Revolutionized Ships

Beachlover1989

23 minutes ago, 39august said:

Regarding the questions about Equinox, I believe concierge and aqua cabins got new carpet, drapes and bedding. Suites got new drapes and bedding. We were in a suite and I don't think we had new carpet. I believe all other cabins got new bedding. The Passport bar has new furniture and carpet and the famous "pig" side tables. We loved EQ as she was, so no biggie for us. 

Thanks, your information seems to parallel what little I have been able to find.   It seems that the Millennium class ships that haver been Revolutionized (Millennium, Summit) had a little more done such as the bathroom shower but the S class ships are newer and their bathrooms already a step above the older M class ships. Appreciate you taking the time to inform me.

5 hours ago, aftforsure said:

Was wondering if anyone here might have some knowledge on a question of mine regarding "Revolutionizing" on the Equinox.

From pictures that I am able to see it appears that cabins in the Concierge level and higher got new carpeting.  Scant pictures that I can find seem to show the same old carpet in Verandah rooms.  Is that correct?  Looking at the Revolutionization on ships like the Millennium and Summit it does not appear from what I have been able to see that the verandah cabins on Equinox were upgraded at all.  Anyone that give me more information about this either confirming or correcting my ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

We did not have new carpeting in the RS...However, it was in good condition.

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Probably some initial easy changes on different parts of the ship.  Restaurants, bars, MDR would maybe be similar to what is going on with the same venues on land during initial openings.  Changes to serving stations and plexiglass everywhere? Perhaps the theatre will be every other seat and every other row but more shows?  What about changes to muster drills? The costly renovations might involve expanding and adding isolation areas in the medical bay and adding things like ventilators and other diagnostic equipment like machines for quick viral testing.  I think you can follow creativity from land-based reopenings and apply a lot of this to ships.

Why can't the muster drills be viewed on TV in the cabin?  Muster on Royal's ships is/was a joke you could not hear or see anything.  At least in the past on Celebrity you could sit and watch and listen and not feel like a sardine in a can.  They could easily check to make certain you were in your cabin and watching the muster on your TV.

8 hours ago, aftforsure said:

Was wondering if anyone here might have some knowledge on a question of mine regarding "Revolutionizing" on the Equinox.

From pictures that I am able to see it appears that cabins in the Concierge level and higher got new carpeting.  Scant pictures that I can find seem to show the same old carpet in Verandah rooms.  Is that correct?  Looking at the Revolutionization on ships like the Millennium and Summit it does not appear from what I have been able to see that the verandah cabins on Equinox were upgraded at all.  Anyone that give me more information about this either confirming or correcting my ideas, would be greatly appreciated.

We were in a Sky Suite, on the Equinox this past August. The only difference we saw, in the room, was new deck chairs, new bedding and to ugly gray robes hanging in the closet. 

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Why can't the muster drills be viewed on TV in the cabin?  Muster on Royal's ships is/was a joke you could not hear or see anything.  At least in the past on Celebrity you could sit and watch and listen and not feel like a sardine in a can.  They could easily check to make certain you were in your cabin and watching the muster on your TV.

What are you suggesting, Big Brother Watching? How could they check that you were in your cabin and watching. Going room to room, ok. Making sure the TV is on, ok. But how would they know, unless there is a camera in your room, what you were doing?

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

In the case of a real emergency all passengers need to report to their muster stations.  So, a drill is something where people find out where their muster station is and how they must get there.  I am pretty sure there is some liability to the cruise line if they didn't do it the way they do it now.   Do you remember in elementary school having a fire drill and actually leaving the classroom and being told where to stand outside the school?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aftforsure said:

We sailed in Aqua Class on Equinox.  I honestly don't recall if there were new carpets or drapes.  I know the bedding was changed - very comfy.  They also unfortunately managed to replace the balcony furniture with the less comfortable chairs with no footstools and the smaller table if memory serves.

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

We were in a Sky Suite, on the Equinox this past August. The only difference we saw, in the room, was new deck chairs, new bedding and to ugly gray robes hanging in the closet. 

Wow!  I thought the gray robes were a vast improvement over the previous ones.  Did you actually try one on?  They were very nice.

We are booked on Eclipse in January, at the time of booking it was supposed to be "Revolutionized" before our cruise. Well that was postponed months ago, we were disappointed and almost cancelled. Then we looked more closely at the plan and realized there is almost nothing on an "S Class" revolution for the non suite passenger. It really is all about the suite guests; taking half the Skyview lounge for a ridiculously large suite, making yet another public area and making it suite exclusive and depending on your point of view, it screws up the suite class dining room and lounge.

I'm kinda glad they postponed the "Revolution" of Eclipse, there was nothing in it for us peasants not in suites and it was scheduled to take a a huge chunk of the Skyview for a single suite. The only thing that may have been of interest to the great unwashed not in suites was the conversion of the always deserted "Cellar Masters" into Craft social.

All in all if you're not in a suite the "Revolution" on "S Class" is a bust and even if you are there's no guarantee you'll like it.

Edited by Blackduck59

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We are booked on Eclipse in January, at the time of booking it was supposed to be "Revolutionized" before our cruise. Well that was postponed months ago, we were disappointed and almost cancelled. Then we looked more closely at the plan and realized there is almost nothing on an "S Class" revolution for the non suite passenger. It really is all about the suite guests; taking half the Skyview lounge for a ridiculously large suite, making yet another public area and making it suite exclusive and depending on your point of view, it screws up the suite class dining room and lounge.

I'm kinda glad they postponed the "Revolution" of Eclipse, there was nothing in it for us peasants not in suites and it was scheduled to take a a huge chunk of the Skyview for a single suite. The only thing that may have been of interest to the great unwashed not in suites was the conversion of the always deserted "Cellar Masters" into Craft social.

All in all if you're not in a suite the "Revolution" on "S Class" is a bust and even if you are there's no guarantee you'll like it.

I'm not exactly sure what it is but something about the focus on suites only kind of bums me out. I thought it was just me!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Wow!  I thought the gray robes were a vast improvement over the previous ones.  Did you actually try one on?  They were very nice.

I never use the robes but my wife does. She also didn't care for the color, but like you, she thought they were very nice. She uses them every day.

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

....... Then we looked more closely at the plan and realized there is almost nothing on an "S Class" revolution for the non suite passenger. It really is all about the suite guests; taking half the Skyview lounge for a ridiculously large suite, making yet another public area and making it suite exclusive and depending on your point of view, it screws up the suite class dining room and lounge.

Firstly there is no plan to take half the Sky Lounge for a ridiculously large suite the only new rooms are 4 inside single staterooms designed with the solo traveler in mind. Yes they are converting the 4 family verandas to sunset suites and reducing their capacity from 5 to 4..

I do accept they are taking a heavily underused solstice deck and basketball court to convert it to a suites sun deck

On the other hand the new sunset bar lounge areas and craft social look amazing

si-revolution-lawn-lounge-720x480.jpg?width=720&height=480&ext=.jpg

si-revolution-craft-social-720x480.jpg?width=720&height=480&ext=.jpg

Along with the giant movie screen on the lawn 

si-revolution-lawn-club-720x480.jpg?width=720&height=480&ext=.jpg

And the additional cocktail bar outside the theatre won't go amiss

Yes it will be a shame if S class Silhouette is the only S class ship to get these .........

Edited by groryjm

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

BlackDuck, I concur with your thinking. For me this question about what changes have been made, started in this past November when we booked a Dec 2020 cruise on the Constellation.  It was supposed to be Revolutionized this May and those older ships would really benefit from the upgrade.  The have done that on the Millennium and Summit and they have remade the rooms for us peasants to use your term.  New bedding, new carpeting, new bathrooms and ditched the shower curtain.  The rooms feel new.  So when this pandemic hit us, Celebrity has put the Constellation Revolution on hold with most people thinking it will never happen, at least not before our scheduled Dec 2020 cruise.  

Without the refurb we are not interested in going on the very old and tired Constellation.  So we are about to cancel that trip and were going to switch it to the Equinox, either this December or most likely the following year.  As I started investigating it appeared that verandah rooms were not changed in any way other than possibly new bedding.  Noticed that concierge cabins looked like they got that plus new carpeting.  My thoughts are that Revolutionizing is a waste on S class ships since they are much newer and not really much of a difference from the Edge class ships.  I find spending millions on public spaces on the ships is not anything I desire.  They are perfectly fine as they are and wish they would just update the cabins on a more regular basis instead and it would be cheaper too.  But of course these cruise lines find that publicizing these public spaces with the changes is good for publicity and I am sure just feeds their egos.  I have not found fault with public spaces but a number of times found a cabin that needed some updating and repair.

Edited by aftforsure
omitted a word to make the sentence make sense
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, aftforsure said:

In the case of a real emergency all passengers need to report to their muster stations.  So, a drill is something where people find out where their muster station is and how they must get there.  I am pretty sure there is some liability to the cruise line if they didn't do it the way they do it now.   Do you remember in elementary school having a fire drill and actually leaving the classroom and being told where to stand outside the school?

We could report to muster stations in small, scheduled groups over a period of several hours on the first night.  Get our names checked off.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We could report to muster stations in small, scheduled groups over a period of several hours on the first night.  Get our names checked off.

Unfortunately I can't see how that would work as many of the muster stations are the resturaunts and bars of Deck 5 where the life boats are so they would have to be out of use for people to muster.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I do not see what the problem is, just do it all at once and get it over with.  Takes no more than 30 minutes as it is done now. So now this thread about the Celebrity revolution of their ships has been officially highjacked to one about Muster Drills.😵

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, groryjm said:

Unfortunately I can't see how that would work as many of the muster stations are the resturaunts and bars of Deck 5 where the life boats are so they would have to be out of use for people to muster.  

Yes good point but the small groups could report to their actual muster station on the lifeboat deck like the old days.

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I do not see what the problem is, just do it all at once and get it over with.  Takes no more than 30 minutes as it is done now.

Just a short term solution for social distancing reasons once cruising starts up again.  The muster drill gets the entire ship's passengers all crammed together not only at the muster stations but at elevators, stairways, common areas.  It is always a mess.  Hopefully it will go back to the usual way in 6-months to a year.  

29 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The ship cannot shove off unless all passengers have gone through the drill.  

5 hours ago, groryjm said:

Firstly there is no plan to take half the Sky Lounge for a ridiculously large suite the only new rooms are 4 inside single staterooms designed with the solo traveler in mind. Yes they are converting the 4 family verandas to sunset suites and reducing their capacity from 5 to 4..

I do accept they are taking a heavily underused solstice deck and basketball court to convert it to a suites sun deck

On the other hand the new sunset bar lounge areas and craft social look amazing

The plan that I saw for Eclipse showed a very large 2500 square foot "Reflection" suite carved out of the Skyview lounge. The basket ball court was still there in the plan I saw.

As I understand it the Sunset Bar is a smoking area that includes cigars, that put it out for my wife and many others who have severe asthmatic reactions to smoke.

I did mention that Craft Social seemed to be one of the few "Revolution" features that would be for non suite guests.

41 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The plan that I saw for Eclipse showed a very large 2500 square foot "Reflection" suite carved out of the Skyview lounge. The basket ball court was still there in the plan I saw.

As I understand it the Sunset Bar is a smoking area that includes cigars, that put it out for my wife and many others who have severe asthmatic reactions to smoke.

I did mention that Craft Social seemed to be one of the few "Revolution" features that would be for non suite guests.

The planned Reflection suites went by the wayside before Equinox's failed revolution due to the accident at Freeport and Eclipse was pushed back. Silhouette got the full revolution at Cadiz including 4 new solo insides and the 4 FV's converted to Sunset suites.

A small section of the rear port corner of the sunset bar is smoking but the whole starboard side, as in the picture I posted, is non smoking.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes good point but the small groups could report to their actual muster station on the lifeboat deck like the old days.

The lifeboats are no longer the "actual" muster stations. The only time that passengers would be moved from their muster station to the lifeboats would be in preparation for the lifeboats to be boarded and launched. There are other emergency circumstances where passengers would be called to their muster stations with no need to go out on deck to the lifeboats.