Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

You’ve probably seen pictures of the storm surge that caused major flood damage to Capitola, a quaint, little costal town in Santa Cruz County.  It destroyed the wharf, businesses and homes like hit by a tsunami.  This is what it looked like when we were there in 2021.  

I saw some of those pictures of Capitola, and one report I saw said the beach was washed away. Sad to see the damage there. 

We visited there a few years ago on a weekend trip with my son and his family, that also included a stop at the Mystery Spot.

• Like 4

January 11, 1664.  The invention of the party, the first of which, according to the journal of Sir Thomas Browne of Norwich, occurred at the celebration of the birthday of Mr. Henry Howard, 7th Duke of Norfolk, at Norwich on January 11, 1664, when they kept up the dance until two o’clock in the morning.

And why is this important?  This was just part of the write up for a party invitation by my friend Dennis, to celebrate and recreate the invention of the party he hosted on January 11, 1980.  Was it really the first time “the party” was invented?  Who knows, but it sounded like a good reason for a January party back in 1980.  In fact, back then, we could come up with many reasons to have a party.   Why do I remember?  Well, it is an anniversary of sorts.

It was at this party, 42 years ago today, that I met my wife Susan, on a blind date.  Six months and 22 days later we were married. However, that party started at 9 pm.  We just remarked that if we were going to that party today, it would be starting past our bedtime.  🤣🤣 We have had some laughs already today, remembering that party. 

• Like 18

10 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Hi Dani,

Thanks for the concern. 

Yeah, various parts of California has been battered by one storm after another the past couple of weeks.

We lost power to our house this morning.  You don't realize how much you rely on electricity until you don't have it.  Can't even make a regular cup of coffee without electricity.  Part of our garage got flooded but not nearly as bad as some as seen on TV.

My husband made the best coffee when the power went out during Sally.  We have a gas stove so he just boiled the grounds in a pot with water and poured it through a coffee filter.  It was so good I almost wish the power would go out again.  Now we have a generator so even if the power goes out I won't get cooked coffee again.  

On a serious note, please stay safe.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Keksie said:

My husband made the best coffee when the power went out during Sally.  We have a gas stove so he just boiled the grounds in a pot with water and poured it through a coffee filter.  It was so good I almost wish the power would go out again.  Now we have a generator so even if the power goes out I won't get cooked coffee again.  

On a serious note, please stay safe.

One time at a local Starbuck's I didn't care for the coffee they had brewing.  The barista asked me what coffee I prefer and when I told her, she said she would make me a pour over.  I had no idea what she meant but it was one of the best tasting coffees I've ever had and it was free!  

• Like 6

A while back I posted a picture of Andy in our driveway with the big B-24 RC plane he built.  He hadn't flown it yet, and I promised to post a video when he did.  I'm a little late in doing that, but I guess better late than never.  In June he and a very experienced RC pilot took it up for its maiden flight, and flew it four times.  Andy was understandably nervous about it, and so was I.  He built the plane over a span of 12 years, and it was finally ready.  It was an exciting day, and the plane flew beautifully.  Here are a few videos.

When he starts the props, I sometimes look away.  It scares me.

Andy asked his friend to fly it first.  It was a beautiful sight to see it in the air.

Taking off is optional; landing is mandatory.

Andy's flown it several times since, but a problem with the retractable landing gear recently resulted in some damage to the wing.  No problem, Andy is building a new wing, better than before.  This time, he's designing it on the computer and cutting parts out with his CNC router.  

image.thumb.jpeg.bfa58c5d9be943b184146bc7f7f9600a.jpeg

Now you know what he does all day. His skill, patience and perseverance amaze me.

image.thumb.jpeg.124e3e91e491701c0761fa7ca1a2b5e7.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, derorim said:

A while back I posted a picture of Andy in our driveway with the big B-24 RC plane he built.  He hadn't flown it yet, and I promised to post a video when he did.  I'm a little late in doing that, but I guess better late than never.  In June he and a very experienced RC pilot took it up for its maiden flight, and flew it four times.  Andy was understandably nervous about it, and so was I.  He built the plane over a span of 12 years, and it was finally ready.  It was an exciting day, and the plane flew beautifully.  Here are a few videos.

Andy asked his friend to fly it first.  It was a beautiful sight to see it in the air.

Andy's flown it several times since, but a problem with the retractable landing gear recently resulted in some damage to the wing.  No problem, Andy is building a new wing, better than before.  This time, he's designing it on the computer and cutting parts out with his CNC router.  

Now you know what he does all day. His skill, patience and perseverance amaze me.

Wow ! That is so cool. Thank you for posting.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, derorim said:

Thanks for sharing.  That is really cool.  Seeing the last pic reminds me of my high school days.  My neighbor was building a full size double winged airplane.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, derorim said:

Thanks for sharing, brings back many memories.  My dad built and flew similar planes, took him a long time to build one, we got to help a little along the way, then flew once or twice before repairs were needed.  Spent many days at the fields with my dad watching people fly their planes.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, akcruz said:

Thanks for sharing, brings back many memories.  My dad built and flew similar planes, took him a long time to build one, we got to help a little along the way, then flew once or twice before repairs were needed.  Spent many days at the fields with my dad watching people fly their planes.  

You summed it up pretty well.  I’m glad you have those nice memories of your dad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, derorim said:

There are boys and their toys and then there are men with their TOYS!

I love to see guys have a hobby they get joy from. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I saw some of those pictures of Capitola, and one report I saw said the beach was washed away. Sad to see the damage there. 

We visited there a few years ago on a weekend trip with my son and his family, that also included a stop at the Mystery Spot.

I visited there about 30 years ago, during a 4 or 5 day meandering drive down the Pacific Coast Highway from San Fran to LA.  Definitely a beautiful and picturesque area.  Glad to see the Mystery Spot is still there. I love those old road side attractions that seem to be slowly falling by the wayside in today's tech-driven world. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I went to bed last night when pg. 3352 was the most current on this thread.  It's now after 7am and the thread is still on page 3352.  No catching up for the first time since this thread was created.

Californians, stay safe and dry!

Either everyone was busy watching the Golden Globes or getting ready for Bella Cruise.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, derorim said:

That is VERY impressive!  I would have loved to be there just to watch.  I'm thinking through all of the engineering challenges...making the wing the right shape for lift, weight balance, suspension on the landing gear, coordinating multiple engines for even thrust, adjusting all of the control surfaces, etc., etc.  Not to mention making it look realistic.  It's no wonder it took him so long.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Either everyone was busy watching the Golden Globes or getting ready for Bella Cruise.

I didn't even know that the Golden Globes happened...until someone tweeted about the great acceptance speech by Jennifer Coolidge, aka Stifler's Mom.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

You don't realize how much you rely on electricity until you don't have it.

Agree, it is so frustrating. We have often loss of power, not necessarily weather-related. Sometimes is just poor planning of cutting trees...

Years ago, when I was typing MA or PhD theses for a living, I refused to agree to a tight timetable of delivery. If I knew that it will take me 3 days, I said 5-6 days.

I never had to say to a student: "I lost power, so my computer is useless and the work is not done".... It meant also that many took their business to another typist, and I lost the customer and the potential customers whom he was supposed to recommend...

Also, one of the reasons we have a gas stove-top, and a gas option to heat the house when the daily AC doesn't have electricity....

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

That is VERY impressive!  I would have loved to be there just to watch.  I'm thinking through all of the engineering challenges...making the wing the right shape for lift, weight balance, suspension on the landing gear, coordinating multiple engines for even thrust, adjusting all of the control surfaces, etc., etc.  Not to mention making it look realistic.  It's no wonder it took him so long.  

You have a good understanding of what all went into building this plane.  I'm sure the two of you could talk together for hours!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Californians, stay safe and dry!

+1  Ditto

7 hours ago, derorim said:

Awesome, Andy!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, akcruz said:

What great memories for you of you and your Dad🥰

• Like 1

Good evening it is 23.09pm.

We have been at 2 hospitals today with our Sarah for over 11 hours.

Her diagnosis is a slipped disc in her spine pressing on a nerve with fluid leaking.

She had an x-ray at one hospital and the doctor sent us to the regional Major hospital where she had a CT scan and MRI scan.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18