The Daily for Sunday Jun 14, 2020

richwmn

today is Flag Day and National Bourbon Day

"When in doubt, tell the truth."
        -- Mark Twain

Meal suggestion for today - Hot Chicken Salad

Since Wine is a constant topic here, this is from the top 100 from Total Wine one of the last three years

Louis Jadot Bourgogne vintage 2015

At Sea Indian Ocean
Veendam destination Jakarta eta 6/19
Zuiderdam destination Port Klang eta 6/16

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam destination Puerto Vallarta eta 6/15
Oosterdam destination Balboa Panama eta 6/15

Jakarta Anchorage
Eurodam

Lubuan
Maasdam

Manila Anchorage
Amsterdam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Rotterdam
Volendam

Singapore Anchorage
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Morning to all the Dailyites & my CC Sisters! Happy Flag Day to the folk in the USA!

And Bourbon Day! Yum! I just checked and I have some Maker’s Mark hiding in the back of my liquor cupboard.🥃

I got so excited to see Bourbon Day, I totally skipped over your wine recommendation! Thank you.

Great quote & meal suggestion! You are on a roll, Rich!

Tis a gorgeous morning here & I am off to do an early kayak “cruise”. Hope the dolphin are jumping!

Stay well everyone!

Edited by cat shepard
I missed the wine rec!😱
  • Like 7

Thank you for the report on a very cool Flag Day.  Sadly, I think this quote of the day seems to be quite widely ignored.  Somehow we need to bring it back.  Flag day also happens to be my brother's birthday.

Roy

• Like 4

image.jpeg.f4245ffeab6812f29ac5bc7631f3b34a.jpeg

Good morning Rich. Love your quote and dinner suggestion. Hello fellow Daily-ites and my 2 special sisters.

We've been shopping, shopping, shopping getting ready for our house to close Wednesday. We did a drive-by yesterday afternoon and everything is looking great. 

Wishing everyone a fabulous, peaceful day. Remember to stay safe. Those nasty covid numbers are on a rise..

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

.  Flag day also happens to be my brother's birthday.

Happy birthday to your brother, Roy 🙂 

22 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We've been shopping, shopping, shopping getting ready for our house to close Wednesday. We did a drive-by yesterday afternoon and everything is looking great. 

Yay on things looking good.  Hoping your closing and move in is nice and smooth on Wednesday 🤞

• Like 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich 🙂 

Our flag is flying high on a new pole DH bought for it.  And, he didn’t even know it was flag day today 😉 

No bourbon in the house so I guess I’ll have to stick with wine 😉  Thanks for the top wine info.

Mark Twain’s quote is so true.  

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Tis a gorgeous morning here & I am off to do an early kayak “cruise”. Hope the dolphin are jumping!

Have an awesome cruise!

Roy

• Like 1

Good morning and thank you, Rich, for the daily.  Sailor love your pictures.  Hot chicken salad sounds great, will have to take chicken out of the freezer.  The quote needs to be front and center for alot of people.  I'm a sweet white wine person, Moscato, being my favorite.  Hubby loves Merlot.

• Like 2

Thanks Rich once again!

Flag Day, a good reminder to me to get a new one. Our last one got taken out by a rather inconvenient tree limb that fell on the front of the house and busted through the roof....less than a month after we got a new roof put on. The Fates laugh at us mere mortals.

Bourbon Day. Yes, got that covered. Living on the Whiskey Trail has it's advantages. We actually have friends who, when they visit, load up due to variety and price. 

CTscan and DR appt last Friday were good. Doc says everything looks normal now and blood work is good too but he has me on ulcer meds for the next month. I am glad it is an easy fix. That is a relief. 

No clue what's for dinner tonight but yesterday we got boneless ribeyes, fresh corn, and sweet potatoes from our local butcher/produce mart and while I could only eat some of the grilled steak, it was divine. The grilled corn was also wonderful.

And since laughter is the best medicine...

IMG_0062.jpeg

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

CTscan and DR appt last Friday were good. Doc says everything looks normal now and blood work is good too but he has me on ulcer meds for the next month. I am glad it is an easy fix. That is a relief. 

That is really good to hear 😄. You must be very relieved and happy 🙂.  We’re all happy for you 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Truthfully, I'm not a bourbon drinker, but I love Scotch.  Rich, I'm not sure about the credibility of the Total Wine top 100 wines, as I didn't see Cardboardeaux on it at all.  A huge oversight, I'm sure heads will roll over it. 

Happy b'day to your brother, Roy; doesn't he live in Montreal?  

DS is in charge of dinner tonight, so I'm pretty sure we'll be having grilled burgers, baked potatoes, and corn.  And wine.

Smooth Sailing!  :classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Gerry

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, ger_77 said:

Happy b'day to your brother, Roy; doesn't he live in Montreal?  

Actually, he lives in Florida.  There has been mostly a southward drift to my family but not completely.  My parents both come from Quebec, South of Montreal but North of the US border:

map.JPG.0c790a61ea094c06bffbc4a349eedac9.JPG

As the area has become more French the family on my father's side has moved away (BC and NS) but a cousin still lives in the house where mom grew up (I visit about every couple years).  My parents moved to Central New York when they married, and I moved to Baltimore for my career.  Roger spent most of his working life in Miami with Eastern Airlines.  The moved to Iowa in 1992 when Eastern folded and my late sister in law became President of Grinell College.  Roger remained in Des Moines until a few months ago before settling into a retirement community near Melbourne.

Roy

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Rich, I'm not sure about the credibility of the Total Wine top 100 wines, as I didn't see Cardboardeaux on it at all.  A huge oversight, I'm sure heads will roll over it. 

Seemed like a good place to start

• Like 3

Thanks for the dailies Rich.  It's not flag day in Canada, but for us every day is.  We have a winter and summer flag, the summer flagpole is longer and the flag bigger!  🇨🇦 Roy, it's nice to hear of your Canadian connection.  Love today's quote, if only.....

• Like 2

Good morning Rich to all CCers, and to my 2 very special sisters!!

quote  for the day Mark Twain is a wise man👍 Now here’s a quote from David this am on National Bourbon 🥃 Day!

”Works for me” He probably has 3 different 
brands to go with cigars when we sit outside. I went to our wine cabinet to check on the wine Rich was talking about.

I have a Louis Jadot Bourgogne vintage 2013 it was a gift last year for my birthday. Today I am making Cioppino.!! Going to the store for all of my fresh fish this am. Love cooking so I will be in my element!
To everyone have a wonderful Sunday! To all

that post such great posts, thank you! I so enjoy reading all and getting to know everyone just alittle more!

Denise😊

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Tis a gorgeous morning here & I am off to do an early kayak “cruise”. Hope the dolphin are jumping.

Dear Cat,

Because of you we got our kayaks out and finally are using them a couple of weeks ago! We took them to Shelter Island yesterday and kayaked around! Just love the Ocean especially when a seal or 2 pop their heads up and swim along!

Have a relaxing morning kayaking!

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Dear Joy!

Fun, Fun, Fun!!! Exciting to be shopping especially for your new house!! I know your being taken care of really well at Sheraton, but Wednesday can’t come soon enough for you and Allen! So toast your closing on Wednesday we sure will and keep us all posted👍
Denise😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good morning (oh, it's almost afternoon).

Thank you for the Daily Report.

Our power has just come back on, it's been off for scheduled maintenance since 6 this morning.  Oh, how I missed it, I'd have made a poor pioneer, I love my modern conveniences.

Love that quote from Mark Twain.

We're going to grill a steak for dinner tonight.  With potato and salad, and wine of course.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay healthy.

• Like 4