Soft Reopening Dates - Caribbean, Europe, Alaska

33 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL!!  And I went to Walmart today, (being an "essential business")  looking so very elegant in my home made face mask and beautiful blue latex gloves...:  😄    But for the first time in four weeks...I got there early enough to score a pack of TP!!  

We have been doing our shopping runs to a Costco Business Center.  Not as big a selection but fewer people.  The last time we were there we noticed no retail packs of TP but they had pallets of those big rolls that go in the dispensers in public restrooms.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dennis#1 said:

Disagree.  I do not consider Fox News or CNN to be entertainment.  Both Fox News and CNN provide informative news.  I watch both, but prefer Fox News.

I also watch both but it you check you will see the Fox News is licensed as an entertainment network, not a news network.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

And while I have empathy for the cruise ship crews, as I do for all mariners, they amount to a fraction of the problem of crew changes worldwide.  But, I wouldn't want to intrude on your vacation plans, but when store shelves and gas station tanks start to run empty, let me know about the "marooned" and "suffering" cruise ship crews.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Why would I reply to something you didn’t provide a link too? I posted links about crew members who want to go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fair enough, but I still don't understand why you want to shame us for finding the pictures of cruise ships anchored off the coast as cool or interesting. No one is laughing or making fun of the crew onboard. Quite the contrary, most of us are very concerned because we either know them or know of their importance to the cruise lines. You just seem to come off as someone who wants us all to know that you are empathatic to their plight. Great, welcome to the club.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

And while I have empathy for the cruise ship crews, as I do for all mariners, they amount to a fraction of the problem of crew changes worldwide.  But, I wouldn't want to intrude on your vacation plans, but when store shelves and gas station tanks start to run empty, let me know about the "marooned" and "suffering" cruise ship crews.

This site is about cruises. That is why cruise ships are being discussed. Cargo is essential. Cruises are not but there still humans on those cruise ships. I am not making vacation plans or cruise plans.

I used to post that I believe cruises will start back in September.  Now I don’t.  Maybe 2121 in the spring.  Maybe.   JMO.  There is still too much of the unknown.  One thing I I do know, we all need to be able to be tested if we want to be tested.  For me, I want to know.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

This site is about cruises. That is why cruise ships are being discussed. Cargo is essential. Cruises are not but there still humans on those cruise ships. I am not making vacation plans or cruise plans.

And those cruise ship crew are far more likely to get repatriated sooner, since the cruise line can get a couple hundred crew together from multiple ships if needed, to make up a charter flight back to their home country. Merchant ships drop off 1-5 crew at a time, so they are less likely to be able for the company to justify a charter flight.  Go over to the NCL board to a thread where a crew member has written about life onboard an anchored cruise ship.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

Disagree.  I do not consider Fox News or CNN to be entertainment.  Both Fox News and CNN provide informative news.  I watch both, but prefer Fox News.

Same here...see you have Ashburn in your status...our son lives in Ashburn as well...great area...miss my grandchildren....

4 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

3 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

I also watch both but it you check you will see the Fox News is licensed as an entertainment network, not a news network.  

Interesting, but I still consider both Fox News and CNN as news providers.  Found the following article that comments on this:

“Fox News (as well as CNN and MSNBC) is not an accredited news station because no regulatory body exists in the United States that has the authority to make such a classification.“

• Haha 1

Interesting, but I still consider both Fox News and CNN as news providers.  Found the following article that comments on this:  “Fox News (as well as CNN and MSNBC) is not an accredited news station because no regulatory body exists in the United States that has the authority to make such a classification.“

Of course it is only my opinion that they are not news providers. I recall watching the news every night back when it was Walter Cronkite etc. That was news.

Fox News, CNN and MSNBC have a lot of pundits who express opinions as news. It is pretty much entertainment on all three. I gave up watching them years ago. It has nothing to do with the recent political winds.

The print media puts their own spin on news too. But when reading news it is a lot easier to sort out. With the New York Times and Wall Street Journal I am getting varied sources. Not relying on one. The Washington Post is my local paper. That is why I subscribe. I also subscribe to Apple News Plus so I get a lot of news. I am a news junkie.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And while this, like many things cruise related, tends to get the media attention, there are 1.6 million merchant mariners currently onboard ships around the world who are in the same "boat" as the cruise crews, unable to crew change either due to ports not allowing crew changes or inability to obtain flights to/from the home countries.  While not all of the cruise ship crews you mention are due for crew change at this time, merchant mariners account for 100,000 crew changes every single month.  When crews start to reach the statutory maximum time on a ship, ships will stop running, and 80% of the world's trade will stop with them. 

Figured these lawsuits would come sooner or later, a Miami lawyer (who represents the parents of the child dropped out the window of an RCI ship) representing a Bulgarian crew member on a ship that had never left France.

You pegged it with the lawyers.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Fair enough, but I still don't understand why you want to shame us for finding the pictures of cruise ships anchored off the coast as cool or interesting. No one is laughing or making fun of the crew onboard. Quite the contrary, most of us are very concerned because we either know them or know of their importance to the cruise lines. You just seem to come off as someone who wants us all to know that you are empathatic to their plight. Great, welcome to the club.

You expressed it perfectly John.  I think most of us feel for the crew members stuck on the ships.  Like you we know many great crew members and we know how much they do to ensure that we have great cruises. 

Edited by SherriZ366
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

Interesting, but I still consider both Fox News and CNN as news providers.  Found the following article that comments on this:

“Fox News (as well as CNN and MSNBC) is not an accredited news station because no regulatory body exists in the United States that has the authority to make such a classification.“

random bit of trivia:  the military  does not consider either channel to be a reliable accurate and  unbiased source of world  news/information.  

key word: UNBIASED 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, spookwife said:

random bit of trivia:  the military  does not consider either channel to be a reliable accurate and  unbiased source of world  news/information.  

key word: UNBIASED 

I'm curious...what news source does the military consider to be unbiased?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm curious...what news source does the military consider to be unbiased?

Others can better comment but once upon a time I believe CNN was of interest for speed but BBC for accuracy of news reporting

If Spain reopens, and Italy does not, they could offer an intra 🇪🇸 Spain itinerary on Allure...Barcelona, Tarragona, Malaga, Palma, Cartagena, Valencia, Cadiz.... many options.  Just thinking 🤔 out loud. 

Edited by little britain

17 minutes ago, little britain said:

If Spain reopens, and Italy does not, they could offer an intra 🇪🇸 Spain itinerary on Allure...Barcelona, Tarragona, Malaga, Palma, Cartagena, Valencia, Cadiz.... many options.  Just thinking 🤔 out loud. 

IF any sailings are possible later in the year (Allure and Jewel) then I would add ports in Portugal (like Lisbon) as another option as they seem to be getting things under control. Doubt it, but we are all living in hope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Sorry, but any cruise that includes only ports in one EU nation is restricted to ships flying the flag of an EU member state.  That is their "PVSA" cabotage law.

• Like 2