Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

In my late teen years my friends and I would take the NYC subway every summer to Brighton Beach Bay 3 every Sat. and Sun. weather permitting.  Manhattan Beach was an extra subway ride.  Going home we would stop by and get chocolate ices in a cup and then get on the EL for the long ride home.  It took at least an hour. Even though I knew I would be back, I hated going home.

I miss the beach so much.

@A&L_Ont Looks like you had a wonderful, yummy Thanksgiving and nephew's birthday.  I would have eaten that chocolate turkey right away!  Cow picture so whimsical.  

In my teens my friends and I would take the BMT train to Bay 3 every Saturday and Sunday to.We loved seeing the beach from the train ..We also went for the chocolate ices.After I got married my parents moved to Coney Island Avenue 1/2 block from the beach.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you, Bonnie.  Jim's not a complainer, but he will admit that this whole thing is tough.  He said his PT really beat him up today, and put him through the ringer.  He just thought he'd be up and about much quicker.  When he had his open-heart surgery, he thought the same thing.  It's certainly not fun.  With that said, he has gotten up and down the 14 steps to get to the second floor, and he's walked around the house quite a bit without the walker, but that really exhausts him.  He sees the surgeon this Friday.  

Hopefully he will get a great report from the surgeon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

I remember taking subway to Brighton beach , we also did Rockaway occasionally( by car)  Strange being so far from the ocean now. 

Two of my friends relocated to Houston and after they retired they moved with their spouses to a Dallas suburb.Many of their neighbors grew up in Brooklyn .

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

On my last cruise,again I was wearing my Born In Brooklyn tee shirt.I was in an elevator.A woman entered and asked where in Brooklyn.I replied and she said that she too grew up in that part of Brooklyn.She asked what street and we lived on the same street.She asked what house number and it was very close to hers.However,we never knew each other.

I never have to wear a Brooklyn tshirt.  People automatically ask me where in NY I'm from the minute I start to talk....err tawk. 

34 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In my teens my friends and I would take the BMT train to Bay 3 every Saturday and Sunday to.We loved seeing the beach from the train ..We also went for the chocolate ices.After I got married my parents moved to Coney Island Avenue 1/2 block from the beach.

I forgot to specify one important element.  Those chocolate ices were Italian ices.  So refreshingly good.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Keksie said:

Since you asked.  LOL.  Samantha has decided that the bed is a good place to hang out.  I had to take the puffy soft pad out.  I put it in her playpen and she beats it up.  

201078221_Samantha10.thumb.jpeg.6cb447fc7f9e63e60d7c6900d6410c46.jpeg

Oh thank you...thank you!!  Such a pretty girl.  She does love to pose for the camera doesn't she?  Those big paws are getting bigger!   Always love the special tufts on the ears of Maine Coon cats!  Precious!   

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I never have to wear a Brooklyn tshirt.  People automatically ask me where in NY I'm from the minute I start to talk....err tawk. 

I forgot to specify one important element.  Those chocolate ices were Italian ices.  So refreshingly good.

I have lived in Dallas area for about a decade more than I lived In NYC but definitely speak Brooklyn. I loved Italian ice but would always get lemon flavor. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I learned it from my aunt who said it's a northern thing but where exactly I don't know. She made homemade egg noodles but I have heard that if you get "Reames" egg noodles they work just as good. That's what I use.  So at Thanksgiving we make that that dent in the potatoes that holds the gravy but before pouring the gravy put a big helping of egg noodles in there and on top of the potatoes than add the gravy. It's a carb overload but so good. The key is to mix them all together so if you like separate piles you may not like it but trust me it's really good.

I’m from Indiana originally.  One of my favorite things growing up was chicken and noodles with mashed potatoes.   My great grandma, who lived with us, made hers from scratch.  But I use Reames.  Almost as good and much easier.  A plate with a pile of potatoes and the noodles poured over - heaven!  We usually do it once a year, since it’s sooooo heavy.

• Like 3

Good afternoon.

It has been raining all morning and is a cool 54°F and the rain has just stopped now at 14.30pm.

I did 5 hours of sales calls this morning and I have just had Prawn Linquine for lunch at home while watching Judge Judy on TV.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Gorgeous photos. 

The last time we were there was Jan 2020 and had reservations for sunset dinner at the italian restaurant next to lighthouse park but they emailed us prior to cruise they would be closed I forget why.

We had a fun meal at the west deck restaurant on the beach and saw a gorgeous sunset.

Hope to get back to aruba early 2022.  

I've eaten at both. The Italian restaurant by the lighthouse was good, not great. I was a bit disappointed as I heard great things about it. I think the ambiance & views makes the food taste better than it really is.  But I've only ate there once I would give it another try. I usually give a place 3 or 4 chances before giving up on it.

West Deck is more casual but definitely more lively.

And hiking to the top of Old Barney lighthouse in LBI is definitely much more easier with it's nice, wide steps in a well-lit staircase....and handrails.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, George C said:

I do take a over the counter medication called instaflex it has really helped , 

Interesting George I have never heard of that but I want to try it. Getting both my knees injected before my cruise next week.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Gravy in this house, maybe butter too if one was decedent.  This sounds interesting. 

You should try it. I guarantee you will like it.

16 minutes ago, ATG said:

I’m from Indiana originally.  One of my favorite things growing up was chicken and noodles with mashed potatoes.   My great grandma, who lived with us, made hers from scratch.  But I use Reames.  Almost as good and much easier.  A plate with a pile of potatoes and the noodles poured over - heaven!  We usually do it once a year, since it’s sooooo heavy.

Come to think of it now. I think this did come from Indiana and started off as a chicken and noodles thing over mashed. Yes we only do it for Thanksgiving to make it special. It's not Keto friendly but oh so good.

• Like 5

Spent some time on the beach yesterday, water back to clear and beautiful after 5 days of rain and storms made a mess of the water clarity.  Extremely busy with families, even during the "off season" and in the middle of the week.  Forgot to take my phone for pictures sorry, will try again another time.  

Off to favorite Oyster restaurant today for lunch, then stopping off for fresh fish, Gulf Shrimp, and their fantastic smoked tuna spread at favorite seafood supplier (called not surprisingly "Shrimpers").   

Mmm...fresh tuna on the grill tonight...that after another happy hour on our "patio" spent watching our very popular bird feeder guests.  😉 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

When we lived in NYC we went to Montauk at least 5 times every summer.Since living here we have never gone .

5 hours ago, molly361 said:

Spent a lot of time in Montauk growing up.  My grandparents lived in Hmapton Bays

I've always wanted to go Montauk, especially in the off-season. Too far to drive for a day trip and my Fall & Spring weekends always seem to be full doing Fall and Spring things.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, derorim said:

I also am intrigued by the cow painting on the wall.

15 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

As were we when she got it. It was a gift from her DIL. We have joked about it going to the basement until they visit, but she said leave it hanging.

Sharon is a child of the 60s and grew up in a dairy farm, but none of her cows ever looked like this. 😉

13 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

@A&L_Ont Cow picture so whimsical.  

I also absolutely loved the "picture cows" 😁, showed it this morning to DH, who "reciprocated" with his version of "picture sheep" [under the "influence" of A. Warhol 😉]

ארבע כבשים 55 copy.jpg

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I've eaten at both. The Italian restaurant by the lighthouse was good, not great. I was a bit disappointed as I heard great things about it. I think the ambiance & views makes the food taste better than it really is.  But I've only ate there once I would give it another try. I usually give a place 3 or 4 chances before giving up on it.

West Deck is more casual but definitely more lively.

And hiking to the top of Old Barney lighthouse in LBI is definitely much more easier with it's nice, wide steps in a well-lit staircase....and handrails.

You are right Old Barney is a much easier walk.  I have not yet walked up California lighthouse in Aruba not sure I will after hearing no handrails.  Maybe when I was younger.

The last lighthouse we did was Gibbs Hill in Bermuda and that has decent steps with a handrail.

I have always loved visiting lighthouses whereever we visit.

• Like 4

There are more than 25 lighthouses on Long Island.The oldest dates back to 1792.

There are more than 25 lighthouses on Long Island.The oldest dates back to 1792.

Good morning, Lenny.

We live about a ten minute drive from the Horton Point Lighthouse in Southold,NY.

The lighthouse was commissioned by George Washington  in 1790. The light was first lit in 1857.

The Southold Historical Society had an educational program for grammar school children pre Covid. I was a docent in the program, working at the lighthouse and some of the preserved historical buildings in town.It was an enjoyable experience.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, island lady said:

Spent some time on the beach yesterday, water back to clear and beautiful after 5 days of rain and storms made a mess of the water clarity.  Extremely busy with families, even during the "off season" and in the middle of the week.  Forgot to take my phone for pictures sorry, will try again another time.  

Off to favorite Oyster restaurant today for lunch, then stopping off for fresh fish, Gulf Shrimp, and their fantastic smoked tuna spread at favorite seafood supplier (called not surprisingly "Shrimpers").   

Mmm...fresh tuna on the grill tonight...that after another happy hour on our "patio" spent watching our very popular bird feeder guests.  😉 

Sounds like a perfect day.  I love oysters raw but occassion poor boy is good too.  Now I'm craving tuna steaks.    Will have to pick up some at the local fish market.  

We woke up to some fog, still cloudy here but a little brighter than yesterday.   Not as windy as yesterday.  Forecast says we will see sun tomorrow.

After a couple days off from painting his arm/shoulder is feeling good.  Eric is now painting walls in master bedroom and I just did the hallways on 2nd floor.  

Tomorrow we will start the main floor.

We are back to work online this week which I dont mind working here if I can sit on the deck and enjoy the sound of the ocean.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

It has been raining all morning and is a cool 54°F and the rain has just stopped now at 14.30pm.

I did 5 hours of sales calls this morning and I have just had Prawn Linquine for lunch at home while watching Judge Judy on TV.

Graham.

When my wife comes home after work we watch three shows , news, jeopardy and judge Judy.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sounds like a perfect day.  I love oysters raw but occassion poor boy is good too.  Now I'm craving tuna steaks.    Will have to pick up some at the local fish market.  

We woke up to some fog, still cloudy here but a little brighter than yesterday.   Not as windy as yesterday.  Forecast says we will see sun tomorrow.

After a couple days off from painting his arm/shoulder is feeling good.  Eric is now painting walls in master bedroom and I just did the hallways on 2nd floor.  

Tomorrow we will start the main floor.

We are back to work online this week which I dont mind working here if I can sit on the deck and enjoy the sound of the ocean.

Sounds like a perfect day for you as well!  Except for the painting.  😉 😄  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

Graham.

I read that Petri Hawkins Byrd the bailiff, was miffed that after over 25 years with Judge Judy, he was not invited to join her on her new show, Judy Justice.

Your lunch sounds delicious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I read that Petri Hawkins Byrd the bailiff, was miffed that after over 25 years with Judge Judy, he was not invited to join her on her new show, Judy Justice.

Your lunch sounds delicious.

Thanks.

Yes I heard that too and was surprised he was not asked.

• Like 1

Good Morning from Charlotte Amalie St Thomas.  

We are planning to go to Coki Beach. Docked at Crown Bay. Getting cleared for 11 am arrival time.

I tried to like earlier posts but could not due to some wifi connection issues. Samantha is adorable! Noodles on mash? Hmmmm never tried that but will, perhaps. Lighthouse on Aruba looks so romantic. Andrew's TG dinner looks yummy 😋.  Good luck to Charlie for tomorrow's appointment 👍.  Mallory I hope you are keeping in mind what I said about blowing out those 90 candles. Focus on it and picture yourself....what will you be wearing? Will you have snow white hair like grandpa Lenny or will you be a dashing blonde or what? I wish you the best. Jim good luck with the new knee....you are going to outwalk Maryann now. Sorry if I forgot to mention anybody else who needed some extra hugs.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1