Cruise industry announces US sailing suspension extended until Sept. 15

shof515

1 hour ago, bury me at sea said:

I hate this piece at a time stuff.  I say that understanding full well that the cruise lines want desperately to start cruising again.

I envision that in August or September, they will cancel again through December.  And then in November or December, they might really be able to say when they will cruise again.  They cannot refund 6-8 months of booked cruises all at once, so they have to do it in these increments (this isn't a complaint, it's just the logistics of it).  I will be delightfully surprised if there is sailing before next May.

• Like 7

Am I the only person who saw the word "voluntary" in there? CLIA is simply a membership organization for cruise lines. They aren't a health organization or anything. They're just saying that some member cruise lines are not sailing by choice. That said, do I think we'll be sailing in August? I hope so, but am doubtful. it all depends on what the CDC says. Right now, sailings are stopped until July 24. I take what they say much more seriously than the CLIA.

• Like 2

We are booked on the Pride out of Baltimore at the end of October.  While they have Aug & Sept "greyed out" for bookings if you search for cruises in October all that is showing now are 2 & 3 day crusies.  It seems to me that is their current plan to start back up, sometime in October with only 3 & 4 day cruises. So I am pretty sure our October cruise will cancell.  In any case there is no way I will be making final payment in July for it without something more definitive on a plan to start back with CDC approvals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shirleybird said:

It would also be nice if they made the call before the final payment is due!!!!  

My PVP called yesterday wanting me to book out of Galveston or Florida in August.  Carnival doesn't do its employees any favors either.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

We are booked on the Pride out of Baltimore at the end of October.  While they have Aug & Sept "greyed out" for bookings if you search for cruises in October all that is showing now are 2 & 3 day crusies.  It seems to me that is their current plan to start back up, sometime in October with only 3 & 4 day cruises. So I am pretty sure our October cruise will cancell.  In any case there is no way I will be making final payment in July for it without something more definitive on a plan to start back with CDC approvals.

Out of Galveston I only see dream, 4 and 5 day cruises available in oct. 

We are booked for South Pacific departing sept 27th. I hope they don’t wait till the 15th to extend again. No more FCC. Too risky. I’m with going like the canary in a coal mine or bailing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

15 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Same here.  I was told that the information did not come from them and that cruises for August and September were still on.  My final payment was due Sunday.  I had just paid $375, so just had that transferred to one of our cruises for next year. 

They wanted your interest free loan that was due before the weekend was up.

Edited by xDisconnections

18 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

The association article says through September 15.  Where did you read through September?

You can not book a cruise  in Sept because it's grayed out....   it means all Sept cruises are canceled....

1 minute ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

You can not book a cruise  in Sept because it's grayed out....   it means all Sept cruises are canceled....

October cruises on the Vista and the Freedom are also unavailable.  The obvious unanswered question would be, so what about October?

1 minute ago, bury me at sea said:

October cruises on the Vista and the Freedom are also unavailable.  The obvious unanswered question would be, so what about October?

Are they in ports that weren't going to be opened by August 1?  Or maybe, again, they are waiting to see what is going to happen.

41 minutes ago, naxer said:

I envision that in August or September, they will cancel again through December.  And then in November or December, they might really be able to say when they will cruise again.  They cannot refund 6-8 months of booked cruises all at once, so they have to do it in these increments (this isn't a complaint, it's just the logistics of it).  I will be delightfully surprised if there is sailing before next May.

Ha! If they aren't sailing by October, there won't be any November or later cruises to worry about as the industry will collapse under bankruptcy. I have a cruise next March where about 60% already is paid via FCC (they have that money whether I like it or not) from cancelled cruise and I'm not worried about paying remaining by December as Carnival will be in bankruptcy by then if they're not cruising at that point.

Edited by embarkation75

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

It's not that some people think cruises won't resume until a vaccine.  Most people here have no problem with other people's opinions.  But it's the constant negativity that some people would inject in every single conversation.  There's nothing wrong with believing cruises won't happen for a very long time.  However, hammering it in to every conversation with negativity is what people are referring to with gloom and doomers.  They try to bring down every single conversation with their negativity instead of simply discussing things.  I know some people won't be able to see the difference, but many people do.

There are people in my life who are constantly negative about everything.  It's a downer to have conversations with people who ALWAYS see the worst in situations.

Good observation.  I much rather spend time with people who have a positive outlook on things.  If things don't work out as hoped, I would still rather spend time with a person with a positive attitude and not someone who gloats.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, cbh1975 said:

Am I the only person who saw the word "voluntary" in there? CLIA is simply a membership organization for cruise lines. They aren't a health organization or anything. They're just saying that some member cruise lines are not sailing by choice. That said, do I think we'll be sailing in August? I hope so, but am doubtful. it all depends on what the CDC says. Right now, sailings are stopped until July 24. I take what they say much more seriously than the CLIA.

“This voluntary suspension applies to all CLIA members to which the No Sail Order applied (vessels with capacity to carry 250 persons or more). CLIA member cruise lines will continually evaluate the evolving situation and make a determination as to whether a further extension is necessary.”

https://cruising.org/news-and-research/press-room/2020/june/clia-announces-voluntary-suspension-of-cruise-operations-from-us-ports

2 hours ago, Joe817 said:

I could see a week or 2 ago, that this might be the case. And this directive came from the CLIA this morning, so this is very  fresh news. Bummer. Our cruise was scheduled to sail Sept. 13. Missed it by 2 days. 😕

Carnival doesnt sail out of Galveston on a Tuesday, usually...... if the 15th is a true date I wonder if they will wait until the weekend or rain some shirt cruises. 

Well crap. I'm booked on the Sunshine out of Charleston for Sept. 28th after having earlier cruises cancelled twice...at this point I don't know whether my husband should even bother locking in the time off from work. 😕

1 minute ago, Lottacruises said:

Carnival doesnt sail out of Galveston on a Tuesday, usually...... if the 15th is a true date I wonder if they will wait until the weekend or rain some shirt cruises. 

You can not book a cruise for Sept because its grayed out

Just now, Butterbean1000 said:

Good observation.  I much rather spend time with people who have a positive outlook on things.  If things don't work out as hoped, I would still rather spend time with a person with a positive attitude and not someone who gloats.

Me too!  I have no problem with differing opinions and actually like discussing things.  But man, some people are constantly negative about everything.  It would be a real bummer to go through life always thinking the worst and trying to bring down everyone around you.  It's like someone going to a birthday party, smashing the cake and bursting all of the balloons.  LOL.  I refuse to have my positive and hopeful attitude brought down and continue to hope for the best.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, cbh1975 said:

Am I the only person who saw the word "voluntary" in there?

CLIA is "voluntarily" suspending cruises because they know that any progress towards meeting the CDC requirements to resume cruising, and then following up with implementation and recrewing will be mid-Sept at the earliest.  They are merely bending to the inevitable.

• Like 1