Yes Buffets really are gross

tocruiseguy

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

I assume the fire started in 3 places and there was no money in the cash register ??

Well that could be in some places but I'm talking about a plain burglar alarm where you wind up searching the place to see if anyone broke in.  Quite revealing in the kitchen.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Yikes! Guess I'll stick to sunbathing. If it gets too hot theres a shower behind me.

Sunbathing is considered the new smoking...No tan you get is good for you.  Sunbathing is worse for you than anything you will get from the buffet, just takes longer...

Edited by dkjretired

18 hours ago, zitsky said:

Does anyone want to talk about buffets?

I like them.  I would highly reconsider booking a cruise without a standard buffet.  There would have to be something super stand-out otherwise.

1) I like variety.  The quality of the food in general on ships sucks compared to land-based local restaurants focused on quality and local fresh ingredients.  In terms of mediocre food, variety at least can make up for the fact that it is mediocre.

2) I like controlling my own portions. I don't want to be like, "more" or "less" all the time in a buffet and end up with tons of waste.

3) I feel like it is an acceptable level of risk for myself.  I won't be cruising and I doubt anyone will be cruising until there is a permanent solution to COVID.  In terms of noro and other enteroviruses, I feel like the data shows the risk is fairly low.  Yes it is disgusting when people don't follow the most basic hygiene rules, and I feel like they should be more strict on handwashing before you go in, but even as it is the CDC data shows the risk isn't that high.

4) i like buffet for breakfast.  There is a reason buffet is much more crowded than dining rooms for breakfast.  It's cause it's better.

5) sometimes I feel like something casual.  Again, some days don't feel like sitting down for hours for mediocre food.

6) what about second breakfast?

I'm sure i'm missing more.

Edited by UnorigionalName
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Sunbathing is considered the new smoking...No tan you get is good for you.  Sunbathing is worse for you than anything you will get from the buffet, just takes longer...

Yes well aware. I have an olive complexion tan easily and have never burned. Not that it's an excuse know the dangers.  I use SPF 60 and reapply every 2 hours.  I do love sunshine though. 

6 hours ago, Pinboy said:

What was funny about it. ??

For fear of offending anyone , I better just leave it at that .

My posting was not intended to offend. It was about what I have experienced on several cruises. Fact not fiction.I appreciate some people took it as a serious discussion as was intended but others enjoyed a laugh. What's the problem about that? Also, people from different cultures (e.g. Americans, Australians and Canadians) do tend to look at world from a variety of perspectives. Life is an ongoing experience. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Yes well aware. I have an olive complexion tan easily and have never burned. Not that it's an excuse know the dangers.  I use SPF 60 and reapply every 2 hours.  I do love sunshine though. 

I do too but it doesn’t love me, three surgeries so far for melanoma , one pretty serious.

Edited by dkjretired

2 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

1) I like variety.  The quality of the food in general on ships sucks compared to land-based local restaurants focused on quality and local fresh ingredients.  In terms of mediocre food, variety at least can make up for the fact that it is mediocre.

2) I like controlling my own portions. I don't want to be like, "more" or "less" all the time in a buffet and end up with tons of waste.

3) I feel like it is an acceptable level of risk for myself.  I won't be cruising and I doubt anyone will be cruising until there is a permanent solution to COVID.  In terms of noro and other enteroviruses, I feel like the data shows the risk is fairly low.  Yes it is disgusting when people don't follow the most basic hygiene rules, and I feel like they should be more strict on handwashing before you go in, but even as it is the CDC data shows the risk isn't that high.

4) i like buffet for breakfast.  There is a reason buffet is much more crowded than dining rooms for breakfast.  It's cause it's better. 

5) sometimes I feel like something casual.  Again, some days don't feel like sitting down for hours for mediocre food.

6) what about second breakfast?

I'm sure i'm missing more.

I agree with all 6 of your points. I was surprised how much your points resonated with me. As for #4, I would add that on cruises I generally do not awaken early enough to get to the MDR for breakfast. MDR closes at 9:00 as I recall, maybe 9:30 on some cruises; much too early for my cruise routine. 

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 11:31 AM, drakes2 said:

What about the people who are exercising on the pool deck sweating like crazy then jump in pool to cool off without showering. They jump in I get out. YUK! Saw it with my own eyes. 

We don't use the pool on cruises, but we do like to use the hot tubs.

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

I do too but it doesn’t love me, three surgeries so far for melanoma , one pretty serious.

Sorry to hear that it is serious. Lots of shade around the ship you can enjoy. Stay healthy so you can cruise again  when it starts. 

2 hours ago, SFCAcruiser said:

I agree with all 6 of your points. I was surprised how much your points resonated with me. As for #4, I would add that on cruises I generally do not awaken early enough to get to the MDR for breakfast. MDR closes at 9:00 as I recall, maybe 9:30 on some cruises; much too early for my cruise routine. 

I'm with you about waking later and not able to get to the MDR.  I do love buffets, too.

1 hour ago, SFCAcruiser said:

There is a reason buffet is much more crowded than dining rooms for breakfast.  It's cause it's better. 

IMO---The reason the buffet is more crowded is because people can " pile up " a plate or three with everything in sight because they feel they are paying for it anyway.  So, let's " sock it to '' em " and get our money's worth. 

We have breakfast in the dining room most days, or , because we " graduated " to Elite, we can go to the Tuscan Grill where they have a continental buffet breakfast ( very good  ) and enjoy a few cappuccino's .    

10 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

IMO---The reason the buffet is more crowded is because people can " pile up " a plate or three with everything in sight because they feel they are paying for it anyway.  So, let's " sock it to '' em " and get our money's worth. 

We have breakfast in the dining room most days, or , because we " graduated " to Elite, we can go to the Tuscan Grill where they have a continental buffet breakfast ( very good  ) and enjoy a few cappuccino's .    

I rarely see this behavior you describe on X cruises, at least not on the routes I'm taking.

I seriously can't be bothered to go into the dining room for a "formal" breakfast with table service every day. Then I rather order room service and have it on my balcony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

I seriously can't be bothered to go into the dining room for a "formal" breakfast with table service every day.

And eating in the MDR for breakfast (or any time) doesn't guarantee that food won't be wasted. I tried it one day in February and asked my waiter if they could do gluten-free pancakes. He said he would ask. I said "Ok, if they can, I want those with a side of bacon. If they cannot, I want an egg white omelette with tomato, spinach, and feta."

Guess who got BOTH? Yep. He said "I thought you wanted both."

25 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

And you know that's what those enjoying their meal in the OVC are thinking. :classic_rolleyes: I could care less how much you or others eat or waste. Don't be surprised if the small continental buffet breakfast for elites and above in the Tuscan Grill goes away or makes the same changes as the OVC. Whatever those changes will be. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Are there any cruise lines with *no* buffets at all?

RCC is trying to start up cruising before COVID is done with, and they said they envision no buffet for the time being.  Every once in a while on cruisecritic people who don't utilize the buffet will post their silly opinion to kill it and replace it with something they like better, like the OP in this thread.

Holland America had a run of noro in 2017 and 2018 and killed their buffet.  Now it's a cafeteria system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

And you know that's what those enjoying their meal in the OVC are thinking. :classic_rolleyes: I could care less how much you or others eat or waste. Don't be surprised if the small continental buffet breakfast for elites and above in the Tuscan Grill goes away or makes the same changes as the OVC. Whatever those changes will be. 

Perhaps the Tuscan Grill ,at breakfast , will return to ordering from a menu like they had a few years ago. 

It's such a nice relaxing venue , great service, seldom busy,  selection of very good food, and open until 10 am.

I hope I'm wrong, but, I doubt we will get to enjoy the same cruise experience for a long time.

And, with the anticipated changes ---- I don't even want to think about it.

13 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Perhaps the Tuscan Grill ,at breakfast , will return to ordering from a menu like they had a few years ago. 

It's such a nice relaxing venue , great service, seldom busy,  selection of very good food, and open until 10 am.

I hope I'm wrong, but, I doubt we will get to enjoy the same cruise experience for a long time.

And, with the anticipated changes ---- I don't even want to think about it.

I agree if the CC still does the Tuscan Grill breakfast I also believe it will be the small (limited selections) cook to order menu. My Magic 8 Ball agrees with me. 😉

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 4:39 PM, K.T.B. said:

I've learned to cough or sneeze into the crook of my elbow and not my hands.  Much more sanitary, but still kinda gross too.  lol!

I just use a tissue.😀

22 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Ah but have you seen the new studies that report that Vitamin D (which you need sunshine to produce naturally) seems to be a defense against COVID-19.   Link below.  So maybe sunshine is bad long term for melanoma but good short term for COVID?  Maybe eat at the buffet outside in the sun?  😀

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200518/more-vitamin-d-lower-risk-of-severe-covid-19

• Like 1

If Celebrity turns its buffet into a dining room with menu service, we will be unlikely to ever sail with Celebrity again.  We love the convenience and variety of the buffet.  We usually go to the main dining room for a few nights for dinner and then get bored with it, or disappointed with the food, and start having dinner (as well as breakfast and lunch) in the buffet.  Not everything in the buffet is good, but we can always find something we like.  Not so with a set menu. The buffet is especially appealing at night because so few people are there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

If Celebrity turns its buffet into a dining room with menu service, we will be unlikely to ever sail with Celebrity again.  We love the convenience and variety of the buffet.  We usually go to the main dining room for a few nights for dinner and then get bored with it, or disappointed with the food, and start having dinner (as well as breakfast and lunch) in the buffet.  Not everything in the buffet is good, but we can always find something we like.  Not so with a set menu. The buffet is especially appealing at night because so few people are there.

I see it more likely to go to a cafeteria rather than a menu-order place.

• Like 1

😄

On 5/18/2020 at 2:50 PM, pn1 said:

What about men who emit loud, juicy farts? (Would a lady ever do that?)

Standing in a buffet lines when someone does that can be quite disconcerting, especially if it is a long, drawn out, affair with a little "pop" at the end. Maybe a little "matter" is expressed with the final "pop"? Yuck. 

But the worst offenders must be those who drop a silent and deadly fart? With no noise to attract attention, the "offender" can slip away before the pungent aroma circulates. I've often wondered what health impact there must be on other people in a closed environment such as a cruise ship?

I guess there's no restriction on farting in cruise ship buffets, restaurants and other public areas?

Paul in Australia

Old Saying: "A dog smells himself first"😅

Edited by Banjo
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, davekathy said:

. Don't be surprised if the small continental buffet breakfast for elites and above in the Tuscan Grill goes away or makes the same changes as the OVC. Whatever those changes will be. 

Why would they do that? On many of the cruises, if the total # of elites or higher are low, they already have a system with a menu. If they have to do it cafeteria style, they could do with limited staff with so few food options they now offer.

I find it relaxing. I am not big fan of the buffet or spending the morning in the MDR.