How many more times does RCCL suspends cruises before they say enough is enough for 2020 ?

Jimbo

13 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Far more than 1% will get the virus. It is likely that greater than 1% ALREADY have it or have had it. 

There are many like me who are presumed to have had it but were not reported to the CDC (not offered test as not severe). Four in my house have already had it...

I don't disagree.  But that would mean 3.5 million citizens have it right now.

6 hours ago, adidas5676 said:

I saw on my local news channel last night that there is now a test that will give a result in under 10 minutes.  Rapid test kit.

Abbott Labs has come up with one, with 5 minutes test results. 

“Abbott’s highly touted machines after it said they could detect the novel coronavirus in as little as five minutes, or give a negative test result in about 13 minutes. That compares with at least 45 minutes to several days to get results from most of the other types of COVID-19 tests being used”.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/trump-touted-abbott-s-quick-covid-19-test-hhs-document-shows-only-5-500-are-way-to-entire-u

5 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Sigh...yup...and the line will be much longer...social distancing in effect.

Just how exactly will social distancing work if and when passengers get onboard?

I call the elevator for myself.😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Abbott Labs has come up with one, with 5 minutes test results. 

I think the big problem with the Abbott Labs fast test is they can only test 4 patients per hour. The other problem is that they will only have 5,500 of these machines ready for the entire USA.. 

The first version of the Korean fast system that was released at the beginning of February can process 24 tests per hour.  

The city of LA has purchased 20,000 of the Korean test kits at this point. Only 200 have arrived so far from Korea. 

I am not sure how this can be  used at this time to test an entire cruise ship embarking. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

I think the big problem with the Abbott Labs fast test is they can only test 4 patients per hour. The other problem is that they will only have 5,500 of these machines ready for the entire USA.. 

The first version of the Korean fast system that was released at the beginning of February can process 24 tests per hour.  

The city of LA has purchased 20,000 of the Korean test kits at this point. Only 200 have arrived so far from Korea. 

I am not sure how this can be  used at this time to test an entire cruise ship embarking. 

Ready by when?

4 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

Why the heck are we so behind? I actually know the answer. 🤣

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

100% with you. Current technologies have no way to effectively test a ship’s worth of people In a quick time.  As more tests are developed and the leaning curve is narrowed, they might have a capability to test a ship of crew and guests. I don’t see that being anytime soon though. 

edit to add: even if they could test all on board, it’s only the result for that moment in time. It can change within the minute, hour or day. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

On 4/6/2020 at 2:58 PM, M&A said:

Canada has an agreement for care of their citizens abroad?   first I've heard of that.

Canadians travelling outside of Canada must buy health insurance.

Yes and it is also  best to also buy something like Blue Cross to supplement the provincial  health plan especially if you are a senior.

12 hours ago, RKHOOKER said:

During our governments press conference tonight where they stated Australia is leading the way in the world in flattening the curve.  300,000 tests, 6,000 positive, 44 deaths & 14 of those cruise passengers.  Social distancing will be in place for at least 6 months & international travel will not resume to normal levels for at least another 12 to 18 months!  In 12-18 months a vaccine should be available.  Until then our borders will be closed.  
I assume all other countries will also be closed, therefore, not much cruising happening anywhere in the world until a vaccine.  
A game changer could be finding a way to test for the virus with immediate results.

I get what your saying but there is no way countries are going to keep their borders closed for 12-18 months. This virus is bad don't get me wrong and all the deaths are tragic. However eventually after the initial shock wears off, people are going to say enough is enough. We can't freeze the economy for the next 12-18 months. Big businesses just won't let it happen, if we keep things closed for that long, there will be nothing to come back to as far as the global economy is concerned. Now there might be more screening and continued mitigation efforts but things will eventually be forced to start getting back to some level of normalcy. Yes some countries might maintain tighter restrictions than others and some people will be afraid to travel but no major country is going to keep their borders closed for 12-18 months... 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Msett89 said:

I get what your saying but there is no way countries are going to keep their borders closed for 12-18 months. 

Denmark the only country RCI sail in Europe to start a plan to open up their country will keep border closures through mid-May and will not allow large gatherings and lack of social distancing through the end of August, 2020. 

1 hour ago, Msett89 said:

I get what your saying but there is no way countries are going to keep their borders closed for 12-18 months. This virus is bad don't get me wrong and all the deaths are tragic. However eventually after the initial shock wears off, people are going to say enough is enough. We can't freeze the economy for the next 12-18 months. Big businesses just won't let it happen, if we keep things closed for that long, there will be nothing to come back to as far as the global economy is concerned. Now there might be more screening and continued mitigation efforts but things will eventually be forced to start getting back to some level of normalcy. Yes some countries might maintain tighter restrictions than others and some people will be afraid to travel but no major country is going to keep their borders closed for 12-18 months... 

Yup.  News just came out that Wuhan, China (where the virus started) has finally opened after 10 weeks on lockdown.  I expect everyone in the world will be watching closely to see how they do, and we can probably expect a similar result here.  So if we locked down March 25 it will be sometime in June the country starts opening up-at the very earliest.

• Like 1

Let´s just asume everyone get´s tested before boarding- and then? One turns out positve- then what- put all those around the " postive " in Quarantine? Or does anyone really think the minimum 6 feet rule can be enforced on a check in line?

The postiv tested person stood in line quite a while... handing out the virus to those around him...! I do not see the use in that procedere!

Austria will start to reopen quite soon- their goverment reacted quick- after held responsible to be  the source for the spread through all of europe- in their skiing resorts- partying when virus was already there.

Here in Germany we all hope for the end of April for things to  start slowly  and step by step to return to ( a new) normal!

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Let´s just asume everyone get´s tested before boarding- and then? One turns out positve- then what- put all those around the " postive " in Quarantine? Or does anyone really think the minimum 6 feet rule can be enforced on a check in line?

The postiv tested person stood in line quite a while... handing out the virus to those around him...! I do not see the use in that procedere!

Austria will start to reopen quite soon- their goverment reacted quick- after held responsible to be  the source for the spread through all of europe- in their skiing resorts- partying when virus was already there.

Here in Germany we all hope for the end of April for things to  start slowly  and step by step to return to ( a new) normal!

Good points.  And they are actually predicting Florida's peak to hit late April, which I personally believe is incredibly soon considering how many cases we continue to get every single day.  I think it's far too soon, and expect it to be at least late May, early June at the very soonest before Florida starts to reopen-which means all Florida ports opening after that.

9 minutes ago, adidas5676 said:

Good points.  And they are actually predicting Florida's peak to hit late April, which I personally believe is incredibly soon considering how many cases we continue to get every single day.  I think it's far too soon, and expect it to be at least late May, early June at the very soonest before Florida starts to reopen-which means all Florida ports opening after that.

I agree- in every country there are different timelines- different health care systems- one country may be a step behind, one a step ahead- to point is not to reopen to soon- all the measurement would be in vane and for nothing then. I like to compare it to a patient getting back to work a bit to soon after recovery for an illness!

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Guess I wasn't too far off when I said to DW the other day that if cruise lines decided to open tomorrow and start cruising out of FLL, there'd be a lineup of morons as far as the eye could see waiting to get on a ship. 

We’d be on it

• Like 2

It's been proven over and over and over and over again, and said repeatedly  by health professionals all over the world, that if you get the virus today, quarantine and get tested 14 days later and determined healthy, you can easily go out on day 15 and get re-infected. It has been repeated over and over and over and over again that the virus is likely airborne via droplets, the reason for the 6 foot distancing. ALL OF YOU know this.

Regarding May, June, July.... heck any month in 2020, how do you fly without getting infected? How do you stay in hotel overnight where someone else slept the night before and possibly picked their nose, sneezed without covering their mouth in bed (and now your face is on the pillow), etc? How about hotel shuttles/shuttles to the cruise port? Are 5000 people trying to get on Oasis all stand 6 feet apart in line at the check-in? So having jumped all those hurdles, once you get on the ship how do you know when someone who is asymptomatic spittles a little bit when speaking excitedly beside you and droplets get on your hand? So now you're unknowingly infected and you touch your face, touch every handrail up the stairs, on the elevator, in the theatre that night, etc... infecting another 100 people. All those 100 people will go on and infect another 100 people......

Will Fort Lauderdale port even allow the ship back to port when a few people end up in medical with "sniffles" and "coughs"?

Maybe they do because you no one shows symptoms yet.... not for 14 days!!!!!! So you all get off the ship no problem.

Heck, the next 7 day boat load of 5000 cruisers come on for the next week to touch the same hand rails, pillows, etc.

The first week of cruisers are all home infecting everyone around them. And so on, and so on, and so on.....

And here's your 2nd wave of the virus.

By the 3rd or 4th cruise, when the virus is reported on a ship, I would only have to assume the media barrage and negative public sentiment would be so incredibly overwhelming against all cruise lines, 99% of the public would think any cruiser would've been absolutely stupid to be on a ship. I would hope that any/all evacuation and medical would be at their expense, and anyone they infect can sue them for all they are worth for the reckless arrogance and unfathomable ignorance to how serious this virus is after the daily barrage of information and pleading by every professional health care worker and your top mega-leader politicians.

Why do you think that every government in the entire world has shut down their economies... THE ENTIRE WORLD

Everyone.... take a step back.... put your brains back into your skull. You just cannot be emotional with this thought process.

If cruising restarts in the next month or two, I feel we have much bigger problems with our governments and society in general. And maybe that's ok.... we can get our 2nd wave of Corona and truly destroy our economy for real, have a couple of million people die instead only 200,000, and then we can get on to normal life in a couple of years. You two million obese, diabetic, heart ailment, over 60yrs of age people don't mind dying for the rest of us so that we can cruise, do you?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

It's been proven over and over and over and over again, and said repeatedly  by health professionals all over the world, that if you get the virus today, quarantine and get tested 14 days later and determined healthy, you can easily go out on day 15 and get re-infected. It has been repeated over and over and over and over again that the virus is likely airborne via droplets, the reason for the 6 foot distancing. ALL OF YOU know this.

Regarding May, June, July.... heck any month in 2020, how do you fly without getting infected? How do you stay in hotel overnight where someone else slept the night before and possibly picked their nose, sneezed without covering their mouth in bed (and now your face is on the pillow), etc? How about hotel shuttles/shuttles to the cruise port? Are 5000 people trying to get on Oasis all stand 6 feet apart in line at the check-in? So having jumped all those hurdles, once you get on the ship how do you know when someone who is asymptomatic spittles a little bit when speaking excitedly beside you and droplets get on your hand? So now you're unknowingly infected and you touch your face, touch every handrail up the stairs, on the elevator, in the theatre that night, etc... infecting another 100 people. All those 100 people will go on and infect another 100 people......

Will Fort Lauderdale port even allow the ship back to port when a few people end up in medical with "sniffles" and "coughs"?

Maybe they do because you no one shows symptoms yet.... not for 14 days!!!!!! So you all get off the ship no problem.

Heck, the next 7 day boat load of 5000 cruisers come on for the next week to touch the same hand rails, pillows, etc.

The first week of cruisers are all home infecting everyone around them. And so on, and so on, and so on.....

By the 3rd or 4th cruise, when the virus is reported on a ship, I would only have to assume the media barrage and negative public sentiment would be so incredibly overwhelming against all cruise lines, 99% of the public would think any cruiser would've been absolutely stupid to be on a ship. I would hope that any/all evacuation and medical would be at their expense, and anyone they infect can sue them for all they are worth for the reckless arrogance and unfathomable ignorance to how serious this virus is after the daily barrage of information and pleading by every professional health care worker and your top mega-leader politicians.

Why do you think that every government in the entire world has shut down their economies... THE ENTIRE WORLD

Everyone.... take a step back.... put your brains back into your skull. You just cannot be emotional with this thought process.

If cruising restarts in the next month or two, I feel we have much bigger problems with our governments and society in general. And maybe that's ok.... we can get our 2nd wave of Corona and truly destroy our economy for real, have a couple of million people die instead only 200,000, and then we can get on to normal life in a couple of years. You two million obese, diabetic, heart ailment, over 60yrs of age people don't mind dying for the rest of us so that we can cruise, do you?

Well, one big mistake: If you had the virus you do not get re-infect. You are immune thereafter, just for how long is not known at this time. 

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Well said.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MADflyer said:

Valid points and to add to them, even if you could test an entire ship before embarkation, nothing says someone wont pick it up in port in the Caribbean somewhere and bring it on board. The only thing I see you can ensure a ship is clear and will remain so is if all on board are vaccinated. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Many good points.  But not to worry, none of your concerns will come to pass for MANY months, as cruise ships aren't sailing any time soon.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Well said Hoopster95. Resuming cruising too soon would be a major mistake. Until there is more learned on the management of this virus and a proven vaccine is developed, it would be very unwise to pack thousands of people on a ship and allow them to leave the ship in multiple ports. 

We are frequent cruisers and have already had one of our cruises cancelled. We are anticipating at least 2 more being cancelled this year. As disappointing as this is, I feel this is a necessary response to this highly contagious virus that is not yet under control. Reaching a plateau does not mean the virus is managed, it only means that the spread has been stabilized. Allowing leisure travel, will only increase the spread again.

I fear that the cruise lines will resume cruising too soon out of economic concerns, and people will sail as they just don't want to give up their vacations. There is just no way for a cruise ship to maintain social distancing and constantly clean surfaces after being touched by a passenger.  I agree that it won't be long before there is a ship of sick passengers with nowhere to dock. In addition, the virus will be spread in every port that was visited. As much as we can't wait to cruise again, we will not cruise until there is an immunization. Cruising is not worth risking your health, and most importantly not worth risking the health of others you could spread the virus to. 

• Like 8