How many more times does RCCL suspends cruises before they say enough is enough for 2020 ?

Jimbo

1 hour ago, ATG said:

We live in rural SC.  The hospital in the next county has cut staff hours 20% because there are so few patients.  

Lucky you. I hope it stays that way. Here people are working around the clock. All nonessential surgery was canceled for March and now the month of April.  My mother has a heart condition and was having problems breathing over the weekend. The Dr admitted her to the hospital. There wasn't any room in the hospital that her cardiologist has privileges, so they sent her to a hospital 30 miles away in eastern Long Island. Thank God she doesn't have Covid 19. My parents are both 87 and the EMT told my father to stay home since they are no visitors. 

Stay safe and don't let strangers in your county. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lr657 said:

We live in Florida. There are many petitions and letters from members of Congress being sent to the Governor requesting that the state be shut-down. I don't understand his reasoning, and I'm hoping it doesn't lead to preventable deaths. 

1 hour ago, lr657 said:

We live in Florida. There are many petitions and letters from members of Congress being sent to the Governor requesting that the state be shut-down. I don't understand his reasoning, and I'm hoping it doesn't lead to preventable deaths. 

That article now confirms to me that cruises operating out of the state of Florida ain't going to happen anytime soon.

Here is a message for your Governor.

Cher

snap-out-of-it-moonstruck-cher-58422559.png.27742b086691bbb79e113d1cd289262e.png

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hobby3333 said:

The truth is he (governor) is listening to old news clips and not his professionals.  He is leading from behind.  

57 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I would believe he isn't listening at all..............how can you not see what is going on in the Country, his state? 

Unfortunately, I think it might be more of a political decision. 

Personally, I think that it will be many months before cruising can resume. I also think that when it is able to resume there will need to be redeployment of ships and many itinerary changes. We are just waiting it out. We have already had our May TA cancelled, and are anticipating at least 1 or 2 more being canceled. When the cornovirus is better managed and the ports are able to reopen, we will not hesitate to resume cruising. 

Edited by lr657
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That staff could get more hours in NY.

Yes they could.  It is true that in the for-profit hospital industry that they are laying off a certain portion of their staff that deal with all the many elective procedures that are very profitable for these hospitals under normal conditions. That is not the case at them moment and therefore leads to all the layoffs that are happening. 

1 minute ago, MADflyer said:

Yes they could.  It is true that in the for-profit hospital industry that they are laying off a certain portion of their staff that deal with all the many elective procedures that are very profitable for these hospitals under normal conditions. That is not the case at them moment and therefore leads to all the layoffs that are happening. 

That's what I thought. Here in NY those non essential elective procedure medical staff are being deployed to help out in the pop up facilities and other areas of the hospital. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

That of course would not include the Germans that just with the BMW operation are the 4th largest employer in the state and certainly not the Chinese from Geely that have now direct invested 1,2 billion in the state with the Volvo plant. And not the Swedish-Swiss ABB that is their 11th largest employer in the state. Then factor in the effect these companies have had on the Port of Charleston. 

We are just too connected now to have this blame 'the other' attitude. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, karen11g said:

I live in SC too - haven't heard that and can't find it. Which hospital and which county?

We are also in SC in Lexington.  The State Newspaper is running articles everyday.  I had read on, I believe, Saturday, that the hospitals were at 55% capacity.  I'm sure the hospitals kicked out all the walkie talkie patients to their homes freeing up beds.  Also today the State reported about 1000 corona cases total in SC.  Some "expert" in DHEC projected last week that we would have 2,600 by tomorrow and 8000 by May 2.  I think he's off the mark a bit.  But then we're probably just starting to increase here so who knows but the 2,600 was very off.

15 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

That of course would not include the Germans that just with the BMW operation are the 4th largest employer in the state and certainly not the Chinese from Geely that have now direct invested 1,2 billion in the state with the Volvo plant. And not the Swedish-Swiss ABB that is their 11th largest employer in the state. Then factor in the effect these companies have had on the Port of Charleston. 

We are just too connected now to have this blame 'the other' attitude. 

I see even the BMW plant shut down, last October we were down that way and had a tour of the plant, quite amazing  operation, 11,000 workers

The CDC has estimated that 29,000-59,000 have died from the seasonal flu from October to mid March.  I am not downplaying the CoronaVirus but everyone needs to be realistic that we will have to leave our "safe homes" and venture out to the real world with all of its inherent risks.

I was a pre-teen during the Vietnam War. I remember watching the news and getting weekly updates of the score of the war by displaying the number of our soldiers that were killed and the enemy deaths. This is reminiscent of those times except the only one that can win this war will be the grim reaper.  We will be able to control this to an extent but it will be a long time before most will venture out and resume their lives.    

11 minutes ago, Junkhouse said:

The CDC has estimated that 29,000-59,000 have died from the seasonal flu from October to mid March.  I am not downplaying the CoronaVirus but everyone needs to be realistic that we will have to leave our "safe homes" and venture out to the real world with all of its inherent risks.

I was a pre-teen during the Vietnam War. I remember watching the news and getting weekly updates of the score of the war by displaying the number of our soldiers that were killed and the enemy deaths. This is reminiscent of those times except the only one that can win this war will be the grim reaper.  We will be able to control this to an extent but it will be a long time before most will venture out and resume their lives.    

Come on.   We are not talking about 60,000.   We are talking about a minimum 100,000 to 240, 000.  Could get up to 1,000,000 in the same time frame that you mentioned for the flu.   This is not the flu.  And, you are downplaying COVID-19 just by your post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Junkhouse said:

And at the same time, it seems that we also have to be reminded that hospital systems all over the world have been overwhelmed by people getting sick due to COVID19.  

It's one thing that armies are prepared for casualties and whatnot, it's another for the public system to be prepared for a pandemic that seems to require a large enough hospitalization rate that is puts huge burdens on the system.  It's great that, so far, there are places around the country that are not overwhelmed- but that does not mean they won't be, eventually.  Unless you think the news from Italy, Spain, New York, etc is all fake.  

This is like we all went out to drive and got into accidents at a rate that increased by every single day.

If it makes you sleep better at night, fine, think that way.  But don't suggest that people can just go out and pretend that everything is ok, and that they won't spread it around to other people- or doing that is somehow ok.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Lucky you. I hope it stays that way. Here people are working around the clock. All nonessential surgery was canceled for March and now the month of April.  My mother has a heart condition and was having problems breathing over the weekend. The Dr admitted her to the hospital. There wasn't any room in the hospital that her cardiologist has privileges, so they sent her to a hospital 30 miles away in eastern Long Island. Thank God she doesn't have Covid 19. My parents are both 87 and the EMT told my father to stay home since they are no visitors. 

Sending best wishes for your mam to have a full recovery.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That article now confirms to me that cruises operating out of the state of Florida ain't going to happen anytime soon.

Here is a message for your Governor.

Cher

Since he finallllly shut it down- I think we will see Royal cancel more sailings.

• Like 2

I have just had an email from my cruising buddy in the USA and she attached an article station that, Royal Carribbean, Celebrity and Amazara have suspended all cruising until September 2020.  Not something we wanted to hear but we have.

3 minutes ago, yoj13 said:

I have just had an email from my cruising buddy in the USA and she attached an article station that, Royal Carribbean, Celebrity and Amazara have suspended all cruising until September 2020.  Not something we wanted to hear but we have.

Can you post the article or a link to it?  Our governor just shutdown the state of Florida for a minimum of 30 days. This should help people understand there are not going to be any cruises out of Florida for a significant amount of time. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, yoj13 said:

Not 100%, Think you might be incorrect. Where you hear this "Fact"? Other websites: "Cruise with confidence was extended until September 1, NOT cancelation of sailings. You need to retract this statement"

Edited by ONECRUISER

4 hours ago, Hobby3333 said:

The truth is he (governor) is listening to old news clips and not his professionals.  He is leading from behind.  

He's listening now  Lockdown tomorrow

Edited by molly361
  • Thanks 1

Can you post the article or a link to it?  Our governor just shutdown the state of Florida for a minimum of 30 days. This should help people understand there are not going to be any cruises out of Florida for a significant amount of time. 

It was posted on Yahoo Finance today and it was a mistake. The author misunderstood the Cruise with Confidence program.

8 minutes ago, yoj13 said:

Still not true. Read the article. They claim cancellation through 9/1. Then they interview the CEO. He doesn’t talk about cancellation. He talks about Cruise with Confidence. That is all that is extended through 9/1 at this time. 

Journalism is not what it once was. 

Edited by pyrateslife4me84
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Still not true. Read the article. They claim cancellation through 9/1. Then they interview the CEO. He doesn’t talk about cancellation. He talks about Cruise with Confidence. That is all that is extended through 9/1 at this time. 

Journalism is not what it once was. 

The original source has now updated it and deleted their 9/1 date.  https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/royal-caribbean-extends-operations-suspension-due-to-coronavirus-revised-2020-04-01

• Like 1

Coast Guard orders all vessels to remain at sea including two Holland America cruise ships with 190 people with coronavirus symptoms on board approaching Florida

• Federal, state and local officials have been negotiating over whether Zaandam and Rotterdam would be allowed to dock at Port Everglades later this week
  • Between the ships there have been four deaths and nine COVID-19 infections
  • About 190 more reported symptoms and more than 300 Americans are on ships 
  • On Wednesday, the US Coast Guard directed all cruise ships to remain at sea
  • Officials haven't made decision about whether or not they can dock in Florida 
  • Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

<Don't know if this is the beginning of a shut down of many ports, but it's not good. >

Royal Caribbean's Cruise with Confidence Link

"We get it. Whether you’re already booked on a cruise, or are thinking about it, we want you to Cruise with Confidence. That’s why Royal Caribbean will let you cancel any cruise that sets sail from now through September 1, 2020. Whether it’s a booking you already have or one you make right now, you’re covered. As long as you cancel at least 48 hours before you set sail, you’ll receive a Future Cruise Credit. The credit can be used toward any cruise that sets sail through December 31, 2021."

Edited by CruisinPandora
added link