After refund fiasco, why would you ever consider Royal again?

21 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Are these two major international corporations also not designed and not prepared to handle mass cancellations and refunds?

They are a lot better prepared than RCI, because of the systems they have in place.  BTW, have seen Oceania pricing?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Now I'm even more confused....

I cancelled my Marriott/Bonvoy reservation. I suspect they have tens of thousands of bookings/cancellations/new bookings all over the world. I had my credit card refund in 4 days.

I called my TA to cancel my AirCanada flights to Newark... just like the cruiselines, airlines facing bankruptcy, cash flow issues/likely thousands of calls daily with changes/refunds/etc. My future flight credit was emailed to me in two days.

Are these two major international corporations also not designed and not prepared to handle mass cancellations and refunds?

Don't doubt any of that at all, but the major difference is what was charged, how it was paid, and the ability to automatically reconcile both events. As an example, we are waiting on the refund for our May 17 RCL cruise. Originally booked as a Balcony while onboard, so only a $200 deposit. Made incremental payments (some with my RCL Visa, some with my wife's RCL Visa, and some with each of our Chase Visas), then upgraded to a suite. New deposit, and increase in incremental payments. Paid everything off well before final payment date. Refunds now have to be reconciled through two different banks and a total of four different credit cards. Cruise insurance has to be deducted from one of those four accounts, NRD for the suite has to be backed out as an FCC, and then both banks and four credit card have to be credited. 

If someone books a room at a hotel,  they generally pay for it in a single transaction, through a single bank, using a single credit card - one whole heck of a lot easier to reconcile, especially since it's a hold on your account until you actually check in to the hotel.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

I actually have been impressed with RC and how they have handled the refund. I had 2 cruises booked, 1 with RC and the other with another cruise line. They were both cancelled with a day of each other. I received the RC refund in a month and still waiting on the other. (I was told 90 days).

I did get an email from RC stating they are sorry for the delay and my credit should appear within a week and it did. Which I appreciated and it was obviously much different email than the one the OP received. 🙄

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Now I'm even more confused....

I cancelled my Marriott/Bonvoy reservation. I suspect they have tens of thousands of bookings/cancellations/new bookings all over the world. I had my credit card refund in 4 days.

I called my TA to cancel my AirCanada flights to Newark... just like the cruiselines, airlines facing bankruptcy, cash flow issues/likely thousands of calls daily with changes/refunds/etc. My future flight credit was emailed to me in two days.

They apparently are more prepared, but there are differences.  Future flight credit is much different than a refund and still took two days.  Doesn't sound like that was automated.  Same goes for the Marriott refund.  That took 4 days.  I get it that is better turnaround the Royal, but not automatic.  

5 hours ago, jknc said:

Think about how much time you and your travel agent spent simply trying to get your money back. How many calls did you make?

Why would anyone do business with a company like that again? I certainly won’t. 

I’ll find more joy doing other things with my money.  

You forgot to ask a key point. 

If they eliminated/modified the C&A program as a result of possible bankruptcy or limited cash flow, would they still sail with Royal?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nivrag4511 said:

I haven't read all of the replies on this thread and I may be wrong. But if they file bankruptcy don't you become an unsecured creditor and very likely to receive nothing.

The OP apparently thinks that’s a good resolution to the situation. 🤷🏻‍♀️

57 minutes ago, Clancy14 said:

OMG! Someone like you owns a business?!?!?  Boy, you must REALLY need that refund!  With your acerbic attitude, mixed with the droll sarcasm you're spouting, your business must have been bad before the shutdown. 

Stay home in NY/NJ and let the rest of us enjoy our cruises.  We don't need your verbal tantrums anywhere!

I don’t live in NE. 

6 minutes ago, nivrag4511 said:

I haven't read all of the replies on this thread and I may be wrong. But if they file bankruptcy don't you become an unsecured creditor and very likely to receive nothing.

Absolutely true for both a Chapter 11 reorganization or a Chapter 7 liquidation. The only people less likely than an unsecured creditor to get anything back are the shareholders.

I have been pleased with the way RCI has refunded faster than HAL.

And yes I will sail next year.

Remember a lot of staff working from home and go over to HAL boards and read that very few refunds have been released. RCI is doing better job as I got my FCCs for both April and May cruises as well as some credits.

Meanwhile I wait 60 days plus for my 4K credit to my card for a June HAL Norway cruise.

I am also sailing with them next year as well.

I won't abandon the cruise lines. 

7 minutes ago, singinalot said:

not sure that I agree on the ticketmaster analogy. I had a concert in Vegas for June that was cancelled this monday. I received an email that it will take over 30 days for refund. I won't expect to see that money until end of June is my guess!

My initial email said 30 days. Got it in 17 days.

Think about how much time you and your travel agent spent simply trying to get your money back. How many calls did you make?

We were offered FCC (%125) or Refund (%100) for our March 7th cruise..

Took a few weeks (nothing had to be done by us or our TA) and we got our FCC emailed to us.

Emailed the certificates to our TA and she applied the amounts to our (ALREADY BOOKED) NOVEMBER 2020 cruise and there is a healthy excess amount left. 

The excess will be applied to our (ALREADY BOOKED) JANUARY 2021 cruise ???

No work on our part or really on our travel agent's part. 

Pretty generous as far as we are concerned and effortless as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jknc said:

I have two additional cruises booked since the C-virus kicked off.  Head over to the princess board... Royal has been doing well by comparison.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yes you have. Multiple times. 

13 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yes you have. Multiple times. 

Now...now!  It’s past noon today and I haven’t mentioned it once today.

but....We are still doing great! 

• Haha 1