Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

4 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

There is no need to change a mask during the shift. Once your in the hospital setting why would you ever take it off?! Does it magically become less reliable over 2 or 4 or even 6 hours? NO

BTW the amount of masks available is a crazy high number at this point. Get your facts straight before fearmongering.

I will disagree, in a medical ER where each and every patient may be COVID19 positive and you are intubating them that is high dose of active virus and activity.   You are sweating, you have your PPE overdosed with the stuff,   if there was enough PPE the hospital would be discarding and putting on new PPE for every patient they come into close / physical contact. 

This was widely reports and discussed, but the huge shortage of PPE has resulted in them having to conserve.   

Have you gone to a doctor/dental hygenist, do they change out their PPE/wash their hand  between patients?   

The reason is to not only protect themselves but to prevent cross contamination from patient to patient.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Hospital healthcare workers change their masks throughout the day. Protocol is to change between patients; this includes gloves and other PPE. Emergency room workers may even be required to change PPE while working with one patient, depending on the care being given.

There may be crazy high numbers of masks (and other PPE) being manufactured, but they aren't being evenly supplied in all areas where they are/will be needed.

Southern New Mexico is expecting the COVID-19 surge to hit in about a week. Our hospitals don't have the supplies they need; hopefully that will change in the coming week. I'm not fearmongering, just stating a fact.

Can't fix stupid, but funny and sad 😞

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

Your probably one of the same people saying "we have no masks" which is a huge lie. (Masks are being produced in this country faster than healthcare facilities  could possibly use them.) 

Yeah, you're going to need to provide a source on that. Ideally not from Facebook. 

If there were sufficient masks, the Federal government wouldn't be stealing them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

Not a chance. What does the mask help to begin with? Touch your face to put it on, touch your face to adjust it, touch your face to take it off. 

Ridiculous.

the mask is not there to protect you, it's there to protect others from you...  or rather the droplets that rain from your mouth & nose when you breathe.   that's why it doesn't need to be a super filtering mask like those that are reserved for first responder, health care... etc.   It's only intended to make your mouth & nose rain travel less far & less likely to infect someone else.    So if all someone has is a cut off teen shirt sleeve, please wear it in good health.  :)

I hope this post comes across as intended:  helpful, & not snarky.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

I will disagree, in a medical ER where each and every patient may be COVID19 positive and you are intubating them that is high dose of active virus and activity.   You are sweating, you have your PPE overdosed with the stuff,   if there was enough PPE the hospital would be discarding and putting on new PPE for every patient they come into close / physical contact. 

This was widely reports and discussed, but the huge shortage of PPE has resulted in them having to conserve.   

Have you gone to a doctor/dental hygenist, do they change out their PPE/wash their hand  between patients?   

The reason is to not only protect themselves but to prevent cross contamination from patient to patient.   

Thanks for explaining so well. That had been what I read.

7 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

Not a chance. What does the mask help to begin with? Touch your face to put it on, touch your face to adjust it, touch your face to take it off. 

Ridiculous.

While I understand your desire not to wear a mask while cruising, the rest of your post reveals a lack of understanding. There is a proper method to donning and removing a mask. There are multiple videos of the procedure on YouTube. Simply put, it requires the wearer to properly sanitize their hands before and after. And a properly worn mask should not need to be touched once it is on. If you touch it, then sanitize your hands.

There are also videos that demonstrate how to properly store a mask for later re use, for those who don't know how.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

My apologies.  My note does not read well at all.   

Take care.  

Thank you.  The following quote from cruisemom42 may say it best for many of us:

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

maybe everyone is just on edge due to the quarantine and a lack of vitamin "C" (Cruising)...

Stay as safe as you can be as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

While I understand your desire not to wear a mask while cruising, the rest of your post reveals a lack of understanding. There is a proper method to donning and removing a mask. There are multiple videos of the procedure on YouTube. Simply put, it requires the wearer to properly sanitize their hands before and after. And a properly worn mask should not need to be touched once it is on. If you touch it, then sanitize your hands.

There are also videos that demonstrate how to properly store a mask for later re use, for those who don't know how.

I totally agree with your answer regarding how to effectively wear a mask. However, many people throughout the world are not aware of the basic procedures as to mask wearing, and by following the wrong protocols,  they are actually endangering themselves.

There is a video currently circulating in the UK of a lady wearing a mask (I wont say where she is from, as stupidity is universal) with a hole cut around her nose. When questioned, she said that it was too difficult to breath,  so she cut a hole in the mask.  When you get stupidity like that, how can you expect people to even put on and take off a mask in a sterile manner?

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I totally agree with your answer regarding how to effectively wear a mask. However, many people throughout the world are not aware of the basic procedures as to mask wearing, and by following the wrong protocols,  they are actually endangering themselves.

There is a video currently circulating in the UK of a lady wearing a mask (I wont say where she is from, as stupidity is universal) with a hole cut around her nose. When questioned, she said that it was too difficult to breath,  so she cut a hole in the mask.  When you get stupidity like that, how can you expect people to even put on and take off a mask in a sterile manner?

Simple answer: you can't fix stupid. But Darwin may. It's unfortunate that they may also take innocents with them. Some people are ignorant and happy to remain so. Others are lazy. Others are simply simply too centered on their own desires and have no interest in anyone else's  health and welfare . How many times have you seen people ignore even the most basic of personal hygiene measures? All I can do is attempt to educate those closest to me, practice what I preach,  and hope/pray for the best.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, ChasDot said:

Would you receive the vaccination, if they forced you to be vaccinated before the cruise 

Huh? I would assume that if that becomes a requirement then the cruise line would offer you the opportunity to cancel with refund if you wouldn't get the vaccination. Is that your question?

31 minutes ago, ChasDot said:

Go a little farther . If A vaccination was developed before your cruise date . Would you receive the vaccination, if they forced you to be vaccinated before the cruise 

Even though everyone should take the vaccine once it has been determined to work and be available I do not believe that a cruise line or anyone else can force a person to take one.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Even though everyone should take the vaccine once it has been determined to work and be available I do not believe that a cruise line or anyone else can force a person to take one.

What if the CDC required it for travel on a cruise ship?

9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

No one (at least in the US) is likely to be forced to gat a vaccination -  but people who refuse to get vaccinations generally recognized as necessariy can surely be refused the opportunity to board a cruise ship - or to attend a school.

Rights can never exist in a vacuum - someone has to be there to recognize them;   but a number of people seem to feel that they have rights but never obligations (such as recognizing the rights of others - like not being recklessly exposed to preventable infection).

Edited by navybankerteacher

6 minutes ago, clo said:

What if the CDC required it for travel on a cruise ship?

You would know this better than I however,I believe the CDC can only recommend  and not make it a necessity .If you say I am wrong I will accept what you say and not debate it.

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

No one (at least in the US) is likely to be forced to gat a vaccination -  but people who refuse to get vaccinations generally recognized as necessariy can surely be refused the opportunity to board a cruise ship - or to attend a school.

Rights can never exist in a vacuum - someone has to be there to recognize them;   but a number of people seem to feel that they have rights but never obligations (such as recognizing the rights of others - like not being recklessly exposed to preventable infection).

In 1980 there was an outbreak of hepatitis in the company that I was working in .The employees were told that they should be vaccinated.I was the only one who refused.They could not legally force me to change my mind.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

You would know this better than I however,I believe the CDC can only recommend  and not make it a necessity .If you say I am wrong I will accept what you say and not debate it.

I don't know this but they've stopped the ships from sailing. I'd guess there's also the issue of whether other nations will allow non-vaccinated people to disembark in their ports. Len, I think there are a ton of questions that need answers. Another reason I don't think 'normal' is anywhere close to happening.  Whatever 'normal' means. ?

1 minute ago, clo said:

I don't know this but they've stopped the ships from sailing. I'd guess there's also the issue of whether other nations will allow non-vaccinated people to disembark in their ports. Len, I think there are a ton of questions that need answers. Another reason I don't think 'normal' is anywhere close to happening.  Whatever 'normal' means. ?

The vaccine has to be proven to be effective before many people will take it.Conversely as soon as a vaccine is available there will be people lining up to get it.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 1980 there was an outbreak of hepatitis in the company that I was working in .The employees were told that they should be vaccinated.I was the only one who refused.They could not legally force me to change my mind.

There is a difference being a customer and an employee. In saying that if Cruise Lines made vaccination a requirement the employees would have to follow suit. At the end of the day it will come down to money. If the cost of a COVID19 outbreak outweighs the financial loss of refusing anti-vaxer customers then anti-vaxers will be easily thrown to the curb. 

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The vaccine has to be proven to be effective before many people will take it.Conversely as soon as a vaccine is available there will be people lining up to get it.

Yep. I think some people are really unrealistic about how long it will take for everyone to be vaccinated. Wish thinking, I suppose.

18 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Hepatitis is not as contagious (person to person) as COVID, so it is not a relevant comparison.   In any event, requiring a vaccination for someone considering a voluntary recreational cruise is a whole different thing.

i would not be at all surprised if COVID vaccinations ( once available) were made a condition of employment — the same way smallpox and measles  vaccinations are now conditions of attending school.

They might not be able to legally force you to change your mind - but you might not be legally able to retain your job if you were a threat to other employees,

Remember - sometimes your rights come with obligations - like having to respect the rights of others.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

But they can decide to not allow them to cruise without it. Or some ports may refuse ships that have unvaccinated passengers leading the cruise lines to adopt a you must get a vaccine policy.

• Like 1

No.

I am with those who say that if a mask is necessary, then the cruise should not go ahead.

Yes, it will help protect others. But will others still protect me?

How often have you seen people with masks pull down their mask to talk to their friend/answer their phone/scratch their nose, and then replace the mask and with the same hand that touched the mask they have been breathing heavily into, start touching things?

Cannot see that people on a ship will be any better behaved, and as all the evidence so far points to the biggest risk being lots of people in enclosed spaces - I am not that desperate to get back on a cruise.

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

But they can decide to not allow them to cruise without it. Or some ports may refuse ships that have unvaccinated passengers leading the cruise lines to adopt a you must get a vaccine policy.

Our Governor states it is mandatory to wear a mask ,however,it is not enforced.