Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

48 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Uh oh.  This is how they get you.  You find a second (after playing music), relatively small but occasionally important use for Google Home (make my phone ring).  Then maybe you're setting alarms/timers, asking it for a weather forecast, or possibly traffic conditions on the way to work.  Before you know it, you're creating a morning routine like I had before retiring.  I'd wake up on a work day and say "Alexa, good morning".  She'd turn the kitchen lights on at 50% brightness and say, "Good morning Bob.  The current weather is xx degrees with partly sunny skies.  Today's forecast is for sunny weather with a high of xx degrees and a low of xx degrees.  xx company stock (my company) closed yesterday at $xx.  Traffic to work is normal with an expected time of xx minutes.  You have xx days left before retirement.  Have a great day".  The weather forecast and traffic were useful, but the stock price, and especially the days left before retirement, were more for fun. 😁

Honestly, it's more likely to do something in error than to do something I want it to.  I was watching a funny video yesterday of a mom overhearing her daughter trying to get Google to set an alarm for "3:60" (instead of four o'clock), and MY Google set an alarm!!!  

I think part of the reason I don't use it for more things (besides the fact that I really don't have more things for it to do) is my control freak tendencies.  (Thanks, traumatic childhood!)  But we can be generous and instead of calling me neurotic, just say that I'm a "visual" person instead of an "aural" person.

I like to *see* the alarms (yes, plural -- I set three, each with a different ringtone) that I set on my phone when I need to get up for work.

I like to *see* the weather forecast (if I actually care about the weather, which I usually don't).  

Back when newspapers were still a thing in this town, I would read the paper every single day, but I would never watch the local or national news on television unless there was something in particular that I knew I wanted to see (typically someone I knew on the broadcast, and then I'd only watch until I saw the person I wanted to see).  I wanted to *see* the words with my own eyes, instead of hearing them spoken by someone else.  

I even like to have the captions on when I'm watching a show on tv, even though my hearing is normal.  

My brain can process the written word a bazillion times faster than the spoken word.  In case y'all haven't figured it out by now, I'm kind of a weirdo!  🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

My brain can process the written word a bazillion times faster than the spoken word.  In case y'all haven't figured it out by now, I'm kind of a weirdo!  🤣

I read that you are a weirdo... but I won't believe you until I HEAR you say it out loud...perhaps on Bella II 😉

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jmh2006 said:

Yes, I do know the Southport area very well.  It a great town and I love to eat at Fishy Fishy.  We toured models homes by our builder in St. James a couple of years ago.  We are building in Compass Pointe.  We purchased our lot in 2017.  We often go to the beach at Oak Isle but Wrightsville beach is a bit closer. 

Interesting we also toured in St. James and took rides in both Oak Island and Wrightsville. We also checked out further North, Hamstead and Surf City.  Found out though we like Southport a lot better.

https://www.fishyfishycafe.com/live-webcam

Looks like a beautiful day at Fishy Fishy........We have been there a few times, we also like "The Frying Pan's" Fried Shrimp that is nearby.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

Yes and no.  Emergency in this case is loosely defined as "danger to life and limb".  

In the case of a broken (or suspected) broken bone, there is actually a potential to lose the limb if the break is such that circulation is compromised (blood flow gets pinched off).  This isn't the type of thing that the average person is able to assess, so it's a legitimate reason to seek emergent medical care.  In the event there is a choice between an Urgent Care or an Emergency Department, a (suspected) broken bone in an ambulatory patient can be treated at an urgent care.  But if the person can't be taken to an urgent care (can't get to the car, etc.) or if it's after hours, a broken bone in the ED will be treated as "needing emergent care".

A cut that just needs stitches can go to an urgent care, because it needs assistance before office hours the next day, but it's not going to kill you in the next hour.  But a cut that is SPURTING blood can go to the Emergency Department because if the arterial bleed isn't stopped, the person could bleed out in as little as a few minutes.

A sore eye or case of pinkeye can go to an urgent care, but an eye that is popped out of the socket or a foreign object piercing the eye can go to the Emergency Department because there is a potential to lose sight in the eye (which, while not technically a "limb" for the "danger to life or limb" description, is considered as such for these purposes!). 

I had actually called my doctor's after-hours number on a Sunday afternoon about 15 years ago for a really bad case of pinkeye (I wanted to see if I could get some drops called in for it because of how much goop was coming out of it, rather than waiting to see my doc the next day -- I basically had mucus streaming out of my eye like a snotty nose on a kid with a cold). Based on the speed of the progression of my symptoms, the phone-triage nurse told me to seek attention at the ED within the next four hours or risk loss of vision.  (I had a raging sinus infection that had spread to my ears and eyes, so I ended up with an antibiotic injection PLUS antibiotic pills PLUS antibiotic eye drops PLUS a follow-up appointment scheduled with my regular doctor the next day to make sure it wasn't progressing.)  

Back in the early 90s, I ended up with a urinary tract infection.  The symptoms started up on a Friday afternoon, and by the time I got out of work from my second job at 11pm, I was urinating blood.  I went to the local ED, peed in the cup, got the UTI confirmed, and walked out with antibiotics.  A couple months later, I got a notice that my insurance had denied my claim because I went to the ED for something I should have seen my regular doctor for. 

I called the insurance company and told them to look at the time of the visit -- 11pm on a Friday, with blood in the urine. At the time, there were no urgent care centers (and even now that we have them, they're all closed by 8pm), so if I hadn't gone to the ED I would have needed to wait until Monday morning to see my regular doctor.  An untreated UTI can develop into a kidney infection or even sepsis and death, so waiting 60 hours until I could see my doctor could have cost a lot more than just a quick ED visit.   They investigated the claim, discovered that I was right, and approved the payment for my visit to the ED.  (And yes, I seem to have a propensity for contracting infections on weekends when I can't see my regular doctor!)

People love to gripe about how long they had to wait in the Emergency Department before they were seen/treated by a "provider" (that term was thrown in especially for @Ocean Boy! LOL), but in reality, probably 90% of the things that I've seen come in to the ED didn't need to be seen in the ED at all if it was between the hours of 8am-8pm when the urgent cares in my area are open.  If you're waiting 12+ hours to be seen in the ED, it's either because your situation isn't really an emergency (most likely) or because there are more people having way worse emergencies than yours.  

Yes, it sucks to wait 12 hours to get stitches because you sliced your hand instead of your bagel, but you're way better off than the people in the back who are getting CPR and having strokes and have broken bones sticking through their skin.  

If all the people with sprained ankles and toe pain and toothaches would go see their primary care provider or go to an urgent care for treatment instead of the ED, then the wait times in the ED would be greatly reduced, and the financial strain on both the federal system (Medicare/Medicaid) and the private health insurance companies would be greatly reduced as well. (And don't get me started on how many of those toe pain patients arrived via ambulance after calling 911 and they don't have to pay a dime for it.)

But in order for that to happen, we need to have more urgent care centers with extended hours, and we need a LOT of education for the general public about the reasons to go to an Emergency Department and the reasons to go to an Urgent Care Center.  

PHEW, sorry about that.  I couldn't decide between GIFs, so you're getting both of these:

we-have-our-very-own-digital-soapbox-annie-murphy.gif.66a5da016f620ebbbf8c40c21c490550.gif

rant-ranting.gif.212e4efed63fa2fde596ff87e3ad2d0e.gif

31 years ago, one Saturday, my daughter, 5 at the time, had bad burning when peeing.  I KNEW it probably was a UTI.  I called her Pediatrician for advice and he advised me to get to his office as soon as we could.  He opened up the office, did whatever test he had to do, prescribed an anti biotic.  Those were the days!

• Like 14

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Eight years ago today, we were at the hospital to welcome the birth of our granddaughter.  We will probably see her briefly today, but next Saturday will be the big birthday party.  

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Happy 8th birthday to your dear granddaughter.

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Happy 8th Birthday to your granddaughter.  

+ 3  💐

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

My 1st Rollator came in today!  It was not supposed to arrive until between the 20th to the 24th.  This will give me a chance to get used to it before Hawaii.  It also converts to a transport chair.  

A quick note, when flying, I initially used gate check, but they tended to be rough on  it, knocking bits off.   Now I check  it with the luggage, and get wheelchair assistance to the gate. They seem to take better care of it that way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

31 years ago, one Saturday, my daughter, 5 at the time, had bad burning when peeing.  I KNEW it probably was a UTI.  I called her Pediatrician for advice and he advised me to get to his office as soon as we could.  He opened up the office, did whatever test he had to do, prescribed an anti biotic.  Those were the days!

I am old enough to remember when doctors did house calls, god I am old.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

A quick note, when flying, I initially used gate check, but they tended to be rough on  it, knocking bits off.   Now I check  it with the luggage, and get wheelchair assistance to the gate. They seem to take better care of it that way.

Thanks for the advice.  What happens at layovers.  Do they usually help you to the next boarding area.  As of now I think I would make it OK if it's in the same area.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, jmh2006 said:

I just finished reading this lovely thread from Tuesday thru now and boy I missed a lot.  I had a crazy 4 days last week down in North Carolina where DH and I are building our retirement home so that I could make all the selections, exterior colors, interior colors, cabinets, counter, flooring, electrical placements, closet configurations, lighting fixtures, plumbing fixtures, landscaping, appliances, sound system and security systems.  It was exhausting.  It was a tremendous help to have a good friend/decorator with me to keep me focused and on track.  DH stayed home 😄.

Just reading about all of your important decisions that you've had to make these past 4 days is making my head spin!  I hope you had some fun while you were there with your good friend/ decorator.  We all need one, for sure!

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Eight years ago today, we were at the hospital to welcome the birth of our granddaughter.  We will probably see her briefly today, but next Saturday will be the big birthday party.  

Happy 8th Birthday to your beautiful granddaughter!  I hope she's enjoying her special day!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks for the advice.  What happens at layovers.  Do they usually help you to the next boarding area.  As of now I think I would make it OK if it's in the same area.

We request assistance for the entire trip. I do this when making the reservation. They will have chairs in the jetway when you land, and if connecting, get you to the next gate. We do tip the person helping you.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@brilloheadI'll have to tell my grandson Jack about having Alex make his phone ring.  He's always asking his Mom to call his phone when he misplaces it.

On another note, I bring our Alexa back and forth with us between NJ and Florida.  Every morning when I ask for the weather, she begins by telling me the forecast in Naples.  When I tell her we're not there, we're in NJ, she replies "I'm not sure"!!!🤔

• Haha 11

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

That's interesting, I've always had good luck with gate checking (used to do strollers when my son was little, and now doing a wheelchair when traveling with my amputee friend).  

When gate-checking, the item should get placed on the top in the cargo hold, versus being tossed in "wherever" with a checked item.

29 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

They will provide a wheelchair and pusher in any airport, but be aware that the pusher is likely to be a very fast walker, so the rest of your traveling party will have to "hoof it" to keep up!  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Just reading about all of your important decisions that you've had to make these past 4 days is making my head spin!  I hope you had some fun while you were there with your good friend/ decorator.  We all need one, for sure!

Happy 8th Birthday to your beautiful granddaughter!  I hope she's enjoying her special day!

Yes Maryann my head was spinning.  We did get to take a nice walk on the beach and had two lovely meals with my father!

Edited by jmh2006
  • Like 9

19 minutes ago, brillohead said:

That's interesting, I've always had good luck with gate checking (used to do strollers when my son was little, and now doing a wheelchair when traveling with my amputee friend).  

When gate-checking, the item should get placed on the top in the cargo hold, versus being tossed in "wherever" with a checked item.

They will provide a wheelchair and pusher in any airport, but be aware that the pusher is likely to be a very fast walker, so the rest of your traveling party will have to "hoof it" to keep up!  

My wife was the one who insisted I do the wheelchair thing. Said I was too slow walking, the pusher walks at the same speed as she does. Also, when we do through security, they take a lot of time inspecting it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, George C said:

I am old enough to remember when doctors did house calls, god I am old.

I can remember our Pediatrician making house calls from where his office was in Brooklyn to where we lived in lower Manhattan.  If I needed a shot *gasp* he would walk out of my bedroom with my mother not saying a word, to set up the needle.  I just KNEW!  If no shot, he would say goodbye and smile.

I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating:

My father had surgery when he was in his 70s.  My mother told the doctor in the Manhattan hospital that she knew his father, many years ago in Brooklyn, also a doctor.  The young doctor told my mother his last name was not uncommon at all and asked how she was sure she knew his father.  My mother smiled and told him she remembers him running in and out of his father's office when he was a young child.  She said "You look the same as that little boy in your father's office". 

• Like 10

11 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Happy Birthday to your GrandDaughter.   I hope she is having a wonderful day.   

Is it a surprise party next Saturday?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Happy Birthday to your GrandDaughter.   I hope she is having a wonderful day.   

Is it a surprise party next Saturday?

No surprise for her.  They rented a skating rink for a Barbie theme skating party. Should be fun for her and her friends.  

• Like 8