New Cruising Normal.....

ToxM

14 hours ago, zap99 said:

Woe is me, the end is nigh. Spain has announced that Brits can enter from Sunday without any quarantine. The first of many. Good news out there if you care to look.

Personally, I think Spain is mad to let us back in with the infection and death rate we still have - and as someone lucky enough to be a regular visitor there, I am keen to get back over there!

• Like 7

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

Good news, but once you get to Spain the restrictions in force make it a slightly surreal experience. Rigidly enforced social distancing everywhere from bars  to sun beds. 

We have a villa holiday booked in Spain for September, but we will be forfeiting the deposit, because our Spanish friends  dont believe the situation will have improved significantly in the next few months.

I think that is somewhat variable. I have seen photos sent to me by friends who live there that show very little social distancing...  It was very strict in lockdown which has got them to a very low infection/death rate now.

24 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Personally, I think Spain is mad to let us back in with the infection and death rate we still have - and as someone lucky enough to be a regular visitor there, I am keen to get back over there!

We're looking at March for the Canaries. Earlier than that it's a matter of seeing how the guinea pigs get on.

On 6/18/2020 at 8:36 AM, Son of Anarchy said:

Thanks for posting the link.  Sheds some light on what we can expect when cruising restarts.

One thing that crossed my mind was the shows (if they have any!).  Why not show them live on the cabin's TV.  At least those who can't get into the venue early enough to get seats can watch from their cabins.  Indeed some pax might prefer to watch the show from their cabin.  

Saga already do this. It's a great idea and way of relaxing on your balcony while listening to the show.

• Like 2

Something that could spoil a holiday/cruise at first, which is another reason not to be a guinea pig, is that locals at ports could be worried its too early and be unfriendly or, at worst,  a bit hostile.

I hope that wouldn't happen, but its a possibility.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Something that could spoil a holiday/cruise at first, which is another reason not to be a guinea pig, is that locals at ports could be worried its too early and be unfriendly or, at worst,  a bit hostile.

It happened on Reunion back in Feb/March.  A cruise ship with if memory serves me right mostly Australian pax, were greeted by crowds of hostile locals demonstrating outside the port.  The demo ended up being broken up by the police after rocks were thrown and small barricades and fires started.  Passengers were bussed into town I believe with no reported incidents involving pax.

On 6/23/2020 at 8:52 AM, Host Sharon said:

Saga already do this. It's a great idea and way of relaxing on your balcony while listening to the show.

Fred Olsen do this as well. We have used it several times to enjoy a show and the view.

On 6/23/2020 at 9:47 AM, indiana123 said:

I have wondered this.... there's already quite a bit of hostility in some  ports against cruise ships.

Edited by Scriv

52 minutes ago, Scriv said:

there's already quite a bit of hostility in some  ports against cruise ships

But why??  I know it's the pandemic and spreading the virus, that's a given. What I don't  understand is the reasoning behind plane loads of tourists allowed to  enter the country but not a cruise ship. I would  also like to know why cruise ships are taking the brunt of all this when the main cause of the spread of infection came from air travel. It seems as if the media have got their teeth into the so called "floating petri dish" 😠 headline and won't let go. Even our government are prepared to allow air corridors and no quarantine on returning tourists. Am I missing something here,  or am I just one  confused, frustrated and very  annoyed cruiser?

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

But why??  I know it's the pandemic and spreading the virus, that's a given. What I don't  understand is the reasoning behind plane loads of tourists allowed to  enter the country but not a cruise ship. I would  also like to know why cruise ships are taking the brunt of all this when the main cause of the spread of infection came from air travel. It seems as if the media have got their teeth into the so called "floating petri dish" 😠 headline and won't let go. Even our government are prepared to allow air corridors and no quarantine on returning tourists. Am I missing something here,  or am I just one  confused, frustrated and very  annoyed cruiser?

Avril 

Basically cruisers are seen as not big spenders but those who fly in are so they can attack the cruise industry without much effect on the local economy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Basically cruisers are seen as not big spenders but those who fly in are so they can attack the cruise industry without much effect on the local economy 

That's just my point Bazrat. What will be gained by attacking the cruise industry? Granted they will get more revenue from tourists that stay in the hotels etc but revenue also comes from cruise ships. There are port docking fees, which are quite substantial, and port taxes. Not forgetting the replenishing of supplies etc, and there are tour buses and taxis. Multiply that by at least 3 cruise ships a day and it adds up. It's all revenue!!!

Avril 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's just my point Bazrat. What will be gained by attacking the cruise industry? Granted they will get more revenue from tourists that stay in the hotels etc but revenue also comes from cruise ships. There are port docking fees, which are quite substantial, and port taxes. Not forgetting the replenishing of supplies etc, and there are tour buses and taxis. Multiply that by at least 3 cruise ships a day and it adds up. It's all revenue!!!

Avril 

According to CLIA Europe, the cruise industry contributed just short of Euro 50 billion to the European economies in 2017 and accounted for 403,000 jobs, these figures issued in 2018 which was the latest year available.  This covers everything from shipbuilding through to re-stocking ships and everything in between, somehow I think that Spain will be coming under a great deal of pressure from the other beneficiaries of cruising to find a way to allow cruising to restart in Q4 as currently planned.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

According to CLIA Europe, the cruise industry contributed just short of Euro 50 billion to the European economies in 2017 and accounted for 403,000 jobs, these figures issued in 2018 which was the latest year available.  This covers everything from shipbuilding through to re-stocking ships and everything in between, somehow I think that Spain will be coming under a great deal of pressure from the other beneficiaries of cruising to find a way to allow cruising to restart in Q4 as currently planned.

I remember reading somewhere that port/docking fees alone cost at the least 10% of base cruise price, which is covered by the passenger. 

Avril 

59 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I remember reading somewhere that port/docking fees alone cost at the least 10% of base cruise price, which is covered by the passenger. 

Avril 

The port fees are normally based on the tonnage of the ship, iirc. The percentage of the fare will vary depending on the price of the cabin. eg port fees may amount to 25% of the cruise cost for an inside cabin, but only 5% for a suite.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

The port fees are normally based on the tonnage of the ship, iirc. The percentage of the fare will vary depending on the price of the cabin. eg port fees may amount to 25% of the cruise cost for an inside cabin, but only 5% for a suite.

Thanks for the information wowzz. When you look at the revenue for the EU that is generated from the cruising industry it just beggars belief that cruise ships and their passengers are being made the scapegoats. 

Avril 

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Thanks for the information wowzz. When you look at the revenue for the EU that is generated from the cruising industry it just beggars belief that cruise ships and their passengers are being made the scapegoats. 

Avril 

I don't think the cruise industry is being made a scapegoat,  more that cruise ships are more likely to be the source of multiple cases of CV19.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I don't think the cruise industry is being made a scapegoat,  more that cruise ships are more likely to be the source of multiple cases of CV19.

That's other than meat packing factories, Korean cult churches, care homes and hospitals.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I do understand that, but so were the airlines. No one knows how many cases of Covid were coming in by air they were unable to be counted. Cases onboard the ships  were. A bit like the theory of a certain chap over the pond😆

Avril 

On 6/28/2020 at 5:25 PM, wowzz said:

How many cases of the virus did P&O have probably less than your average airline

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

How many cases of the virus did P&O have probably less than your average airline

I've been trying to find out, and up to now I can't find anything. I'm assuming it's next to none otherwise it would have been plastered all over the news by now.

Avril 

• Like 1

The point is that regardless of what happened in the past, cruise ships with thousands of people on board, with limited scope for social distancing, are a potential source of infection.

Conversely,  aircraft with their air conditioning systems,  are much more low risk. 

I would happily take my chance on a 2 hour flight, complete with face masks, compared to 7 days, let alone 14 days on a cruise ship. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The point is that regardless of what happened in the past, cruise ships with thousands of people on board, with limited scope for social distancing, are a potential source of infection.

Conversely,  aircraft with their air conditioning systems,  are much more low risk. 

I would happily take my chance on a 2 hour flight, complete with face masks, compared to 7 days, let alone 14 days on a cruise ship. 

I understand why you have those views wowzz but its mainly media hype, in all our 30+ cruises neither of us have fallen ill from anything to do with the cruise catering or hygiene standards.  We have however both been quarantined as a precaution due to tummy bugs,though, mine was caused by a dodgy bison steak in Jasper on a pre-cruise tour, Pauline's was a weird Burrito for lunch in Guatemala or maybe it was Honduras, both while on Princess holidays.

Something like Coronavirus or Noro will have been brought on board by a passenger or crew member, and I doubt a cruise ship is anymore of a petridish in those circumstances, than would be a large resort hotel, many of which probably have far lower hygiene standards than most cruise ships.

Anyway we hope to be back on board in Feb. if cruising has re-started by then and there are no FCO travel restriction advisories, we already have confirmation that our travel insurance is good for all covid medical expenses, including repatriation up to our full £10m limit.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Something like Coronavirus or Noro will have been brought on board by a passenger or crew member, and I doubt a cruise ship is anymore of a petridish in those circumstances, than would be a large resort hotel, many of which probably have far lower hygiene standards than most cruise ships.

I think the issue is not really about hygiene standards per se, but transmission of CV19, both within the ship, and also ashore. Given the time it takes for symptoms to become apparent, one person can easily transmit the disease to hundreds of other passengers,  who in turn can then spread the virus in every port they visit.  

Whilst I agree that large hotels face similar challenges, the guests of the hotel will not, over the period of their holiday, visit 3 or 4 different countries. 

Personally, I think the safest form of holiday at present,  is self catering, either in the UK or abroad.

• Like 1

Saga Spirit of Adventure has announced that she will be sailing on her inaugural cruise November 5th leaving from Southampton for a 14 night Mediterranean cruise. Whether it will go ahead remains to be seen, but I think it would be the first cruise to leave Southampton since March. Just a small flickering light at the end of the tunnel, but a light none-the-less.

Avril 

• Like 1