Refunds - any received to date?

OSUTRIKERS

51 minutes ago, PSR said:

Thank you; I checked with Air Canada a month ago and got your response of no cash refund. I also tried to use the  USDOT decision with 2 different AC people, and got the response that that decision didn't apply to them ??? They were going with the Canadian government decision that the 24 month future credit was fine.

I am thinking about a CC dispute now, but still waiting to get HAL to clear, which I mention in post #202 in this thread. Trying to keep everything separated so it doesn't get too confusing. I've already disputed one other flight and 3 HAL shorex refunds...with satisfying results.

There's a thread on Flyertalk about this, and one of the respondents created a template you can use for the DOT complaint: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32405601-post427.html. It has screenshots from Air Canada's website showing that the airline retroactively changed its cancellation policy for tickets already sold (going from offering refunds for canceled flights or scheduled changes to only offering refunds for cancellations deemed within the airline's control, which of course is up to them to decide). Hopefully this comes in handy. I submitted a refund request 5 weeks ago (for flights which would have been 2 weeks ago) and haven't received a response.

42 minutes ago, kazu said:

Air Canada is in breech of the DOT regulations if your flight was flying from/going to the U.S.  If you do the complaint with DOT they should make them refund.  

Not sure which is faster - a CC dispute or a DOT complaint.

There is a FB page which is quite helpful on the Canadian airline disputes.

Of interest, West Jet has just acquiesced for U.S. flights so it’s possible that Air Canada may follow suit if there are enough complaints.  

I'm hoping the DOT can force them to refund since, according to one of the posters in the Flyertalk thread, AmEx is inexplicably siding with AC on chargebacks...

Edited by strickerj

6 hours ago, PSR said:

I am thinking about a CC dispute now, but still waiting to get HAL to clear, which I mention in post #202 in this thread.

The post I'm refering to is now post #223; I guess there are so many posts that the numbers can't keep up. When I wrote my response, it WAS post #202.

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Air Canada is in breech of the DOT regulations if your flight was flying from/going to the U.S.  If you do the complaint with DOT they should make them refund.  
  Yes, we were flying from the US to Canada
Not sure which is faster - a CC dispute or a DOT complaint.

How do you do a DOT complaint (I assume that is the USDOT)?
There is a FB page which is quite helpful on the Canadian airline disputes.

Thank you, I am familiar with that, but wasn't sure how to use it to make a complaint.
Of interest, West Jet has just acquiesced for U.S. flights so it’s possible that Air Canada may follow suit if there are enough complaints.

That is what I have heard and am hoping for....probably the easiest method of refund, but will it take as long as the cruise lines....?

On 5/19/2020 at 8:52 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

And really, with interest rates as low as they are, would interest even be enough to cause a 1099? Or buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks?

I just noticed a big typo on my post. The upgrade to the Neptune Suite was ($2058.00) not exactly chicken feed. I am vision-impaired and can't always see what I have typed. I wish an upgrade was only $208.00! My credit card dispute was eventually settled, and I received a refund for the entire amount of the April 6th cancelled cruise. . My husband did NOT file a dispute, and he is still waiting for HAL to refund his money. 

Edited by BobbiSox

Just checked our credit card account this morning and see we received our refund for our cancelled Holland America April 5 cruise. We chose the full refund option on March 15 and now have been made whole! So, the refunds are coming!

• Thanks 1

@PSR I couldn’t quote your question as you posted within my quote;

You asked: “Thank you, I am familiar with that, but wasn't sure how to use it to make a complaint.”

The FB page you are familiar with (Air Passenger Rights (Canada)) has a template on it for the DOT complaint and yes, it is the US Dot.  You can email the complaint.

Just in case it is of help.

We just received our full HAL refund over two credit cards for the Alaska/Cruise tour.  We also received a refund from Alaska air. West Jet would not refund us but gave the full credit to use for two years and can be extended for a $45 fee.

• Thanks 1

I have now received full refund on everything for my cancelled Nieuw Amsterdam cruise March 14.. I am very happy with HAL.. Nothing about my free cruise yet.. also sending me a check for expenses (320)

We received a small refund on our CC over the weekend from HAL (we had selected the FCC) for our April Transatlantic cruise that HAL cancelled mid-March. The odd thing is the amount refunded matches neither the port fees/taxes for one of us nor for both (it’s more than one, but less than combined). Our TA might can figure it out, or more refunds equal to the combined port fees/taxes still might be coming. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by 2inSETexas

2 hours ago, erber said:

Just checked our credit card account this morning and see we received our refund for our cancelled Holland America April 5 cruise. We chose the full refund option on March 15 and now have been made whole! So, the refunds are coming!

We also just received our refund for the April 5 cruise.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OSUTRIKERS said:

Bvocruise, what was the date of your Alaska cruise tour?  We were starting Anchorage May 28, to Denali, then 31st on cruise.  We submitted for refund April 14.  Nothing yet.

The actual tour was to start on 6/10 but we were going to fly in to Fairbanks this past Sat.  We cancelled around 3/15.

54 minutes ago, igar39 said:

Received refund today.  Cancelled March 27 cruise on March 19.  So took 81 days for the refund to be posted to credit card.   

Got our FCC refund today.  

It had a long journey.  We originally booked an Apr 2020 Cuba cruise while onboard in Mar 2019, but in June Cuba itinerary was dropped, so we moved the booking (with OBB perks) to a Sea of Cortes cruise in Oct 2020.  Then in Mar 2020 we moved our Apr 2020 river cruise to Oct, conflicting with the HAL cruise.  We had our TA cancel our HAL cruise Mar 23 and the deposit was turned into a FCC.  I called HAL Mar 30 to request the FCC refund.  Got it today.  70 days.

We also had a Princess FCC that I requested a refund on the same day.  Both of them came through today, on the same credit card, even though they were both originally on different credit cards.

Edited by Shmoo here