Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Spent a lovely day with our son and his little family,  son and his partner went out for lunch and left us for the first time in sole charge of our gouegous grandson.  We had a lovely walk through the park and found a lovely Italian cafe for coffee and cake. My grandson was an angel throughout 🥰

They live in the top floor of a big house that has been split into three flats.  This is the view from their living room over the rooftops of London. If you zoom in you can see the Shard in the top right hand corner 

20211102_154854.jpg

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Spent a lovely day with our son and his little family,  son and his partner went out for lunch and left us for the first time in sole charge of our gouegous grandson.  We had a lovely walk through the park and found a lovely Italian cafe for coffee and cake. My grandson was an angel throughout 🥰

They live in the top floor of a big house that has been split into three flats.  This is the view from their living room over the rooftops of London. If you zoom in you can see the Shard in the top right hand corner 

20211102_154854.jpg

Great view! To be in London but still have all those trees to look out at is a dream location!

It looks like an area for peaceful walks with their son. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

TSOTD organizing and getting ready to pack

A96F12A7-4947-4F47-A4A8-D526AD8121AD.jpeg

Well, Greg, it looks and sounds like you're ready for your long anticipated cruise!  So, how does it feel to be able to relax over your cup of coffee in the morning, without having to rush out the door?  Has it sunk in yet?  I'm looking forward to following you and Linda as you enjoy the cruise.😊

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

20211102_154854.jpg

Such fun when you have your baby grandson all to yourself to enjoy your walk and spend the day with him!  The view that your son and his partner have is pretty awesome!!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Boy I'll tell you retirement is exhausting. I've been helpning Linda clean the house in preperation for the house sitter. Getting things organized to pack. I've been up and down the stairs more than a dozen times. I'm working harder now than sitting all day in my edit suite.

@grapau27 So many joys and so many sorrows. I always hope you have more joy than the other.

@FromSea2ShiningSea Beautiful pictures. You really are in utopia.

@lenquixote66I worry about my bald head getting too much sun and skin cancer. Good thing you are being proactive.

@reallyitsmema Driveway looks great. I especially love your rock wall. I will have to get part of my driveway jackhammered out and redone as it has sunk about 3.5 inches. It's like going over a curb to get the car in the garage.

I am not bald,Greg but I wear a hat every sunny day .

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yeah...I seem to recall getting one of those from my superintendent...probably shredded it. 

I also was given a form to sign stating I would not sue the company for being terminated.They offered incentives that I could not refuse:

Full salary for 8 months

Free Health Insurance with zero co plays for my wife and I for the rest of our life.

I signed it.My lawyer told me that I could still sue because it was signing out of duress.However,I chose not to.I was too young to not work but did not look for a new job until after the 8 months .Then I found a great job and 

worked there for a while .

I have a pension from the long time job,an IRA ,free Life Insurance and free Legal service so I really cannot complain.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

there you go....good attitude. Thankfully I was not in the  market for a different job, short of the part-time one I already had (and still do). 

I saw an ad in The NY Times for a job that sounded interesting although I had no idea what it was.I went for an interview.The person who interviewed me was moving to Russia.She had been interviewing people for 3 weeks and had enough .She knew,I am sure that I had no idea what the job was but she recommended me to the company VP.I went for the interview and that person had music playing while she interviewed me.

I said that was one of my favorite songs.When she realized that I really knew the song and it was not BS on my part she said she was recommending me for the job with the company President because nobody working there likes the music she loved.

The President was a no nonsense kind of guy and I was positive that he would not hire me so when he asked what salary I was looking for I gave a figure more than twice of my long time job and nearly fell off my chair when he asked when could I start.

• Like 3

I am retired on disability after 5 back surgeries. Last surgery Jan 2019. Started feeling better in 2020 then covid hit. Now I spend my days zoom schooling both grandkids. My wife and I are very lucky that the grandkids live with us and see them every day.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

20211102_154854.jpg

Beautiful neighborhood, looks like a great day to spend with your grandson😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Well, Greg, it looks and sounds like you're ready for your long anticipated cruise!  So, how does it feel to be able to relax over your cup of coffee in the morning, without having to rush out the door?  Has it sunk in yet?  I'm looking forward to following you and Linda as you enjoy the cruise.😊

Such fun when you have your baby grandson all to yourself to enjoy your walk and spend the day with him!  The view that your son and his partner have is pretty awesome!!

Still hasn't sunk in yet. We have been so busy getting things ready for the house sitter. Maggie our King Charles Spaniel is really declining in health. She is not eating and having mobility issues. We are preparing the house/dog sitter to be prepared if she has to take her to vet. It's very stressful right now so I've haven't had a chance to savor not working. I will start the semi live tomorrow since I have some prep stuff to talk about before we leave on Friday.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am not bald,Greg but I wear a hat every sunny day .

I was not inferring that you were. You had said that the Dermatologist had removed some growths on your head. I am bald and know that if I don't cover my head out in the sun I might get skin cancer.

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Today I went to my Dermatologist.He removed 5 pre cancerous growths from my head and biopsied one from my abdomen.

This is what you had said that made me think about protecting my head.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Still hasn't sunk in yet. We have been so busy getting things ready for the house sitter. Maggie our King Charles Spaniel is really declining in health. She is not eating and having mobility issues. We are preparing the house/dog sitter to be prepared if she has to take her to vet. It's very stressful right now so I've haven't had a chance to savor not working. I will start the semi live tomorrow since I have some prep stuff to talk about before we leave on Friday.

I was not inferring that you were. You had said that the Dermatologist had removed some growths on your head. I am bald and know that if I don't cover my head out in the sun I might get skin cancer.

This is what you had said that made me think about protecting my head.

My father loved being out in the sun and had very bad skin cancer.I did not learn from him because I never wore protective clothing .My children learned from my father and I .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbancroft said:

I am retired on disability after 5 back surgeries. Last surgery Jan 2019. Started feeling better in 2020 then covid hit. Now I spend my days zoom schooling both grandkids. My wife and I are very lucky that the grandkids live with us and see them every day.

I have had more than 5 back surgeries but all since 2010.I cannot walk more than 5 feet on my own.I am totally dependent on my wife.Very glad to hear that your surgeries have been successful.I hope that you continue to feel better.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

My father loved being out in the sun and had very bad skin cancer.I did not learn from him because I never wore protective clothing .My children learned from my father and I .

Same with my dad. He got skin cancer on his nose. They removed what they thought was most of it but years later it grew into brain cancer. When I was young I never even knew of skin cancer. We never wore protective clothing or even hats. I am a lot more aware now as I am fair skinned. Spending a week in Caribbean next week warrants me being extra cautious.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Sorry to read this. It is difficult to leave them when they are not well. Sorry.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Same with my dad. He got skin cancer on his nose. They removed what they thought was most of it but years later it grew into brain cancer. When I was young I never even knew of skin cancer. We never wore protective clothing or even hats. I am a lot more aware now as I am fair skinned. Spending a week in Caribbean next week warrants me being extra cautious.

I worshipped the sun when I was young .The past few years when I was in the Caribbean I wore long pants ,a jacket and hats.

Like others I am looking forward to reading all about your upcoming cruise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

Sorry to read this. It is difficult to leave them when they are not well. Sorry.

We've been to the vet twice in the last 5 days. He doesn't think she is going down yet but she is not eating, very lethargic and her eyesight is going. The other night she tried to go down the stairs and fell. It's a miracle that she did not break any bones. Tonight while watching tv she just laid in my lap clinging to me. She usually lays next to me but not on me. It's sad. Luckily our dog/house sitter has watched her before. She is good. I have to prepare myself that she could go downhill while we are on our cruise. I can't stand to see any animal not their regular happy self.  Thank you for your concern. I really appreciate it.

• Like 11