Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

At least you got lucky and it broke while under warranty and nothing ruined in the basement.   Hopefully the replacement lasts for many years.

Fingers crossed. If it doesn’t going tankless for the next one. 

9 minutes ago, George C said:

We had thousands of dollars of damage had to replace most of the wooden floors in our house because of a broken water heater , good thing was insurance paid the the majority of it , this was a few a few months ago.  

I feel for you. 

Andrew, somehow I am in that business.  Are you treating your water, ie do you have a softener?

Story.  My dad and mom built a lake house in winter / Spring of 69.  Well water, full of iron, I hated drinking it and it freaked me out a bit to take a bath in it.  The water heater was an electric Night N Day 40 gallon.  My mother died in February 2017 at the age of 92-1/2.  In 2018 brother and I started to remodel the lake house.  The house had filters and a water softener, the product outputted was nasty but functional if you don’t mind a red rim around the tub and toilet.  He asked if we should replace the water heater, I said, is it still the original?  Yep.... wow.... heck yeah.  So we put in a 52 gallon Bradford white Electric 50 gallon.  Small lake house, I put in a better filter system and a double tank iron removing water softener.  Last summer 2020, I replaced the anode rod and completely drained the system and poured bleach in because we had a rotten egg thing going on.  

The stuff in your water is likely your problem, and it is likely no system will last forever or even to warranty.

They don’t build them like they used to.

At our house we built in 1989, we had a 52 gallon NG water heater.  We added the conservatory and did the first kitchen remodel, at that time we removed the tank which was still working perfectly, and put in a Rinai tankless in 2004.  Our gas usage in that first summer went down an amazing amount.  I am a believer in tankless.  I put in at the same time our first softener, it failed a couple of years ago and we replaced it.  We were told it was a system that as long as we had good water going in would work perfectly for a long time.  Went to a training meeting a few years later and the Rinai people had amended that on their current models and put a flush system in place and were telling people that it annually needed flushing.  17 years later ours has never been flushed.

I have our Rinai set to 110F... I have never taken a shower no matter how long and run out of hot water.  I love it.  When I want hotter water, I turn it up to 140 and it never runs out of hot water.  

A tankless system is the best, but it is more expensive at our lake house, our tanked heater is perfectly fine for our minimal needs.  

JMHO and WTMI

Sorry

jc

11 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

And fresh seafood.  And driving distance to ports.  And no state income tax.  And...  Combined with the warmer weather, it's definitely a no-brainer for me.

Colorado has one particular advantage we don't have yet 😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Happy Birthday to your hubby. Congrats on the mini get away?  Where did you go to, look beautiful.  That fireplace is amazing. 

Our favorite hotel “up north” (Crosslake, Mn) :). We have a seasonal cabin up there, and we usually try to get up there in the spring to check on it 🙂

12 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’m sure there is a patty under all that lettuce, tomatoes etc but it looks like a veggie burger to me with a side of slaw. 😆 Push the onion off and I’m good with it. 

This reminded me to thank you (just a few years late) for mentioning Gilbert’s in your reviews. DH and I cruised on Harmony out of Port Everglades in Dec 2018. We were at Embassy Suites 17th St pre-cruise and walked just around the corner to eat there.  Andy (DH) was skeptical of the strip mall location but we both agree it was hands down the best burger we’ve ever had. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Crosslake, Mn

I have been near where you are driving to western Canada. Just a bit further north through Grand Rapids. Beautiful part of the world where you are right now. 

So yesterday, facing reality I traveled to our TA office and booked a week in Disney for the same week we should be on the Allure.

I want to have something booked, and wanted to make sure I could get rooms and park days confirmed.

We were able to book the Grand Floridian for 5 nights and bought a three day park hopper and with the current promotion we got 2 more park hopper days free.

We will be doing a first in many years.

We will make this a road trip, and split the travels over 2 days.

12 hours first day, then 7 hours second day

Since we inherited some land North of Fort Meyers, we will stop and see where our future winter home will be.  Very excited.

I took the airline insurance for the August cruise and will take the reimbursement option.

Now in the event the cruise in August sails, then I will cancel the Disney vacation, but, with all the CDC has to say............

IF we sail in October I will apply it to that vacation.

Stay healthy.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Happy News.  my friend’s grandson rang the bell today!A116DA32-12E7-44C6-BB07-6072F44AD954.thumb.jpeg.c55cf05c6b7feec8e52456db92ae4e42.jpeg

This is indeed great to read.  I'm so happy for that boy.  Roswell is a great place.  My nephew, now 26, spent a lot of time there when he was younger and is cancer free today thanks to them.  He's going to med school at UB (University of Buffalo) to become a pediatric oncologist, largely because of his experience at Roswell.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I have our Rinai set to 110F... I have never taken a shower no matter how long and run out of hot water.  I love it.  When I want hotter water, I turn it up to 140 and it never runs out of hot water.  

A tankless system is the best, but it is more expensive at our lake house, our tanked heater is perfectly fine for our minimal needs.  

I really wanted to put a tankless water heater into our old house in Ohio a few years ago when the water heater failed.  Our then teenaged girls really liked their hot showers, and I was (still am) a bigger offender than they were.  Our water heater was in the middle of the basement.  The added cost to run a gas line there and more costly, to run the needed vent line outside the house, just didn't make sense.  I put the biggest sized tank that I could find at Lowes in place instead and still saved money.  Never ran out of hot water.

With that said, our new house in FL has a Rinai tankless heater and I love it.  Shower, washing machine and dishwasher can all run at the same time without a problem.  I just had to figure out how to override the built in temp limit to allow me to set it at 125F.  I think the default max temp is 120F, and I wanted a little bit more heat in the shower and sinks.

• Like 1