No Sail Order extended - 100 days

Pushka

What I can’t figure out is where people think they are going to sail. Europe may reopen work places but international tourism is out of the question until late fall. Canada expects their borders to be closed to non essential inter provincial travel for the next 6 months, even for their own citizens.  The Caribbean islands want absolutely no part of large cruise ships. Most of these islands have no more than 10 ICU beds in any hospital, and many have only one hospital. Again, if you go on any land based tourist web sites, particularly in the Caribbean, locals are excoriating people who think they are coming for a tourist visit anytime this summer into fall, insisting they are selfish to think they could not transmit the disease from their city or home country. EU countries do not expect non essential travel even between other EU countries, and certainly not international trans oceanic tourists, until November at least.

So just where do cruisers think they will travel even if cruising starts up in July or August.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Canada has not put any timeline on how long the present self isolation and social distancing protocols will last. Funny thing I live in Canada and wasn't aware that there was any mention of 6 months. I must have missed that part of our Prime Minister's briefing. I also wasn't aware of any restriction of movement of Canadians within Canada. If for some bizarre reason I wanted to go to Ottawa for instance there is nothing to stop me. If however I left Canada for some even more bizarre reason and came back to Canada, then I would have to submit a proper Self isolation plan and follow it for 14 days or be quarantined in a hotel at point of entry for 14 days. Failing to fulfill the isolation plan has some pretty hefty penalties. How long our borders are closed to non essential international arrivals will depend on how well the current countermeasures flatten the curve. We share the world's largest undefended border with the worlds largest outbreak of COVID 19. I think our border will remain closed until there is some actual progress on that outbreak.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Knolmom said:

What I can’t figure out is where people think they are going to sail. Europe may reopen work places but international tourism is out of the question until late fall. Canada expects their borders to be closed to non essential inter provincial travel for the next 6 months, even for their own citizens.  The Caribbean islands want absolutely no part of large cruise ships. Most of these islands have no more than 10 ICU beds in any hospital, and many have only one hospital. Again, if you go on any land based tourist web sites, particularly in the Caribbean, locals are excoriating people who think they are coming for a tourist visit anytime this summer into fall, insisting they are selfish to think they could not transmit the disease from their city or home country. EU countries do not expect non essential travel even between other EU countries, and certainly not international trans oceanic tourists, until November at least.

So just where do cruisers think they will travel even if cruising starts up in July or August.

Well, Celebrity still thinks our July cruise out of Rome is entirely possible given they haven't cancelled. I don't think it's a cruiser expectation of travel as I have none, but Celebrity on the other hand.....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I'm the same but reports are saying social distancing till 2022 or vaccine. I'll be 70 by the end of summer therefore will wait for the vaccine.  Also heard Covid 19 to reappear its ugly head next winter. 

Absolutely no one knows what's going to happen some summertime, until it does happen.  It's all assumption.  One can assume it'll die out once warm weather hits and it disappears like SARS did OR one can assume it'll explode further because of the warm weather.  For now, we sit and wait to see what happens.  Not even the most intelligent people in the would who are working on a vaccine know what's going to happen.

• Like 1

Celebrity hasn’t cancelled your cruise because they are conserving their asserts so they don’t go belly-up. They are hoping you cancel so they can offer you future cruise credit. If they cancel they have to offer you a refund. They will cancel your cruise about one month before you sail. I am surprised that you air has not already been cancelled if you are flying from the US. You might want to keep your eye on your flights if you are flying in from abroad, and keep your eyes on the non schengen travel requirements for tourists into Italy.

Edited by Knolmom
Sp
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Knolmom said:

Celebrity hasn’t cancelled your cruise because they are conserving their asserts so they don’t go belly-up. They are hoping you cancel so they can offer you future cruise credit. If they cancel they have to offer you a refund. They will cancel your cruise about one month before you sail. I am surprised that you air has not already been cancelled if you are flying from the US.

Which is why I will wait until they cancel.  I'd want my money back in full and not a FCC.  Thankfully I've also booked my airfare through Celebrity, so I will get that back as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Which is why I will wait until they cancel.  I'd want my money back in full and not a FCC.  Thankfully I've also booked my airfare through Celebrity, so I will get that back as well.

I cancelled my Bermuda week before final payment due $125 Canadian towards FCC that was actually a reduced deposit. The other sailing which has now past the line cancelled so full refund including deposit.  Who knows what the future holds. Time will tell. 

14 hours ago, markeb said:

If there's one place on earth I can't imagine allowing travel of a human being with a potentially devastating virus, it would be the Galapagos. Any word from Ecuador on even getting there?

actually our cruisetour begins on June 12. And, yes, Ecuador has closed it's Quito airport, at least last time I looked. And Copa has suspended it's flights thru Panama, their hub.  ugh.  Maybe they'll change later.  gotta cancel this one.  They have the virus on the islands themselves. So tragic. And Ecuador is NOT doing well. 😞

9 minutes ago, VickyMcG said:

Maybe my Galapagos cruise in June will be cancelled later?   Right now I would just get FCC.

Yes, I'm sure it will and if I were you, I would wait.

Celebrity appears to be cancelling in one month batches, the first round announced by Celebrity a month ago, was a cancellation of all cruises through May 11, and now it's all cruises through June 11.  I'm sure in one month, they will announce another month of cancellations and that will include all June cruises.  It looks like they are doing it this way so they don't have refund everyone at once, and I'm sure it would also be a customer service nightmare to try to take  months and months of cancellation calls and questions all at once.

We are booked on a June 13th cruise out of Rome, so we also just missed the cutoff for the latest round... we will wait, and will cancel in another month when they announce the next round.

3 minutes ago, NinaBlue22 said:

Yes, I'm sure it will and if I were you, I would wait.

Celebrity appears to be cancelling in one month batches, the first round announced by Celebrity a month ago, was a cancellation of all cruises through May 11, and now it's all cruises through June 11.  I'm sure in one month, they will announce another month of cancellations and that will include all June cruises.  It looks like they are doing it this way so they don't have refund everyone at once, and I'm sure it would also be a customer service nightmare to try to take  months and months of cancellation calls and questions all at once.

We are booked on a June 13th cruise out of Rome, so we also just missed the cutoff for the latest round... we will wait, and will cancel in another month when they announce the next round.

hate to say that I hope you're right, but in our case.....

Thing is, these suspensions were in direct response to CDC proclamations. So, it's a wait and see, I guess.  I can only guess. Logic is not working for me. ha

9 minutes ago, VickyMcG said:

hate to say that I hope you're right, but in our case.....

Thing is, these suspensions were in direct response to CDC proclamations. So, it's a wait and see, I guess.  I can only guess. Logic is not working for me. ha

I have nothing to lose by waiting another month for Celebrity to cancel.  If I cancel now, I would have to take 100% FCC that must be used by 12/31/21.. no thanks.   And that option will still be available to me if I wait another month.

25 minutes ago, NinaBlue22 said:

I have nothing to lose by waiting another month for Celebrity to cancel.  If I cancel now, I would have to take 100% FCC that must be used by 12/31/21.. no thanks.   And that option will still be available to me if I wait another month.

yeah, that's a given.  Keep your options open!

14 hours ago, Knolmom said:

Canada expects their borders to be closed to non essential inter provincial travel for the next 6 months, even for their own citizens.

This statement is highly inaccurate. Only one province - Quebec - has closed its borders to non-essential interprovincial travel. The North West Territories and Nunavut have similar restrictions, although the latter has a lengthy list of exceptions. There is no indication that Quebec or the two territories expect to maintain the travel restrictions for the next six months. Nunavut's legislation, for example, "remains in effect for the duration of the Public Health Emergency, unless otherwise rescinded."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VickyMcG said:

actually our cruisetour begins on June 12. And, yes, Ecuador has closed it's Quito airport, at least last time I looked. And Copa has suspended it's flights thru Panama, their hub.  ugh.  Maybe they'll change later.  gotta cancel this one.  They have the virus on the islands themselves. So tragic. And Ecuador is NOT doing well. 😞

We were set to sail on Flora on May 24th.  Got a text yesterday that it is cancelled.  I guess the Gods are telling me I'm not supposed to ever get there.  We were put on the Flora for this trip, as our May of 2019 Xpedition cruise was cancelled 4 days before we were set to leave by Celebrity due to paperwork not being correct as they ship was not allowed to sail by the government.  Now I am hoping my TA can get us booked again for next year, but I'm sure Celebrity is going to screw us royally.   

2 hours ago, NinaBlue22 said:

cancel now, I would have to take 100% FCC that must be used by 12/31/21.. no thanks.  

That could possibly be extended further. My airfare for which I now have a travel credit is good for 24 months.  The original date was 1 year from date of purchase.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

I get all that, just don't get why anyone would still make final payment at this point, even if they have a NRD. 

Agree.  It's not an option for us, but if our cruise was further out, I would not be making final payment, just canceling

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

That could possibly be extended further. My airfare for which I now have a travel credit is good for 24 months.  The original date was 1 year from date of purchase.

I might take the FCC if they extended. But, I would still wait until they officially cancel our cruise to get the 125%

4 hours ago, VickyMcG said:

It isn't just the Quito airport that is closed, Ecuador has closed its borders to all foreigners and Ecuadorian citizens until further notice.  Ecuador is in terrible shape.  I can't see them recovering and allowing people in by mid-June.  It's a very sad situation.

5 hours ago, jonthomas said:

I get all that, just don't get why anyone would still make final payment at this point, even if they have a NRD. 

My final payment for a July Med cruise from Rome is due in three weeks. The cruise has a snowball's chance in hell of sailing. I have non refundable deposit. And there is no way I'm going to be handing over $12,000 AUD for it as I don't want a voucher that I know I won't be able to use by December 2021 and be damned if I'm going to wait - what is it up to? - 30 days plus? and having to pay that amount to the credit card but not getting the refund. Assuming of course, that refund does actually arrive. 

Australia's borders are completely closed, we have a Do Not Travel in place, and few flights. I don't see that changing for 6 months. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pushka said:

My final payment for a July Med cruise from Rome is due in three weeks. The cruise has a snowball's chance in hell of sailing. I have non refundable deposit. And there is no way I'm going to be handing over $12,000 AUD for it as I don't want a voucher that I know I won't be able to use by December 2021 and be damned if I'm going to wait - what is it up to? - 30 days plus? and having to pay that amount to the credit card but not getting the refund. Assuming of course, that refund does actually arrive. 

Australia's borders are completely closed, we have a Do Not Travel in place, and few flights. I don't see that changing for 6 months. 

Do not make the final payment. Your deposit will become an FCC. There is no guarantee you will get a refund and as time goes on even a lesser chance. No way will a July cruise out of Rome happen.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1