Yes Buffets really are gross

tocruiseguy

21 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

What about the people who are exercising on the pool deck sweating like crazy then jump in pool to cool off without showering. They jump in I get out. YUK! Saw it with my own eyes. 

You do realize that you are in the pool with every other persons skin cells, hair (head and other places), snot, body fluids and dingleberries? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, STIguy said:

You do realize that you are in the pool with every other persons skin cells, hair (head and other places), snot, body fluids and dingleberries? 

Yes, Just like the pools. It is not the buffet that makes it gross, it people that make the buffet undesirable to some. Same with the public bathrooms on a cruise ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, STIguy said:

Yikes! Guess I'll stick to sunbathing. If it gets too hot theres a shower behind me.

• Like 2

What about men who emit loud, juicy farts? (Would a lady ever do that?)

Standing in a buffet lines when someone does that can be quite disconcerting, especially if it is a long, drawn out, affair with a little "pop" at the end. Maybe a little "matter" is expressed with the final "pop"? Yuck. 

But the worst offenders must be those who drop a silent and deadly fart? With no noise to attract attention, the "offender" can slip away before the pungent aroma circulates. I've often wondered what health impact there must be on other people in a closed environment such as a cruise ship?

I guess there's no restriction on farting in cruise ship buffets, restaurants and other public areas?

Paul in Australia

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, pn1 said:

Standing in a buffet lines when someone does that can be quite disconcerting, especially if it is a long, drawn out, affair with a little "pop" at the end. Maybe a little "matter" is expressed with the final "pop"? Yuck. 

But the worst offenders must be those who drop a silent and deadly fart? With no noise to attract attention, the "offender" can slip away before the pungent aroma circulates. I've often wondered what health impact there must be on other people in a closed environment such as a cruise ship?

I guess there's no restriction on farting in cruise ship buffets, restaurants and other public areas?

Paul in Australia

Are you speaking for yourself, sharing all your tricks and experiences. 🤣

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pn1 said:

Elevator definitely a no go. Everywhere else on the ship is a free fire zone.

1 hour ago, pn1 said:

Paul in Australia

image.png.63769f05975bd301c1049fde042a0f

On 5/17/2020 at 1:02 PM, poffles said:

This makes me think how coughing and sneezing into one's hands use to be the norm and nobody gave it a second thought, now when I see someone do that I am appalled and disgusted.   We are now at a new level of that.

I've learned to cough or sneeze into the crook of my elbow and not my hands.  Much more sanitary, but still kinda gross too.  lol!

Edited by K.T.B.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

It is not the buffet that makes it gross, it people that make the buffet undesirable to some. Same with the public bathrooms on a cruise ship.

If you read the " disgusting garbage " that's recently been posted on this thread I see exactly who you are talking about !!!!  How would you like to be at a dinner table beside any of them ??

• Like 2

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

Are you speaking for yourself, sharing all your tricks and experiences. 🤣

He's the person standing behind me in line on a hot sweltering deck during a muster drill. Nowhere to escape. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, davekathy said:

You've got our attention. 

I like them for the variety.  If there is sushi I'll try that.  I assume there's a lot of turn over.  Wouldn't mind having some mac and cheese.

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I like them for the variety.  If there is sushi I'll try that.  I assume there's a lot of turn over.  Wouldn't mind having some mac and cheese.

Now if they served lobster mac n cheese I may consider buffets.  Sushi? Not in a buffet I get fantastic sushi in Toronto. 

Whoever thinks buffets on cruise ships are gross has absolutely no idea about what's going on in the kitchen of everyday restaurants all over the world including good ol' 'Murica.

In fact most peoples cellphone, key chain and car seat is more unhygienic than the buffet on a cruise but hey, I tend to say if it makes you feel better just stay away and eat at an a la carte restaurant if you think it's so much better. Spoiler alert: It isn't!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Now if they served lobster mac n cheese I may consider buffets.  Sushi? Not in a buffet I get fantastic sushi in Toronto. 

I don't compare ship food to what I get at home.  It doesn't compare.  Aren't lobsters the scavengers of the sea?  They eat anything?

I'm pleased my posting earlier today created a few laughs but anyone who's been on a cruise would certainly have experienced the behaviour I related. 

At the same time, I have never had any food issues in cruise ship buffets other than, if you are dining alone. someone often takes your seat if you leave briefly to get some more food.

Anyway, it looks as thought it may be quite some time before any of us are exposed to such behaviour.

Regards from Paul in Australia  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Whoever thinks buffets on cruise ships are gross has absolutely no idea about what's going on in the kitchen of everyday restaurants all over the world including good ol' 'Murica.

In fact most peoples cellphone, key chain and car seat is more unhygienic than the buffet on a cruise but hey, I tend to say if it makes you feel better just stay away and eat at an a la carte restaurant if you think it's so much better. Spoiler alert: It isn't!

I hate to bring this up but you are correct.   As a retired LEO you learn a lot about establishments when you have to go into them at 3:00A.M. on a burglar alarm.   

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

I hate to bring this up but you are correct.   As a retired LEO you learn a lot about establishments when you have to go into them at 3:00A.M. on a burglar alarm.   

I assume the fire started in 3 places and there was no money in the cash register ??