Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

@Sunshine3601 Those teenage boys are like locusts clearing a field !

@HBE4 You reminded me that one of my college boyfriends drove his Dad’s Ford Galaxy sedan when he was home from college in Potsdam,NY. I remember that it was red and was a very big car. The gas tank must have been something to fill. Funny, that wasn’t something I considered back in those days !

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

We have been intrigued by river cruises and have looked at a couple different itineraries through different companies and decided maybe when we retire we will give it a try.    I like that you get a lot more scenery while cruising rivers than oceans but I would probably miss the ocean.   And you can dock at places that cruise ships could never dock.    

Are the cabins similar in size to say a balcony cabin on Royal?

I have been a bit intrigued by river cruises, too. But I just don't think they are for me.🤔

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I have been a bit intrigued by river cruises, too. But I just don't think they are for me.🤔

Exactly how I feel.      I am just not sure.    Eric is more interested than me.   I would give it a try for a nice European itinerary.

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Hi Deb,    I just typed the same thing.    She's a sweetie.     But we have to get her a colorful blanky.     I would have thought Tyler would have done that by now.  😁

Yes, as you said a jade or pink blanket.  I wonder if Taylor’s even met Jade yet 😉?!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

My Mom always wanted to book one and did about ten years ago with a friend.  Unfortunately, it was one of the years that the water was extremely low.  Instead of cancelling the cruises, the cruise line had one ship on either side of the unpassable area.  They did part of the cruise on one ship and then had to transfer to the other ship to finish.  Many of the normal places they dock were not accessible either and they had long bus rides added on to get them to their excursions.  Gangways were ridiculously steep and not easy for 70 something year old people.  My Mom was still very active at the time and it was still hard for her to traverse.  Her experience has put us off of river cruising as it is a lot of money to spend to be going bus to bus and ship to ship.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

He had two: a 1964 sedan and 1969 station wagon, which was eventually handed down to me  and became my first car in 1981. Since it was much bigger than anything my friends had, I became the go-to guy whenever large amounts of people and um, party supplies (i,e, kegs of beer) needed to be transported.

The back seats were pretty big too. Or so I’ve heard 😉🤣🫢

• Haha 15

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We have been intrigued by river cruises and have looked at a couple different itineraries through different companies and decided maybe when we retire we will give it a try.    I like that you get a lot more scenery while cruising rivers than oceans but I would probably miss the ocean.   And you can dock at places that cruise ships could never dock.    

Are the cabins similar in size to say a balcony cabin on Royal?

I would say similar.  The bathroom was nicer than a regular RC one.  Plenty of storage and a nice tiled shower.

The best part was that Avalon puts the bed facing the windows.  The windows are actually three glass panels and two of them slide open.  It gives you about 8’ or so of open air.  We loved sitting on the bed watching the river bank go by.  And I couldn’t believe how many swans there were!

It is certainly a small group of people, so you begin to know them.  We’re 68 and 70 and were on the younger side of average.  The staff were very accommodating.  One English gentleman we talked to had lost his uncle in the WWII battle near Remagan.  He wanted to see the area as we sailed by (A Bridge Too Far).  It was in the middle of the night, the staff did a wake up call. Then slowed down and used a large light so that he could see.  Now that’s great service.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Momof3gurlz said:

My first car was a 1973 Capri standard.  It was supposed to be for my older sister but she couldn't handle a stick shift.  We lived on a really big hill and she stopped on the hill to talk to my parents and got stuck since she couldn't balance the clutch.  My Dad thought it was hysterical as she kept stalling the car repeatedly and my type A personality sister told him "she failed to see the humor in the situation" and got out of the car and walked home lol  She refused to drive it again.  I was only 16 1/2 at the time with a brand new license in my pocket.  My Dad took me and the car to a parking lot, showed me what I needed to do to drive a stick shift and he went for a run.  I was flying around the parking lot by the time he got back and drove us home!  I never to the bus to school again.  

Back seat in that car was tiny but it did have bucket seats that reclined 😄 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

@Sea Dog

I just wanted to apologize to you when I made that reference to wild turkey.

Looking back, I do not know why I was so stupid to put that in.

I hope you will accept my apologizes.

And let me share a drink with you on the Bella Cruise.

Take care

From the stupid one.

No need to apologize. I thought it was hilarious. You and I are good. With all my talk about cocktails and bourbon on here one might wonder is he a lush or alcoholic? Rest assured I'm a responsible social drinker who mainly drinks on the weekends except for on a cruise where I do drink everyday. Most people who drink with me say that I'm happy after a few. I don't get mean or obnoxious. I'm pretty chill with a good cocktail. Speaking of Wild Turkey, The Wild Turkey Rare Breed is one great bottle of bourbon. It has a high ABV but is really tasty neat or on the rocks.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

No need to apologize. I thought it was hilarious. You and I are good. With all my talk about cocktails and bourbon on here one might wonder is he a lush or alcoholic? Rest assured I'm a responsible social drinker who mainly drinks on the weekends except for on a cruise where I do drink everyday. Most people who drink with me say that I'm happy after a few. I don't get mean or obnoxious. I'm pretty chill with a good cocktail. Speaking of Wild Turkey, The Wild Turkey Rare Breed is one great bottle of bourbon. It has a high ABV but is really tasty neat or on the rocks.

Ok, so why is it called "neat".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

A “neat” drink is a pure spirit, poured into a glass with no other ingredients added, not even ice. Whiskey is a very common spirit to drink neat, but that's different from a shot. A whiskey neat is usually two ounces, not chilled, poured directly into a NEAT glass.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I wish I had the pictures to prove it, but in the mid 70's I had a Ford van that I had customized. Remember when customizing vans was a big thing? Now mainly it was to haul my drums around to gigs but it had orange and brown shag carpeting on the floor and walls. A raised bed in the back with orange plush velvet, wood paneled ceiling with airplane lights. Speakers in the front of the raised bed and swivel captain chairs. I always got kidded about it as people would say "if the vans a rockin' don't bother come knockin' " Oh how I loved the 70's.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Have you ever watched the documentary "Neat"? It's a fascinating documentary about bourbon and whiskey, it's history and it's growing popularity. Really good.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Looks Great!     I absolutely love sunflowers.

I am sad that mine are already bloomed and done.   I have them hanging in the shed to dry out the seeds.

You would love this sunflower then, this is my Mom years ago in their garden in NJ.  These sunflowers were not even planted, it was a sunflower that came up by itself from last years  seeds that just fell on the ground from previous years.

My Dad planted sunflowers only 1 year, they would come up by themselves ever since and he would just transplant them into a row where ever in  his garden.

Bottom picture is a clematis we had at out house in NJ. It was huge.

Sunflower.jpg

20170906_190106.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 17

20 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

So, this is what we waited in for the fame to be called. Tonight would have been the 1st place team (us a C centre) VS 2nd place (which is a AAA team).  We are 1 for 1 with them, and it would have been the last meeting of the season.

We certainly need the rain though and now are watching the MLB All Star Game.

ADF2BFB5-1D0A-4D32-8841-9F44FABAE550.thumb.jpeg.bc3c49dd470ef5257d3399bb38ccacee.jpeg

Tourney update. Owen’s team won the first game, which took a crazy 3:30 minutes to play 7 innings, and beat them 17-11. The team we beat is hosting the Provincial finals that we will be playing in. We have played them twice in different tourneys and beat them both times. As they gave out the player of the game awards their coach did they hope to ply us again in the Provincials. As Lisa said, no mom picked the white pants.  

6C5A8290-A5C1-4712-BF83-090D2A2BA883.thumb.jpeg.67057615843750901c9721cd5cd1a5f1.jpeg

We arrived at the finals at 3:45  and was scheduled to begin at 2:30.  Who did we play, the team that broke Owen’s arm. We battled but were missing 3 players, but we gave this A Centre team a battle. Unfortunately our boys were spent after playing an extra 1:30 minutes longer. Final score was 13-11.  

A5F116D7-D3FE-46B0-A403-BFFC2FBF2479.thumb.jpeg.df574cc6c4d38310164fad5dc861343d.jpeg

The boys. 

31E89086-FB06-4C8A-83DA-62624CBD0E84.thumb.jpeg.6f4d94338425db283066ed8f561effa8.jpeg

Great score considering down 3 players, especially with Owen being one of them, and having played an extra inning game like that. 
Next year will be different!

37 minutes ago, ATG said:

Dinner was a sit down meal with lots of courses.  It took anywhere from 1.5 hours to almost 2.5.

Being "buffet-eaters" [for the choices and the possibility to be "in & out" in record time] that will be a deal breaker for us...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Being "buffet-eaters" [for the choices and the possibility to be "in & out" in record time] that will be a deal breaker for us...

My Mom didn't like that either.  She also didn't like that there wasn't someplace she could grab a quick coffee and snack, like a Cafe Promenade that we are used to.

• Like 4

Friends of ours went on the Mississippi River cruises, forget which one, about two months ago.  They are in their mid 70’s and were  the youngest on the cruise.  They came home with Covid and then last month she broke her arm in a bunch of places.  Of course, they blamed the cruise!

Greg, my brothers-in-law did pretty much the same with their vans!

• Like 2