What are the chances end of may cruises starting up?

seaman11

i am rebooking and thinking about end of may.  do you all think that is too soon or think that the cruise companies have made up their minds that this is the date may 10th that they will start back up no matter what? 

2 minutes ago, electro said:

MSC has cancelled all cruises through May 29th, I think other cruise lines will follow. I doubt anyone will be sailing before the end of May.

i guess the worst that can happen is they cancel me and i get another 125percent FCC. i wont rebook my flights . ill just wait till it gets closer and keep my fly credit. 

You have until May 1st right now with stay at home orders.

cheng75 has said it will take  4-6 weeks to prepare cruise ships for sailing. That's mid June.

Crews have been sent home which will take time to fully staff the ship. Who knows when they will let foreign people travel to states. 

Pretty good guess May is a no go.

3 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

You have until May 1st right now with stay at home orders.

cheng75 has said it will take  4-6 weeks to prepare cruise ships for sailing. That's mid June.

Crews have been sent home which will take time to fully staff the ship. Who knows when they will let foreign people travel to states. 

Pretty good guess May is a no go.

i guess ,why would they offer may cruises now then?  also why cant they prepare in april for cruises in may if they need that long(which i doubt they will need 6 weeks to start up again.) 

1 minute ago, seaman11 said:

i guess ,why would they offer may cruises now then?  also why cant they prepare in april for cruises in may if they need that long(which i doubt they will need 6 weeks to start up again.) 

They are doing 1 month at a time for cancellation. If people want to give money to NCL now for cruises with a month or two they aren't going to turn it down.

If May is cancelled they (NCL) will take 90 days to credit you or give you FCC. They are playing with your dollars.

The 4-6 week thing has been mentioned by Cheng75 , who is well versed with the cruiselines and shipping industry. He hasworked for both.

I think select May cruises have an outside shot. A lot is going to depend on the numbers, the models, etc. I do think warmer weather is going to help.

Then, you have operational logistics of getting crew, food, entertainment, onboard 

I think we will see a phase-in of operations over time whenever cruising does start up.

Occupancy on the May sailings looks to be at very, very low levels.

May?  No way

The cruising industry will be the last thing to go back to "normal."  Even if we are over the hump and cases going down, all it would take is for one ship to have an outbreak with more quarantines, etc. and it would set cruising back to the stone ages.

Until there is a vaccine or this rapidly disappears, I don't see cruising to start again until new cases are almost down to 0 or if there is a rapid test that cruise lines can administer to passengers at the port.  This would reassure everyone of a safe cruise that wont be stuck under quarantine.

Not flaming anyone but does anyone see what is happening in Florida?  The cruise capital of the world where new cases go drastically up every day.  It got so bad that the reluctant governor even was convinced to have a statewide "stay at home order."  You are living in a fantasy world to think cruising would ever being in May or even June.

OMG  We still have cruise ships stuck at sea with dead bodies and infected crew in port and people are asking if cruising will begin next month?  For real?🙈

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

@david_sobe I think it's difficult for people who are not in a hot spot to understand what is actually happening in a hot spot.  You guys are particularly hard hit with all the port traffic and the fact that your governor was slow to issue the order to stay home didn't help matters.  Georgia is now under a stay at home order state-wide (also slow to come) but that didn't come about until our governor woke up and realized that our spring breakers still planned to head to Florida for vacation of all things!  Some people just don't seem to get it until it becomes an issue in their own back yards.  Admittedly, I didn't fully understand until Atlanta became a hot bed of its own.

Stay well down there!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

I doubt we'll even have a chance before the fall and maybe not until January  2021.  In Canada our numbers are spiking, badly, in some areas.  My specific area didn't have it's first confirmed case until March so we're behind as far as case expectations go.  

I'm hoping Covid-19 is eradicated by December but doubt it will be prior to that. Canada is now in a semi lockdown scenario.  Just trying to reduce the numbers; unfortunately, many people don't understand the importance of the "STAY HOME"  policy.  

All of my extended family is in the NY/NJ area so I am very aware of the dangers of this virus.

Right now I live in the middle of the country where people are just not taking it that seriously

since our numbers are probably in the single digits.

I fear a real outbreak here. It only takes one person to be infected. Churches and some restaurants

near me are open and I am not talking take out either. I am staying home.

Please people protect yourselves. This thing is not to be trifled with. A friend of my brother's who was

68 caught it and died almost immediately. Not wanting to scare people just help those not in a hot

spot realize the reality.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You'd have to be crazy to sail in May.  Or June.  Or July.  Or really, MAYBE until October or so, IF things improve.

You have to forget about when Cruise Line X or Y wants to start sailing and start thinking when any cognizant human thinks it makes sense, from a medical standpoint, to get on a ship.

We've got 11 booked and honestly, not sure we will be on any of them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

i am rebooking and thinking about end of may.  do you all think that is too soon or think that the cruise companies have made up their minds that this is the date may 10th that they will start back up no matter what? 

Lets ask the Magic 8ball, "shake, shake, shake" ------ answer is:  "dont count on it"

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 1

Truly, does any adult believe the Coast Guard or TSA would permit cruise ship sailings?

Many, many weeks after learning nothing from the Grand fiasco, HAL has been begging the world to accept Coral and Zaandam ... and presumably sometime tonite or tomorrow the corpses will be removed from Zaandam.

The corporate attorneys are Carnival must be doubled over and wrenching at the thought of the ensuing lawsuits, liability claims and Senate hearings.

And we think a company is going to try to send out MORE ships anytime in the foreseeable future? C'mon.

6 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Truly, does any adult believe the Coast Guard or TSA would permit cruise ship sailings?

I'm not aware that they've ever mandated they be stopped. The cruises have been voluntarily cancelled by the cruise lines, which is the right decision. I have no sailings planned and don't intend to sail for many months to come.

Edited by blcruising