What was the best meal you had on Princess?

KevintheIrishDJ

People are likely to think I'm nuts, but my personal favorite are the chimichanga's which show up as a starter on one of the lunch menus.  Like everything else about Princess they do vary a bit ship to ship.  Sometimes tiny little things not much larger than a Vienna sausage, other times five or six bites of not too spicy goodness.  Regardless, I always enjoy them and check the menu's carefully so as to not miss them.  It's the little things that often delight.

When in Club Class I've never had a bad dining room prepared caesar salad.  Again, so simple, but when done well, nearly perfect.

And finally, the flourless chocolate cake which typically appears the first night is my desert worth cheating for.

• Like 2

On 6/13/2020 at 1:59 PM, Coral said:

It was Christmas day on 2002 Sun Princess. They went above and beyond. Back in the day.....

On that same cruise, we did Stirling Steakhouse outside above the pool area. The steaks back then were pretty good and it was a night we were in Acapulco so we had the mountains in the background. The cost was $6 pp.

I would also have to state that our most memorable meal was at the Sterling Steakhouse, sailing on the Royal Princess(R-class) in French Polynesia.

It was a formal night(the rest of the passengers were dining in the MDR that evening), and so we had the rear section of the restaurant to ourselves.  The meal/service/ambience was fantastic.  So much so, that the experience of that sailing 'sold us' on Princess(and cruising in general).

How things have changed since then...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

#1 - Chef's Table on Emerald Princess

#2 - Ultimate Balcony Dinner on Caribbean Princess

What are costs for these ? Can Ultimate Balcony be with another couple, i.e. a foursome ?

Surprisingly it was in the MDR on one of the Caribbean cruises.  The meal was fantastic from start to finish; sea bass IIRC.  It might also have been partly due to the spectacular dining service we had from Harold (PI), and the delightful tablemates we were assigned.

• Like 1

Lunch on the Ruby in the Caribbean. About 10 years ago. We were invited to lunch with the Captain and Officers for being  long time cruisers. We were at the very bottom of the group and were at the table with a very young future cruise officer. There was a real pecking order. I only remember fabulous double rib lamp chops and a delicious chocolate mousse. 

• Like 2

I have a hard time choosing which was best out of the following and I can't always remember what ship we were on, but here goes

1 Chefs table on Emerald or Ruby Princess a number of years ago

2.  Numerous Wine Makers dinners

3.  The special Tuscan Dinner they did for a short time, it was fabulous and very special.  Regal or Royal, not sure which.  This may have been the best of them all.

4.  Ultimate balcony dinner on Royal Princess.  Very nice but my husband was less impressed.

5.  Most traveled luncheon on Sapphire Princess Alaska cruise a number of years ago.  A true surprise for me, as I was only Platinum at the time and just made the cut.  

6.  Another Most Traveled luncheon on Diamond Princess Alaska cruise as an Elite  and got to bring my husband as he was with me that cruise.  Again, just made the cut but who's complaining.  I got to go.  And the food was special. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

What are costs for these ? Can Ultimate Balcony be with another couple, i.e. a foursome ?

Someone might want to correct me, but think the Chef's Table is now about $95 (higher on Royal & Regal, I believe).  When we did it a few years back it was less.  Fantastic experience.

As far as Ultimate Balcony Dinner is concerned, I don't think you can add another couple (but perhaps someone else can confirm that).  The cost for us in 2018 was $100.  A wonderful meal--champagne, appetizers, lobster & steak & accompaniments, then dessert & coffee.  Plus red roses and a photo to commemorate the special meal.  Certainly well worth the price, IMO.

Edited by Cruzinnana47
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

Surprisingly it was in the MDR on one of the Caribbean cruises.  The meal was fantastic from start to finish; sea bass IIRC.  It might also have been partly due to the spectacular dining service we had from Harold (PI), and the delightful tablemates we were assigned.

Good table mates are important.  We had so many laughs on our Pacific Princess Christmas & New Years 2018 cruise, the table near us kept giving us "Dirty" looks!!!!

Cruise 18 12 Joan kevin New Years eve table boarder.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Someone might want to correct me, but think the Chef's Table is now about $95 (higher on Royal & Regal, I believe).  When we did it a few years back it was less.  Fantastic experience.

As far as Ultimate Balcony Dinner is concerned, I don't think you can add another couple (but perhaps someone else can confirm that).  The cost for us in 2018 was $100.  A wonderful meal--champagne, appetizers, lobster & steak & accompaniments, then dessert & coffee.  Plus red roses and a photo to commemorate the special meal.  Certainly well worth the price, IMO.

Thanks, we were having a conversation with a couple about food on Oceania etc. For us Princess MDR has always been fine and would not pay Oceania prices. We got to thinking of ways and costs to 'spruce' up dining experience, like adding a couple of Specialty Dinners, Club Mini suite etc. Had not thought of Chef's Dinner. Maybe we could have the door open on adjoining balcony's and have Ultimate Balcony 🙂

Is Ultimate Balcony $95 per person ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Thanks, we were having a conversation with a couple about food on Oceania etc. For us Princess MDR has always been fine and would not pay Oceania prices. We got to thinking of ways and costs to 'spruce' up dining experience, like adding a couple of Specialty Dinners, Club Mini suite etc. Had not thought of Chef's Dinner. Maybe we could have the door open on adjoining balcony's and have Ultimate Balcony 🙂

Is Ultimate Balcony $95 per person ?

AFAIK, Price is $100 for 2 people.  It was especially nice having a larger Caribe Deck Balcony to enjoy it on.

• Like 1

The first time I had Curtis Stone's Chicken and Leek pot pie was a memorable impression indeed. I went online to

see if I could find the recipe but alas not. I will try again.

The other memorable dish was the first time I had Beef Wellington. I had never tasted it before and it was really good.

There has only been one meal in 7 cruises that was not up to par and the waiter was not surprised by my not eating 

the dish. Other than that, I find the dishes served in the MDR pretty good.

• Like 2

Any of the old french or Italian nights on the original Pacific or Island princess. Because the ships were smaller they didn't have make so many meals. Just better food. Also one of the head waiters use to make a pasta with cauliflower olive oil garlic and red pepper flakes. Simple but amazing.

• Like 1

Some of my favorites:

1.  Any of the chef's tables, but especially the one we had on the Star Princess on an Alaskan cruise
  2.  Any of our Ultimate Balcony Dinners, but especially the first one we had while the ship was docked in Curacao.
  3.  Breakfasts at Sabatini's the one time we had a suite.
  4.  Embarkation day lunch when they have the vegetarian ravioli and the salmon and Grand Marnier soufflé. 
  • Like 2

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Fettuccine Alfredo.  I do not recall the first time that I had this delicious pasta on a Princess ship.  But, it was an item that I must always have when I sail on a Princess cruise.  Sometimes, more than once.  When it is well prepared, it is truly delicious!

• Like 1

The original 10 course meal in Sabatini’s on the Diamond back in 2005.

I haven’t been back to Sabatini’s since they switched to the 3 course choice options. I still frequent the Crown Grill most cruises, though there has been a marked drop in quality over the years.

When we first started cruising in the early 2000s, there was always one, maybe two meals on a cruise, where we thought “wow”. It’s been a number of years now since that last wow moment. Case in point would be the dessert soufflé. I couldn’t get enough of them on our 2003 HI circle. These days, they are pretty tasteless and stodgy. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Fettuccine Alfredo.  I do not recall the first time that I had this delicious pasta on a Princess ship.  But, it was an item that I must always have when I sail on a Princess cruise.  Sometimes, more than once.  When it is well prepared, it is truly delicious!

I think the original Fettuccine Alfredo in the parmigiano bowl was so much better than the current version!

14 minutes ago, polmcs said:

The original 10 course meal in Sabatini’s on the Diamond back in 2005.

We started sailing on Princess in 2007 and the original 10 course meal in Sabatinis was history within a couple of years and I totally forgot about it until your posting.  It was wonderful!  Too much to eat if you had eaten anything at all that day but the dishes were great.  We had lived in Italy for 5 years and were impressed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

I think the original Fettuccine Alfredo in the parmigiano bowl was so much better than the current version!

Yes.  While I still enjoy the current offering, it's not "what it used to be".  

On Royal Princess, I learned a lesson.  I ordered the featured Curtis Stone Pork Belly entree one evening and was served a piece of greasy pork fat that my digestive system would have been total revolt if I consumed it.  I then ordered the "Always Available" Fettuccine Alfredo.  When it was served, it had been hastily prepared and was on the rare side of al dente and was watery, lacking much flavor other then a pasta flavor.  My previous order of such was very good.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

The version they served before the Parmesan bowl was even better.

• Like 2

This is not on the menu. The Head Maitre d asked if he could surprise me with my next restricted diet dinner. Stuffed acron squash (vegetarian no capsaicin [pepper]).  Best squash ever!!

• Like 1

I have had many good meals on Princess cruises, but I honestly never get tired of the embarkation lunch with the avocado and bay shrimp appetizer, the salmon, and the orange souffle.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1