Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 4/24/2024 at 3:34 PM, DaniDanielle said:

Fifty three years ago, this happened!IMG_0023.thumb.jpeg.d484c01d36cc2e5f31d57c0b7d6f72c7.jpeg

Congrats.

On 4/25/2024 at 12:00 AM, aussielozzie18 said:

All I can say it is to clear the margins which is what you want to happen.  You should have  seen  the incision and the large number of stitches I got for a tiny red dot on the side of my face.  My colleagues were surprised I needed to take 2 weeks off work, so I sent them a photo of all the stitches…..Just an fyi - I religiously rubbed in the cream recommended by the surgeon  post op for quite so time.  It worked a treat.  All I can see now  is a area of my skin on the side of my face that is paler than the rest of my face.  No-one else would notice it

Do you remember the name of the cream?

• Thanks 2

DS hiked 5km solo today to the RCAF Canso plane crash site.  The plane crashed shortly after takeoff in 1945.  There is a crater shaped pond nearby from  where the rescuers detonated the bombs on board rather than attempt to carry them out.D6D1C687-A6EC-4CEB-BFA5-568EA3D007F8.thumb.jpeg.84bb18ebd64652481e91d63a208ce66a.jpeg

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 11

Good morning.

It is sunny but cool 39°C here in North East England.

Nothing planned for today as my knee and hip arthritis is painful.

The lawn people are coming out to put weed and feed/fertilizer on our back and front lawns today.

I hope everyone is safe and in good health and y'all have a good day.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am rooting for nobody .I am rooting for the two soldiers on Amazing Race.

I, too, haven't decided on who I want to win now. I was just so impressed with Hunter. I suspect that he is an awesome teacher and a great role model for the kids around him. And though his trust of other people was his down fall, I think that also speaks to his character. 

• Like 3

It is 5:40 am.  I have been up for two hours, read three newspapers, done the morning Sudoku puzzle and am on my 3rd cup of coffee.

IMG_6970.thumb.jpeg.33f30af085815003ce9462accebcf7cd.jpeg

No school today, so we are taking our grandkids out to breakfast and spending the day with them

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Yes.  BIG mistake not playing the idol.

It was a mistake but I can also understand why he tried to save it. 

I don't like Venus but I think I'd rather play with someone like her than with Maria. I guess you have to keep your head straight about why you are there. It is not to make life long friends.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NHProud said:

It has been discussed before at length however I can’t find it so any help here would be appreciated. I’m not looking for in depth replies just basic info of what to look for in buying a streaming TV. We are not into complicated technology and gaming . Just basic stuff.  We’ve been watching our 36” not smart TV but have to switch because that is what Direct TV is using . 

Thank you .

I am physically incapable of providing just basic info when it comes to tech so hopefullt this isn't too much info for you. 🙂 I like to use a website called CNET for info about several things tech related, including TVs.  Here is their most recent "buying guide".  It provides a good, not too deep, discussion about features and other considerations when buying a TV, and recommends a few models:

Your TV Buying Guide: Spring 2024 Edition - CNET

You probably can't go wrong if you buy a mid-level or better TV from Sony, Samsung, or LG.  We have all Samsung TVs so that the remotes and user interface are the same everywhere. They will all have about the same features and pretty similar picture quality.  You may hear people saying that one brand is better than another but in this price range, that's mostly brand loyalty talking.  There's not much difference. Here is a Best Buy feature comparison of 50 inch TVs from those brands that are about $500:

Compare - Best Buy

If you read the CNET buyer's guide, they'll tell you to ignore the tech specs.  If you want to save a little and don't need the absolute best picture quality, there are models from these suppliers that are less expensive, and there are brands like TCL and Hisense (both recommended by CNET but I've never owned one).  I picked 50 inch only because you mentioned currently having a 36 inch model.  A 50 inch set will initially look huge to you, but you will quickly get used to the size.  If you've got space and don't mind spending a little extra, I'd go even bigger.  55 inch has become a standard size and 65 inch would be even better for a living room.  Note that these numbers are the diagonal length of a TV from corner to corner.  When determining what will fit a specific space in your house, you'll need to get the width and height values online.

You most likely currently have cable TV and can continue using cable with any new TV.  If you want to cut the cable, there a few streaming services to which you can subscribe.  New TVs come with apps (may be called something different for a specific brand) that you can easily install.  They are very much like a computer...for example launch the Netflix app (by clicking on it with your TV remote), sign in to your separately purchased Netflix service (usually just needed the first time you launch the app), and you're good to go.  You use the TV remote to navigate around the Netflix screen to pick what you want to watch.  Same goes for YoutubeTV, Apple TV, Prime video, Disney, Paramount, etc, etc. You may have more difficulty picking which streaming services to buy than which TV to buy.  Or you may end up (like we did) buying several different services which are starting to add up to almost the same cost as cable. 😁 Almost any brand TV will have an app for the above mentioned services, but you should confirm that in the online specs before buying.

Happy to answer any additional questions. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

@firefly333

Jane, moving day is fast approaching? You must be very excited.
Hope eyes are doing well.
You must be getting ready for your cruise as well, if I remember.

Good luck with everything!

Lol worried and a lot of things, not sure excited lol. I wish I had the day and time for when they come to pack and the day the truck arrives to deliver. . Before I leave for san antonio then my cruise. Cant plan anything until I know when they deliver. Leaving notes to email me the packing date and time, do not call. I cant answer the phone when I'm cruising worries me. Bad time for a cruise. But its booked and paid for. The guy said it's possible he will have the schedule for me before I leave for my friends house next week.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is sunny but cool 39°C here in North East England.

Nothing planned for today as my knee and hip arthritis is painful.

The lawn people are coming out to put weed and feed/fertilizer on our back and front lawns today.

I hope everyone is safe and in good health and y'all have a good day.

I have had severe knee pain and was told i needed replacements, I started taking an over the counter drug Instaflex advanced and I now rarely have any pain , this was about a decade ago. I know Seadog tried it but it didn’t help him . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, George C said:

I have had severe knee pain and was told i needed replacements, I started taking an over the counter drug Instaflex advanced and I now rarely have any pain , this was about a decade ago. I know Seadog tried it but it didn’t help him . 

My heart medication prevents me taking anti inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen which is the main arthritis treatment.

• Like 4

@h20skibum Both you and your wife participate in a very worthwhile and necessary program.

Our parish church has a monthly food drive where food is collected after every Mass. Monetary donations are also collected. All proceeds of the drives are given to a local food pantry. Each parish in our area takes a weekend to provide donations to the pantry so there is an almost constant supply of goods and money provided.

Every Christmas, there is a gift drive in our church where presents are collected for children in need as well as gift cards for seniors to use at CVS and our local supermarkets and there are also  payments towards home heating oil deliveries for those who could truly benefit.

My husband and I participate in the drives  throughout the year.

It is a simple thing to do, but it benefits many who need some help.

We also live in an affluent area, but there are people who are stretched to the limit with their financial resources living here.

From a distance, our area looks like an upscale place to live. Scratch a little under the surface and there are people who are struggling.

Thankfully , there are programs and people who support the programs that make it a bit easier for our neighbors.

Take care

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 6

@grapau27 Graham-I understand your situation.

My DH has arthritis in his knees and back.

Playing college football and rugby led to this present state.

He also cannot take anti inflamatories due to compromised kidneys.

He manages as best he can-some days better than others.

Glad you got out to the beach. Seeing water is spirit uplifting.

Our outing today is taking my car for inspection and oil change.

It is a 20 minute drive from home, so we will take in the bright sunshine and flowering trees along the way.

Wishing you and all who post here a pleasant day!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

A selection of hand knit tops I have pulled for casual nights on our upcoming cruise.

Resized_20240426_082718.thumb.jpeg.659a521f8e5a1ac2ccac8c2990ac01d1.jpeg

@dani negreanuThe dark green is alpaca/silk.  The light green is linen.  The light pink is bamboo.  The multi color is merino/cashmere.

Edited by Keksie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

We decided to have an early lunch at the beach.

We took Pauline's car out for a change.

IMG_20240426_105644.jpg

IMG_20240426_121359.jpg

Sorry you are unable to take meds to ease your knee pain Graham.  That would be tough.

That is  a beautiful sea wall in your photo.  Is it a scroll design or octopus?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

@h20skibum Both you and your wife participate in a very worthwhile and necessary program.

Our parish church has a monthly food drive where food is collected after every Mass. Monetary donations are also collected. All proceeds of the drives are given to a local food pantry. Each parish in our area takes a weekend to provide donations to the pantry so there is an almost constant supply of goods and money provided.

Every Christmas, there is a gift drive in our church where presents are collected for children in need as well as gift cards for seniors to use at CVS and our local supermarkets and there are also  payments towards home heating oil deliveries for those who could truly benefit.

My husband and I participate in the drives  throughout the year.

It is a simple thing to do, but it benefits many who need some help.

We also live in an affluent area, but there are people who are stretched to the limit with their financial resources living here.

From a distance, our area looks like an upscale place to live. Scratch a little under the surface and there are people who are struggling.

Thankfully , there are programs and people who support the programs that make it a bit easier for our neighbors.

Take care

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

one of the newspapers I read this morning covered a fundraiser for a local food pantry, plus a food backpack program for one of the other school districts.  They had a large turnout.  

We also usually buy cases of snacks at Sam’s Club, and give them to our daughter to take to her classroom.  She gives them out to any of her students who don’t have snacks during the day. 

She was telling us that 40% of her class are on the list to take food home for the weekends. 

• Like 6