Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 8/17/2024 at 8:55 PM, grapau27 said:

Hi Sue.

In Tenerife Santa cruz port has a good selection of shops in the centre which is 1 long street.

We always take a tour to Puerto de la Cruz which is about 25 minutes away from the port.

In Las Palmas Gran Canaria there is a shopping centre next to the port gates.

There are some nice beaches too.

Thanks Graham, I'm not really a shopper, prefer museums, cathedrals, interesting buildings, parks and walking along the shore, plus a nice light lunch and beer 🍺 

But I do like a nice beach ⛱️ too so that sounds promising 

• Like 5

On 8/17/2024 at 8:56 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

If your cabin is aft and you walk to the end of the aft hallway there is a secret door to the 270 theater, library and computer room.    Great way to get the 270 cafe too.    

Looking forward to using the short cut.  I'll post pic of the balcony once on board. Think its between the small lifeboat snd a bigger one. So has some of the loading mechanism blocking our view 

Just happy to have a balcony to sit out on 

• Like 8

On 8/17/2024 at 9:24 PM, dani negreanu said:

The Canaries were one of our best cruises, with the brand new Anthem.

Tenerife -- we went to the zoo (I'm a big fan of penguins...) with a RC excursion, it was very convenient.

Las Palmas -- just wandered about the beach front and had a nice ice cream.

Lanzarote -- again, took a ship excursion to Timanfaya National Park (rocky landscape) and Madeira -- we had a private excursion, as well as Lisbon.

Thanks Dani. Your cruise must be soon. Looking forward to hearing about it 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, h20skibum said:

And just like that, our Summer of Fun has come to an end.  Up at 3:30 am to take our son and grandson to the airport for their flight home to California.  We will have our other two grandkids tomorrow, before they go back to school on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, we were all together for a final cookout and group hug.  

IMG_7296.thumb.jpeg.06cb53d6fc1baa76ce6d77ab21b4f311.jpeg

I am not sure if Ricky was a willing participant?

I love how your California g/son gets to keep in close contact with his cousins through your SoF's

Building great memories and strong family contacts 

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I, also, read how they glued and chained themselves to the bridge and gate.   How stupid to glue yourself!!!     

Glueing and chaining to street furniture, bollards etc is a popular choice in climate protests in the UK 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, HBE4 said:

All caught up, in both real life & CC life.  With several back-to-back trips including an 8 night cruise on Adventure, pre- and post- cruise vacations in Florida and a trip to the Adirondacks in upstate NY, it feels like I’ve barely been home for the past month.

So let me get right to it.  The cruise was amazing, it was exactly what I needed & this particular trip was the perfect way for me to jump back into cruising for the first time in 6 years. It was a very different experience. Quick background: 6 of my friends (3 couples – 2 from Florida, 1 from NY) booked this cruise over a year ago and have been urging me to join them. They finally wore me down and this May, I was able to snag one of the last few cabins. This was also organized as a “friends and family cruise” as the organizer extended the invite far beyond me. So it included the families of my 6 friends (many of which I knew) and the friends & co-workers of those families and so on.  Very Bella 2.0- like in that respect, a group cruise made of many groups, 77 people to be exact.  In short, I was not only able to reacquaint myself with old friends but met many new people and made a few new friendships along the way. There was a group of retired NY law enforcement officers that warmly & sincerely welcomed me into their fold and made me feel like I was one of their brotherhood. By the 8th day, I felt like I’ve know those guys and their wives for 20 years.  Another person I was reacquainted with was the aunt of one of my friends, 78 going on 38, and has a true zest for life. She lost her husband of 52 years just last year & this was her first trip without him. We instantly bonded and became each other’s grief support group.

I had a 10:30 check time & was one of the first on the ship. As soon as I stepped onto the ship, a flood of emotions hit me at once.  The first one was a sense of familiarity, stepping into the Royal Promenade and everything was just as it was (except for a misplaced Izumi). It didn’t seem like it’s been 6 years, maybe a year or two at the most.  Nostalgia was the next emotion followed quickly by a melancholy and mellow feeling.  That lasted for a few hours but then was replaced with excitement and anticipation once I met up with old friends and made new ones.  And that was the pattern of each day: starting on my own for a few hours & then meeting up with whomever for lunch, pool time, dinner & excursions, etc.  The perfect balance of cruising solo and with a group(s).  I never once turned my computer to watch Netflix or read any of the 3 books I purchased.  Regretfully, I never even opened the diary where I was going to record the day’s events.  But I will try to post a separate brief summary of the cruise itself.

*whew*, that was a lot of typing.

I'm really happy to read this.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I hadnt realized this was the class where pizza combined with the cafe though had it on another ship. 

All Voyager class ships (Voyager, Adventure, Explorer, Navigator, and Mariner) have the pizza in the Cafe Pronenade. Sorrento's was not "invented" until Freedom came on line along with her sisters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I, too, am surprised that there is no police intervention.

I was surprised too.

But I read in a news report that the police believed that there was no harm done and the protest was peaceful so they cannot intervene.

13 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I was surprised too.

But I read in a news report that the police believed that there was no harm done and the protest was peaceful so they cannot intervene.

They disrupted the operations of a port and a cruise ship. That doesn't sound like no harm to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

They disrupted the operations of a port and a cruise ship. That doesn't sound like no harm to me.

Agree 100%. But strangely they thought otherwise.

I am glad all is ok now for the Serenade cruisers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. 

Well not for everyone. 

Someone brought me her treat bowl and wanted M & M’s for breakfast. 

When it came back with cinnamon toast, pop tart and cheerios major meltdown. 

Drank her milk.  Guess we will need to have an early lunch. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Woo Hoo! On board the Serenade. 🎉🎉

Great news. I was a little worried. Time for a celebratory cocktail with John and Laura.

Cheers Pat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Great news. I was a little worried. Time for a celebratory cocktail with John and Laura.

Cheers Pat!

Haven’t seen J & L yet, but I’m sure they are off enjoying Amsterdam.  I have already seen quite a few people that I know and that remembered me.  Surprisingly, 3 were bartenders. 🙀😹

• Like 4
  • Haha 15

12 hours ago, HBE4 said:

All caught up, in both real life & CC life.  With several back-to-back trips including an 8 night cruise on Adventure, pre- and post- cruise vacations in Florida and a trip to the Adirondacks in upstate NY, it feels like I’ve barely been home for the past month.

So let me get right to it.  The cruise was amazing, it was exactly what I needed & this particular trip was the perfect way for me to jump back into cruising for the first time in 6 years. It was a very different experience. Quick background: 6 of my friends (3 couples – 2 from Florida, 1 from NY) booked this cruise over a year ago and have been urging me to join them. They finally wore me down and this May, I was able to snag one of the last few cabins. This was also organized as a “friends and family cruise” as the organizer extended the invite far beyond me. So it included the families of my 6 friends (many of which I knew) and the friends & co-workers of those families and so on.  Very Bella 2.0- like in that respect, a group cruise made of many groups, 77 people to be exact.  In short, I was not only able to reacquaint myself with old friends but met many new people and made a few new friendships along the way. There was a group of retired NY law enforcement officers that warmly & sincerely welcomed me into their fold and made me feel like I was one of their brotherhood. By the 8th day, I felt like I’ve know those guys and their wives for 20 years.  Another person I was reacquainted with was the aunt of one of my friends, 78 going on 38, and has a true zest for life. She lost her husband of 52 years just last year & this was her first trip without him. We instantly bonded and became each other’s grief support group.

I had a 10:30 check time & was one of the first on the ship. As soon as I stepped onto the ship, a flood of emotions hit me at once.  The first one was a sense of familiarity, stepping into the Royal Promenade and everything was just as it was (except for a misplaced Izumi). It didn’t seem like it’s been 6 years, maybe a year or two at the most.  Nostalgia was the next emotion followed quickly by a melancholy and mellow feeling.  That lasted for a few hours but then was replaced with excitement and anticipation once I met up with old friends and made new ones.  And that was the pattern of each day: starting on my own for a few hours & then meeting up with whomever for lunch, pool time, dinner & excursions, etc.  The perfect balance of cruising solo and with a group(s).  I never once turned my computer to watch Netflix or read any of the 3 books I purchased.  Regretfully, I never even opened the diary where I was going to record the day’s events.  But I will try to post a separate brief summary of the cruise itself.

*whew*, that was a lot of typing.

Beautiful!  So glad it was a great trip...  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Luckynana said:

@DaniDanielle  Happy Birthday wishes to your granddaughter today, Marietta!🎈 I hope she enjoyed her special day!

How is your granddaughter who was hospitalized?  I do hope she is much, much better.

Marietta, have you been following the Little League Baseball World Series since last week?  I'm so proud of our South Shore Little League team.  They've won the past two games since losing their first game in the double elimination.  They play again this Tuesday, I believe!    

Granddaughter is much improved, thanks.  Those little leaguers are awesome!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

All Voyager class ships (Voyager, Adventure, Explorer, Navigator, and Mariner) have the pizza in the Cafe Pronenade. Sorrento's was not "invented" until Freedom came on line along with her sisters.

Lol had I know her class yes would have known. Pizza isnt that good I care as I rarely eat it in royal. Sometimes I wind up just eating the topping off if I try it. Dont like their thick crust. Eastern was going to DR and another new port for me ..and ooh ooh look xmas is the next week. Bonaire.. ooh ooh .. Bermuda. Adventure just happened to go to new ports. I dont book for she ship. 

I do know I've sailed on both classes. Just not something I remember is the names of classes so sorrentos is separate, though I prefer more choices food wise. Oasis class i love all the choices. It just doesnt go to new ports. This will be my first xmas here and i took the chance and moved where i dont know anyone. Xmas goes to labadee and Nassau lol. Havent been to labadee in oh so long. I did the catamaran last time and sat in the shade not realizing the sun was reflecting off the water. Got so sunburned. Major sunburned. Booked it again. We will see if i go. Booked but could cancel. Enjoyed it last time but not the terrible sunburn. Cant travel inland from labadee stop, just along the coast in a boat. I moved here to see new ports where I didnt have to drive. Adventure here I come. So read his review with interest. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2