Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

We had a great day yesterday.  At a nearby Barbeque and Blues Festival, pretty much at random we were invited to sit with two guys who were competing in the Barbecue contest, and we got to sample all the stuff they cooked, but did not turn into the judges.  It was some fine stuff, let me tell you.  We topped off the day by going to see King Kong Versus Godzilla at our local movie theater which had just re-opened.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DWhit said:

We had a great day yesterday.  At a nearby Barbeque and Blues Festival, pretty much at random we were invited to sit with two guys who were competing in the Barbecue contest, and we got to sample all the stuff they cooked, but did not turn into the judges.  It was some fine stuff, let me tell you.  We topped off the day by going to see King Kong Versus Godzilla at our local movie theater which had just re-opened.  

I used to work with a guy who did competitive BBQ.  He said that his best stuff never won.  You can take BBQ in many different directions and the judges tend to like "middle of the road".  He thought his best stuff was always a little different, but not something that judges would award.  If he wanted to win, he'd aim for middle of the road.

19 hours ago, George C said:

Problem is you need a backwash line going to the sewer for a DE , my current  pool doesn’t have one.

17 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

When we were growing up my folks had an indoor pool and I always remember the backwash process. 

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I too prefer this design over DE and backflushing.   

What am I missing here ? ? ?

There was a sand filter when I first purchased my house and yes, you had to backwash the system. After that, I switched to DE and other than "Bumping" the handle every 5 - 7 days to clean the "fingers", I don't do anything else until the end of the season when I dismantle, clean and store the unit in the shed.

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Growing up in Manhattan, nobody would have thought of living in the area South of Houston, Soho. It was comprised of dirty warehouses.  Tribeca, too, was undesirable. My, have times changed.

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms!

I had a female friend who lived on Grand St.The husband of one of my wife’s cousins owned a store on Grand St.that has been there forever,Harris Levy.I would think you would be familiar with the store.

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

judges tend to like "middle of the road".

This is true. I was a BBQ judge for two straight years at Kansas City's famous "American Royal World Series of Barbeque. I had to take classes and be a member of the KCBS before I could judge. They were very strict in the criteria of judging and what could win. I remember judging some brisket that is supposed to be "Stretchy," but this fell apart . It was the best brisket I had ever tasted but I could not score it high because of the rules. I imagine this happens a lot in BBQ contests.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 11:37 AM, davekathy said:

I thought it was the wind blowing his hair or a cowlick. 😁 Are you back home?

No, we left the wine area on Friday for the coast.  Staying for the week here down the road from the lighthouse at Lighthouse Point near Point Arena.  Brrrrr...has been windy and cold, but great dramatic views along Coastal Highway One.  Going to try to get pictures, since it should warm up this week.  Coming back home on Saturday.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Here was in March too.

Happy Mother's Day to all kinds of mothers celebrating today 💐🌷

Hi Dani :

I know there are millions of people in Israel but by any chance have you ever known a couple named Nira and Yuval.Their son is Amit and daughter is Adi .They are cousins of people my wife and I know.

11 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

What am I missing here ? ? ?

There was a sand filter when I first purchased my house and yes, you had to backwash the system. After that, I switched to DE and other than "Bumping" the handle every 5 - 7 days to clean the "fingers", I don't do anything else until the end of the season when I dismantle, clean and store the unit in the shed.

My understanding, and I certainly could be wrong, is that dirt gets trapped in the DE.  As more dirt gets trapped, the DE becomes less effective at catching more dirt.  The backflush process flushes the dirt out of the DE and into a drain.  It's been many years since I've used a DE filter but I remember backflushing every 1-2 weeks.  Maybe there's less need for back flushing now?

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

This is true. I was a BBQ judge for two straight years at Kansas City's famous "American Royal World Series of Barbeque. I had to take classes and be a member of the KCBS before I could judge. They were very strict in the criteria of judging and what could win. I remember judging some brisket that is supposed to be "Stretchy," but this fell apart . It was the best brisket I had ever tasted but I could not score it high because of the rules. I imagine this happens a lot in BBQ contests.

Exactly right. They told us , for example, the judges did not want ribs that fell of the bone, but wanted "bite through" ribs.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Just watched Mamma Mia on the CMT channel. I never get tired of it. I can't wait to get back on Allure.🙂

I have the Mamma Mia DVD, both the first and second one.  🙂  Indeed hope it is still on Allure when we board, but that won't be until later next year.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

No, we left the wine area on Friday for the coast.  Staying for the week here down the road from the lighthouse at Lighthouse Point near Point Arena.  Brrrrr...has been windy and cold, but great dramatic views along Coastal Highway One.  Going to try to get pictures, since it should warm up this week.  Coming back home on Saturday.  

Take your time. Sounds and looks like you two kids are having a great time. We've never been up to Point Arena. We've flown to San Francisco, picked up a rental car after spending a few days in San Francisco and drove the PCH from San Francisco down to San Diego. A lot of great stops along the way. Thanks for taking us along on your trip. 🍷

• Like 2

getting ready to go to brunch, here is the menu

CHOICE OF STARTER
Caesar Salad  Whole leaf hearts of romaine, roasted garlic Caesar dressing, whole anchovies, shaved parmesan
Table 13 House Salad – Our signature blend of field greens, red onions, baby heirloom tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, zesty herb vinaigrette
Seared Ahi Tuna  Pickled carrots, cucumber, and red onions tossed with sweet chili sauce and baby arugula
Lobster Bisque – Creamy and savory 

CHOICE OF MAIN COURSE
Filet Mignon – 6 oz filet, topped with maître d’butter, and served with garlic mashed potatoes with roasted beef gravy   9 oz add $10
Roasted Prime Ribeye – Served with scalloped potatoes and sautéed vegetables 
Pecan Crusted Salmon – Served with sautéed spinach and mushroom risotto
Shrimp Scampi  Grilled U10 shrimp, sautéed with garlic butter, parsley, tomatoes and spinach served over a bed of angel hair pasta
Steak and Eggs Benedict  English muffin halves topped with sliced tenderloin, two poached eggs and hollandaise sauce, served with pan fried potatoes and fresh fruit
Lobster and Eggs Benedict – English muffin halves topped with chunk lobster, two poached eggs and hollandaise sauce, served with pan fried potatoes and fresh, seasonal fruit

CHOICE OF DESSERT
Dark Chocolate Torte – Served with fresh berries and whipped cream
Lemon Cake – Zesty, light and dreamy 
Crème Brûlée  Rich custard topped with caramelized sugar and fresh berries

did same brunch on Easter , lobster eggs benedict was great, this place also has live music

• Like 8

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Hi Dani :

I know there are millions of people in Israel but by any chance have you ever known a couple named Nira and Yuval. Their son is Amit and daughter is Adi .They are cousins of people my wife and I know.

Sorry, Lenny 😢.

The only Amit I know is my youngest grandson.

1 hour ago, George C said:

getting ready to go to brunch, here is the menu

CHOICE OF STARTER
Lobster Bisque – Creamy and savory 

CHOICE OF MAIN COURSE
Lobster and Eggs Benedict – English muffin halves topped with chunk lobster, two poached eggs and hollandaise sauce, served with pan fried potatoes and fresh, seasonal fruit

CHOICE OF DESSERT
Dark Chocolate Torte – Served with fresh berries and whipped cream

Yes, please 😉

• Like 2

Ventured north of the Lighthouse up Coastal Hwy 1 to find a state park that was all sand dunes and wild ocean (and very chilly right now).   Had no idea there were so many sand dunes along the area.   And yeah, Bucky in his usual flip flops.

Surprised at all the wild flowers growing so well in the sand and found this Buck happily munching on one of the sand dune trees. 

20210509_111846.jpg

20210509_111934.jpg

20210509_112042.jpg

20210509_114558.jpg

20210509_120028.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 12

It was a sunny 62°F today.

We went to church this morning and we both felt a little warm with our masks on.

Afterwards we went to the nearby McDonald's drive thru and took our food and drink to our local beach.

We actually sat there for about 6 hours looking out to sea with me posting on CC and Pauline emailing her best friend.

We have just been watching Jane McDonald on TV doing a Caribbean cruise on a Princess ship and now are watching a documentary on Gibraltar.

Stay safe everyone.

Graham.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Actually reminds me of your beautiful photos of the ocean shore line you post almost daily.  🙂 

Keep an eye out for grey whales just off shore. They are migrating north with their calves this time of year. Our neighbor saw one breaching right near the light house point just 2 weeks ago when they were up there. :classic_biggrin: She said it was a most awesome birthday present! :classic_smile:

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 3