Soft Reopening Dates - Caribbean, Europe, Alaska

In discussions with current officers and crews onboard various ships throughout the world, it looks like Royal will be doing “soft” opening dates - meaning cruising isn’t going to all resume on May 11th fleetwide. This has also highlighted by a recent article about Carnival, discussing “hot” and “cold” layups of various ships - meaning keeping some ships with full crew and keeping other ships with just the essentials. It will take 3-6 weeks to get “cold” layup ships (essential crew only) to get all crew back, 2-3 week quarantine of crew, and then provisioning. 

RCL is choosing specific ships to keep “hot” and “cold”:

Symphony, Anthem, Navigator, Mariner, Majesty, Explorer - keeping fully operational as possible. 

Oasis, Allure, Jewel, Brilliance, Voyager, Ovation, and Radiance - keeping essential people only 

The bet is Europe will be open before US cruising, but I remain skeptical about both to be honest. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Petroplex said:

Any idea where the Enchantment and the Liberty fit on that list?

I'm on liberty myself and wondered.

There were 2 crew test positive, so it might take a little more time to clean the ship so it's safe? 

I think that the ships going to Coco Cay (especially the 3-4 nighters on Mariner) would be the first to sail, assuming Royal has enough control of the island to make that decision.  We would be perfectly happy to be on the water, with meals provided, and a day (or even two) at Coco Cay.  Our first and third scheduled cruises are on the Mariner, with the Independence scheduled in between because of the Coco Cay/Labadee itinerary.  I think Royal could negotiate with the Bahamas and Haiti and make those ports possible by agreeing to have no locals in close contact with guests (Royal providing lifeguards, equipment rental personnel, etc.).  It might not be possible to provide excursions on those first cruises to avoid contact between guests and locals, but I don’t think we are alone in being willing to take that kind of a modified cruise.

Edited to add:  We aren’t unrealistic and fully expect to have at least some cruises cancelled, but have enough booked to hopefully cruise sooner or later.

Edited by ZoeyVictoria
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kokomo91165 said:

In discussions with current officers and crews onboard various ships throughout the world, it looks like Royal will be doing “soft” opening dates - meaning cruising isn’t going to all resume on May 11th fleetwide. This has also highlighted by a recent article about Carnival, discussing “hot” and “cold” layups of various ships - meaning keeping some ships with full crew and keeping other ships with just the essentials. It will take 3-6 weeks to get “cold” layup ships (essential crew only) to get all crew back, 2-3 week quarantine of crew, and then provisioning. 

Symphony, Anthem, Navigator, Mariner, Majesty, Explorer - keeping fully operational as possible. 

Oasis, Allure, Jewel, Brilliance, Voyager, Ovation, and Radiance - keeping essential people only 

The bet is Europe will be open before US cruising, but I remain skeptical about both to be honest. 

Any word on whether they are planning on sailing full or cutting back on passenger capacity?

If the Gov't cant screen, how can rcl? I saw a scroll that seemed to say a positive case got on the comfort. They were just taking non positive cases and screening and within a week the screening failed.

I guess I dont see it being possible to resume in may

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

That sounds like absolute paradise right now.

We got really, really lucky and were able to upgrade our inside on the Mariner to a corner aft balcony for $12 the other night.  I would be thrilled to spend four days on that balcony.  Unfortunately, it is the first one booked and the most likely to be cancelled 😢

• Like 1

Wonder what will become of our $200 FCC that we put on Liberty October 18.  Whether to CX or not.  We would let THEM cx it so we would get more back or if we cx it and they offered to reissue our $200 deposit we'd probably just wait and see what happens in the next few months.  We're keeping our Celebrity Edge booking April 2021, but the next flu season will be underway????? no telling what will happen.  Fortunately, I snagged a deposit special of $20 per person on that cruise...so we really don't care if we lose it.  But $200 is another thing........guess it's just a crap shoot for a while.

1 hour ago, Kokomo91165 said:

Thank you for sharing this information

If you get further information, in the future, can you update this thread?

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We got really, really lucky and were able to upgrade our inside on the Mariner to a corner aft balcony for $12 the other night.  I would be thrilled to spend four days on that balcony.  Unfortunately, it is the first one booked and the most likely to be cancelled 😢

All those crazy cheap upgrades that are happening is just eye wash, not going to sail, just a way of getting a few my $$ from everyone.

Also check your confirmation from before  and now as to the what each passenger paid? Probably 1st passenger paid alot and 2nd passengers paid very little.........and now when they give you that FCC to use, makes it much harder covering the cost of the rebooked cruise for the second passenger, you will be adding money for that person to sail with you.

Things will open up slowly............Cruising just doesn't make the cut of anything opening up early............Sad to say cruising is at the bottom of that LONG LIST. and with them not being  a USA business it's going to take a much longer time.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

All those crazy cheap upgrades that are happening is just eye wash, not going to sail, just a way of getting a few my $$ from everyone.

Also check your confirmation from before  and now as to the what each passenger paid? Probably 1st passenger paid alot and 2nd passengers paid very little.........and now when they give you that FCC to use, makes it much harder covering the cost of the rebooked cruise for the second passenger, you will be adding money for that person to sail with you.

Things will open up slowly............Cruising just doesn't make the cut of anything opening up early............Sad to say cruising is at the bottom of that LONG LIST. and with them not being  a USA business it's going to take a much longer time.

I checked out of curiosity.  $398 for 1st  passenger, $129 for 2nd, plus $85 port fees/taxes each.  I am fine with that being held up as a FCC, and don’t expect to find another cruise for a total of $701 (especially in that type of cabin).   It has given us a bit of pleasure and distraction, and we won’t be surprised or heartbroken or furious if the cruise does not happen.  For us,  it has been a positive experience in a sea of doom and gloom.  

• Like 3

Only if you believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, would you believe that any cruises will start before September.  People will still be dying from COVID19 and there is no way that a cruise line would remotely consider cruising while people are still getting sick and even still dying from this virus.  Besides, after watching ships limp in with sick and dead passengers, cruising in the next few months is not top on my to do list.  Can anyone imagine being on a ship with sick people and not being able to get off.  I love cruising and have been on almost 50 with various lines but I am not dyin* to go on a cruise anytime soon.  Please excuse me, I have to go hide eggs.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kokomo91165 said:

Sounds great!
Is there perhaps a link to some articles/news etc to read up further on this good news? Please post if so. Thanks.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I also think it's just baiting passengers for more money to help with the finances. Call me when someone finds out when schools will open.

• Like 4

If the Olympics, Wimbleton, soccer, and every other summer sport have already been cancelled or postponed and the NBA and NFL seasons are in jeopardy (Gov Newsom said very unlikely to resume on time in California and he has several NFL teams,) how can anyone think cruising will resume this summer, especially in late May?

IF crew and officers are saying that they are going to resume some cruises in early June, I would be willing to bet that it is what they have been told to say to stave off mass cancellations.

• Like 15

You know, it is possible to be realistic but also cautiously optimistic at the same time.  Some of us welcome the escape from the constant, stressful barrage of bad news.  Making plans for cruising is a nice break from the doom and gloom for me.  I wish there were more realistic but positive posts on CC these days.

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, Hobby3333 said:

Only if you believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, would you believe that any cruises will start before September.  People will still be dying from COVID19 and there is no way that a cruise line would remotely consider cruising while people are still getting sick and even still dying from this virus.  Besides, after watching ships limp in with sick and dead passengers, cruising in the next few months is not top on my to do list.  Can anyone imagine being on a ship with sick people and not being able to get off.  I love cruising and have been on almost 50 with various lines but I am not dyin* to go on a cruise anytime soon.  Please excuse me, I have to go hide eggs.

I can't even believe with where we are today that people are still throwing good money after bad on upgrades that won't happen. If after reading the thread about slow refunds doesn't jolt you into reality I don't know what will.  If unemployment, a government agency can process an excessive amount of unemployment claims in a week why can't Royal Caribbean process a refund in less than 30 days? It's because they don't have the money. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PNW Traveler said:

The chart would seem to suggest no Alaska and Pacific Coastal cruises in 2020.

I agree - especially none out of Vancouver until at least June 30.  This virus  outbreak hasn't even peaked in 
Canada yet .  

44 minutes ago, Hobby3333 said:

I couldn't agree more, except would probably say November/December instead of September.

• Like 2