Yes Buffets really are gross

tocruiseguy

29 minutes ago, Banjo said:

Why would they do that? On many of the cruises, if the total # of elites or higher are low, they already have a system with a menu. If they have to do it cafeteria style, they could do with limited staff with so few food options they now offer.

I find it relaxing. I am not big fan of the buffet or spending the morning in the MDR.

Since this thread is about self serve buffets I was strictly talking about the cruises that had the limited breakfast buffet (self serve) for elite and above in the Tuscan Grill that do not offer the limited breakfast menu. If the CC decided to go strictly limited breakfast menu with the servers serving like some cruises offer that would work. But not all cruises did offer that option. The OVC will still be a buffet but will have servers plating your selection(s) as you walk the line for the different selections. 

Edited by davekathy

On 5/14/2020 at 8:22 AM, tocruiseguy said:

I always hated buffets on the ships, especially the time I was washing my hands in the washroom right outside the Oceanview cafe and a guy walked right out of the stall past the sinks.  Witnessed him spooning food on his plate, infected everything he touched with his dirty hands.  When cruising starts up again the buffets need to be removed permanently.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/japanese-experiment-showcases-how-quickly-viruses-can-spread-at-buffets

I would like to agree with you about the disgusting habits MANY passengers have. One of our pet peeves is: we ALWAYS see fellow passengers in the breakfast buffet lines dressed in their pajamas, hair not combed, sleep still in their eyes, some barefoot! Think about this: when you get out of bed what is the first thing that 90% of humans do?  RIGHT! They go to the bathroom! IF someone does not wash the sleep out of their eyes, does not comb or brush their hair, does not get dressed what chance is it that they washed their hands!

GROSS!

We have had some of these “people” in front of us in line and we have requested new serving pieces provide! BUT they are the obvious ones! What about all the other pigs that did not wash their hands?

We have seen lots of people walk right past the ship personnel with the “Hand Sanitizer”.

i do not see anyway that we can be safe on a ship. I see no way to ensure people wash their hands and they are pushing button outside of and in the elevators, their hands are on escalator and stairway hand rails. 
My husband has a compromised immune system. I see NO way for him to be safe on any ship!

6 hours ago, luvbluseas said:

I would like to agree with you about the disgusting habits MANY passengers have. One of our pet peeves is: we ALWAYS see fellow passengers in the breakfast buffet lines dressed in their pajamas, hair not combed, sleep still in their eyes, some barefoot! Think about this: when you get out of bed what is the first thing that 90% of humans do?  RIGHT! They go to the bathroom! IF someone does not wash the sleep out of their eyes, does not comb or brush their hair, does not get dressed what chance is it that they washed their hands!

GROSS!

We have had some of these “people” in front of us in line and we have requested new serving pieces provide! BUT they are the obvious ones! What about all the other pigs that did not wash their hands?

We have seen lots of people walk right past the ship personnel with the “Hand Sanitizer”.

i do not see anyway that we can be safe on a ship. I see no way to ensure people wash their hands and they are pushing button outside of and in the elevators, their hands are on escalator and stairway hand rails. 
My husband has a compromised immune system. I see NO way for him to be safe on any ship!

Believe it or not I have had people come to my home for a meal who use my washroom without washing hands afterwards and I've had to tell them. Better they are offended than us getting sick.  Fussy! 

6 hours ago, luvbluseas said:

GROSS!

FYI, I avoid the hand sanitizers and am very respectful to the workers. I am allergic to many of them so don’t take the chance. I know that there are others on this board with the same experience. I have way more than a compromised immune system.

Edited by dkjretired

10 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Just saw this today:  LINK

So using a buffet may not be as bad as one thinks.  There's never any guarantee, of course, but it's not a "sure thing" that you'll catch the virus.

Thank you.  Yes this was a very big revelation this week from CDC that a lot of the media has missed- or chosen to ignore since it dampens the hysteria a bit.  It seems that the virus is not long-lived on most surfaces.

19 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

If Celebrity turns its buffet into a dining room with menu service, we will be unlikely to ever sail with Celebrity again.  We love the convenience and variety of the buffet.  We usually go to the main dining room for a few nights for dinner and then get bored with it, or disappointed with the food, and start having dinner (as well as breakfast and lunch) in the buffet.  Not everything in the buffet is good, but we can always find something we like.  Not so with a set menu. The buffet is especially appealing at night because so few people are there.

I think that all cruise lines might take a similar approach so not just Celebrity.  The buffet is a cornerstone of cruising for a lot of people so it certainly will come back at some point.  But perhaps with increased sanitary procedures.  A good thing in my mind.  I find it highly ironic that RCCL is eliminating the buffet as we know it to respond to a virus that is spread by respiratory droplets and not really by contaminated surfaces (most recent CDC reports).  But cruiselines have not considered dropping the buffet or changing it to combat the norovirus which is spread by contact.

@TeeRick Yep, that’s what I’ve been saying all along.

However, Celebrity doesn’t surprise me. After all, they have to follow CDC guidelines and win back customer confidence. And customers seem to be the ones blaming it all on the buffet.

Just as you said, Covid-19 is primarily transmitted by droplets and aerosols and the risk of contact contamination is around or less than 10%. Yet, I don’t read too many demands about suspending the shows, bars and social hours. Despite the fact that they provide ideal conditions for the virus to spread.

5 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

@TeeRick Yep, that’s what I’ve been saying all along.

However, Celebrity doesn’t surprise me. After all, they have to follow CDC guidelines and win back customer confidence. And customers seem to be the ones blaming it all on the buffet.

Just as you said, Covid-19 is primarily transmitted by droplets and aerosols and the risk of contact contamination is around or less than 10%. Yet, I don’t read too many demands about suspending the shows, bars and social hours. Despite the fact that they provide ideal conditions for the virus to spread.

I'm not sure the risk is even as high as 10% for contact contamination.  Very good news really.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/20/coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-surfaces-objects-cdc/5232748002/

On 5/19/2020 at 4:16 PM, pn1 said:

Also, people from different cultures (e.g. Americans, Australians and Canadians) do tend to look at world from a variety of perspectives. 

Either you have '' class " or you don't. It doesn't matter where you are from. 

Example--Some folks ( 2 on this thread ) found something relating to '' body function " funny, others didn't comment. 

I doubt you are inferring that some Country's culture would tolerate a " slob " at a buffet or elsewhere ?

It's not the buffet that's gross--- It's " some " of the people at the buffet that are gross AND the same slobs are gross wherever they are.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I'm not sure the risk is even as high as 10% for contact contamination.  Very good news really.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/05/20/coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-surfaces-objects-cdc/5232748002/

No surprise here! My source was a more scientific one but the messages is about the same 👍

14 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

So using a buffet may not be as bad as one thinks.  There's never any guarantee, of course, but it's not a "sure thing" that you'll catch the virus.

For those who didn't check out the link ..... the title of the article is "Coronavirus 'does not spread easily' by touching surfaces or objects, CDC says. But it still 'may be possible.'"

So, buffets (which can easily be eliminated) are not such a big problem, but lack of social distancing (which is difficult for a cruise ship to achieve) is THE most important consideration.  I'd say that unless cruise ships sail at considerably less than full capacity, social distancing will be impossible to achieve.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

The problem with the buffet is more than the touching contaminated utensils or surfaces.  The problem is the big crowd of people standing around looking at the food stations, standing next to each other and leaning over each other and coughing and sneezing on each other.  Tough to maintain social distance.  Remember the issue with airborne transmission.  That's why the solution will likely be table service instead of self service.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dkjretired said:

FYI, I avoid the hand sanitizers and am very respectful to the workers. I am allergic to many of them so don’t take the chance. I know that there are others on this board with the same experience. I have way more than a compromised immune system.

Well isn't hand washing better anyway?

Count me in as somebody who really doesn't care for buffets but understands their appeal as a place that accepts a more relaxed dining atmosphere and a wider variety of hours, plus the ability to choose from a variety of foods with ease.

It was mentioned earlier but the ultimate problem with buffets in a post COVID-19 world is not so much people breathing over the open food or the touching of surfaces (this was always an issue and people need to wash their hands or at least hand sanitize before eating at a buffet to protect others from a whole lot of bad viruses and bacteria), its the enforcing of social distancing in a confined area with a bunch of people that have no mask on. Buffets are a madhouse on these cruise ships, especially for breakfast, and I think it would be pretty impossible to enforce.

But that's basically the issue with cruising in general without a proven vaccine available.  There are many times during a cruise that you are going to be surrounded by others for an extended period and those are the conditions in which this virus thrives on.

I honestly don't believe they can restart them without a rapid test (with results) being readily available before you board.  Either that or they are going to have to sail at 25% capacity combined with a ton of social distancing measures.  And I fully expect those type of measures to discourage people from cruising in the short term because who wants to risk flight, hotels, vacation money all for the chance of being denied boarding if they test positive.  Locals close to the ports likely will take advantage and be the main ones cruising.

It really is an uphill battle for the industry for the next year and I'm looking forward to see what they all come up with.  I like cruising, I am rooting for them.

• Like 1

Well, it depends on the ship. Some budget cruisers have a very poor buffet, while on some others - the buffet is fantastic. Last time with Princess we had such a nice buffet. We didnt really go eat anywhere but in buffet. It got almost everything we needed. Both for us and the kid 

36 minutes ago, kdawg954 said:

Count me in as somebody who really doesn't care for buffets but understands their appeal as a place that accepts a more relaxed dining atmosphere and a wider variety of hours, plus the ability to choose from a variety of foods with ease.

It was mentioned earlier but the ultimate problem with buffets in a post COVID-19 world is not so much people breathing over the open food or the touching of surfaces (this was always an issue and people need to wash their hands or at least hand sanitize before eating at a buffet to protect others from a whole lot of bad viruses and bacteria), its the enforcing of social distancing in a confined area with a bunch of people that have no mask on. Buffets are a madhouse on these cruise ships, especially for breakfast, and I think it would be pretty impossible to enforce.

But that's basically the issue with cruising in general without a proven vaccine available.  There are many times during a cruise that you are going to be surrounded by others for an extended period and those are the conditions in which this virus thrives on.

I honestly don't believe they can restart them without a rapid test (with results) being readily available before you board.  Either that or they are going to have to sail at 25% capacity combined with a ton of social distancing measures.  And I fully expect those type of measures to discourage people from cruising in the short term because who wants to risk flight, hotels, vacation money all for the chance of being denied boarding if they test positive.  Locals close to the ports likely will take advantage and be the main ones cruising.

It really is an uphill battle for the industry for the next year and I'm looking forward to see what they all come up with.  I like cruising, I am rooting for them.

Interesting.  Locals get sick too so I'm not sure they have the advantage.

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

Interesting.  Locals get sick too so I'm not sure they have the advantage.

Locals don’t have the cost of flights and hotels and as such have not spent all that money should they be denied boarding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2020 at 11:27 AM, Pinboy said:

Why is there another " Feature Thread " ( ??? ) on Buffets ? 

Buffets are offered in land restaurants also, yet, I never saw any " Letters to the Editor " about them .

Big deal-- either go or don't go-- We all have a " story  " about them and know what people are like whether on a ship or in a restaurant on land.  Even when additional " precautions " are in place, " Slobs " with hygiene and food handling will still be " Slobs ".

How about a new topic, like ,  '' When am I getting MY refund " or " When will we be able to cruise again " ???

Or you could opt to not even open another tedious "buffet" thread and let the rest of us that see this thread as more pertinent now than ever, talk about this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes soap and water for about 30 sec is the recommended procedure for effective hand washing.

NOW, you're talking !!!

You must have seen the 30 minute video the Canadian Govt made on this same subject. 

It's in color too -- 

24 minutes ago, frankdp said:

Or you could opt to not even open another tedious "buffet" thread and let the rest of us that see this thread as more pertinent now than ever, talk about this.

Agree. I always think it's funny when a whiner complains about a thread (no matter the topic) and still contributes/ posts to the thread. :classic_rolleyes: I prefer the CC Mods make the decision about the number of like threads and if they should be combine.  Just like going to the buffets. Individual choice. You either like them or not.    

• Like 1