New Cruising Normal.....

ToxM

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

Saga Spirit of Adventure has announced that she will be sailing on her inaugural cruise November 5th leaving from Southampton for a 14 night Mediterranean cruise. Whether it will go ahead remains to be seen, but I think it would be the first cruise to leave Southampton since March. Just a small flickering light at the end of the tunnel, but a light none-the-less.

Avril 

If Britannia and Azura do start their Caribbean season on time, then their TAs could be the first cruises leaving Southampton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Saga Spirit of Adventure has announced that she will be sailing on her inaugural cruise November 5th leaving from Southampton for a 14 night Mediterranean cruise. Whether it will go ahead remains to be seen, but I think it would be the first cruise to leave Southampton since March. Just a small flickering light at the end of the tunnel, but a light none-the-less.

Avril 

We are due to cruise on Arcadia on 18 October (if it goes ahead!)

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

If Britannia and Azura do start their Caribbean season on time, then their TAs could be the first cruises leaving Southampton.

39 minutes ago, ann141 said:

We are due to cruise on Arcadia on 18 October (if it goes ahead!)

I certainly hope they do. We are booked on Arcadia for November 6th and still hoping.

Avril 

• Like 1

EU Healthy Gateways has published a report laying out health and safety procedures for cruise ships.

The report, published today, will allow for public health authorities across Europe to support the resumption of cruise activity in a coordinated way – allowing more cruise lines to return to operation.

https://www.worldofcruising.co.uk/coronavirus-cruise-report-procedures-ships/

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

EU Healthy Gateways has published a report laying out health and safety procedures for cruise ships.

The report, published today, will allow for public health authorities across Europe to support the resumption of cruise activity in a coordinated way – allowing more cruise lines to return to operation.

https://www.worldofcruising.co.uk/coronavirus-cruise-report-procedures-ships/

So, basically,  the same as my local Aldi.

I can't see how the recommendations in the report can be carried out unless the pax capacity is reduced by at least 50%. Even then, how do you ensure social distancing in the corridors, entry to restaurants etc?

Basically, it says nothing that we don't already know, which is that cruise ships cannot sail at full capacity for the forseeable future,  thus putting the whole cruise market at risk of collapse. 

• Like 2

Sounds like you would have a wonderful time onboard,, don’t think i will bother.

5 weeks till pay my balance date, not looking very good is it.

lets just hope things are a bit better by July 21 our next cruise after our supposed Nov 20 one, trouble is i have my doubts still and thats if P and O even keep the ship by then(Aurora).

Edited by Chrisdriving

Here's the link to the actual report, it does not look good for cruising getting started anytime soon.

https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EU_HEALTHY_GATEWAYS_COVID-19_RESTARTING_CRUISES.pdf?ver=2020-07-01-115942-557

this section is interesting - 'bubbles'?

It is also recommended that crew and passengers are divided into cohorts (designated
groups) and are served food at different times to limit interactions. In addition, limiting
seating capacities in dining areas or using reservations to control passenger crowds could be
implemented. The duration that restaurants are open could be extended to allow the
rotating attendance of passengers in cohorts. The frequency of food service could also be
increased to limit crowding and ensure physical distancing is maintained.

I discovered you can search the pdf file by using CTRL + F and a search box pops up

Edited by davecttr

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Here's the link to the actual report, it does not look good for cruising getting started anytime soon.

https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EU_HEALTHY_GATEWAYS_COVID-19_RESTARTING_CRUISES.pdf?ver=2020-07-01-115942-557

this section is interesting - 'bubbles'?

It is also recommended that crew and passengers are divided into cohorts (designated
groups) and are served food at different times to limit interactions. In addition, limiting
seating capacities in dining areas or using reservations to control passenger crowds could be
implemented. The duration that restaurants are open could be extended to allow the
rotating attendance of passengers in cohorts. The frequency of food service could also be

I discovered you can search the pdf file by using CTRL + F and a search box pops up

Given that the buffet is open virtually 24 hours a day, and that that the MDR is open for around 10 hours a day, I'm not sure how much more the frequency of food service can be increased. 

I suppose club dining could be made compulsory,  with 4 sittings at dinner, with sittings at, say 16:00, 18:00 20:00 and 22:00, but I can't see that being very popular. 

Also, how do you "bubble " people with regard to bars? Allocate bars to individual "bubbles" of passengers?

The only way that cruising can restart, based on the report, is if ships sail at no more than 50% capacity, with strict segregation with regard to use of public areas. Doesn't sound like much fun, and probably not economically viable.  

Edited by wowzz

Two other recommendations from the report are of interest.

One is that masks should be worn by the crew and passengers at all times when inside the ship. (Obviously not whilst eating and drinking)

Secondly that in restaurants, buffets etc, all tables must be 1.5 metres apart, and only those in the same cabin can share a table. With those protocols in place,  breakfast alone could take 8 hours to serve! 

Fun & games for the over 65s etc

Passengers in high risk groups including people over 65 years of age or people of any age with underlying medical conditions (chronic diseases including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, respiratory diseases and immunocompromised individuals) should be advised to visit a doctor for pre-travel medical consultation to assess if they are fit to travel. Activities and services on board cruise ships could be organized according to age group, so that older individuals are separated from other age groups.

No thank you 🙁

I think my cruising days are done

It was great while it lasted

I’m glad I went with heart not head and maybe spent more time & money than I really should, whilst I had the chance

• Like 2

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

Didn't the Romans have cohorts?

Romanes eunt domus!

or should it be:

Romani ite domum!

Does make you wonder if the cruise lines can or should be currently selling cruises?

If these guidelines have to be adhered to then you are clearly not going to get what was advertised or what you paid for.

Edited by Bobblehat71
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bobblehat71 said:

Does make you wonder if the cruise lines can or should be currently selling cruises?

If these guidelines have to be adhered to then you are clearly not going to get what was advertised or what you paid for.

Having sat on expert EU panels in a previous life, you will find that experts can't agree, or will try and avoid diffinitive statements. Clues are in words like should ( advisory ) and shall ( mandatory ) are advised to, instead of are required to. Called weasel words in the trade.

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

I'd happily cruise with these protocols in place. Anyone not complying should be "debarked" at the next port.

Same here.  Yes, some of the guidance will detract from the "usual" cruise experience that we are used to, the alternative is sit at home and wait for the inevitable.

Interesting that the guidance provides for group bookings to dine together 👍.  That said, it remains to seen how many tables of more than 2 remain.

Not too keen on no kettles in cabins, but not a deal breaker.

Interesting that the guidance appears to promote in cabin dining.  MDR menu on the balcony?  Would go for that weather permitting.

Overall more pros than cons for us.

Ultimately, its guidance.  The word should is used throughout rather than must.  Also, its from the EU.  I appreciate that PandO may well end up having to comply with the guidance when visiting EU ports, but don't see that the EU can enforce the guidance on cruises that do not enter EU ports/territorial waters.  But I think there is some good stuff in there that should or even must be given serious consideration to implementing.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I’d happily do something entirely different.

Me too. Wearing a mask for much of the day, having to eat at certain times, half the sun beds removed, half the seats in the bars and theatre removed, no tours, restrictions on where you can go when in port - it's not much of a holiday is it?

Just now, wowzz said:

Me too. Wearing a mask for much of the day, having to eat at certain times, half the sun beds removed, half the seats in the bars and theatre removed, no tours, restrictions on where you can go when in port - it's not much of a holiday is it?

Just missing the barbed wire!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Some of that sounds great. Half the seats/sunbeds, half the passengers. Room in the MDR. Leave the grumpies ashore. Bliss.🦞😂

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Some of that sounds great. Half the seats/sunbeds, half the passengers. Room in the MDR. Leave the grumpies ashore. Bliss.🦞😂

Yup, part of it does sound good. The downside of course is that prices will need to increase dramatically to make up for the vastly reduced passenger numbers.

BoldKeyboard shortcut Command+B

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Yup, part of it does sound good. The downside of course is that prices will need to increase dramatically to make up for the vastly reduced passenger numbers.

And for the currently booked cruises up to half of the cabins may have to be cancelled meaning even you agree with the measures you may not make the cut anyway.

35 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Fair point, but as always you pays your money etc.

33 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

BoldKeyboard shortcut Command+B

And for the currently booked cruises up to half of the cabins may have to be cancelled meaning even you agree with the measures you may not make the cut anyway.

There are so many posting that they won't cruise again untill there is a vaccine and a written guarantee, in triplicate that they won't have to share with anyone else,that half empty won't be an issue.