Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Since we're on the subject of Buc-ee's again, here's my Buc-ee's travel report.  There's a new Buc-ee's now open in Kentucky at exit 83 on I-75, just south of Richmond.  It seems even bigger than the other Buc-ee's that I've been to.  There's also a new Buc-ee's being built in Tennessee on I-40 east of Knoxville.  They must be doing very well as they seem to be doing a lot of expanding.

So of course, I had to look this up. The Buc-ee's being built in Tennessee will be the biggest  @ 74,000 sq ft when completed. That is, until the one in Luling in Texas is completed @ 75,000 sq feet.

https://cbsaustin.com/newsletter-daily/texas-to-regain-home-of-largest-buc-ees-in-the-united-states-store-food-gas-pumps-bathrooms-clean

And yes, they are expanding, going West. Colorado and Missouri are next.  *sigh* I guess I need to take more long road trips.

• Like 4

So a few days back I mentioned my night Christmas Day flight debacle with Southwest.  This afternoon, unsolicited, I received an email with an apology for the inconvenience and 25,000 Southwest points.  That's worth of $300 I'd imagine. For all the headaches not the day that is not bad customer service  after the fact.

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I didn't look back a few pages but figured this was all likely already discussed. Thanks for this info. Most recent update from only refers to still being in critical. 

He will be critical for awhile after being defibrillated. The other issue will be how long his brain was deprived of oxygen. It has only been one day. This will play out over days.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

55 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have never heard or seen one of these. 

I went on Mi Gardener website this weekend and was shocked when I saw just about all the types of seeds I want are shown as Sold Out.     When do you order your seeds for this years planting?

I have not ordered from Baker Creek before but this is where I found it.  I have been hearing a lot of good things about Baker Creek and my Kenzie's mom bought be a gift card for them.  Here is the place.  https://www.rareseeds.com/

I am not sure how it happened but last year our library had a large display of seeds they were giving away.  Most of the seeds were donated by Baker Creek. 

Here is a link to the Kohlrabi. 

https://www.rareseeds.com/early-purple-vienna-kohlrabi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Has anyone ever tried a vegetable called kohlrabi?  I am planning what I want to grow this year and it caught my attention.   Here is what it looks like.

D2-14.thumb.jpg.b9fc8c6421d097b65ac61a85a881e6c9.jpg

Kohlrabi is very popular at Farmers' Markets. I have no idea how it is prepared. The green variety always reminds of the aliens in "Toy Story". Another interesting and popular Farmers' Market item is Romanesco Broccoli, AKA Roman Cauliflower. I don't know exactly what you do with it either, but it looks cool. It also comes in purple. 😃It is a cross between the two.

Aliens in Toy Story.webp

brocolli-romanesco-com-wm_1944x.jpg

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Kholrabi is very popular at Farmers' Markets. I have no idea how it is prepared. The green variety always reminds of the aliens in "Toy Story". Another interesting and popular Farmers' Market item is Romanesco Broccoli, AKA Roman Cauliflower. I don't know exactly what you do with it either, but it looks cool. It also comes in purple. 😃

Aliens in Toy Story.webp

brocolli-romanesco-com-wm_1944x.jpg

I've seen pics of the Romanesco before.   Looks like something you would see snorkeling. 

image.png.ae7bb2c38b8fc9f9f02e8c16f80ce112.png

• Haha 10

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@Jimbo   I agree.    I saw your questions about Bermuda on Andrew's thread and didn't want to hijack it either.     We have done several land and cruise vacations in the last 25 years.   It is one of our favorite islands (was my Parents favorite too).    

Swizzle Inn is a fun place to stop for a drink, write your name or message on the wall (I always love to see the message my Dad wrote to us on the wall) and grab an appetizer or a sandwich.   

Hog Penny Pub right in Hamilton (blocks away from the Ferry) is always a great place to have some dark n stormy's and grab a fish sandwich or Bermuda fish chowder is one of Eric's favorites.    

Frog & Onion located at the dockyard is a fun bar and has some great food too.   We enjoy their Wahoo fish sandwiches.   

If you want some upscale dining for a romantic dinner, then the Waterlot Inn is a beautiful restaurant with excellent food.     

If you want to dine right on the water and watch the sunset - this place has great food, great location https://www.thehamiltonprincess.com/dining/     We have stayed at this hotel a couple of times and have always enjoyed.   

We find the best means of transportation to be the Ferry and their local bus system.    You can buy daily passes at a booth on the dock @ Royal navy dockyard.    Great way to meet the locals and see the island without paying a fortune for a taxi.  

If you do take a bus I highly recommend getting off at the Gibb's Hill Lighthouse and if able to walk up to the top you will have the best view of the island.    

We do not go to the touristy beaches - such as Elbow and Horseshoe Bay.    If this is your first time there then you may want to check out the pink sand at Horseshoe Bay.    

But if looking for a nice quiet peaceful day at the beach.    We have found that getting off the bus at stops near some of these other beaches and walking down paths to the beaches is so much nicer.   You end up with your own private beach most times.    Of course you won't have beach loungers or umbrellas when you go rogue so make sure you have some towels with you.   

When it gets closer to your cruise, let us know.     

I was saying to Eric last week that we need to book a Bermuda cruise this summer (maybe August) we are booked for end of March, June and September so far just not sure how much more time my boss will give me off.    Are you booked on Liberty or Vision?

We have been to Bermuda before, did go to one of the beaches and saw the pink fine sand. We also did Hartley's Underwater Seawalk  one year there too. Have been to Frog and Onion and Hamilton.........Never have used the bus or ferry service there so we never did make it down to the St. George end of the island.

We aren't sailing on Vision or Liberty. Sailing to Bermuda out of Florida on Mariner. We have never been on that ship. Have been on Vision once and Liberty 2 or 3 times.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@LucasLikesToCruiseI was thinking of you this weekend.  Here's hoping 2023 is a much better year for you. 🥰

I cannot believe it but i just went blank on your puppies name.   Hope he is doing well too!

Are you ready to book yourself a nice relaxing cruise to help heal your soul?

Oliver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We have been to Bermuda before, did go to one of the beaches and saw the pink fine sand. We also did Hartley's Underwater Seawalk  one year there too. Have been to Frog and Onion and Hamilton.........Never have used the bus or ferry service there so we never did make it down to the St. George end of the island.

We aren't sailing on Vision or Liberty. Sailing to Bermuda out of Florida on Mariner. We have never been on that ship. Have been on Vision once and Liberty 2 or 3 times.

Ferry does go to St George.  I think it is about a 45 min ferry ride from royal navy dockyard.

St George is a nice area to wander around for an afternoon but not a lot to do and see from what I remember.  There are some nice shops to explore.  We have a nice painting from a gallery in this area.   

Tobacco bay Beach is nearby and nice little place there to grab a cocktail and snack on the beach.  

We usually take ferry there then take bus back to Hamilton since the ferry times are very limited for st george.    Then ferry back to the ship or the bus depending on our timing.

Buses and ferry usually do not run at nighttime.  

• Like 2

We just received a recorded call from the sewer utility. They are asking us to limit water use on Wed./Thurs. because of the expected storms, showers, laundry, sinks, toilets. They expect the system to be overwhelmed with water. First, we have to conserve water because of the drought, and now we have to conserve water because of too much water. California is weird. 🤔

And all the weather people are in a tizzy! Sandbagging videos and locations everywhere. They can't quite decide if it is a bomb cyclone from the north, pineapple express, and atmospheric river in there too. 🙄 Which just means it will be a series of storms in the jet stream. We're fine. We are in the hills. Localized mudslides are sometimes a problem, but flooding is generally not. It is funny how all of the headlines can cause tension, when there really shouldn't be any, just preparedness. 😟

It will just be a lot of rain and wind, not tornadoes and hurricanes. We even have a spare sump pump if this one fails. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Why would anyone want one that is smaller than XXL? 😉😁

I've just assumed the Buc-ee's was mostly Texas & Gulf Coast chain so it's nice to see them expand North, relatively speaking.  Maybe in a decade or so, they'll reach my neck of the roads.

The 1st Bucees in SC opened in 2022 just off 95 in Florence.  We keep talking about a say trip as we don't go that way often but haven't done it yet.  We did stop at the one in Daytona last spring, definitely worth a stop.

• Like 4

We just received a recorded call from the sewer utility. They are asking us to limit water use on Wed./Thurs. because of the expected storms, showers, laundry, sinks, toilets. They expect the system to be overwhelmed with water. First, we have to conserve water because of the drought, and now we have to conserve water because of too much water. California is weird. 🤔

And all the weather people are in a tizzy! Sandbagging videos and locations everywhere. They can't quite decide if it is a bomb cyclone from the north, pineapple express, and atmospheric river in there too. 🙄 We're fine. We are in the hills. Localized mudslides are sometimes a problem, but flooding is generally not. It is funny how all of the headlines can cause tension, when there really shouldn't be any, just preparedness. 😟

It will just be a lot of rain and wind, not tornadoes and hurricanes. We even have a spare sump pump if this one fails. 

Oh no, that's not good.  Is Jim Cantore anywhere near you?  I hope Not

Good luck and stay safe 😍

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

Oh no, that's not good.  Is Jim Cantore anywhere near you?  I hope Not

Good luck and stay safe 😍

LOL. Thanks! That is funny. I'm surprised he is not, but the local weather people are just going wild. LIVE coverage of STORM will start at whatever time....🙄 We will be bringing you continuing coverage! 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

He will be critical for awhile after being defibrillated. The other issue will be how long his brain was deprived of oxygen. It has only been one day. This will play out over days.

I talked with my brother tonight who is a sport medicine doctor in Montana and who has been a team doc for a university football team and he said the same thing. I hope he will recover.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

And all the weather people are in a tizzy! Sandbagging videos and locations everywhere. They can't quite decide if it is a bomb cyclone from the north, pineapple express, and atmospheric river in there too. 🙄 Which just means it will be a series of storms in the jet stream. We're fine. We are in the hills. Localized mudslides are sometimes a problem, but flooding is generally not. It is funny how all of the headlines can cause tension, when there really shouldn't be any, just preparedness. 😟

Ain’t California great!!😹😹

Spoken by someone who was born and raised here. 🙀

Edited by taznremmy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Lionesss said:

@brillohead

In my 47 years practicing one way or another in the medical field (Rn, CRNA) I never knew about this athletic induced syndrome; that can happen to others not just athletes. 

When I first saw what was happening I first thought ruptured aorta or EMD from bilateral pneumo’s. 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

Continued prayers for recovery. 

I was a hockey mom before I was a nurse, and the DJ at my second wedding had actually survived this back in the 80s due to a hockey puck.  

When I heard that they were doing CPR on him in the field, this was the first thing that popped in my head.  It's just one of those "one in a million" timing things, so while it's not exactly common, it's not exactly rare, either.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

I wish I had known you were going to be in my neighborhood.  We live not far from where she is.  We could have met with you, your husband and your daughter to welcome you all to the area as fellow CC members on Dani's thread.  I guess I missed a lot of information from this thread since I'm always so behind, I just skip pages.  Is she here for an internship at Stanford or a temporary job?  Sounds like she's found a good place to live for now.  There's a lot good eating places around there.  Sorry for the cold and rainy weather.  Wish it was warm and sunny for her.  Please let me know if there's any questions or help that you or daughter may have with her stay here.  I hope we can be of help to you/her.

Thank you so much!  She is a travel nurse. The weather was miserable when I was there but she has lived in Chicago for the last 5 years so she is used to extremes. I will definitely reach out if she has any questions. Thanks again!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ownedbypets said:

Thank you so much!  She is a travel nurse. The weather was miserable when I was there but she has lived in Chicago for the last 5 years so she is used to extremes. I will definitely reach out if she has any questions. Thanks again!

Yes. I volunteered Helen, @FromSea2ShiningSea when you first posted, asking about her accommodations. But I think she missed it. They definitely do know more about that side of the bay. ☺️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes. I volunteered Helen, @FromSea2ShiningSea when you first posted, asking about her accommodations. But I think she missed it. They definitely do know more about that side of the bay. ☺️

I am so sorry I missed your post, Patti.  I turned my notification off a long time ago so that's why I can't see who tags me.  The pages on this thread multiplies so fast it's hard to keep up after being away sometimes.  I cheat by trying to skim through or skip pages just to catch up.  Lol. 

I'm glad @ownedbypets's daughter was able to find a nice place and all settled in now.  I hope she makes new friends and enjoys her time here in the Bay Area.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1