Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Not yet!!!!!

I really like westbound TA's , but the ones that go there usually are going to the Northeast for the fall leaf season.  The Connie cruise left Dover, UK for NYC.

We were living in Ct at the time, so it was handy for us. 

Not so much now. 

But, never say never.  WE did our first eastbound in 2019. DW said I want to go on a cruise. I said "Hey look, how about TPA to AMS", only a month or so before the cruise. No planning, just go. Had a great time.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 6

57 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I really like westbound TA's , but the ones that go there usually are going to the Northeast for the fall leaf season.  The Connie cruise left Dover, UK for NYC.

We were living in Ct at the time, so it was handy for us. 

Not so much now. 

But, never say never.  WE did our first eastbound in 2019. DW said I want to go on a cruise. I said "Hey look, how about TPA to AMS", only a month or so before the cruise. No planning, just go. Had a great time.

We have not yet done a TA crossing.   I want to but Eric is unsure if he would like that many sea days.    We have been on cruise ships for several b2b2b's (up to a month) and that was fine with him but we weren't at sea for 5 or 7 days at a time.   Someday soon I will get him to say "Yes, Honey!"  LOL

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 10:54 PM, mo&fran said:

When I wake up, I wonder if i will be able to swallow today.  I take my morning meds, I can swallow. Today is a success. I figure I am good for the day.

Mike & I are keeping you in our thoughts. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

On 8/28/2023 at 5:53 PM, Sea Dog said:

Pinda Colada and a Mudslide?

Yes, very tasty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We have not yet done a TA crossing.   I want to but Eric is unsure if he would like that many sea days.    We have been on cruise ships for several b2b2b's (up to a month) and that was fine with him but we weren't at sea for 5 or 7 days at a time.   Someday soon I will get him to say "Yes, Honey!"  LOL

We were on our third cruise in 2003 , I said I want to go to Europe and cruise back.

That was on Connie. From England. The next 2 years on Millennium from BCN, then Century again BCN, the we switched from Celebrity to Navigator for our first B2B  , eastern Med plus TA to Fl. Stayed with Royal after that.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Same here Debbie. Andy thinks he would go stir crazy with that many sea days. Which means he’d be driving me nuts so I don’t see one in our future.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I made final payment on our upcoming cruise today.  I was able to use up all of our FCCs and other credits from all of the cruises we canceled when my daughter was diagnosed.  Most had to be used before the first week of January.

I still don't have any excitement building to be back cruising.  I have looked at a couple things, but we may just try to enjoy some down time once we get onboard.  We do have quite a bit of OBC, so will use it for grats and maybe a couple excursions after we board.

And from what I read, this may be the last of reasonable cruise fares for us for a while.

Nothing wrong with some down time and relaxing after the past what is it, year and a half? you’ve had. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

Just got back from my radiation appointment. Thursdays, the Dr checks my progress, and he was impressed with the progress with the lumps decrease in size. Tuesda they will do scan, and he expects a big reduction in the power of the radiation to concentrate on eradicating the cancer.  

Now eating what I can, supplemented by PEG tube feedings.

Great news! Looking forward to your next update. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Same here Debbie. Andy thinks he would go stir crazy with that many sea days. Which means he’d be driving me nuts so I don’t see one in our future.  

My real reason for the TA was the opportunity to go see Europe, and not have to fly home. And we loved sea days,  so it worked for us.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

9 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We have had to cancel 3 transatlantic's in the past.   Covid canceled the last one for us.

On our Hawaiian cruise, we had 5 Sea days after leaving the Hawaiian Islands to Ensenada, Mexico on our repositioning cruise.  I wasn't sure we'd like 5 Sea days, but we really enjoyed it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

We have had to cancel 3 transatlantic's in the past.   Covid canceled the last one for us.

On our Hawaiian cruise, we had 5 Sea days after leaving the Hawaiian Islands to Ensenada, Mexico on our repositioning cruise.  I wasn't sure we'd like 5 Sea days, but we really enjoyed it.

one thing that we enjoyed about westbound, and didn't like about eastbound , is the time changes. Like 25 hour days, not 23 hour days. 

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I am with the 2 of you, I think I would love it, Jim not so much.  He starts going stir crazy with 2 consecutive sea days 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

I LOVE Sea days. I don't feel guilty about reading all day. We even make a lot of port days into sea days. ☺️ Of course, reading is what I do many days at home, but the view is much better on a cruise. On Serenade, we had a large pod of dolphins one day.

• Like 8

image.thumb.jpeg.b003d7a8c92b416fd6078e1d1d9d32dc.jpeg  For Jimbo ,

Well , this was not so easy for someone who is not computer literate.  My friend didn’t specify where in Greenland this was taken .  She returned last Friday and  mentioned that there were ice breaker pilots on board for the 2 ports they visited in Greenland and for Prince Christian Sound , also. 

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Our Bermuda cruise on Saturday got changed due to the Hurricane.  We are now going to Portland Maine and Halifax Nova Scotia.  Those are both new ports for us so any recommendations are welcome.  We are totally good with it.

Cheers 🍻

Mark

Been to both ports many times.  In Halifax, we like taking a cab up to the Citadel first thing off the ship and doing the first guided tour.  It ends right around the time they do the noon firing of the cannon.  We then walk down the hill to the waterfront boardwalk and do some shopping on the way back to the ship.  Along the boardwalk is also a Maritime Museum that has a lot of Titanic artifacts.  Whole museum can be done in about an hour.  Discount admission with AAA card or CAA card.  We have also done a brewery tour at Alexander Keith Brewery which is also right in the area.  It is done in costume and once you start the tour you are back in time when they are just starting the brewery.  You end up in a pub in the brewery with bar maids singing sea shanties.  Cost of tour includes two beers last time we did it.  There is also an immigration museum in the opposite direction of the boardwalk that has good exhibits.  Peggy's Cove is another option but would be an excursion or car hire at the port.

In Portland, we are doing something very different when we go there later this fall.  We are going to do the Mail Run on Casco Bay Ferries.  It is $17pp and you go on the mail boat to five of the islands in Casco Bay.  If there are a bunch of passengers, they will narrate. otherwise, it is byob and food, and you just enjoy the scenery.  Length of cruise depends on how much freight they are moving that day but is typically 3 to 3 1/2 hours.  We are going to go to Holy Donuts, grab a large coffee and some potato donuts and enjoy our trip, weather permitting.  Tickets only sold day of, so no money lost if we change our minds.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Going back a few days.  This was Jewel approaching the locks as we sailed from Amsterdam a few days ago.  I don’t think the webcam showed this as it was so far out from the port.  Beautiful countryside.

IMG_0574.thumb.jpeg.9910a31b4bb3df0743941c519ec1ecbd.jpeg

Tons of wind turbines 

IMG_0580.thumb.jpeg.8ded268a1621775afccc242dbd1010cd.jpeg

IMG_0582.thumb.jpeg.000639ca86cc31c3f983ef7c338dd860.jpeg

We sit and wait 

IMG_0584.thumb.jpeg.0726187a51fe7fb7b0f668ac544c3336.jpeg

IMG_0586.thumb.jpeg.e38eaf4c9bb47589ee29871281b11621.jpeg

IMG_0588.thumb.jpeg.d510a765f043c7d4a4529980000b8b5e.jpeg

IMG_0591.thumb.jpeg.32df8b8f57f8040878713b52b7fe4163.jpeg

IMG_0593.thumb.jpeg.1731d49ee30cbce7da6079635157b63a.jpeg

IMG_0596.thumb.jpeg.d39134d2151660b1144d982de6de29e1.jpeg

Lots of lighthouses 

IMG_0606.thumb.jpeg.f189b67c16ac5f477715e1572bcfd0b6.jpeg

IMG_0612.thumb.jpeg.e5b2966919aa96eec811dfd70593b344.jpeg

IMG_0613.thumb.jpeg.0834c58fd819b7216bb338b3382d4322.jpeg

IMG_0616.thumb.jpeg.0f8dd178f43c441ad359df54caa3c213.jpeg

IMG_0620.thumb.jpeg.3b880f424d0032a1618ba275202d9407.jpeg

IMG_0615.thumb.jpeg.49e04577a81ad3799f8ea644bc5f0347.jpeg

Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos.  They are all stunning.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

I LOVE Sea days. I don't feel guilty about reading all day. We even make a lot of port days into sea days. ☺️ Of course, reading is what I do many days at home, but the view is much better on a cruise. On Serenade, we had a large pod of dolphins one day.

I'm with you.  I Love sea days, reading and relaxing.   Maybe all us girls should do a TA and leave the guys at home.  😇😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd have no problem being on a cruise with 5 or 7 sea days in a row. But I think it would need to be on a bigger ship, at least Voyager-class & up. 

The smallest ship I sailed on was Serenade. One of my most favorite cruises based on the friends we made & the crew. But only 1 of the 7 days was a Sea Day & it was the very last day when we were exhausted from 6 port days so we didn't really get to "know" the ship that well since we spent very little time on it.  It was early in our cruising career when we still tried to pack as much stuff as possible into every day.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'd have no problem being on a cruise with 5 or 7 sea days in a row. But I think it would need to be on a bigger ship, at least Voyager-class & up. 

The smallest ship I sailed on was Serenade. One of my most favorite cruises based on the friends we made & the crew. But only 1 of the 7 days was a Sea Day & it was the very last day when we were exhausted from 6 port days so we didn't really get to "know" the ship that well since we spent very little time on it.  It was early in our cruising career when we still tried to pack as much stuff as possible into every day.

We love Serenade and have sailed on her for a month in 2020 before lockdown and something like 25 days January 2019.   

We haven't been onboard her since 2020 and really looking forward to our 12 night repo sailing on 9.12.  We know this ship very well...love this ship class.

• Like 4