Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

What is going on in Florida?  They are predicting Florida to be the next epicenter and Governor Cuomo is threatening to require a 14 day quarantine for anyone coming to NY from Florida.  I hope this is media hype. If Cruising is to start again this can't happen. People in Florida whatever you are doing wrong stop.   

We, Florida, requires a 14 day quarantine from those entering the State from NY/NJ/CT but I’m not aware of anyone following this order. 

I live in Florida, and once again it's becoming a laughing stock. We have a governor who's like Nero. He fiddles while the state burns in Covid-19. The people are no better. No masks, no social distancing. Forget August sailings, and it has nothing to do with the CDC.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We, Florida, requires a 14 day quarantine from those entering the State from NY/NJ/CT but I’m not aware of anyone following this order. 

Hawaii is on a rampage enforcing the 14 day quarantine upon arrival. I know this because my son has a trip planned in August and he has been following it. That's the only state that I have heard anything about. Good luck Cuomo and de Blasio enforcing it here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I live in Florida, and once again it's becoming a laughing stock. We have a governor who's like Nero. He fiddles while the state burns in Covid-19. The people are no better. No masks, no social distancing. Forget August sailings, and it has nothing to do with the CDC.

Not what I wanted to hear but thank you and stay safe.

1 minute ago, deliver42 said:

I don’t understand how you can blame our Governor?  How about those in the streets and those not practicing proper socializing distancing and mask wearing?  It’s not the Governors fault people don’t follow recommendations. Did you watch any TV the last 3 weeks?  Miami, Tampa, and Orlando had their share of protestors. Nobody wants to address this. 

You just can’t keep businesses and employment shut down. Can’t continue to print money. 

M8

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I don’t understand how you can blame our Governor?  How about those in the streets and those not practicing proper socializing distancing and mask wearing?  It’s not the Governors fault people don’t follow recommendations. Did you watch any TV the last 3 weeks?  Miami, Tampa, and Orlando had their share of protestors. Nobody wants to address this. 

You just can’t keep businesses and employment shut down. Can’t continue to print money. 

M8

Perhaps he should make mask wearing a requirement and not just a recommendation.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Perhaps he should make mask wearing a requirement and not just a recommendation.

Monroe County (Keys) and Orlando require mask starting tonight at midnight. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. I have seen some uptick in hospital admissions but have seen no data where hospitals are out of beds. I did see one Palm Beach Hospital indicate they are nearing capacity but Hospitals around them have beds. The quarantine was never meat to eradicate CV19, it was to keep the hospitals and healthcare from getting overrun. People lose site of this. 

Florida definitely has an issue with long term care facilities, jails/prisons, and farm labor camps. And just like these, Cruise Ships are much the same as far as density goes. 

M8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

I agree there was just so much they could have done in relation to the protests and rioting. The people here are letting down their guard as well as things open up here. I'm not seeing social distancing or crowd control at the outdoor bars and restaurants. The tables are six feet apart but people are huddling between the gaps.  Retail in NYC opens next week. We will see what happens here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All I can say at this point, seeing what is happening in Florida, and noting the comments on this thread- it's going to be a very LONG time until we go to Florida and get on a ship.   Too much risk to me and the rest of the people who live around me- who have done a pretty darned good job putting a stop to this locally.  

Sad, especially since we are so close to Pinnacle.  Even more sad because we had an epic trip scheduled for this fall to celebrate an anniversary and turn Pinnacle, which will be canceled due to pretty poor response to the virus.

Good luck to those of you who think this is going away right now.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Hawaii is on a rampage enforcing the 14 day quarantine upon arrival. I know this because my son has a trip planned in August and he has been following it. That's the only state that I have heard anything about. Good luck Cuomo and de Blasio enforcing it here.

My Son and his family live in Oahu. They just progressed to Phase 2 two weeks ago, and their numbers are going up again. I doubt that they are going to lift the 14 day quarantine any time soon. Unlike other states, Hawaii does enforce their quarantine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

Thankfully the majority of the protesters seemed to be wearing masks even though social distancing was definitely lacking. Unfortunately, there are too many other people that don't feel social distancing and mask wearing are necessary. I think these are the people that are contributing to Florida's increasing numbers. Even if these people are asymptomatic, they are spreading the disease to others by not wearing masks. I do realize the numbers will be going up due to the increased testing, but the percentage of positive results is also climbing, and that is not a good indication. Several cities and counties near us have now made mask wearing required when out in public hoping to get the spread under better control. 

If Cruising is to start again this can't happen. People in Florida whatever you are doing wrong stop.   

Who knows... maybe cruising will begin in NYC, instead of Florida like many originally thought.

Hawaii is on a rampage enforcing the 14 day quarantine upon arrival. I know this because my son has a trip planned in August and he has been following it. That's the only state that I have heard anything about. 

We cancelled our trip to Maui for that reason.  They currently won't let visitors rent a car because they want you "locked" down.  They are taking it seriously.

Monroe County (Keys) and Orlando require mask starting tonight at midnight. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. I have seen some uptick in hospital admissions but have seen no data where hospitals are out of beds. I did see one Palm Beach Hospital indicate they are nearing capacity but Hospitals around them have beds. The quarantine was never meant to eradicate CV19, it was to keep the hospitals and healthcare from getting overrun. People lose site of this. 

Florida definitely has an issue with long term care facilities, jails/prisons, and farm labor camps. And just like these, Cruise Ships are much the same as far as density goes. 

M8

The key will be seeing that your slow uptick doesn't grow exponentially, because you will run out of those beds.  Then you will have an issue.  I know I don't have to tell you this, but it does seem as though some of your fellow state's people do not get it.  

So far, and thankfully, your state is on the right side of things.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

The quarantine was never meant to eradicate CV19

Exactly. In March it was just supposed to be a quick shut down to let hospitals catch up and stock up on PPE. They said the spread of the virus was inevitable. Being from Florida I have a ton of family down there. We are heading down for a reunion in a week and I for one am really looking forward to sun and relaxation. I hope the panhandle does not go to further restrictions. If they do, I know where the roofless restaurants are! I'm willing to wear a mask in places that are essential like a grocery store or pharmacy but if you are high risk or concerned, don't go to non-essential locations and expect everyone to wear a mask.

Edited by HxFx

What is going on in Florida?  They are predicting Florida to be the next epicenter and Governor Cuomo is threatening to require a 14 day quarantine for anyone coming to NY from Florida.  I hope this is media hype. If Cruising is to start again this can't happen. People in Florida whatever you are doing wrong stop.   

our cases are spiking upward at an alarming rate.  (Central Florida)  - Orange County will require masks starting Saturday (why not today???) - people have lost their minds - all this week, everywhere I had to go (work, grocery store, hardware store) less than half were wearing masks.  I'm glad the employees are.  I wanted the state to reopen because of the jobs and unemployment i just don't understand why it couldn't reopen with conditions - like masks - I'm back to staying home for awhile - and reconsidering my planned December cruise on RCCL. 

• Like 1

Monroe County (Keys) and Orlando require mask starting tonight at midnight. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. I have seen some uptick in hospital admissions but have seen no data where hospitals are out of beds. I did see one Palm Beach Hospital indicate they are nearing capacity but Hospitals around them have beds. The quarantine was never meat to eradicate CV19, it was to keep the hospitals and healthcare from getting overrun. People lose site of this. 

M8

https://www.news965.com/news/local/link-see-icu-bed-availability-florida-covid-cases-climb/90sPOZMNJ2UntiJ9EwfgVL/

Shockingly, 26 Florida hospitals reported ZERO availability in the ICU Friday morning, two of those are local. 

Here you go - we are out of beds.  BBM

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

All I can say at this point, seeing what is happening in Florida, and noting the comments on this thread- it's going to be a very LONG time until we go to Florida and get on a ship.   Too much risk to me and the rest of the people who live around me- who have done a pretty darned good job putting a stop to this locally.  

Sad, especially since we are so close to Pinnacle.  Even more sad because we had an epic trip scheduled for this fall to celebrate an anniversary and turn Pinnacle, which will be canceled due to pretty poor response to the virus.

Good luck to those of you who think this is going away right now.  

Maybe RC can relocate a smaller ship, maybe Empress, up to the Great Lakes.

Depart from Detroit and experience Windsor's skyline like Venice, sail under the Blue Water Bridge similar to the Skyway Bridge, and experience the Soo Locks where you get your passport stamped for your distant port of call. It isn't the Panama Canal but you get the idea.  You can't disembark due to the border being closed but wave at those working the locks.

With stops in exotic ports like Bay City, Macinaw City, and spend the afternoon sailing the inside passage of Cockburn Island but honestly who wants to port there.

Your last port stop is in Whitefish Bay.  There you can tour the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum and learn about the Fitzgerald.  After that stop you have a "lake day", while you sail Superior.  Will it be a Poseidon like adventure?  Will your legend live on, on the big lake they called Gitche Gumee?  Just don't sail in November, when it is said that the lake never gives up her dead, when the skies of November turn gloomy.

You will disembark the beautiful Empress of the Seas in Duluth, after the lift bridge rises to welcome your arrival.  You will enjoy the traditional horn welcoming between the Empress and following response from the bridge, consisting of 1 long and 2 short from it's train horns.  

You will be Pinnacle before you know it.  I'd book it today too, if I knew it would go.

Turn on your volume and enjoy.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

They are enforcing it.  That doesn't mean that some aren't violating it.  My husband is a pilot and anytime he flies back to Florida from New York or New Jersey he needs to produce his crew member identification in order to avoid the quarantine documentation.  Flights from the trip-state area are being met by state authorities and information taken.  

• Like 1

I doubt it to be honest. The chances are very low. The thing about it is that as long as we have pandemia oficially not cancelled and as long as protests are going on I have no idea when this entire thing will start operating again. My only hopes are for Autumn

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

They say it's due to more testing from what I see the younger generations seems to think wearing a mask isn't worth there time

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Maybe RC can relocate a smaller ship, maybe Empress, up to the Great Lakes.

Controlling width of the St. Lawrence Seaway is 78 feet.  Even ‘small’ cruise ships aren’t getting past Montreal.

41 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Controlling width of the St. Lawrence Seaway is 78 feet.  Even ‘small’ cruise ships aren’t getting past Montreal.

If folks think cruises are going in August out of Florida then I can believe Empress can fit through the locks. 😉

Who knows if this will still happen after Covid but this was in the works. This was announced in February. 

941BA08F-1E41-4C07-BBCA-85FEF388F565.thumb.jpeg.30b18e4af2347bf98c0ef489410c3de3.jpeg

• Like 1