Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 minutes ago, George C said:

My wife just got her second Pfizer shot so we are ready for our July cruise 😁😁.

I'm looking at L&S options for our recently cancelled June Mariner. Gotta move to Indy, I think

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I really wanted to put a tankless water heater into our old house in Ohio a few years ago when the water heater failed.  Our then teenaged girls really liked their hot showers, and I was (still am) a bigger offender than they were.  Our water heater was in the middle of the basement.  The added cost to run a gas line there and more costly, to run the needed vent line outside the house, just didn't make sense.  I put the biggest sized tank that I could find at Lowes in place instead and still saved money.  Never ran out of hot water.

With that said, our new house in FL has a Rinai tankless heater and I love it.  Shower, washing machine and dishwasher can all run at the same time without a problem.  I just had to figure out how to override the built in temp limit to allow me to set it at 125F.  I think the default max temp is 120F, and I wanted a little bit more heat in the shower and sinks.

Ours can be set from 105 to 140.  Commercial units can go to 180.  That is dangerous, especially if you have kids.  

Venting is a challenge in existing homes often.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm looking at L&S options for our recently cancelled June Mariner. Gotta move to Indy, I think

You should join us on the 2022 Holyland 12 nighter where we go visit our thread author, and then we take the TA back on the Odyssey....  It would be nice to have a friend on those roll calls...

jc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Ours can be set from 105 to 140.  Commercial units can go to 180.  That is dangerous, especially if you have kids.  

Venting is a challenge in existing homes often.  

Since our current tank Is covered under warranty we’re going to replace it with another electric tank.

At the same time though we’re going to look to see what it will take to put in a tankless electric heater. And maybe even do it before this one fails. We only have propane at our house, no natural gas in the country where we are. Electric should also mean no venting. 

From your post earlier, we do have a water softener as well as an iron filter. We’ve had them for a long time and they have been replaced when needed to be. 

I truly think that your comment is right, the tanks just aren’t as good as what they used to be. Our water been coming out of the same well for 20 years in the tank before lasted almost as long.  No sulphur but it is hard.  The last two have only lasted two years. It certainly makes me thinks it’s the tank quality that has changed. 

• Like 1

So far today I have picked up my mom and took her to a doctor consultation for her cataracts.she is going the private route was as a consultant visit through would have been January of next year. She booked this one privately in 4 working days and it is the same surgeon that would have done it through the government “free” system. 

Since it’s two hours I zipped to Costco did some shopping, filled her car with gas and got it washed. I’m sipping some Timmys while I’m waiting for her to come out.

I have to get her home and then hopefully the hot water tank will be swapped after lunch. I also have a conference call this afternoon. Looking forward to possibly a quiet or tomorrow.

Edited by A&L_Ont

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Since our current tank Is covered under warranty we’re going to replace it with another electric tank.

At the same time though we’re going to look to see what it will take to put in a tankless electric heater. And maybe even do it before this one fails. We only have propane at our house, no natural gas in the country where we are. Electric should also mean no venting. 

From your post earlier, we do have a water softener as well as an iron filter. We’ve had them for a long time and they have been replaced when needed to be. 

I truly think that your comment is right, the tanks just aren’t as good as what they used to be. Our water been coming out of the same well for 20 years in the tank before lasted almost as long.  No sulphur but it is hard.  The last two have only lasted two years. It certainly makes me thinks it’s the tank quality that has changed. 

Rinai has LP tankless.  The venting is actually easy if the room where the unit is has a direct connection to an outside wall.  It doesn’t have to go thru the roof, and the venting material is a form of PVC.  I can’t imagine any tank built today still working 48 years later with the water we have at our lake house.  We threw away a perfectly functioning tank.  

With the water we have at the house, and the ease and price of replacing an electric tank, there is no way I would install a tankless at the lake.  Just don’t use it enough to save money, and I am afraid, I wouldn’t have the longevity that we have had at our home.

Edited by xpcdoojk

31 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We are going to have to move to the Indy as well if/when our July Mariner cruise gets cancelled if we decide to L and S

41 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

You should join us on the 2022 Holyland 12 nighter where we go visit our thread author, and then we take the TA back on the Odyssey....  It would be nice to have a friend on those roll calls...

jc

What dates?

We have Mariner Bermuda, October 16-24

I see it now October 19. No bueno. 

However, maybe the TA. I'll need to L&S Harmony fall 21 TA more than likely 

Edited by John&LaLa

13 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Sorry for being "thick", but since the new format descended on CC, I can't see signatures anymore....

Click on your screen name, account settings, signature. Under "View Signatures?" you can select (turn on or off) to view or not view others signatures. I keep mine off.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

At the same time though we’re going to look to see what it will take to put in a tankless electric heater.

Our home is all electric.  I'm interested in a tankless water heater but my research seems to indicate the electric tankless water heaters leave a lot to be desired when compared to a gas model.  Would love to hear what others here think about an electric tankless water heater.

I'm also facing a full electric service panel.  Last month I had to install two "tandem" breakers to make room for a new circuit to charge our new electric car.  We have a 200 amp panel, maybe I could install more tandem breakers for a tankless water heater?  I don't know.

19 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Is that a FL condition?     We had no problem with getting our boys auto insurance when they were teenagers here in PA. 

I don't have kids...but I do remember seeing that on our insurance policy.  Discount that stated "No male drivers under 25".   Could be just Florida, and don't remember seeing it lately.  

21 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

One of five roaming from house to house. I gobble and they answer, sad what we do for fun!202A80E5-4E07-4171-99EF-58254F412AE5.thumb.jpeg.7f0085358cea177fb103db8f5696df28.jpeg

IMG_0466.mov 5.18 MB · 8 downloads IMG_0466.mov 5.18 MB · 8 downloads

Good thing they are not in my back yard lately.  Though we have had quite a bit of them this last winter.  "Mr. Toothy" the huge alligator just strolled through our back yard during lunch again today.  Same thing...walks a bit...takes a break..walks again.  Those turkeys would easily out run him I think.  Not sure what he is eating...but he is sure is fat!  

Pauline went to the hairdresser's at 9am this morning.

Afterwards I called on a customer.

We went to 2 shopping outlets and we bought several items and we had lunch Al fresco.

I had Cod and chips and Pauline had Scampi and chips.

We are home now watching Judge Judy on TV.

• Like 5

Arrgggghhhhh folks are all talking about trips.   Not cruises but you are still going on vacations.  I am still going nowhere.  

On Monday we drove 20 minutes into Spain to go to a shopping mall.  That is the sum total of my travel since August.  😪

We have no cases of COVID, nearly everyone is fully vaccinated and we are still stuck because Spain currently has their 4th wave and not doing well at all.  

So I have to share my dream..  I had arrived at port on embarkation day for a cruise.  I could not pay for it, I kept trying different SIM cards in my bank card nothing would work.  I was about an hour away from sail away and I guess they told me to give up.  

That is how my life is at the moment.  

Granted we can go to restaurants, the curfew has lifted, shops open.  But we still cannot go on vacations.  

• Like 4

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Colorado has one particular advantage we don't have yet 😉

Good income producer for the state as well.  😉  Oh well, we do have that in "stage one" here anyway.  Alaska is up and running now with it, walk right into a store for purchase. ☺️  Bucky got a kick out of it...literally. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Good income producer for the state as well.  😉  Oh well, we do have that in "stage one" here anyway.  Alaska is up and running now with it, walk right into a store for purchase. ☺️  Bucky got a kick out of it...literally. 

No stems, no seeds that you don't need...😎

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Click on your screen name, account settings, signature. Under "View Signatures?" you can select (turn on or off) to view or not view others signatures. I keep mine off.  

You beat me to it.  😉  Yes, indeed CC members have that on/off option.  I leave mine on, simply due to the website change CC made years ago.  Definitely now limits the signatures and long lines of repeat pictures.  Speeds up scrolling.  🙂 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

No stems, no seeds that you don't need...😎

He actually felt really weird in Seward Alaska at the shop we went to.  First time ever purchased legally.  And it was very good...according to him anyway.  I don't partake.  Asthma kept under control...as long as I avoid triggers.  Luckily the wine makes up for that.  😉 🍷

Speaking of wine...our upcoming trip to northern CA the end of this month is going to be very...very different.  No more just showing up at the wineries during open hours for tastings.  It's all by appointment only...and those tastings are small and quite involved.  Most are 25 bucks a person...one I booked is 50 per, but includes local artisanal cheese plates with their select high ends wines on their patio.  Supposed to be a 1.5 hour event with only 4-6 people at a time. Ouch...but it's one way for them to make some extra bucks and will actually be kind of cool since there will be no more "belly up to the bar" crowds to compete with.  😄 

• Like 6