Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Prayers to all families impacted by the collapse of Key Bridge in MD.

I cannot believe how quick it went down after a container ship hit a pillar.

Hope to hear of some rescues of survivors but those waters must be very chilly with an outside temp in the 30's at 1:30 am.  🙏🙏🙏

Will be interesting to see how this impacts cruises from Baltimore.   Pretty sure all ships pass under this bridge on their way out to sea.

Adding my prayers too.

• Like 3

The last time we cruised from Baltimore, it was Feb 2020, on the Grandeur, right before the shutdown. A really convenient and easy port to cruise out of when we were living in NJ. It was always an amazing to sail in and sail out.

I am praying for people to be rescued and those involved. 🙏
Also upset to hear about the concert in Russia. May they rest in peace 🙏

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

I was watching the news right now and you can see that the ships anchor is down, so they tried to slow the ship. It makes me think it was a mechanical issue, as they had time to try and slow the vessel. Sadly if it worked it didn’t change the outcome. 

I saw on the news that the ship lost propulsion. You could see in the video how the ship started to kick to the port side kicking the aft starboard side into the bridge.

22 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I saw on the news that the ship lost propulsion. You could see in the video how the ship started to kick to the port side kicking the aft starboard side into the bridge.

• Like 1

Reaching out to our poster Gram(?) (sorry I just cannot remember her screen name, but posts sometimes on Bella thread and "likes" and had mentioned where she is from, on some Royal Caribbean threads.) from White Marsh area near Baltimore.
Hope you and yours are OK.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

I don’t recall what your engineering background is, but you may find this interesting.  I know I mentioned earlier that the collapse reminded me of the ship impact related collapse of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge collapse in 1980.  I remember several papers being presented at the International Bridge Conference in the early, mid 80’s about that incident.

This link is to the NTSB investigation and report on that collapse.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/MAR8103.pdf

NTSB will be doing the same thing for this investigation.  It took them about 10 months to complete that report.  Unfortunately, the construction of the Key Bridge predates some of the recommendations to address ship impact possibilities.  

2 hours ago, mo&fran said:

There is some good youtube videos on a thread on the RCCL board.

I must've watched a couple of those video's a half-a-dozen times now.  Like others said, it's amazing how quickly it came down. If it was a movie, I'd be saying how unrealistic that is. 

Prayers for the 6 people still missing.

EDIT: One thing I did notice is the lack of traffic just prior to impact as compared to a few minutes earlier. At first I thought chance luck but just read the ship did issue a Mayday call which allowed authorities to stop traffic in time. It could have been so much worse.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 8

Living in the Twin Cities, this reminds me most of the I-35W bridge collapse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Mississippi_River_bridge

Collapsed August 1, 2007. They immediately got to work and I think by the next day they had everyone they needed in a room and made a plan using design-build project planning. Awarded a contract Sept 19, 2007, and the new bridge was completed 3 months ahead of schedule Sept 18, 2008.

There was a MNDOT manager that was a frequent contributor to a local political pod cast (had been doing so long before the collapse) that gave updates. But since then also gave in-depth accounts of the process in the immediate hours, and days that was really interesting. Unfortunately, with the podcast defunct, I don't think those recordings exist anymore.

Obviously, this is a lot larger span with a lot more serious economic impacts, but the immediacy of getting the bridge replaced is very similar. 

• Like 1

So I am unable to enjoy the news (😔), due to the fact that the squirrel is climbing the fireplace to get into the window bird food feeder. 

Oh yea. Lizzy entertainment. 

IMG_0545.thumb.jpeg.1a1ff766c234c721a15574db569dffc3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

@Keksie

I answered your hotel question.
I think Mark posted that info re the Holiday Inn on this thread (?)

I saw that.  Thank you for the information and I will look at that hotel.

• Like 1

We did our focus group today on Symphony.  We had to sign an NDA, so I can’t really tell you what we discussed.  (I want my $150!)  I think I can say it was regarding a specialty dining idea for a future ship.  I have seen mention of it in various articles, so I don’t think it’s a big secret.  There were 12 of us and he mentioned he had other groups.  This is the first time I have ever heard of them.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

The bridge collapse is so tragic.  Unreal how fast that entire bridge went down after the pillar was taken out.  Thank God for the Mayday call, I wonder how many lives were saved by that.  Still shocked by the whole thing.  Sad day for sure.

+ 1  😢