Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 minutes ago, derorim said:

That looks delicious.  I had to google "potato biscuit," never heard of that before.  

An "Island Lady" creation.  😉  I combined biscuit topping and mashed potato topping recipes...created my own mix.   It was super easy.

Basically had leftover mashed pots, and decided to get creative.  Tend to do that a lot.  Take a look at what leftovers I have and make a new creation.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, George C said:

We leave out water and food for a feral cat that occasionally visits , many times possums and or raccoons will finish the food the cat doesn’t eat . I have seen the cat , possums and raccoon in the yard at the same time they seem to all get along 😁

If only people could do the same...

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, George C said:

We leave out water and food for a feral cat that occasionally visits , many times possums and or raccoons will finish the food the cat doesn’t eat . I have seen the cat , possums and raccoon in the yard at the same time they seem to all get along 😁

We have a large racoon that likes to visit, we have named him Rocky.  Rocky climbed one of our downspouts, shimmied up the trim on the side of the roofline, leaving muddy footprints the whole way, walked the ridge vent, pulling up shingles and then made a hole in the roof, trying to get into the attic.  Rocky is no longer welcome in our yard!  We thought we had squirrels trying to get in until my roofer pointed out all the footprints.

• Like 4

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

We have a large racoon that likes to visit, we have named him Rocky.  Rocky climbed one of our downspouts, shimmied up the trim on the side of the roofline, leaving muddy footprints the whole way, walked the ridge vent, pulling up shingles and then made a hole in the roof, trying to get into the attic.  Rocky is no longer welcome in our yard!  We thought we had squirrels trying to get in until my roofer pointed out all the footprints.

Not a fan of Raccoons.  They are destructive, mean, and carry Rabies and other diseases.  We had a beautiful large Mango tree at our old house.  Raccoon would climb up take bites out of each one that was ripening, then climb out onto our roof...to leave his gross nasty deposits.  Would find him sleeping on our pool screen enclosure early in the morning sleeping off his full belly of sweet dinner as further insult.  😠 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Possums are not the cutest animals but be glad you have them. They help control the rodent population, eat ticks, are not aggressive to people (they play dead when feel threatened), and they do not harbor rabies because of their lower body temperature.

Funny story.  A couple years ago my cat, I thought was doing this.  Everyday for about 5 days her food and water bowl would be knocked over.  I kept giving her crap for making a mess and wondering why she was doing this.  

Then one night we were watching tv and my cat kept hollering and pacing back and forth at something under the sofa.  I looked and saw these eyes glowing at me.  No idea it was a possum at the time but we prepared ourselves.  I got a broom and Eric flipped up sofa while I tried to get it out the back door.  Didnt work it ran under love seat.  So Eric grabbed some old plywood and set up a funnel to the door.  Same thing he flipped sofa and I shuffled it thru the funnel out the door.  My cat then ran out the door and boy did she give him crap for being in her house and getting her in trouble for messy food area. 

It was summertime and I used to leave our slider open just enough for Splashes to come in and out during the day.  So I guess this old possum came and went as he pleased without us even knowing for those several days.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, island lady said:

We have Bobcats and Coyotes also...but don't see them in the winter season.  Too many "snowbirds" in residence at this time...and they all have little dogs that "mark" the yards when they walk them, not to mention a lot of yappy noise going on during the day.  

The dogs are part of it too. Several newer neighbors have large, loud barking dogs that seem to be out at all hours of the day and night. No doubt that helps drive away the coyotes.  I wish it would drive away the deer that leave their "calling cards" all over my yard. 😆

Being near a large, undeveloped area of woods, fields and lakes, I have all sorts of the typical little woodland creatures - raccoons, skunks, groundhogs possum, chipmunks, moles, etc. etc. Plenty of hawks and turkey vultures too.  Once a year or so, a lost bear will wander thru then find its way back.

• Like 4

Since we are on the topic of wildlife, this Canadian farmer "hand caught" a hungry lynx that had killed 2 chickens in his barn.  This was just two days ago.  

He relocated it along with the two killed birds as he said it was very thin.  The animal didn't even acknowledge him when he tried to scare it away, it just continued to stand over the dead chicken.  He just grabbed it by the scruff of it's neck.

The wild cat's face says it all... looks embarrassed. 

If you are interested here is a link to the news story.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-farmer-captures-lynx-chicken-coop-1.5923089

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Similar thing happened to my parents. They lived in a old Victorian style house and somehow a racoon found an opening and got in behind the walls. Lived there for some time. Like clockwork, it would wake up shorty after sundown and we could hear it climb up the wall on one side of the room, scratch it's way across the tin ceiling and down the wall on the other side of the room and out to the yard. It was entertaining the first few times but then realizing the potential damage that was happening (chewed wires, droppings, etc), they hired a trapper to relocate it. 

I was a kid at the time. I quickly learned to never approach a caged animal, even if you are bringing it water. I literally jumped out of my skin.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Last time I saw my high school friends was 3 months ago.... 2 lockdowns

and 2 doses of vaccines+2 weeks after, we finally got together this morning.

It was so much fun bringing each other up to date about how we spent "inside" those last months...

A nice brunch spread

image.png

Then my friend's DH got home and took our picture 🥰

PHOTO-2021-02-24-16-39-03.jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, jk04 said:

I call dibs on the Caprese Salad.  What is everyone else eating?? :classic_biggrin:

* On the right bell peppers (red and orange)

* On the left some cheese spread, and *avocado+eggs salad (she is leaving the pit in the middle, prevents it from going "black")

* Huge fresh strawberries

* Cherry tomato salad

*Some goat special cheese

* Humus and *eggplant spread

*Special bread with raisins (not for @A&L_Ont) and nuts, some beigels

* Hot, not in the pic -- a stew of sunny eggs + with tomato cooked, called "Shakshuka"

* Salmon filet (which she forgot to serve....)

* "Oznei Haman" (Hamantaschen - Purim cookies), a chocolate cake brought by one of us, and my famous chocolate cookies....

Espresso, various teas, fresh squeezed OJ.

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Not a fan of Raccoons.  They are destructive, mean, and carry Rabies and other diseases.  We had a beautiful large Mango tree at our old house.  Raccoon would climb up take bites out of each one that was ripening, then climb out onto our roof...to leave his gross nasty deposits.  Would find him sleeping on our pool screen enclosure early in the morning sleeping off his full belly of sweet dinner as further insult.  😠 

We also have a mango tree. I often see the mangos with just a few bites out of them. They are usually still hanging so I always thought it was the birds and the squirrels. We do have raccoons running along the seawall so it must be them also.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Last time I saw my high school friends was 3 months ago.... 2 lockdowns

and 2 doses of vaccines+2 weeks after, we finally got together this morning.

It was so much fun bringing each other up to date about how we spent "inside" those last months...

A nice brunch spread

image.png

Then my friend's DH got home and took our picture 🥰

PHOTO-2021-02-24-16-39-03.jpg

Nice you still live close enough you can all get together. I had a high school reunion almost 2 years ago and it was fun, but it's a at least 2 days drive each way to cleveland area from dallas. Still talk to my hs friends too. It's nice you see them in person. 

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

I am not particularl, just no nuts please, highly allergic!

Oh no. I have a long time friend who still talks about that xmas I tried to kill her. Neither of us knew she was allergic to fancy mixed nuts. Her throat swelled up and she got in the shower and tried to call me but I'd gone out and she got hold of someone's mother to take her to ER.

Does your throat swell up too? 

I'm allergic to coconut, but I just throw up. 

8 hours ago, island lady said:

They are cute.😊

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Oh no. I have a long time friend who still talks about that xmas I tried to kill her. Neither of us knew she was allergic to fancy mixed nuts. Her throat swelled up and she got in the shower and tried to call me but I'd gone out and she got hold of someone's mother to take her to ER.

Does your throat swell up too? 

I'm allergic to coconut, but I just throw up. 

I go into anaphylactic shock, not fun.  Just happened in May, spent 4 hours in ER in the middle of COVID.😳

• Like 1