Soft Reopening Dates - Caribbean, Europe, Alaska

20 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I can't even believe with where we are today that people are still throwing good money after bad on upgrades that won't happen. If after reading the thread about slow refunds doesn't jolt you into reality I don't know what will.  If unemployment, a government agency can process an excessive amount of unemployment claims in a week why can't Royal Caribbean process a refund in less tha in 30 days? It's because they don't have the money. 

I just watch the tail in of report with the Governor of Florida asking questions to the head of the unemployment agencies.  They are behind even with after throwing more servers at them over the weekend.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Did you cancel your flights or did the airlines? If the airlines canceled did you receive a refund? We have a flight to Florida on June 5th. My son was supposed to graduate college which was canceled. We received a refund from the hotel but I'm hoping the airlines cancels the flight.

Same here  hoping Jet Blue cancels my flight to NY in June

14 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Royal's headquarters is in Florida so that could prove to be a challenge.

Why?  The CEO of Bank of America say 72% of its work force is working from home.  The bank seems to be open.  And if you notice RCCL is more or less open with decisions being made etc.

37 minutes ago, Coopdog08 said:

what constitutes as a cancel? If the airline changes the time of your flight as well as the flight number to a new time and new flight but on same day is that a cancel or change? Our May cruise, which won’t happen, has had our return flight now changed twice. Was a 1pm departure, what I booked, then changed to 1130am, now it is 930am. 

We had flights booked thru AA for our cancelled May cruise.  Flight time and number were changed from 12:15PM to 10:08AM.  I phoned AA to see what my option were.  The agent told me since the flight time was over 1 hour difference I could receive a refund.  He cancelled my flight while I was on the phone with him and walked me thru the website to cancel.  Had the amount posted to credit card in just a few days.  Make sure you choose "other options" and not the voucher on the website.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cruise Bug2 said:

We had flights booked thru AA for our cancelled May cruise.  Flight time and number were changed from 12:15PM to 10:08AM.  I phoned AA to see what my option were.  The agent told me since the flight time was over 1 hour difference I could receive a refund.  He cancelled my flight while I was on the phone with him and walked me thru the website to cancel.  Had the amount posted to credit card in just a few days.  Make sure you choose "other options" and not the voucher on the website.

Thanks for the response!👍once my cruise is officially cancelled I will be canceling my flight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coopdog08 said:

what constitutes as a cancel? If the airline changes the time of your flight as well as the flight number to a new time and new flight but on same day is that a cancel or change? Our May cruise, which won’t happen, has had our return flight now changed twice. Was a 1pm departure, what I booked, then changed to 1130am, now it is 930am. 

You are due a refund should you desire. Any change in itinerary of 2 hours or more makes you eligible for a refund. 

1 hour ago, NancyIL said:

We have had several AA flights that were recently cancelled and then rebooked. American doesn't like giving refunds, but they have to if they cancel. Go to https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/ and enter your cancelled ticket number. For one flight we had to quote their Conditions of Carriage to get the refund approved. For our flight home from Europe in May that changed from a nonstop to a connection - the web site recognized immediately that we qualified for a refund. That didn't stop it from trying to get us to accept a voucher! Good luck!

Yes, this is exactly the hoops I am referring to. 
I called Southwest, told them the flight changes they made were unacceptable and I wanted a refund-done deal, credit appeared on my AMEX statement the next day. 

Call American Airlines, same situation, they cancel the ticket, give me a reference bummer for EACH ticket.  Then I have to go to a different website, put in my reference number, fill out an online form (for each ticket) decline a voucher (which they try and sneak in at every step) and submit the form. Wait for the “cancellation review process), get my refund in 2 billing cycles. 

I am done with AA, and that is saying something when you live 15 miles from DFW airport. 

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Yes, this is exactly the hoops I am referring to. 
I called Southwest, told them the flight changes they made were unacceptable and I wanted a refund-done deal, credit appeared on my AMEX statement the next day. 

Call American Airlines, same situation, they cancel the ticket, give me a reference bummer for EACH ticket.  Then I have to go to a different website, put in my reference number, fill out an online form (for each ticket) decline a voucher (which they try and sneak in at every step) and submit the form. Wait for the “cancellation review process), get my refund in 2 billing cycles. 

I am done with AA, and that is saying something when you live 15 miles from DFW airport. 

We got our first refund within a week to our credit card, so it shouldn't take two billing cycles.

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Did you cancel your flights or did the airlines?

The airline cancelled the flights when I called them since the departure time changed by more than 3 hours. If the departure time of either your outbound or return flight changes by more than 3 hours you are eligible for a full refund to original form of payment. Once they cancelled I had to go to a special website they've set up to request a refund rather than a future flight credit, but the refund request was processed immediately since they cancelled and it confirmed a full refund to my cc.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Actually NY is peaking now so it should reopen before Florida.

Our best reference to try to figure out when the country will open is to look at what has happened in the countries before us.

Wuhan is just now starting to reopen some stuff. And they had far stricter stay at home rules including welding people into their homes.

They started in November and by April they are starting to see enough progress to slowly open some things, so 5 months.

New York started in March.  5 months from now is August, and it will probably be later than that because the US does not have the extreme social isolating measures that some other countries are undertaking.  At best, NYC will be cautiously opening some things by August, most likely later in the fall.

Edited by cured

1 hour ago, Bearsfan82 said:

58 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That is unlikely to apply to close loop sailings.

Depends on the exact wording of the restriction.  I think this pretty much is to deal with current passengers, and crew, and will have the largest effect on crew.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cured said:

Our best reference is what has happened in the countries before us.

Wuhan is just now starting to reopen some stuff. And they had far stricter stay at home rules including welding people into their homes.

They started in November and by April they are starting to see enough progress to slowly open some things, so 5 months.

New York started in March.  5 months from now is August, and it will probably be later than that because the US does not have the extreme social isolating measures that some other countries are undertaking.  At best, NYC will be cautiously opening some things by August, most likely later in the fall.

Wuhan started their lockdown in late January, not November.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Depends on the exact wording of the restriction.  I think this pretty much is to deal with current passengers, and crew, and will have the largest effect on crew.

Yeah, I think this is designed to address immediate concerns, like the two HAL ships that just landed in Florida.  I don't think this is designed to be in place for the long term.

33 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

The airline cancelled the flights when I called them since the departure time changed by more than 3 hours. If the departure time of either your outbound or return flight changes by more than 3 hours you are eligible for a full refund to original form of payment. Once they cancelled I had to go to a special website they've set up to request a refund rather than a future flight credit, but the refund request was processed immediately since they cancelled and it confirmed a full refund to my cc.

The amount of time change depends on the airline. For American Airlines - the schedule change needs to be only 61 minutes or more. Read your airline's Conditions of Carriage.

Edited by NancyIL

9 minutes ago, danv3 said:

Wuhan started their lockdown in late January, not November.

Their cases started in November.

But nothing wrong with being optimistic.

Edited by cured

18 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I believe this was referring to ships that had covid-19 onboard

• Like 1

To me, the key to these announcements is not so much the specifics of a temporary order, but what they tell us about how the government agencies are feeling towards the industry. The cruise industry isn't going to restart without the full support of the Coast Guard, the port authorities, immigration authorities, etc. Just a few days ago these agencies were saying we'd rather people die on board rather than let a cruise ship dock. Fortunately, saner heads prevailed, but at least at the moment I don't think governments are feeling all warm and fuzzy towards the cruise lines. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cured said:

Our best reference to try to figure out when the country will open is to look at what has happened in the countries before us.

This is what social distancing looks like in my neighborhood. Apparently today is a gym day for the home school.

fullsizeoutput_ea7.jpeg

23 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

To me, the key to these announcements is not so much the specifics of a temporary order, but what they tell us about how the government agencies are feeling towards the industry. The cruise industry isn't going to restart without the full support of the Coast Guard, the port authorities, immigration authorities, etc. Just a few days ago these agencies were saying we'd rather people die on board rather than let a cruise ship dock. Fortunately, saner heads prevailed, but at least at the moment I don't think governments are feeling all warm and fuzzy towards the cruise lines. 

At least for the USCG, that is not what they were saying.