The Choice Is Yours

jetsfan58

6 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Lately, we have seen a lot of topics via this Cruise Critic forum. They all have been very informative and timely. In keeping with that tradition, I would like to visit another part of the Cruise experience. Due to all of the buzz concerning Covid, Ports, Safety, Mask and Food, etc. when we do start cruising again Will You:

Fly to the Port, Drive to the Port, Stay in a Hotel Pre Cruise and/or Dine out Pre Cruise?  

Your responses are greatly appreciated!!!

"Smooth Sailing" Whenever we can start saying that again!! 

We will be flying to Fort Lauderdale, staying at the Embassy Suites 17th St. for two days.Our Cruise is September 5th this year.

If I'm willing to cruise then I'd also be willing to fly and stay in a hotel.

US-based departures don't appeal to me. So my next cruise (hopefully late summer 2021) will involve both an overseas flight and a pre-cruise hotel.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

If I'm willing to cruise then I'd also be willing to fly and stay in a hotel.

US-based departures don't appeal to me. So my next cruise (hopefully late summer 2021) will involve both an overseas flight and a pre-cruise hotel.

I'm with you. There are no US-based departures I'd be interested in. (Hmm, maybe a fall foliage one.) So fly overseas, stay several days or more, cruise, and stay several days at the final port. And I'd likely fly perhaps WAY before cruising. Ten hours on an airplane sounds way safer than ten days on a ship. And perhaps by then the N95 masks will be in generous supply. Oh, and business class 🙂 

8 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Lately, we have seen a lot of topics via this Cruise Critic forum. They all have been very informative and timely. In keeping with that tradition, I would like to visit another part of the Cruise experience. Due to all of the buzz concerning Covid, Ports, Safety, Mask and Food, etc. when we do start cruising again Will You:

Fly to the Port, Drive to the Port, Stay in a Hotel Pre Cruise and/or Dine out Pre Cruise?  

I can drive to pretty much any southern port except Galveston, and a stay over would be determined on the port.  I am (hopefully) cruising on August 1st out of Miami, and will drive down the night before and stay in a hotel (about 350 miles).  Definitely eat out, or order in via Uber Eats or Grub Hub if I pregame too much after hotel checkin 😉 

It's too far to drive to a port where I could take a cruise that interests me so I would do what I've always done.  Fly in the day before, stay at a hotel near the terminal and have a nice dinner. COVID would not change this routine as the risk of picking up the virus on the boat is higher and the potential consequences more severe than a flight, hotel or restaurant. When the day comes that I'm convinced cruising is safe everything else is moot. 

During this pandemic, I have continued flying, staying at hotels, and going to restaurants on a weekly basis (because of my job), so I wont think twice about doing these same things to go on a cruise when the time comes (which will be on February 2021 aboard Royal Princess from Los Angeles. I better fly for that one because I live in Atlanta). 😉

I’ll admit that I was a bit weary about traveling when all of this started, and I was dreading all the new protocols. It all felt weird at the beginning. But after doing them over and over on a weekly basis for months now, they have all become second nature. Wearing masks, temperature checks, extra hand washing, sanitizing, wiping things down, etc have all become part of my daily routine now when I travel. I don’t even think about them anymore.

After experiencing all the changes that airlines and various other businesses in the travel industry have established, I feel much safer now being up on an airplane and staying at a hotel than going to my local grocery store. 

Edited by Tapi

Hi

Just curious as I am not a U.S. resident, do you guys get information on when your borders are possibly going to open again to regular visitors/tourists? 

So, we are getting information similar to the way the cruise lines are doing it. Sort of like, not yet. Maybe next month. Again I saw an article: (only an excerpt) 

Canadian and U.S. sources said although the governments had not yet taken a final decision, a further extension was highly likely.

"It's going to be a clean rollover" on June 21, said a U.S. source who requested anonymity given the sensitivity of the situation. "We will want to look at it again in July."

I know the cruise lines are talking about Aug., but do you think your borders will be open to the world by then? Who actually gets to decide for the U.S. I realize with Canada there is ongoing dialogue, likely because we are such close trading partners. However, for us we only seem to hear of news in this regard concerning the U.S. 

thanks if anyone has any answers

5 cruises booked, fly to 4 and drive to 1 (Galveston).  Ready for whatever happens.  Hotel stay the night before each of them.  I support 14 states in my job (HR) and fly to one of them weekly and stay a few days. So I’m already used to the new normal, so to speak, very much in need of a vacation.  Looking forward to getting back on board a fun ship!  

Safe travels and happy future sailing! 

I fly to FLL the day before on an early flight with a connection in Houston.  If my connection is cancelled later flights out to FLL (2) to MIA (2) and Palm Beach (1) same day.   If stuck in IAH early flight to FLL (2) and MIA (2) the next day.

So I'm not worried too much.

I plan to stay in FLL overnight and take the CCL bus to the POM.

David

1 hour ago, Baxter1234 said:

Will have no issue driving to Galveston, staying in hotels, and eating in restaurants.  But coming from Canada we can’t do that until they open the border and remove the mandatory 14 day quarantine upon return.

Now that is a looong drive!  How much time do you allow?  

Living in Ohio, there really aren't many nearby ports. The closest are about 8 hours away. The ones I prefer the most, are at least about double that.

Honestly, I could care less about COVID. I constantly get attacked for saying that. Beyond the constant fear and "numbers", there is enough info out there on how to be safe and how minimal the risks really are for the average person.

I will always fly into a port and stay in a hotel the night before. After driving 10+ hours for many years, I am done with that. It's no way to start a vacation. Flying is also so cheap now. Honestly, for the price I'd pay for gas, rental/wear on personal car, tolls, gas, parking, maybe a non-destination hotel, etc, the savings is negligible, if any. I'm not a person who pays for "convenience", but flying is worth it to me.

Coming in a hotel the night before (or more) is part of the vacation to me. While it is rare that your flight would be delayed to the point of missing your cruise, it happens, and the consequences are too great to risk. Instead of being one of those people who would rather risk it and post "how mean the cruise line was because I missed the embarkation", I'd rather take a win-win route. Arriving to my oceanfront room is one of the best ways to start a vacation. Most of the ports have so much to do. I get it I may have been there before. I've always been to my local downtown hundreds of times. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy myself there. So I sure can enjoy another night in Miami, Lauderdale, New Orleans, etc. I've had some really great vacations where we did a couple of nights near the port and then a cruise.

Add me to the "there are not any domestic departures that interest me."   Having said THAT, whenever our next cruise is (And yes, we "almost" booked one for this fall) we will have no issue with flying/staying the night in a hotel.  

As an aside, our next door neighbor is a flight attendant who has been working through this entire mess.  She just got tested again for antibodies and still has apparently not been exposed.  

On 6/9/2020 at 11:54 AM, jetsfan58 said:

If we do cruise again it will only be from NJ or NY as I am not physically able to fly or drive .

23 hours ago, Tapi said:

During this pandemic, I have continued flying, staying at hotels, and going to restaurants on a weekly basis (because of my job), so I wont think twice about doing these same things to go on a cruise when the time comes (which will be on February 2021 aboard Royal Princess from Los Angeles.

Not so much the restaurants because of closures and not every week, but I've been flying and staying in hotels also.  Actually, flying has been wonderful through this pandemic.  Mostly empty planes and I received status upgrades each time.  

So yes, when I cruise again, I'll have no issues with flying and staying in hotels.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Aquahound said:

So yes, when I cruise again, I'll have no issues with flying and staying in hotels.  

I don't have issues now with flying and staying in hotels.  Since the current fun began I have done both but there is no damn way I'm hopping on board a floating viral incubator for a week of fun and gaiety.  No way at all. 

• Like 1