How many more times does RCCL suspends cruises before they say enough is enough for 2020 ?

Jimbo

1 hour ago, Hobby3333 said:

Come on.   We are not talking about 60,000.   We are talking about a minimum 100,000 to 240, 000.  Could get up to 1,000,000 in the same time frame that you mentioned for the flu.   This is not the flu.  And, you are downplaying COVID-19 just by your post. 

You missed my point. Eventually we will have to go out into the world.  What will be the acceptable death numbers for people to resume their lives? Will it be 0 Coronavirus deaths or something below lets say 50,000 annually plus the seasonal flu mortality numbers?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CruisinPandora said:

Coast Guard orders all vessels to remain at sea including two Holland America cruise ships with 190 people with coronavirus symptoms on board approaching Florida

• Federal, state and local officials have been negotiating over whether Zaandam and Rotterdam would be allowed to dock at Port Everglades later this week
  • Between the ships there have been four deaths and nine COVID-19 infections
  • About 190 more reported symptoms and more than 300 Americans are on ships 
  • On Wednesday, the US Coast Guard directed all cruise ships to remain at sea
  • Officials haven't made decision about whether or not they can dock in Florida 
  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

<Don't know if this is the beginning of a shut down of many ports, but it's not good. >

Those poor people. I guess they were the few optimistic people who declared they would sail no matter what. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

6 minutes ago, Junkhouse said:

You missed my point. Eventually we will have to go out into the world.  What will be the acceptable death numbers for people to resume their lives? Will it be 0 Coronavirus deaths or something below lets say 50,000 annually plus the seasonal flu mortality numbers?

It will happen when the 'curve' flattens to the point that hospitals aren't overwhelmed and there has been time to produce enough PPE and ventilators.  Right now it's spreading so fast that there are field hospital tents popping up trying to have enough beds to put people in.  Doctors are having to choose who gets a ventilator.  Refrigerator trucks are parked in the streets to be used for the overflow of dead bodies because there's no room in the morgues.  Medical personal are getting sick themselves, some dying and all of them working nonstop to the point to total exhaustion.  If the spread can be slowed down enough, if the manufacturing mandates put in place to crank out more masks, ventilators, drug trials can make a dent in number of new cases/deaths each day, then you will see things loosen up. That is what it's going to take.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Junkhouse said:

It could be when there is a vaccine and/or an effective treatment.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Junkhouse said:

It has nothing to do with the death rate. Life will begin to start when we reach the peak of the spread and the number of new cases delines.

32 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Life will begin to start when we reach the peak of the spread and the number of new cases declines.

I think most say that it's somewhere well on the other side of the peak - most of Europe probably peaked and maybe even NY is getting close.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

I think most say that it's somewhere well on the other side of the peak - most of Europe probably peaked and maybe even NY is getting close.

They say NY is 2 weeks away. I don't know why everyone is so hell bent on death statistics. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They say NY is 2 weeks away. I don't know why everyone is so hell bent on death statistics. 

Because people crave normalcy and it’s the most accurate measure we have due to inaccurate numbers on those affected?

One day, studies that pinpoint the true fatality rate will be used to determine how many have actually been infected. 

i.e. if 200,000 die and 0.66% of people infected die, 30,000,000 Americans were infected. These calculations inform government decisions. 

26 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Because people crave normalcy and it’s the most accurate measure we have due to inaccurate numbers on those affected?

One day, studies that pinpoint the true fatality rate will be used to determine how many have actually been infected. 

i.e. if 200,000 die and 0.66% of people infected die, 30,000,000 Americans were infected. These calculations inform government decisions. 

Yes but the numbers for Covid are so inaccurate since for so long there weren't any tests. Also how many of those who died had underlying conditions like cancer that was already killing them? I just don't see how deaths from the flu which has been around many years can be compared to Covid 19 which is new and lacks all of the data.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes but the numbers for Covid are so inaccurate since for so long there weren't any tests. Also how many of those who died had underlying conditions like cancer that was already killing them? I just don't see how deaths from the flu which has been around many years can be compared to Covid 19 which is new and lacks all of the data.

Oh, I’m not suggesting that comparison. In our small bubble of cruising, people wonder when cruising will continue. It will continue when governments allow it. And governments can make predictions based upon data. The ship has sailed on accurately measuring cases, but they can use an accurate mortality rate to calculate number infected. That’s what they do for flu since relatively few are actually tested for flu. Calculations allow governments to predict how the current wave will proceed and any future waves. And those predictions are used to know when businesses, schools, movie theaters, and cruise liners can safely reopen. 

I’m not an expert, but I’m pretty good with data. My prediction is worth 500 Monopoly dollars but I expect business to resume in the USA and Western Europe by June. I would also anticipate social distancing to return in some form this fall, but to a lesser degree since demands on healthcare are typically less during secondary waves. Parents would do well to plan to have their kids home for a few weeks again, though. I’m expecting a Teaching Certificate after all this!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Oh, I’m not suggesting that comparison. In our small bubble of cruising, people wonder when cruising will continue. It will continue when governments allow it. And governments can make predictions based upon data. The ship has sailed on accurately measuring cases, but they can use an accurate mortality rate to calculate number infected. That’s what they do for flu since relatively few are actually tested for flu. Calculations allow governments to predict how the current wave will proceed and any future waves. And those predictions are used to know when businesses, schools, movie theaters, and cruise liners can safely reopen. 

I’m not an expert, but I’m pretty good with data. My prediction is worth 500 Monopoly dollars but I expect business to resume in the USA and Western Europe by June. I would also anticipate social distancing to return in some form this fall, but to a lesser degree since demands on healthcare are typically less during secondary waves. Parents would do well to plan to have their kids home for a few weeks again, though. I’m expecting a Teaching Certificate after all this!

Oh ok. By the way do you have do the parent teacher conference in front of mirror? The only thing keeping me sane right now is the fact that my kids are adults and are done with school. It was bad enough getting them to do homework when they were in school. 

On 3/31/2020 at 11:01 PM, John&LaLa said:

Pretty compliant here.

Live

20200331_175922.thumb.jpg.7c32830fe7d05dc72bd510f59617b38b.jpg

Are you allowed to walk Bella on the beach? Here in UK we are allowed one walk/run a day for exercise and are lucky we can walk to woods nearby for our daily walk and exercise of our border collie 

Edited by sgmn

The problem with the hospital bed and ventilator issues is that it is localized.  While NYC is in serious trouble right now (let alone over the next couple of weeks), many states/counties will not be in that situation.  Someone posted a link to this site the other day that was created for the health care industry to better plan their capacity needs:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Shows the US as a whole will peak on April 16 and will have a hospital bed shortage on that day of 85K beds.  That's the model average but the confidence limits could be significantly worse or better.  My state of Ohio will peak on April 19 and will not run out of beds or ventilators.  My county currently only has 16 hospitalizations.  If my county matches the model for the state, that will triple over the next 18 days...very manageable if it holds.

For what it's worth, this model predicts total deaths in the US at about 94K, with a range between 40K and 180K.

The $64,000 question...can parts of the US (or Italy, or Spain) return to some sense of normalcy before other parts of the country?  Can this be done to help save some local economies, or will the risk of the virus starting to spread again be too great?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Are you allowed to walk Bella on the beach? Here in UK we are allowed one walk/run a day for exercise and are lucky we can walk to woods nearby for our daily walk and exercise of our border collie 

We are allowed to take dog out, but Bell doesn't go on the beach anyway. Very few beaches around here allow pets. This was posted on Bella's page by @grapau27

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Body count has always been a thing for the media. Dealt with once before. 

Good luck to you guys. Hasn’t hit us hard yet. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

10 hours ago, Hobby3333 said:

The truth is he (governor) is listening to old news clips and not his professionals.  He is leading from behind.  

Disagree.  The Governor of Florida is on top of the issue.  It is not realistic that he completely shut down the state.  

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dennis#1 said:

Disagree.  The Governor of Florida is on top of the issue.  It is not realistic that he completely shut down the state.  

Heck, wanted to say hell, he wouldn’t even shut down the beaches.  Letting people dine in at restaurants.  Come on man, Florida is better than that.  The people of Florida deserve better.

Edited by Hobby3333
Spelling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dennis#1 said:

California is pretty much shut down until May 3. The economy is wrecked. Coyotes are wandering around in San Francisco. https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article241616581.html

Why should Florida be any different? Stay at home! 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2

The next few weeks are going to be difficult for everyone.  I love to cruise but I am in no hurry.  If I have to stay in and not vacation as much as I want to keep me safe and help keep others safe then so be it.   I can’t put a price on anyone’s life.  And I will go ahead and say it, shame on others that can and do put a value on any human life regardless.  This will pass and I would rather think that we, as a nation, sacrificed money in order to save lives.   If we all do the the right thing the United States will continue to the shining beacon of light on the hill that other countries want to emulate.   The United States will learn from this.  Hero’s are stepping up and putting their lives on the line everyday.  Grocery stockers and workers, doctors and nurses, EMT’s and law enforcement, if they can do what they do, then I can stay at home and watch reruns of Perry Mason.  BTW, Garth and Trisha are great.

Edited by Hobby3333
Spelling
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, rockmom said:

It will happen when the 'curve' flattens

Right now it's spreading so fast 

Not when .... IF it happens.

Ever think it's spreading so fast because the flattening is likely not happening?

Edited by Hoopster95

9 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Not when .... IF it happens.

Ever think it's spreading so fast because the flattening is likely not happening?

Yes I've thought of that.  My state is behind on everything and finally the gov issued a stay  home statement for nonessentials.  I live on a lot of land so no one is near me and I have so much work to do now with no help social distancing is not difficult.  So many people are not taking this seriously.  Friends that believe other friends are "safe."  One of my doggie training buds has a grooming shop and she doesn't plan to close.  That's 14 people a day through their dogs that she sees.  I bought my own clippers and decided to try poodle grooming on my own.  So far it's very comical.  Who knew it was so easy to be entertained.

• Like 3