Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I use my phone to identify plants too. It works really well.

The iphone pictures app will outline something it thinks you are trying to ID but I haven't always been able to have it figure out what it was.  I just tried it with a picture of the MSC ship that was docked beside us in Puerto Plata but it just kept redrawing the line around it.  I didn't know if it would tell me it was the specific ship or what.  Didn't know if it was smart enough to read the name on the back. 😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I am not sure how long it has been there but we use it a lot to ID plants.  It gets them right most of the time.  I have a hanging plant that has three different flowers in it and I was trying to figure out what they were, I missed the sticker telling me 😇.  I thought it was verbena but it thought it was something else but when I took a better picture of a more mature flower, it got it right.

DW is going to love this feature.  She was looking into different apps that identify but then also give a diagnosis if it needs more light or fertilizer etc

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

DW is going to love this feature.  She was looking into different apps that identify but then also give a diagnosis if it needs more light or fertilizer etc

There are a bunch of apps out there but most only give you so many lookups for free, then you have to pay and I hate paying for apps.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrzLvr2 said:

I am so very sorry.  

I am so very sorry for your loss.  I hope your happy memories with Maureen will bring you peace.

Edited by Gardener5b

1 hour ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Works really well.  It confirmed what I thought but wasn’t totally sure on for a few of them.  I must have missed that addition in one of the updates I guess.

You do have a nice selection of birds and wildlife. You have cowbirds. (which we have, too) Kind of unpleasant parasitic birds that lay their eggs in other's nests. And flickers, sparrows, cardinal, woodpeckers, finches, blackbirds. Quite an assortment! ☺️ Our poor little juncos try so hard to feed the larger cowbird fledglings. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures of all of the beautiful  birds in your garden.  So many!  And they all shared the bird food!😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Coralc said:

You do have a nice selection of birds and wildlife. You have cowbirds. (which we have, too) Kind of unpleasant parasitic birds that lay their eggs in other's nests. And flickers, sparrows, cardinal, woodpeckers, finches, blackbirds. Quite an assortment! ☺️ Our poor little juncos try so hard to feed the larger cowbird fledglings. 

Cowbird was one that iphone helped me confirm identity 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures of all of the beautiful  birds in your garden.  So many!  And they all shared the bird food!😉

Happy to share!  Between the seed and the suet I’ve got a little something for everyone 😆 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

There are a bunch of apps out there but most only give you so many lookups for free, then you have to pay and I hate paying for apps.  

I hate paying for apps so much that I've never done it.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Once for me (work related)  and never again.  In-app purchases are another pet peeve of mine.  Who the F is paying $39.99 for fake coins on some monopoly go (or whatever) app ?  seems crazy to me but what do I know.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't think I have ever bought one either.  I won't spend money in free apps either, like buying lives or special candies in Candy Crush.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Works really well.  It confirmed what I thought but wasn’t totally sure on for a few of them.  I must have missed that addition in one of the updates I guess.

Of course, there are times that it doesn’t work well.  But then, this was a nice Valentine Day box. 🤣

IMG_1295.thumb.png.fea977a7b672eb6be119b037e62676f4.png

• Haha 8

I don’t care that it is 6:40 am in Denver, I have been up for 8 hours, and this place should be open. 😁

IMG_1296.thumb.jpeg.67e32969e8086c00319c38efa48439f4.jpeg

Our first class meal this morning. 

IMG_1294.thumb.jpeg.0d48bb60d0223b991ec20f9be687ce05.jpeg

Half hour flight delay for our SFO leg.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 15

On 6/8/2024 at 2:15 PM, Luckynana said:

I am finally caught up, since I haven't been on for two days or so.  It doesn't take long to fall way behind!

So true, especially on weekends. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I don’t care that it is 6:40 am in Denver, I have been up for 8 hours, and this place should be open. 😁

Very generous! Is this a two for one meal? meaning two people to share one meal?

And that glass of soda looks like a medicine dosage cup!😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Very generous! Is this a two for one meal? meaning two people to share one meal?

And that glass of soda looks like a medicine dosage cup!😁

I didn’t have to share.  Susan got the same generous treatment. 

• Haha 8

On 6/8/2024 at 9:44 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Spending the day in NYC

20240608_093646.thumb.jpg.b243111a4cecbac6f89c1a4822cb76fe.jpg

On 6/8/2024 at 10:45 AM, MJSailors said:

@Ocean Boy You have a perfect day to enjoy NYC!

It is a 10 weather day for sure!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

I could see NYC from the beach on Saturday 

20240608_172758.thumb.jpg.2d489396137dc1a992ca57bd4e5a3402.jpg

Let's zoom in a bit 

20240608_125025.thumb.jpg.eaba61598035ffad0f6727d6fa9f886a.jpg

And it certainly was a perfect 10 weatherwise. The beach was on a little island in the Long Island Sound a 20 minute ferry ride from Connecticut.  Small island packs in a lot, in addition to the beach it has a pavilion,  picnic grounds,  concession stand, bathroom,  showers, kayak rentals.  

20240608_122035.thumb.jpg.3c4f1d57b9894c88e27220d0ae217d3c.jpg

• Like 16

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve downloaded an app just to find out it is subscription based. It gets immediately deleted.

40 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Safe travels wished for you!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I can just imagine what the folks in economy received.

• Haha 10

1. I wanted to add that when I was at the beach, I was mindful of the recent conversations regarding skin cancer. I hate wearing hats despite the fact I have at least 20+ different hats, ball caps, etc, f all sizes an shapes. People keep giving them to me as gifts over the years. Not sure why since I never wear them. Did I mention I hate wearing hats? Just don't like the feel of something tight on my head.

Anyways, had my first ever full body scan by a dermatologist a few weeks ago & while I passed with flying colors, she did recommend that I start wearing a hat whenever I'm outside to cover my *ahem* slight thinning spot (ok, bald spot) on top of my head.  It's been her experience that most men my age get skin cancer on top of their heads and ears.  So after reading about @Sea Dog recent experience and the various creams and side effects others have experienced, I decided I rather wear an uncomfortable hat. Fortunately, all the hats are in "like new" condition since I never wear them.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, HBE4 said:
  1. I wanted to add that when I was at the beach, I was mindful of the recent conversations regarding skin cancer. I hate wearing hats despite the fact I have at least 20+ different hats, ball caps, etc, f all sizes an shapes. People keep giving them to me as gifts over the years. Not sure why since I never wear them. Did I mention I hate wearing hats? Just don't like the feel of something tight on my head.

Anyways, had my first ever full body scan by a dermatologist a few weeks ago & while I passed with flying colors, she did recommend that I start wearing a hat whenever I'm outside to cover my *ahem* slight thinning spot (ok, bald spot) on top of my head.  It's been her experience that most men my age get skin cancer on top of their heads and ears.  So after reading about @Sea Dog recent experience and the various creams and side effects others have experienced, I decided I rather wear an uncomfortable hat. Fortunately, all the hats are in "like new" condition since I never wear them.

At least I am seeing more men wearing hats and long sleeve swim shirts in the sea and pool so it makes me feel more comfortable wearing them. In the end I would rather be safe and look kind of dorky than get skin cancer.

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

At least I am seeing more men wearing hats and long sleeve swim shirts in the sea and pool so it makes me feel more comfortable wearing them. In the end I would rather be safe and look kind of dorky than get skin cancer.

My husband along with spraying his ears and head with sunscreen wears a motorcycle bandana swimming.  When he is not swimming he wears a hat.  So far it has kept his umm thinner hair areas untouched by the sun.  

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Me too. And at the risk of sounding conceited, the reason people keep gifting me with hats is that I'm told it's a good look for me. So there's that & I'm sure I'll get used to wearing them on a regular basis.

• Like 4

I do have a bit of good news to share. Tonight is Game 2 of the Stanley Cup finals and had the NY Rangers advanced, I'd be attending the game at Madison Square Garden with 3 others. (Playoff tickets are usually sold in advance before knowing if the team will make the next round).  I just got my refund for the 4 tickets I had purchased.

But that's not the good news.

How much was the refund? Well, the good news is that it will pay for my recently booked balcony cabin for a 8 night Southern Caribbean cruise on Adventure of the Seas.  And the round trip flight to Orlando.

First cruise in 5 years. First solo cruise.  Well, first solo-ish cruise as a group of friends convinced me to join them as well as their friends. So cruising with old friends while making new ones. First time visiting Aruba on a cruise ship (I've vacationed there at least 8-10 times in the past) and first time visiting Curacao and CoCo Cay. No Bonaire but I guess the Bahamas will be the substitute B for ABC islands. 😀

I'm cautiously excited. First cruise without DW, the only person I've ever cruised with (not counting the last one when her daughter joined us), but there will be a large enough group(s) of people to spread myself around & mingle with. And when I need to retreat to the sanctuary of my cabin to process the feelings I know I will have, I won't be impacting anyone else's enjoyment or leaving them high and dry.

So thank you Florida Panthers for knocking the NY Rangers out of the playoffs. An 8 night cruise is a nice substitute for attending one championship game. 😁

• Like 29