Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Continuing the NJ diner discussion...I lived in Cherry Hill, NJ until 5th grade.  We had a great place there called Olga's Diner.  They sponsored my little league baseball team, and we went there a lot for our victory celebrations.  It looks like their original location closed and was demolished to turn a major traffic circle into an overpass (intersection of Rts 70 and 73 in Marlton).  They were closed for a decade and recently reopened in a new location nearby.  They no longer have a traditional looking diner building, but hopefully the food is still as good.  Anyone been to Olga's?

Been there(Olga's) many, many times. Lived not far from there for 60 years in  Vincentown. We lived not far from Vincentown Diner  too about 4 miles from Red Lion Circle where Rt. 206 and Rt 70 meet. where the Red Lion Diner is located at.

We lived about half way between both diners off of Rt 206

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I don’t know about you, but I felt so torn when I left my job. I wasn’t going to look for another one, though. I was old enough for Social Security, and my husband had retired. 
I felt like my coworkers were together, loving life, and I was all alone. I felt strange when I went shopping on a weekday morning.  Was an outsider in a new world. 
That lasted for about a week!!

You are going to a whole new and exciting life, so enjoy!

I worked for a company 25 years and was downsized with other employees.I was 53,way too young to retire.I found it very difficult to get another job.Employers were looking for younger people.17 months later I was hired but a year later the company merged with another company and they cut staff including me.I had to go into a totally different field to find employment.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Excellent choice.

Debbie & John ( @Sunshine3601 & @Ozark_Kid),

I've looked into this itinerary (and Jewel's too), only from this point of view. I think that the stops in Iceland are very good and afford seeing the highlights of this amazing country if it will be your only visit there. The overnight in Reykjavik is perfect.

Another plus - a stop in Norway to see a fjord 😉

Dani:Are you famliar with an Israeli singer Eliad Nachum ? He is appearing at a concert in NY next month.

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I had a productive day outside today.  I began by weeding in the area around the pool..I was going to start planting begonias, as well as lavender and rosemary....I'm hoping the lavender and rosemary, as well as the citronella plant I bought will help to deter the mosquitos this Summer.  We'll see!  I really hope it works.  We are supposed to get hail?? and are under tornado watch this evening, so instead of planting, I moved on to my tomorrow's project, which was to wash the siding on the front of the house, which I did get done.  We're having our front steps replaced (hopefully) this coming week, and I had wanted to get the house washed first.  Tomorrow I plan on painting the wood under the front door, and will then do my planting.  I am exhausted right now.  But in a good way!😉

It is storming in my area now.The thunderstorm began 3 hours ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I love Lavender and have it planted in the beds at our rear patio as well as citronella plants. They both seem to work good with mosquitos - just don't leave my patio onto the lawn then they get you😁

Last weekend I picked up an Aloe plant.   I have never grown one before so I thought I would give it a try.    For now I put into a larger planter on my patio and will figure out what to do with it when we get back home.     I am thinking I will keep in a planter so I can bring it inside in the winter.    Anyone have any suggestions on growing Aloe?

I've only had Aloe plants inside.  I always kept them in the sun in the window.  My sister's Aloe plants were huge!!!!  I believe she has our Dad's green thumb, though!  After my Dad passed away, we were playing horseshoes on the side of the house, when, as a horseshoe hit the dirt, a potato was unearthed.  We had no idea he had planted potatoes!  He had a huge vegetable garden in part of the backyard.   I can still picture him going to the garden every evening after arriving home from work.

• Like 4

Sushi tonight for dinner.

Pick your own Strawberries earlier today in Christianburg,Va. Finally in season now here in Virginia.

Made some Bisquick Shortcakes

Dessert Time, then into the hot tub.

Outside Temperature was 87 degrees earlier today but it is cooling off some now.

20220520_171745.jpg

20220520_195550.jpg

20220520_144613.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 8

25 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I worked for a company 25 years and was downsized with other employees.I was 53,way too young to retire.I found it very difficult to get another job.Employers were looking for younger people.17 months later I was hired but a year later the company merged with another company and they cut staff including me.I had to go into a totally different field to find employment.

I wasn’t downsized, I was tired. And the straw that broke my back was it was time to do the budget for my two offices again. I absolutely hated doing the budget. I thought about it leading up to my 62nd birthday and I thought about Dick sleeping when I went to work every day just because he turned 62 before me.

A week after my birthday I pulled the plug. 

My boss came to my main office rather irritated with me and asked what I was going to do instead of working.
I told her I was going to clean out my closet. That was July 1998. 
I finally cleaned out that closet, but only because we downsized to a condo in 2007. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Pick your own Strawberries earlier today in Christianburg,Va. Finally in season now here in Virginia.

Was 87 degrees earlier today but it is cooling off some now.

20220520_144541.jpg

20220520_171745.jpg

20220520_195550.jpg

I took a shortcut with the shortcake…I skipped it. Yesterday I cut up the strawberries and sprinkled them with sugar. Today we ate them by the bowlful with a pile of Reddiwip on top. 
Decadence!

Now if  I only had a hot tub!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Outside Temperature was 87 degrees earlier today but it is cooling off some now.

20220520_171745.jpg

20220520_195550.jpg

20220520_144613.jpg

We just finished having strawberries and whipped cream, still hot here currently 92, should finally cool off in a couple of days.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I've only had Aloe plants inside.  I always kept them in the sun in the window.  My sister's Aloe plants were huge!!!!  I believe she has our Dad's green thumb, though!  After my Dad passed away, we were playing horseshoes on the side of the house, when, as a horseshoe hit the dirt, a potato was unearthed.  We had no idea he had planted potatoes!  He had a huge vegetable garden in part of the backyard.   I can still picture him going to the garden every evening after arriving home from work.

That's a nice memory of your Dad.  😍 My Dad was also big into his gardening.  My Brother always says I inherited our Dad's green thumb.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I wasn’t downsized, I was tired. And the straw that broke my back was it was time to do the budget for my two offices again. I absolutely hated doing the budget. I thought about it leading up to my 62nd birthday and I thought about Dick sleeping when I went to work every day just because he turned 62 before me.

A week after my birthday I pulled the plug. 

My boss came to my main office rather irritated with me and asked what I was going to do instead of working.
I told her I was going to clean out my closet. That was July 1998. 
I finally cleaned out that closet, but only because we downsized to a condo in 2007. 

I retired in 2004 and Toby in 2008.We downsized to a condo in 2003.

• Like 3

@Sea Dog. Tonight has been Kraken night.   Eric is enjoying dark n Stormy and I have been doing my own rum punch version.   One of our neighbors stopped by and Eric made him  dark n Stormy and he really enjoyed.  Said he never had Kraken before and is coming back tomorrow night for grilling and hanging out on deck with a couple other neighbors.   I think we will have more recruits.   I hope there are no shortages of Kraken.

I just discovered I had the Xfinity streaming app recording a couple shows this winter.  I think I will keep the 2 below deck series recordings on the app for future tenants.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 1:47 PM, singinalot said:

Well, I’ve done it! Today was my official last day of working in Colorado…

Congrats I know you have been excited to move to Florida. It seems like yesterday you were here house hunting.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:20 PM, A&L_Ont said:

This is something we always do late April or early May…

Is this when you usually turn on your ac for the summer? We unfortunately have to use ours almost all year long. Are there many days you don’t have to use the ac or the heat? I would love to be able to have the windows open more for the “fresh” air.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:44 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

Cool crisp night at LBI.  Temp is currently 55 and can see lots of stars at the beach, but couldn't stay long with just sweatshirts on.  Burrr

Our nighttime lows this week are between 75 and 79 degrees. Ugh!

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@Sea Dog. Tonight has been Kraken night.   Eric is enjoying dark n Stormy and I have been doing my own rum punch version.   One of our neighbors stopped by and Eric made him  dark n Stormy and he really enjoyed.  Said he never had Kraken before and is coming back tomorrow night for grilling and hanging out on deck with a couple other neighbors.   I think we will have more recruits.   I hope there are no shortages of Kraken.

I just discovered I had the Xfinity streaming app recording a couple shows this winter.  I think I will keep the 2 below deck series recordings on the app for future tenants.

I’m so happy you are enjoying one of my favorite rums. Kraken is so versatile. Goes well with any rum based cocktail. I like to have a blend of light rum with dark rum. They work extremely well together.

• Like 3

So for my birthday along with a new Apple Watch, I got a new espresso machine.

03E43EFD-6BEB-49DC-A6C1-48204DB7668F.thumb.jpeg.12deeef290ece4961b6698e23db7f175.jpeg

3A9C4935-DB79-4100-86BD-C66775232454.thumb.jpeg.eb89ccf38ade58cb6ec1b812572e3321.jpeg

So in my continuing quest to make the perfect Espresso Martini, I did one for Linda with just Mr. Black, Chocolate Vodka, Demara syrup, and she loved it.

I did a version with Remy Cognac, Mr Black, Demara syrup and it was fantastic.

I love them both they gave their own unique flavor. Try them at home you will enjoy!

• Like 14

On 5/19/2022 at 10:41 PM, helen haywood said:

This was the purring pile I had to drag myself away from this morning 😞.  We’re driving to FLL to board Celebrity Equinox on Saturday.  Celebrating our 35th anniversary!

099FE66C-4F41-4785-AF4B-0C1978E23A43.thumb.jpeg.3c58b6f0e4925ad9edfb7b257b37bc44.jpeg

What a beautiful pile that is. Congrats your 35th anniversary. 

9 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Y'all. I'm researching cabins on Allure for a cruise next year after it moves to Galveston. I'm really interested in the Ultra Spacious Large Balcony cabins, of which there are only 7 on the ship. The cabin has extra room, built in bunk beds, extra balcony chairs, etc. These cabins can sleep 6. 

Here's my question. Is it selfish or rude to book a cabin like that simply because I like it, even though we only have one child and don't really "need" the extra space? I feel like I'd be taking one of those few cabins away from a larger family that might need it more. Is that a thing? Or am I over-thinking it?

I should add, we usually stay in regular balcony cabins, so I've never really thought about this before. I'm turning 50 next year and this cruise would be celebrating that, which is why we were considering upgrading a bit.

I don’t have any qualms about booking any cabins, but I would never book a handicapped cabin. That’s the only one I think people shouldn’t book if they don’t truly need it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Sadly this happens to a lot of older workers.  Shame experience and work ethic is not valued.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Y'all. I'm researching cabins on Allure for a cruise next year after it moves to Galveston. I'm really interested in the Ultra Spacious Large Balcony cabins, of which there are only 7 on the ship. The cabin has extra room, built in bunk beds, extra balcony chairs, etc. These cabins can sleep 6. 

Here's my question. Is it selfish or rude to book a cabin like that simply because I like it, even though we only have one child and don't really "need" the extra space? I feel like I'd be taking one of those few cabins away from a larger family that might need it more. Is that a thing? Or am I over-thinking it?

I should add, we usually stay in regular balcony cabins, so I've never really thought about this before. I'm turning 50 next year and this cruise would be celebrating that, which is why we were considering upgrading a bit.

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I don’t have any qualms about booking any cabins, but I would never book a handicapped cabin. That’s the only one I think people shouldn’t book if they don’t truly need it. 

+1 .

If your booking goes through, then go for it !!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Is this when you usually turn on your ac for the summer? We unfortunately have to use ours almost all year long. Are there many days you don’t have to use the ac or the heat? I would love to be able to have the windows open more for the “fresh” air.

We usually have a 2-4 weeks in the spring where we don’t have either on. Unfortunately with bad allergies at the same time we keep the windows closed.  We do have a fresh air intake that runs through a filter so we can still bring in fresh air and my nose, eyes and throat are OK.

More often than not we go from winter to AC with little time in between. The fall is an easier transition from hot to cooler weather. We might not have either run for a solid month or more. 

• Like 3

@DaniDanielleMarietta, my thoughts and prayers are with you, Charlie, your DD, and your DGs that you all find the strength to get through today.  May you find comfort in knowing that your SIL is resting peacefully in the arms of Jesus.  God Bless you all.  I am so very sorry.🌹

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

We usually have a 2-4 weeks in the spring where we don’t have either on. Unfortunately with bad allergies at the same time we keep the windows closed.  We do have a fresh air intake that runs through a filter so we can still bring in fresh air and my nose, eyes and throat are OK.

More often than not we go from winter to AC with little time in between. The fall is an easier transition from hot to cooler weather. We might not have either run for a solid month or more. 

We've just turned off the thermostat around 4 days ago.  I can't believe we've had the heat turned on through the middle of May.  Insane!!!   Anyhow, I happily opened the windows, only to have the green pollen in all of the rooms with open windows.🙄  Today it is going into the 90's here. (Looks like the AC will be going on)   I went outside around 8:00 to feed the Koi, and let me tell you, the sun is strong and it is already pretty warm outside.  I'm going to have to get outside soon if I want to get any planting, etc. done today!

• Like 1