Already a storm brewing

BlerkOne

From the National Hurricane Center web site.

ZCZC MIATWOAT ALL 
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM CCA

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 AM EDT Wed May 13 2020

Corrected to remove double labels

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued to discuss the potential 
for subtropical development this weekend northeast of the 
Bahamas.

1. A broad area of low pressure is expected to develop late this 
week or early this weekend near or within a couple of hundred miles 
north of the Bahamas. Environmental conditions appear conducive for 
gradual development of this system, and a subtropical depression or 
storm is likely to form this weekend while it moves northeastward 
over the western Atlantic. The next Special Tropical Weather Outlook 
on this system will be issued by 9 PM EDT Wednesday, or earlier, if 
necessary.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...70 percent.

Forecaster Latto

18 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We're cruising for the first time ever the end of August.  So if we get through this pandemic, we have hurricane season to sweat.  

Don't sweat the hurricanes too much. They normally just avoid them. Though one cruise we were within 90 miles of the eye of hurricane Katrina. But even that wasn't too bad. Very dark and very rainy, but the sailing conditions weren't that rough at all and all indoor activities went on as normal.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We're cruising for the first time ever the end of August.  So if we get through this pandemic, we have hurricane season to sweat.  

Truthfully, it’s not much to worry about. If you’re on a ship, most of the time you’ll get an itinerary change or you’ll sail around it. You may be delayed by a little bit if it hits during embarkation but hurricanes generally aren’t that bad. Just go with the flow and you’ll be good 🙂 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Also saw that a typhoon is forming off the Philippines.  Aren't there like 20 cruise ships hanging out there now?

I am thinking of a Forest Gump shrimp boat situation for the last remaining boat, LOL

I've cruised in September several times.  Two of those times the itinerary was altered due to hurricanes.  Although I was disappointed because I booked those cruises for the ports, I was thankful that our cruises were sailing.  There's always a risk during hurricane season.  I will say that the weather was wonderful on both of those cruises because we sailed around bad weather.  

• Like 2

We cruised in sept and our itinerary was changed as we boarded. We rushed to cancel and rebook excursions. At the welcome show they changed their mind. Brides to be had weddings in st thomas and other ports. They had thrown a fit. So into the storm we went and hugged coast of cuba.  We had fun but it was a rocking wet cruise even in st thomas. 

On 5/13/2020 at 3:48 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

Hi,

My family has been vacationing the last 22 years (from around August 23rd to Labor Day Weekend). Cruises to the Caribbean, land vacations in Mexico, Hawaii & Puerto Rico. Always HOT & HUMID weather, threat of hurricane’s too. 

The closest we got was ...

**2017 Puerto Rico land vacay.  We left the island for our flight home on that Sunday of Labor Day Weekend. Then we saw on the news that the 1st of those 2 hurricanes hit PR on Wednesday. The BIG Hurricane Maria came in after that, not sure of the exact day.

**  Then I think about 2014 or 2015 we stayed in Orlando for 4 days before our cruise. It was nasty HARD rain, thunder & lightening daily. Hurricane warning for Florida!!   But... by our Sunday cruise departure, we were all good to go. 

That’s our hurricane experience in over two decades of traveling in the Hurricane Season.

To add, we’ve grown to love vacationing during this time of year. For land —- Hotel prices are much lower and occupancy rate is usually very low too! As our restaurants & attractions. Cruises always are busy, but from what I understand not nearly as busy as during Spring Break Season, Christmas & prime Summer Vacation Time.

If you are like us, the odds are everything will be good. So, IF your cruise goes forward, have a wonderful time!  Try not to worry too much beforehand. We can’t change the weather ...

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18

While some say this is too early and rare, there has been at least 1 early storm each year since 2015.  I think 2016 had 2 before June.   At the moment this is just a low with lots of rain.  Hurricane hunters out tomorrow.  But let's hope the zealous storm namers don't waste a storm name on a sub tropical depression that goes away quicker than it formed, like they have often done in the past.