Carnival to sell at least 6 ships

I think all of the major cruise lines will be downsizing by either selling or scrapping ships and postponing / canceling new builds where contractually possible. The problem is how many buyers are there currently for a used cruise ship?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

I think all of the major cruise lines will be downsizing by either selling or scrapping ships and postponing / canceling new builds where contractually possible. The problem is how many buyers are there currently for a used cruise ship?

Agree. Who would buy them? Makes no sense to me unless they are there very, very old ships and would be used for something other than cursing. A port hotel maybe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Agree. Who would buy them? Makes no sense to me unless they are there very, very old ships and would be used for something other than cursing. A port hotel maybe.

They make great artificial reefs but would be very expensive to get proper permitted to sink. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Looks like they are the older, outdated ships. Not surprising

• Like 1

Oldest ships 1990 Fantasy, 1991 Ecstasy, 1993 Sensation 1994 Fascination and so on. The Victory 1997 is getting refitted and changed into the radiance. One day while walking back tot he ship my wife and I were trying to name all of them. She made a mistake and we have been laughing ever since. Guess this new ship will be a lot smaller and have a real hot burning incinerator on it. It will be your last cruise for sure. Calling it the "Carnival Cremation"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thought the Joe Farcus Vegas like interiors on these ships were hideous when these ships were brand new. They have not aged well either. Empress, Vision, Majesty, Enchantment, Rhapsody and Grandeur are all in the same age bracket, but have aged gracefully.  Reef or scrap for these Fantasy class ships would be an appropriate outcome.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, coaster said:

Thought the Joe Farcus Vegas like interiors on these ships were hideous when these ships were brand new. They have not aged well either. Empress, Vision, Majesty, Enchantment, Rhapsody and Grandeur are all in the same age bracket, but have aged gracefully.  Reef or scrap for these Fantasy class ships would be an appropriate outcome.

True, and half Royal ships of same Class (Sovereign & Vison) already long gone. But will be sad day when the Vision and Radiance Class(sizes) are gone

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Oldest ships 1990 Fantasy, 1991 Ecstasy, 1993 Sensation 1994 Fascination and so on. The Victory 1997 is getting refitted and changed into the radiance. One day while walking back tot he ship my wife and I were trying to name all of them. She made a mistake and we have been laughing ever since. Guess this new ship will be a lot smaller and have a real hot burning incinerator on it. It will be your last cruise for sure. Calling it the "Carnival Cremation"

Not  necessarily all carnival. The parent company owns 10 cruise lines. Probably wouldnt scrap all fantasy class. I think its Jacksonville or one close that only a smaller ship can sail under the bridge. 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Not  necessarily all carnival. The parent company owns 10 cruise lines. Probably wouldnt scrap all fantasy class. I think its Jacksonville or one close that only a smaller ship can sail under the bridge. 

I think there are some smaller HAL ships involved instead of all Fantasy class ships. Rather see the Fantasy class go rather than the older HAL ships with class. I get the business decision though.

Edited by coaster

4 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

Highly unlikely as the newer ships are more efficient to  operate and friendlier on the environment

2 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

More likely sale / leaseback as a financing maneuver

Pretty sure Yorkvillian used the sarcasm font.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Carnivals Celebration from 1987 Has been in the Bahamas Paradise Cruise line as the Grand Celebration. The ship look great in and out. A 33 year old ship.

I would pick the former Costa Classica over the former Carnival Celebration if I ever had to book a Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line ship. She was an expensive ship for her time and a beauty inside and out. 

Edited by coaster