Yes Buffets really are gross

tocruiseguy

8 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

Upon entering the buffet there are always at least one attendant making everyone wash their hands in purell.  Doesn't that work?

I love the Celebrity salad bars.  Tongs are used to pickup the lettuce and other items.  I have never seen anyone at a Celebrity buffet salad bar try to pick up an item with their fingers.

Are there germs on the tongs, perhaps, but I haven't gotten sick on 20 ocean and 4 river cruises.

I noticed after two Royal C. cruises that a large portion of the buffet is not self service, but service by attendants.

Perhaps that is the way to go, have attendants serve.

But as soon as someone touches his mouth, caughs, sneezes etc the germs are back and then you grab tongs etc. The concept of the buffet is not feasible, since it always has been a incubator for viruses spreading onboard with COVID-19 the cruiselines have no other choice than to think of a new and safer concept.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Do you really think things are any better behind the kitchen doors in dining rooms?  Likely much worse.  How do you know that "he infected everything he touched with his dirty hands?"  We have no idea where yours have been before you walk into an MDR.  

Actually I trust the kitchens of cruise ships much more than my local restaurant.  They know that they have to practice good hygiene in the ship's galleys or they could have a wide spread infection impacting hundreds or thousands of passengers.  I trust the employees much more than my fellow passengers.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

I'd love to see them do a similar experiment with every day situations.  Like using a revolving door, or riding an elevator, or using a shopping cart while going through the store.  I'd be willing to bet the transference rate is MUCH higher than that of a buffet.

HUGE transference on phones, TV remotes, bathroom faucets, flushers, and plane tables and armrests, and doorknobs.  They have done these experiments.   However, we are mostly aware of those, wash our hands before exiting a bathroom, hand sanitize, I carry sani wipes with me at all times and in a plane/hotel room, etc, wipe down those surfaces.  My DH always thought me a bit wacko (I am a nurse, so pretty aware of germs), but now is a true convert.  If anything, this pandemic has made us rethink and change habits to prevent diseases.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

Actually I trust the kitchens of cruise ships much more than my local restaurant.  They know that they have to practice good hygiene in the ship's galleys or they could have a wide spread infection impacting hundreds or thousands of passengers.  I trust the employees much more than my fellow passengers.  

Me to, you only have to do a galley tour to see the standards they adhere to.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

Upon entering the buffet there are always at least one attendant making everyone wash their hands in purell.  Doesn't that work?

I love the Celebrity salad bars.  Tongs are used to pickup the lettuce and other items.  I have never seen anyone at a Celebrity buffet salad bar try to pick up an item with their fingers.

Are there germs on the tongs, perhaps, but I haven't gotten sick on 20 ocean and 4 river cruises.

I noticed after two Royal C. cruises that a large portion of the buffet is not self service, but service by attendants.

Perhaps that is the way to go, have attendants serve.

Not witnessing doesn't mean nasty doesn't happen.  I watched a lady (on Celebrity) take the serving spoon out of something and use her finger to swipe it to taste (think it was a waffle topping or something) and liking it she was about to take the same spoon to dish some ... I caught her just before she did it and said something ...  I don't think she even realized she was doing it as she reacted surprised with herself instead of being reactive to me. Sadly this would certainly not be the only story that peeps could share.

I will add that I have never gotten sick either of all the times eating in the buffet but I am not entirely opposed to them doing some sort of 'sheltering' the food.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, NonnaTLC said:

HUGE transference on phones, TV remotes, bathroom faucets, flushers, and plane tables and armrests, and doorknobs.  They have done these experiments.   However, we are mostly aware of those, wash our hands before exiting a bathroom, hand sanitize, I carry sani wipes with me at all times and in a plane/hotel room, etc, wipe down those surfaces.  My DH always thought me a bit wacko (I am a nurse, so pretty aware of germs), but now is a true convert.  If anything, this pandemic has made us rethink and change habits to prevent diseases.  

This makes me think how coughing and sneezing into one's hands use to be the norm and nobody gave it a second thought, now when I see someone do that I am appalled and disgusted.   We are now at a new level of that.

Edited by poffles

26 minutes ago, poffles said:

This makes me think how coughing and sneezing into one's hands use to be the norm and nobody gave it a second thought, now when I see someone do that I am appalled and disgusted.   We are now at a new level of that.

I cough all the time but have congestive heart failure, people don’t know that though.

• Like 1

Just now, dkjretired said:

I cough all the time but have congestive heart failure, people don’t know that though.

OH I wasn't referring to coughing itself, it's the coughing without cover and coughing into ones hands then immediately touching things (opening a door etc).

• Like 1

I am working on a device sort of like the exploding dye packets that bank robbers get that will spread brown color on people who leave a public bathroom without thoroughly washing their hands. 

Social shaming is all the rage and it works. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poffles said:

Actually the proper way to cover a cough or sneeze is to aim into your elbow, if you don’t have a Kleenex. 😉

image.jpeg.0f8484db785c92d07dcf29c27a3c4442.jpeg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Actually the proper way to cover a cough or sneeze is to aim into your elbow, if you don’t have a Kleenex. 😉

image.jpeg.0f8484db785c92d07dcf29c27a3c4442.jpeg

Yes I know, thus my point.  Tell that to the others that don't seem to get that even after years and years of education that has been out there on this 😉

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, STIguy said:

I am working on a device sort of like the exploding dye packets that bank robbers get that will spread brown color on people who leave a public bathroom without thoroughly washing their hands. 

Social shaming is all the rage and it works. 

Similar to turning the pool water colour for those that ummmm ... pee in  the pool 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, poffles said:

Similar to turning the pool water colour for those that ummmm ... pee in  the pool 🙂

Don't sweat it. Everybody did this at least once in public pool as a kid.

• Haha 1

best buffet experience: recent cruise where my wife and i are enjoying our lunch at the buffet and we see a 500lb man and his 300 lb wife walk up to the salad bar and rather than use the utensils to scoop out a serving of egg and chicken salad, they merely take the two big stainless containers, put them in their scooters, add a bag of crackers and fruit and leave the room..Maybe they were more sanitary than most, but my wife and i got up without finishing our lunch and went to the gym..He did not leave the serving spoon, so i think it was nice on his part..Makes us think if the ending of buffets will have a positive effect on the health of america.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, retired dude said:

best buffet experience: recent cruise where my wife and i are enjoying our lunch at the buffet and we see a 500lb man and his 300 lb wife walk up to the salad bar and rather than use the utensils to scoop out a serving of egg and chicken salad, they merely take the two big stainless containers, put them in their scooters, add a bag of crackers and fruit and leave the room..Maybe they were more sanitary than most, but my wife and i got up without finishing our lunch and went to the gym..He did not leave the serving spoon, so i think it was nice on his part..Makes us think if the ending of buffets will have a positive effect on the health of america.....

😲  I'm no size 2 and do not make the gym my home on a cruise (or anywhere LOL) so who am I to judge, so size aside that is totally bizarre no matter who did this.  Us humans are an interesting species 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 9:50 AM, TeeRick said:

Another gross buffet thread.

Never ends does it?.they still keep going to the buffet though so they can complain.its like living with my elderly mother.always something to complain about.

Just now, scpirate said:

Never ends does it?.they still keep going to the buffet though so they can complain.its like living with my elderly mother.always something to complain about.

Don't know about others but I go for the food, entertainment is just thrown in.  🤣No complaining here, the buffet is my go to.

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Don't sweat it. Everybody did this at least once in public pool as a kid.

LOL--- Ever see how long some people stay in the pool on Celebrity Cruise Lines without having to-----etc, etc.?

It's easy to tell because their eyes look around at the sky and they get a blank look on their face.

No, Dude, I'm not talking from experience . 

On 5/16/2020 at 3:16 PM, K.T.B. said:

I'd love to see them do a similar experiment with every day situations.  Like using a revolving door, or riding an elevator, or using a shopping cart while going through the store.  I'd be willing to bet the transference rate is MUCH higher than that of a buffet.

I agree, and why the bug is everywhere and killing people everywhere!

Wash wash wash and wear that mask!

2 hours ago, retired dude said:

500 lb and 300lb, do you have a scale?    I got to see this one 😄

14 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Ever see how long some people stay in the pool on Celebrity Cruise Lines without having to-----etc, etc.?

What about the people who are exercising on the pool deck sweating like crazy then jump in pool to cool off without showering. They jump in I get out. YUK! Saw it with my own eyes. 

• Like 1