What should a new HAL CEO bring back to ships ?

rotjeknor

On 5/21/2020 at 1:45 PM, RuthC said:

Actually I closed the Tropic Bar on the ss Rotterdam. I was the last passenger ever out of the Tropic Bar on that Rotterdam. In those days it closed at 2:00 AM, after opening at 11:00.
I was the last passenger out of the Piano Bar on various HAL ships on 151 consecutive cruise nights. Then they started closing down earlier and earlier. It's as if HAL is forcing us to go to bed right after dinner. 

Closed the bar there many times with J.J..

13 hours ago, Marigold252 said:

I'd like to see our Mariner points be valid for both HAL and Seabourn. 

7 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I'd like to see it across the entire Carnival Corp, like they do across RCCL. 

Actually, I don't think I know of any cruise lines that combine points with other brands.  RCCL gives reciprocity for statuses and only for the middle levels.  The lowest levels on any of these lines means nothing to their partners, and one RCCL, one Celebrity, and one Azamara cruise leaves me with nothing more than the individual parts.  The only line I know that gives any partner benefits at the lowest level is HAL.  While I am now a 4-star mariner I am probably entitled to more with HAL from my 4 Carnival cruises than I am with Carnival, a cocktail party and a luncheon vs a mere bottle of water from Carnival.  I don't know if MSC gives anything for a starting level but I doubt if it's much.

Roy

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I don't know if MSC gives anything for a starting level but I doubt if it's much.

What MSC does do is to match your highest guest status on whatever cruise line, hotel award program, etc. to their appropriate Voyager's Club program.  As a 5 Star Mariner, I became a Diamond level member in MSC's Voyager's Club.  That's their highest level of past guest recognition.

5 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

IMHO the biggest thing they could bring back is clear and honest communication about itinerary changes and whatever else would be in the customers best interest to make informed decisions.

+1

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 4:40 AM, HamOp said:

Also, how about getting some decent IT people to do a usable web page.

I can tell you it is not an easy thing - however, it is doable! Think about your experience with trying to do things on the website:

• Finding ways to spend more money: easy.
  • Finding a cruise: not as easy (especially when you have search criteria that are not supported - you are stuck with trying to find the needle in the haystack).
  • Finding factual information: horrible.

When you look at the list, it is clear that management is telling the web team what to implement and how to implement it. As a retired software developer (and current website implementer), I know it is not easy to make a "good" website. First, the software people have to stand up to management and tell them that "usability" is Job #1. Of course, then they have to deliver...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, What was that? said:

I can tell you it is not an easy thing - however, it is doable! Think about your experience with trying to do things on the website:

• Finding ways to spend more money: easy.
  • Finding a cruise: not as easy (especially when you have search criteria that are not supported - you are stuck with trying to find the needle in the haystack).
  • Finding factual information: horrible.

When you look at the list, it is clear that management is telling the web team what to implement and how to implement it. As a retired software developer (and current website implementer), I know it is not easy to make a "good" website. First, the software people have to stand up to management and tell them that "usability" is Job #1. Of course, then they have to deliver...

That little thing crawling around in my avatar is left over from the last time I tried to code by hand.😂

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 6:26 PM, Himself said:

There were also copies put in the library on  port days on the S and R class ships.

Yes but not now, correct? 

Seeing    the Neptune suites no longer receive   the news papers,, I would be very    surprised  they are still delivered to  the library  Either HAL still gets  the newpapers in port for distribution or they do  not...  I sailed a "R" class ship  two  cruises  in May (2020)  in Neptune suite and never received a newspaper placed in my cabin such as used to be done.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What MSC does do is to match your highest guest status on whatever cruise line, hotel award program, etc. to their appropriate Voyager's Club program.  As a 5 Star Mariner, I became a Diamond level member in MSC's Voyager's Club.  That's their highest level of past guest recognition.

What does MSC provide their highest level guests, as associated with being loyal 'repeaters'?

4 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

What does MSC provide their highest level guests, as associated with being loyal 'repeaters'?

Respectfully, I ask that you access the MSC web site for details about those perks.  For those guests that want to avail themselves of those perks, I am sure they would be enjoyed.  As a YC guest on MSC Meraviglia, other than having a Diamond Level Black card that was recognized by crew, i.e, a bartender outside of YC, I did not see much difference.  When the crew member saw that I was also a YC guest, the service improved more.

A patronage to a specialty restaurant was included.  But, the menu was limited for such a visit.  One could order beyond that limit, but, it was not "free".  I preferred to dine in the YC Restaurant.   

• 3 weeks later...

We love HAL and, like most, have noticed a lot of changes over the years.

Keep:

BB King (my husband finds it too loud but puts ear plugs in to reduce the sound to a level that is tolerable for him and that way he can still accompany me)

Ditch:

Orange Club - why can someone buy perks that many of us have spent years getting by being loyal HAL cruisers?

Oprah - not everyone wants to do yoga that early in the morning

Bring Back:

Cooking classes - once America's Kitchen left (not really a favourite) 5*s lost the free cooking class perk

Guest Speakers 

Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Barkevko said:

Ditch:

Orange Club - why can someone buy perks that many of us have spent years getting by being loyal HAL cruisers?

Oprah - not everyone wants to do yoga that early in the morning

13 hours ago, Barkevko said:

Bring Back:

Guest Speakers 

May I add guest speakers who really know about which they speak?  I have heard many.  Most were excellent to good.  One specific woman on the 2008 world cruise who was a media personality of some type in Hong Kong was a "name dropper" of the nth degree.  So promising initially; so disappointing in fact.    

• Like 1

I meant to mention this earlier: Implement a policy that chipped china in the MDR should be replaced. On our last HAL cruise - Oosterdam, Panama Canal, West to East - many of the dishes served at our table were chipped. I don't know if I should consider it a health problem, but it really shows a lack of attention to detail, and let's face it, the MDR is not your local diner.

Another bank of elevators on the Koningsdam would be great. On that class of ship they added capacity for an additional 500 guests, or so, beyond the Eurodam and no additional elevators. Therefore much longer waits for the 'vators. That said, in the post-Covid world the cruise ships might be running with much lower passenger counts and this problem might be resolved. So, Ashford's original lack of foresight on the elevators may turn into a demonstration of great vision!

Let's call this "adjacent" to the original title of this topic, but I would like HAL (and gas stations, car dealers, ...) to drive a stake in the heart of "9" prices. You know, where every cruise is priced ending in 9, or 99, or 999 - whatever. Be honest and call it $2,100, for instance. Same applies to fees, such as for shore excursions: stop charging $29.99 and just round it off to $30.

I would like to give credit where due, so HAL already charges in round number for the Pinnacle Grill and a couple of other things like a bottle of liquor ordered from Ship Services for consumption in the stateroom.

OK, I'll go back and sit quietly...

• Like 3

I would like the new leadership at HAL to decide exactly what their target market it and stick to it for more than a month.  Market to that segment and ensure a reasonable degree of consistency. between and across the fleet. 

Above all, fire the IT leadership and  cancel any contractual arrangements with any contractors who currently design/manage the customer facing IT systems.   Engage some people who actually have expertise in the area and know what they are doing.

• Like 4

On 5/24/2020 at 4:29 PM, sail7seas said:

Yes but not now, correct? 

Seeing    the Neptune suites no longer receive   the news papers,, I would be very    surprised  they are still delivered to  the library  Either HAL still gets  the newpapers in port for distribution or they do  not...  I sailed a "R" class ship  two  cruises  in May (2020)  in Neptune suite and never received a newspaper placed in my cabin such as used to be done.

You did 2 cruises in May 2020?  Perhaps last year?

Aside from that, I would like to see the Crows Nests returned to the way they used to be, with a bar, service, and music in the evenings.  It used to be a great place to gather pre or post dinner.

• Like 2

We were on the 2017 World Cruise on the Amsterdam – LA to FTL. We visited Korea, Japan & China in February. It was cold. It snowed during our visit to Beijing – the crew made snowmen on the ship. The ship was cold during this time especially the Lido Market buffet on the top deck which was surrounded by windows that let the cold in.

Orlando visited our cruise for a week. He hosted a town hall meeting. A passenger asked why the ship was so cold. Orlando could not answer so an engineer type officer said the following.

The air conditioning is controlled by HAL headquarters in Seattle. They turn the heat off from midnight to 6am. Also the ship failed to bring adequate repair parts and replacement filters for the A/C system. Can you imagine that for a 100 day voyage!!!

But, this affected us personally. The heat in our cabin broke during Feb & March and the ship could never repair it. Finally at the Beijing port, they brought us an oil heater (electric) that heated enough so we could shower.

5 hours ago, jrblach said:

A passenger asked why the ship was so cold. Orlando could not answer so an engineer type officer said the following.

The air conditioning is controlled by HAL headquarters in Seattle. They turn the heat off from midnight to 6am.

I am aware of complaints from Senior Officers of micro management from Seattle.  Your experience only re-forces what I have been told.  As the years have past, the micro management has increased.  Maybe, in this "new day and age", such Executives who have engaged in this will either be "on the beach" or find a more productive role to play in the Company.