Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

A news reporter I am not but wanted to let you know what is still going on in our neck of the woods.

Namely: The train derailment an estimated 30 miles south of where we live in a town of East Palestine, on the Ohio-Pennsylvania border.

The company contracted out to have a controlled burn of the toxic chemicals in 5 box cars 2 days ago, and "they" said it worked. It burned for hours.

That evening our county went under a safety advisory for respiratory concern, because the winds changed in our direction.

So we got out our N95 masks and the DH was going to wear it to work the next morning, because the hospital is roughly 18 miles from the disaster.

Yesterday morning the EPA said there were no harmful gases in our air, and safety alert was cancelled.

Then last night the box cars re-ignited and flames were seen again.

Now what concerns us is that so few agency s have come up to the plate to offer help.

Of course the Usual Red Cross has opened up the high school gym to provide a safe haven. Food and bunks.

One local thrift shop has opened up and is giving away clothes to those who evacuated with bare essentials.

Another store is giving away personal hygiene items.

And a few large farms have offered a safe haven for farm animals.

Also, the local animal welfare league will take in your pets and provide shelter.

Still looking for a place for reptiles.

But in the meantime a lady lost her whole pen of chickens and she does not reside in the zone.

And a close by pond has dead fish.

We have yet to hear of any  reliable organizations that would collect monetary contributions for those affected in the evacuation zone.

The railroad company told the victims to save their receipts and they will be reimbursed.

One lady stated I do not save my receipts for milk and bread and perishable items........so....you got it no receipt, no money.

Now my husband says I read to much.

And I do.

The only thing I remember is years ago 60 minutes did a story of nuclear waste that was being transported out west to an underground bunker to be stored forever, because its half lives go on forever. These waste products travel during night when their is less traffic on any roads, that intersect with railway crossings.

So this has me thinking.

Is this derailment have more then toxic chemicals.  I hope not.

The news conference says every home will  be evaluated for chemical hazards before residents can move back in.  I am wondering, if they are checking for more than chemicals.

My father told me about the disaster that occurred in the late 70's,  "Love Canal'

Driving to Niagara Falls we saw the old streets from the freeway.  Abandoned and a no trespassing area.

I hope our disaster is not another event such as that.

So, I can only hope for a quick safe resolution for all those affected, so their lives can get back to normal.

Be safe

You never know what can happen.

Mama Lions

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

And HAL.  We did several cruises with my parents out of NYC on Hal.   

Didn't care for the drive there, much easier drive to Bayonne for us.

It is much easier for us to get to Bayonne even though Manhattan is much closer.Whenever we cruised out of Manhattan we either had a family member drive us or took a Car Service with the exception of our first cruise  in 1973.We took the subway.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think that which side of the Hudson River one lives on can have a big influence on opinions as trying to get across it can at times be challenging to say the least. 

Of course, showing up in NYC with a car is often no walk in the park either. 

My daughter and her husband who live on the West Side of Manhattan walk to the Manhattan cruise pier.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

That evening our county went under a safety advisory for respiratory concern, because the winds changed in our direction.

Our area was under that advisory.  The schools would not let any of the kids out for recess, because the winds were supposedly blowing our way.  They were advising wearing masks outdoors.  

I am surprised your DH hospital doesn’t require masks.  Ours say they will require them indefinitely.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I was going through all my pictures last night and found this one I forgot to post, taken from our stop at Great Stirrup Cay.  This is Oasis and Enchantment at CocoCay.  I love how it shows the size difference. 36140DFA-E199-4A62-9A3E-AB1BF8BBC439.thumb.jpeg.385df0ba1d234b1f6aacf2f9a878b1e9.jpeg

Awesome picture, Deb!  When we were in Coco Cay last week, I was wondering if the small Island I saw was Great Stirrup Cay.  Thank you for confirming this for me.  Amazing difference in the ships!!!

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

A news reporter I am not but wanted to let you know what is still going on in our neck of the woods.

Namely: The train derailment an estimated 30 miles south of where we live in a town of East Palestine, on the Ohio-Pennsylvania border.

Yesterday morning the EPA said there were no harmful gases in our air, and safety alert was cancelled.

Then last night the box cars re-ignited and flames were seen again.

But in the meantime a lady lost her whole pen of chickens and she does not reside in the zone.

And a close by pond has dead fish.

The news conference says every home will  be evaluated for chemical hazards before residents can move back in.  I am wondering, if they are checking for more than chemicals.

My father told me about the disaster that occurred in the late 70's,  "Love Canal'

Driving to Niagara Falls we saw the old streets from the freeway.  Abandoned and a no trespassing area.

I hope our disaster is not another event such as that.

So, I can only hope for a quick safe resolution for all those affected, so their lives can get back to normal.

This is another frightening disaster with regard to hazardous chemicals.  How do they even come up with a safe resolution??  This is awful, awful, awful.😔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm scared. 4th mild earthquake in the last 2 days. And as I was writing, another one... 

Missiles? Rockets? I've "dealt" with them before... kind of "known material"....

As our apartment is at the 5th floor, I'm very afraid of being trapped. Long time fear of finding myself in a constructed and narrow place, without being able to move. And we experience very cold days and nights, the coldest from the beginning of the winter.

DH has decided to hang a weight from the lamp, so that we'll KNOW for sure if it's indeed an earthquake... Reassuring? Not so much....

image.thumb.jpeg.c6c02dbdc58046b9c8665ed22e7d57eb.jpeg

Edited by dani negreanu
another earthquake
  • Like 33

13 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I'm scared. 4th mild earthquake in the last 2 days. And as I was writing, another one... 

Missiles? Rockets? I've "dealt" with them before... kind of "known material"....

As our apartment is at the 5th floor, I'm very afraid of being trapped. Long time fear of finding myself in a constructed and narrow place, without being able to move. And we experience very cold days and nights, the coldest from the beginning of the winter.

DH has decided to hang a weight from the lamp, so that we'll KNOW for sure if it's indeed an earthquake... Reassuring? Not so much....

That must be so frightening and worrisome.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  🙏

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Quite the nice Southern New England February afternoon. 

20230208_130343.thumb.jpg.98f7d369050f9b5b6ab8e0f07dc724ca.jpg

20230208_130454.thumb.jpg.26fff5820d011ce21caed0c9d2ff675b.jpg

20230208_130214.thumb.jpg.18921f420eb55db46705b7c7efb7a12d.jpg

5 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Hard to believe it’s February.  And 45 years ago at this time we were still trying to dig out from the Blizzard of ‘78. 

The temp is only 45 but the sun is so strong, it feels like 60. A beautiful spring day in early February.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I live on adventure sports, it is what I am.  I waterski, I wake surf, I ride the FlowRider, I ride side by sides, I snow ski, I play golf, heck I only quit playing softball a few years ago

No offense but I had to chuckle at the words "adventure sports" and "golf" being in the same sentence. 😁

I shouldn't crack jokes though as I do none of the things you do. I used to snow ski and was contemplating a return to the slopes this year but with the warm weather and little precipitation, skiing on the east coast sucks.....even more than it usually does!

• Haha 8

32 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I am so sorry that you are feeling some tremors, I cannot imagine how scary that would be,  take care.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I am sorry you are going through this, Dani.  Sending prayers your way.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Case in point, Size does matter !!

One is a cruise ship and the other is a floating city/hotel/amusement park.

Icon will be even larger 😞

Royal Caribbean Ships by Size Largest to Smallest Infographic

We’re sailing on Wonder on the 26th and Mariner in September. 
I would think we’d be claustrophobic on Mariner, except that a million years ago we went from the Norway one week and a tiny ship, the Dolphin IV, maybe, the next. 
it was weird how quickly we adjusted to the difference. 

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Hopefully your tremors are releasing the pressure so you won’t be in danger of a bigger one. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Thinking of you, Dani, and hoping things will become calm soon.  Hugs to you and your loved ones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I was going through all my pictures last night and found this one I forgot to post, taken from our stop at Great Stirrup Cay.  This is Oasis and Enchantment at CocoCay.  I love how it shows the size difference. 36140DFA-E199-4A62-9A3E-AB1BF8BBC439.thumb.jpeg.385df0ba1d234b1f6aacf2f9a878b1e9.jpeg

Did it make you miss being at Coco Cay?

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Quite the nice Southern New England February afternoon. 

We use fence like that for drifting snow. I like it stopping sand better. 

It is a warm day here as well. It is about 37F here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

I don't know why you can't have some peace for even just a little while. 😞

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1