No Sail Order extended - 100 days

Pushka

17 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Yes, exactly - agree 100%.  Which is why I don't find the argument that there is still is no vaccine for the common cold any kind of any argument for why we might never have a Covid-19 virus.  Totally different scenarios.

SARS is a coronavirus too, and no one was successful in finding a vaccine for it.

But I am hopeful that one will be found for Covid 19. 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 1

SARS is a coronavirus too, and no one was successful in finding a vaccine for it.

They stopped working on SARS vaccine because the manufacturers lost interest. There was no money in it for them. There were 8000 cases and it disappeared. If Covid 19 does not disappear and it remains a threat I think there likely will be a vaccine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They stopped working on SARS vaccine because the manufacturers lost interest. There was no money in it for them. There were 8000 cases and it disappeared. If Covid 19 does not disappear and it remains a threat I think there likely will be a vaccine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually they stopped working on it, because there is no way to test the vaccine, since there is not area having a SARs outbreak in which to test it. No outbreak, no clinical trials. It was stopped before any of the candidates could be tested.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

There were several vaccine candidates for SARs, but the outbreak did not last long enough for any of them to make it into clinical trials.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:06 AM, TeeRick said:

I get why you think it is a sham as some here do. A lot of people have money tied up waiting for the next set of cancellations.  It is frustrating for sure.  But what date do you think they should extend to at this point?  Sept?  Dec?  2021 some time?  How does one decide?  And cancel all operations to that date or allow a few cruises to resume with the right conditions?  Should they continue to waffle (or be conservative in my view) and choose a date after the next set of CDC guidelines? This is more than a bit complicated.

It might just be an attempt to be able to try to handle cancellations.

It does seem cancellation of all Alaska would be a good place to start.  Probably cruises in Europe through September are impossible because of crew issues alone.

Australia and NZ won't happen with their government closing things until next year.

Agree with the poster that said next week they cancel for another month.  The could do it better like other lines.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, GerScot said:

getting back to OP....... when is next no sail expected?

Next week either Monday or Friday.  According to my Oujia Board.

Do remember SARS vaccine stopped because SARS quickly disappeared.  Trials became impossible. Nobody infected - thankfully.

56 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Next week either Monday or Friday.  According to my Oujia Board.

Do remember SARS vaccine stopped because SARS quickly disappeared.  Trials became impossible. Nobody infected - thankfully.

That is a similar issue in Australia too as our cases are down to less than 20 a day currently across the country. So any vaccine development and also treatments are becoming difficult to trial. 

By the time vaccines get developed it will be more difficult to test their efficacy in the general population because of the infection rate going down (which is a good thing).  There is a little bit of talk of asking healthy volunteers in a controlled way to get challenged by the virus to see if the vaccine works.  Not for me!  They could also try to correlate vaccine immune responses (antibodies, T-Cells) with protection from the virus.

Another week and another Monday passed and still no announcement. We are less than 3 weeks from the supposed restart date of June 11th which everyone knows won’t happen.

Our cruise isn’t until October so we can wait but I feel for those of you with cruises this summer.

Come on Celebrity, we are waiting!! 

Edited by WNcruiser

18 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

Another week and another Monday passed and still no announcement. We are less than 3 weeks from the supposed restart date of June 11th which everyone knows won’t happen.

Our cruise isn’t until October so we can wait but I feel for those of you with cruises this summer.

Come on Celebrity, we are waiting!! 

Yes!  We have a July 17th sailing in Alaska and patiently waiting for the cancellation!!

They are waiting for the CDC along with the other cruise lines.   Carnival is looking at a partial opening in August.   Seabourn is looking at November.   The CDC can ruin any plans made by the cruise lines.   Hopefully the lines are in discussions with the CDC.

I was cruising in 1968, as a teenager, can’t remember any quarantine, travel restrictions, closings or even much news coverage over Swine Flu and it killed 100K in the U.S.   Guess the war and protests were more important.  There was also never a vaccine.   Has our society changed that much in 50 years.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

They are waiting for the CDC along with the other cruise lines.   Carnival is looking at a partial opening in August.   Seabourn is looking at November.   The CDC can ruin any plans made by the cruise lines.   Hopefully the lines are in discussions with the CDC.

I was cruising in 1968, as a teenager, can’t remember any quarantine, travel restrictions, closings or even much news coverage over Swine Flu and it killed 100K in the U.S.   Guess the war and protests were more important.  There was also never a vaccine.   Has our society changed that much in 50 years.

No, because it's not like the flu.  

14 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

No, because it's not like the flu.  

I remember it a bit differently.  At least in Calif there was a LOT of talk and fear about it.  Our parents were so sick they could not leave their beds.  I had to feed them myself.  And yes, I still did my protesting.  :~)

science has come a long way since then.

16 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I’m young enough to only vaguely remember 1968, but it was one of the most divisive years in US history. War in Vietnam, MLK, RFK, but capped somehow by the miracle of Apollo 8. And three networks...

We’re in a social media pandemic. Hard to compare the times. The 1968 flu was definitely bad. 

On 5/13/2020 at 10:15 AM, phoenix_dream said:

But how hard have they been really trying to find a vaccine for the common cold?  Think about it.  Someone finds a vaccine, and immediately billions of dollars in sales of cold medicines are no longer needed, including that of the company who found the vaccine.  They could conceivably make some $$ in the short term, but once it went generic all their future sales of cold meds go by the wayside.  Call me a skeptic, but I think the 'trying' for a vaccine is a myth.  Working in the industry, perhaps you have some inside scoop on this and I am wrong?

I am sorry, but I worked for a pharmaceutical company and at one time a consumer products company. They don't think that way... first of all... consumer products companies..the ones that make the cold products are not the same as the pharmaceutical/biologic companies that work on vaccines...  FYI very little money is to be made producing and selling say..flu vaccines. I know it is hard to believe...but not all people who work for big companies are like Doctor Evil... they actually want to do good things for the public. Now there are a few of those ass holes who are sitting in jail that give everyone else a bad name. The challenge is that viruses can mutate and the vaccine you develop may not work on the modified strain... reason why each year they have to tweak the flu vaccine and why the vaccine includes three strains. WHO monitors strains in the southern hemisphere and makes the call in Feb... giving vaccine manufactures (w FDA participation) the strains they believe will be in the North in the winter. It takes months to produce... most flu vaccines are produced in fertilized eggs... three eggs per dose. Now I hear this virus will not be produced in eggs...so perhaps it can be produced faster..but we still don't know if it will be effective... yes promising initial results... but todate we are not even sure if someone who has the antibodies is protected from getting it again. We have to wait and see... but in the meantime there are actually good people working on this..not all people with big generous hearts serve coffee at Starbucks... many work in corporate America everyday trying to make safe and effective products for everyday people. 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 4:04 PM, Pushka said:

That is a similar issue in Australia too as our cases are down to less than 20 a day currently across the country. So any vaccine development and also treatments are becoming difficult to trial. 

Plenty of places in the world to test COVID-19 vaccine.

3 hours ago, kearney said:

I am sorry, but I worked for a pharmaceutical company and at one time a consumer products company. They don't think that way... first of all... consumer products companies..the ones that make the cold products are not the same as the pharmaceutical/biologic companies that work on vaccines...  FYI very little money is to be made producing and selling say..flu vaccines. I know it is hard to believe...but not all people who work for big companies are like Doctor Evil... they actually want to do good things for the public. Now there are a few of those ass holes who are sitting in jail that give everyone else a bad name. The challenge is that viruses can mutate and the vaccine you develop may not work on the modified strain... reason why each year they have to tweak the flu vaccine and why the vaccine includes three strains. WHO monitors strains in the southern hemisphere and makes the call in Feb... giving vaccine manufactures (w FDA participation) the strains they believe will be in the North in the winter. It takes months to produce... most flu vaccines are produced in fertilized eggs... three eggs per dose. Now I hear this virus will not be produced in eggs...so perhaps it can be produced faster..but we still don't know if it will be effective... yes promising initial results... but todate we are not even sure if someone who has the antibodies is protected from getting it again. We have to wait and see... but in the meantime there are actually good people working on this..not all people with big generous hearts serve coffee at Starbucks... many work in corporate America everyday trying to make safe and effective products for everyday people. 

Coupled to this one must also hope that COVID-19 does not react like Dengue to a vaccine.

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Yes. As long as scientific rigour is maintained. 

Keep in mind that most of the drugs approved in Australia were approved based upon clinical trials run in other parts of the world.

3 hours ago, npcl said:

Keep in mind that most of the drugs approved in Australia were approved based upon clinical trials run in other parts of the world.

In Australia we have a separate authentication process and not every drug is approved here. 

Edited by Pushka

17 minutes ago, Pushka said:

In Australia we have a separate authentication process and not every drug is approved here. 

Yes you have a separate agency it is called the TGA (Therapeutics Goods Administration).  They approve the drugs for use in Australia.  Most of which are first developed in the US or the EU.  The dossier for approval is submitted to the TGA (I was involved in 3 submissions to them about drugs developed by the company I was working for at the time).  None of the clinical trials for those three were done in Australia, all were first approved and the trials run in the US.  Most of the drugs submitted have their clinical trials run in other countries.  Australia has a relatively small market.  So in most cases drugs get submitted there after getting approval else where.

Or to show it another way there are currently 4,861 clinical trials registered in Australia, compared to 340,032 world wide, with 113,957 in the US alone.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1

Has there been any updates from the CDC since the July 24th extension? You would think there would be some new information as it’s been over a month now. 

There are many of us who have cruises booked later in the year that would like to know if they are going or not and what the “new” onboard rules will be. 

Edited by WNcruiser