Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

59 minutes ago, NHProud said:

You should submit a story to the Sunday New York Times Metropolitan Diary .  Your stories are better than some of those that make it in the paper .  

Between 1961 and 1990 I did a lot of writing that appeared in newspapers and magazines.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, island lady said:

Yeah, Bucky does not want one of those clear tops for his Tesla either.  Not really a good choice for hot Florida summers.  😉 

I'm not talking about a glass, sliding sunroof..this is different. Black with solar panels on it. It's part of the car's hybrid energy-generating system. No matter the color of the car, the roof is still black. I'd buy the car in blue - as pictured here, so not terribly offensive. 

hyundai-sonata-hybrid-2020-05-charging--exterior--grey--roof.jpg

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Mimi,

Sending positive thoughts for tomorrow, from ALL of us here 🥰

Thank you.
I’m packing my carryon for Dick to bring later. I use a CPAP, and the ones the hospital supplies are bulky. Plus I noticed last time they charged Medicare for teaching me how to use it!

Didn’t sleep last night so I’m going to take a short nap to get me through the rest of the preparations for the hospital. 

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, island lady said:

We don't use it either, though my sister loves it. 

We enjoy, and use, the walking track just after breakfast.  The one on the promenade deck (lifeboats).   Prefer that to the way too busy upper deck jogging track.  (Too many people walking, running, and loungers pulled out too far).  

Get a kick out of stopping occasionally to watch the birds diving for flying fish too.  

I walk every morning on the track (weather permitting) and I walk for 1.5 hours starting NLT 6:00 AM and done NLT 7:30 AM. I find those times are good for avoiding slow pokes, those that don't use track etiquette and loungers. I like walking and watching the sun come up and have the track mostly to myself. Peaceful. By the time I'm done walking is when the track gets busier. If the weather is bad then I hit the gym and use the upright bikes( I prefer spinners but they are locked up and held for classes. I have my own spinner at home but it's too heavy to lug with me 😁) and the treadmill.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

NTOT = Riviera car ☹️

Turns out the German government is promoting EV cars.

My cousin and her DH bought a Tesla Y for 62.000 Euro, and got a "cash-back" of 6.000 Euro from the government 😁

Palm trees in UK? 🙁

Not as strange as in Lake Como with the snow covered Alps behind them!

I’ve seen palm trees in many unexpected places. They must be really tough!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've had that in my last 2 cars.  Two cars ago, I got used to pushing the button to turn it off as part of my routine when getting in the car.  For my current car, I leave it on.  I'm now used to it and actually like it.  The engine always starts instantly when I touch the gas and it definitely gives my a couple extra MPG.  If I'm going to be stopped for more than just a couple of seconds, I'll also enable the brake hold feature which keeps the brake on without pressing on the brake pedal (this also disengages when I touch the gas).  I can sit comfortably at a stop light with the brakes on and the engine off and when it's time to go, just press the gas pedal.

I often wonder these constant stop and starts of the engine must shorten the life of the cars starter.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I often wonder these constant stop and starts of the engine must shorten the life of the cars starter.

IMO, yes. We rented a 2022 VW SUV on our September road trip. I finally had to pull out the owners manual to find out how to shut off that stupid function! 🤬

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

IMO, yes. We rented a 2022 VW SUV on our September road trip. I finally had to pull out the owners manual to find out how to shut off that stupid function! 🤬

A rental with an owners manual?  I have never seen that before.

12 minutes ago, davekathy said:

You may be right, but this feature has been around for more than a decade, especially in Europe.  Not sure how long a starter typically lasts.  I also think I remembered reading that the starting process is a little different than a cold start, which would make since given that it's nearly immediate, while a cold start takes a second or two for the engine to turn over.  Time to do some Google research...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Why not ?

We don't usually exercise much on a cruise.  If we're on the ship, we're either sleeping, eating, drinking, relaxing, or being entertained (and occasionally gambling).  If we do want to exercise, we'll use the walking track.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I posted this in here before but it bears repeating:

Oh to be half as smart as my child thought I was

And only half as dumb as my teen thinks I am

Reminds me of this Mark Twain quote:

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

You may be right, but this feature has been around for more than a decade, especially in Europe.  Not sure how long a starter typically lasts.  I also think I remembered reading that the starting process is a little different than a cold start, which would make since given that it's nearly immediate, while a cold start takes a second or two for the engine to turn over.  Time to do some Google research...

Modern cars , with electric fuel pumps, you should never have to crank the starter for the car to start. My cars start with a quick touch of the starter, no gas pedal pumping.

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Yes! I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't my experience(s). :classic_rolleyes: Not the first time either I've had to pull the owners manual out for a rental. 

I once had a rental car that I had no experience with that brand. Went to get gas begore I returned it, and couldn't open the gas door. No manual in the car , as usual. Had about 4 guys looking with me and one finally found a lever on the floor, one way opened the trunk, the other opened the gas door. Nice multi function switch with no label.   

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

According to "the Internet", which we all know is never wrong, the auto-start/stop feature of cars does not cause the starter to wear out faster.  There are several reasons for this.  More details here:

Don't start-stop systems wear out your car's starter? (greencarreports.com)

and here:

Auto-Start/Stop: Is It Bad For My Engine? (Mythbusting) (mechanicbase.com)

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I wonder if that brake feature could be an issue once getting used to it and then driving a car without the feature. Would you forget and take your foot off the brake and the car start rolling?

Likely not.  To engage it, I need to press the brake pedal all the way down and verify that the "HOLD" light on my dashboard is lit.  After that happens, I still make sure that the car doesn't start moving when I take my foot off the brake.  That sequence of events is second nature to me now and only takes a second, but I still don't fully trust it.  Maybe I'll get to the point where I do it without thinking and then it could be a problem in a strange car.  Or maybe others wouldn't have my "trust issues" and have the problem you describe. 

4 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I once had a rental car that I had no experience with that brand. Went to get gas begore I returned it, and couldn't open the gas door. No manual in the car , as usual. Had about 4 guys looking with me and one finally found a lever on the floor, one way opened the trunk, the other opened the gas door. Nice multi function switch with no label.   

As usual I always check to see if there's a owners manual is in the glove box before driving off. Learned that lesson many years ago. If not I ask before leaving. The car we rented in July the owners manual was in the trunk under the trunk mat with the spare tire. Our September rental the owners manual was in the glove box. Same rental company. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, davekathy said:

As usual I always check to see if there's a owners manual is in the glove box before driving off. Learned that lesson many years ago. If not I ask before leaving. The car we rented in July the owners manual was in the trunk under the trunk mat with the spare tire. Our September rental the owners manual was in the glove box. Same rental company. 

I would rather Uber than rent when possible, last time we rented recently in Denver , waited on line then they told us to go to this spot, no car there , then went back they told us another one to take , battery was dead, third time was the charm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

We don't use it either, though my sister loves it. 

We enjoy, and use, the walking track just after breakfast.  The one on the promenade deck (lifeboats).   Prefer that to the way too busy upper deck jogging track.  (Too many people walking, running, and loungers pulled out too far).  

Get a kick out of stopping occasionally to watch the birds diving for flying fish too.  

I got to enjoy watching the diving birds.  They were going crazy.  I tried to video but you really couldn’t see them diving much on the video.  I may try watching the video on the tv to see if I can view it better. 
Sharon and are cruising buddies go down to the deck designated for running.  They get up early to run…..kids 😂 

• Like 4