few people on the ship came down with the "flu" and it roamed around for weeks with nowhere to go while confining them to their cabins, they'd all be posting on facebook begging for help to get home.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Sigh...yup...and the line will be much longer...social distancing in effect.

Just how exactly will social distancing work if and when passengers get onboard?

On another thread the other day I was amazed to see the person said they were keeping their cruise and would upgrade to a balcony just in case they got quarantined. Priorities?

2 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

On another thread the other day I was amazed to see the person said they were keeping their cruise and would upgrade to a balcony just in case they got quarantined. Priorities?

I've seen more than one like that.  Nothing like planning for a fun filled vacation locked in a cruse ship cabin.  But hey, there would be clean towels left outside your room each day!

Edited by bouhunter

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

The good news is less than 1% of US citizens will get the virus.

The bad news?  99% can still be infected.

Far more than 1% will get the virus. It is likely that greater than 1% ALREADY have it or have had it. 

There are many like me who are presumed to have had it but were not reported to the CDC (not offered test as not severe). Four in my house have already had it...

Edited by pyrateslife4me84