What will it take for you to cruise in the 1st 4 months after NCL starts sailing again?

fstuff1

I expect when cruising starts up again the initial cruises will be limited to closed loop cruises, probably 7 days or less.  With the locations to be determine by where they can actually find some ports.  Doubt you will see cruises starting in one country and ending in another for a while after they get anything started.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I was never confirmed however two of my doctors are almost positive I had it. I did test Negative for the "Flu" this was early February before testing was done.

I had been in contact with two people who were in China the last two weeks of February. I saw them 3 days after they got back and I was sick along with them a few days later. One of them was tested positive by a local hospital very early on. Any way I had a fever of 101-103 for 6 days, I'm 57 and have never felt so bad, loss of smell and taste for 6-7 days which was very strange. A few days after I started feeling sick I learned 8 others at my company had the same thing, two people in their 40's were in the hospital for 3-4 days. It was a good 4 weeks before I felt back to normal, it was almost like I had mono.

I had a sore throat this morning and I was so worried. So glad you finally recovered. I am in agreement, you probably did have the virus.  The symptoms match what they are now finding as typical. 

We in Australia are heading into our winter which has the authorities worried.  So everyone is encouraged to have a flu shot. If you are over 65 it is free and I just found out it is triple dose plus I had a pnemonia strain. They really dont want people presenting with flu if they can manage it in the hospitals and also are concerned bout those who are concurrently suffering flu and the virus. I think that was the source of my sore throat and fatigue, as I had the shot only 3 days ago. 

16 hours ago, david_sobe said:

If cruises start again without a vaccine or this being snuffed out, there are not enough resources left to assist quarantined passengers stranded on ships.  The last dead, infected, and stranded passengers were just rescued yesterday.  If cruising started before this is snuffed out it would only take a short time for another outbreak which would be a death nail to the cruising industry.

I was following the HAL ships issues over in the HAL forum. 

It was interesting how adamant and up front the local authorities were that HAL(Carnival) was to pay all costs.  It'd be like EMS showing up at house fire and getting agreement that the homeowner was to pay all costs before they even got out of their trucks.    Add in the the outcry when at first there was discussion of including cruise lines in the bailout and fact that they were not, I think the cruise lines got the message that they are "on their own" with these things.

So not only do I doubt I'll get on until this is snuffed out, I suspect the cruise lines are concerned about starting up again before this is snuffed out.  I'm not saying they won't startup before it's gone, just saying it won't be a quick and easy decision.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I was following the HAL ships issues over in the HAL forum. 

It was interesting how adamant and up front the local authorities were that HAL(Carnival) was to pay all costs.  It'd be like EMS showing up at house fire and getting agreement that the homeowner was to pay all costs before they even got out of their trucks.    Add in the the outcry when at first there was discussion of including cruise lines in the bailout and fact that they were not, I think the cruise lines got the message that they are "on their own" with these things.

So not only do I doubt I'll get on until this is snuffed out, I suspect the cruise lines are concerned about starting up again before this is snuffed out.  I'm not saying they won't startup before it's gone, just saying it won't be a quick and easy decision.

That's a great point.  The Princess ship that docked in Miami yesterday was rejected around the world and even Port Everglades.  Bodies were removed and there are still quarantined staff and passengers on board.  No way cities and counties would ever allow cruise ships to overwhelm their cities and hospitals again.  This reminds me of the scene in the movie Airplane when the movie was showing news clips of the pending tragedy.  They had a commentary segment (Counter Point) about the pending crash.  I truly believe that if cruising began before this was snuffed out or a vaccine was developed this would be the attitude of everyone on land:

Edited by david_sobe

20 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Lol for me it will be the next 18-24 months. Their is no way I'm going back on a ship until they have a vaccine. I had the virus and it kicked my ass,  I don't want to go thru that again

If you had it, shouldn’t you be immune already? I thought they wanted to develop the antibody test with the idea that people who had the antibodies could go back to their normal lives earlier since they were already immune.

46 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

If you had it, shouldn’t you be immune already? I thought they wanted to develop the antibody test with the idea that people who had the antibodies could go back to their normal lives earlier since they were already immune.

They don't know the answer to this yet.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

16 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

They don't know the answer to this yet.

Actually, I've heard repeatedly that the immunity will last for a limited time, much like flu with the idea being you'd bet an annual shot, again, much like you do with flu.

2 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Actually, I've heard repeatedly that the immunity will last for a limited time, much like flu with the idea being you'd bet an annual shot, again, much like you do with flu.

The director of the Maine CDC indicated they don't know enough about this virus to be able to say with any certainty that someone who has had it will have immunity for future cases.

If it is safe for us and the kids (2 adult sons 1 grandson) and Bermuda is open to cruise ships we plan to go in June. If unsafe or not going to Bermuda will wait until later in the year or next spring. Important thing is safety and well being of our family. God willing we will have time together in the future to cruise together again.

Stay home, stay safe and well.

Edited by latebloomer56
spelling

We have an August 2121 cruise to Alaska scheduled.   If it was this August I would have canceled by now.  Will definitely keep my eyes open to all developments.  No cruise is worth risking your health.   I do hope, however, there is a vaccine by then.

My wife and I had most symptoms (cough, fatigue, low grade fever for her) but no test kits available in Michigan so never tested.  Wasn't all that bad for us (thankfully), but we can't be sure we had CoVid-19 until the ELISA tests (antibody tests) are available.  The first of these was just approved (fast track hopey-wishy type approval) by FDA a few days ago.  We will have to see how accurate it is.  They are basically going to be testing it on all of us--but it is just a blood test, so no real safety issue, just efficacy issue.

Once I get a trustworthy positive result on one of these tests for my wife and I, I will feel that I am safe to cruise again.  We would be very unlikely to become ill again, and very unlikely to spread the virus as well.  Of course, I might still get stuck at sea with DeSantis (or some other governmental *****) preventing us from returning.  That is another new risk we haven't had to consider in the past.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LabRat said:

My wife and I had most symptoms (cough, fatigue, low grade fever for her) but no test kits available in Michigan so never tested.  Wasn't all that bad for us (thankfully), but we can't be sure we had CoVid-19 until the ELISA tests (antibody tests) are available.  The first of these was just approved (fast track hopey-wishy type approval) by FDA a few days ago.  We will have to see how accurate it is.  They are basically going to be testing it on all of us--but it is just a blood test, so no real safety issue, just efficacy issue.

Once I get a trustworthy positive result on one of these tests for my wife and I, I will feel that I am safe to cruise again.  We would be very unlikely to become ill again, and very unlikely to spread the virus as well.  Of course, I might still get stuck at sea with DeSantis (or some other governmental *****) preventing us from returning.  That is another new risk we haven't had to consider in the past.

I don't think that is correct.  Yes, it is speculated that once you get symptoms from Covid-19 that you build immunity from future outbreaks.  However, I know of no virus that you cant spread just because you have immunity for it.  If you have it on your hands you can still spread it to other passengers even though you may not get sick.  That's the biggest problem going on now. People who are not sick are spreading it all over the place.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I don't think that is correct.  Yes, it is speculated that once you get symptoms from Covid-19 that you build immunity from future outbreaks.  However, I know of no virus that you cant spread just because you have immunity for it.  If you have it on your hands you can still spread it to other passengers even though you may not get sick.  That's the biggest problem going on now. People who are not sick are spreading it all over the place.

Yes, you can physically spread a virus by transporting the thing on your clothes or luggage or hands or something.  A danger which can be virtually eliminated by simply spraying exteriors with 70% isopropyl alcohol, and washing your hands, etc.  Habits both I and my wife have well ingrained as we both spent decades working in microbiology research laboratories.

The far more problematic spreading results from a person that actually produces virus--and gets it all over everything and possibly aerosolizes it as well.  Almost impossible to avoid if you are producing a respiratory virus. 

But people who have a strong antibody response to the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein (which is what I suspect the coming ELISA-based antibody tests will be using) are unlikely to be re-infected and produce virus as the antibodies will prevent the virus from infecting cells.  Disclaimer:  That last is my opinion based on related corona viruses as the real test data for SARS-CoV-2 is not out yet.

Edit: I should address this as well: "That's the biggest problem going on now. People who are not sick are spreading it all over the place."  This is an imprecise statement.  I suspect that you mean people who are asymptomatic are a major problem.  That is true--they are infected, they are producing virus, but they don't have symptoms they recognize and so go about daily life. 'Not sick' implies that they do not produce virus yet spread virus anyway, like a kid tracking mud through the house.  That is actually easy to deal with through some simple habits.  But asymptomatic producers are a nightmare. A now-mare.  

Edited by LabRat

Have Oceania 4/4/21 Tahiti under deposit- exactly a year from yesterday. This is the soonest I'd consider cruising unless a miracle and a vaccine found. Will evaluate the coronavirus climate at final payment 11/20 and evaluate safety. But no cruising before then.

Feel badly for most people in this world, but feel for tour providers that rely on us too 😞

• Like 1